• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

_A1

Smash Apprentice
@Hylian I never said shine spikes are uncommon. They happen all the time, obviously. It's just that sometimes Fox is amazing/broken/whatever and other times the other player had it coming.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Uh, it would, if upB's range was anywhere near the range of Marth's grab. Also, again, in the gif posted, it's only a remotely feasible option because the Marth chose to slowly walk across the entire stage rather than getting the guaranteed grab during Bowser's wakeup vulnerability.
He sticks his arm out, Bowser's upB is invincible until the hitbox comes out. In practice I've seen it trade a lot in these situations.

Just looked at the frame data and hitboxes for melee Marth to be sure. His grab is not really disjointed in the front, he will collide into your upB with his arm, trade.

Actually with the startup invincibility being 4 frames and Marth's grab only being active for two, you have a pretty decent shot at just denying his grab and hitting him with upB.

Uh, it would, if upB's range was anywhere near the range of Marth's grab. Also, again, in the gif posted, it's only a remotely feasible option because the Marth chose to slowly walk across the entire stage rather than getting the guaranteed grab during Bowser's wakeup vulnerability.This may or may not be true. I think Marth actually has guaranteed flowchart edgeguards against Bowser, mostly due to how his hugely disjointed dair interacts with Bowser's highly linear/slow recovery; but it's possible that Bowser has nonreactable mixups. In practice so far, the latter is true, but there's not a ton of Marth players that know the matchup.
This breaking up posts thing sucks.

Close to the stage like that he probably needs at least a slight read to seal the deal. Bowser hardly has any specific mixup options, but DJ, airdodge, counterattack with Fair, armor with nair and possibly high upB to a platform give him something.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
@ Ace55 Ace55 Fair point about the grab's lack of disjoint, but my statement re: not missing Bowser's tech vulnerability timing stands. In that specific example, he could have easily caught up much faster by dashing and not given the Bowser any opportunity to act whatsoever.

As for recovering, like I said, it's complicated - nobody actually knows if it's a true flowchart situation or not. Bowser has some analog mixups, but not nearly as many as you'd think in most situations. Because of how low Marth's dtilt reaches (and its disjoint), Bowser is effectively forced to

1. go high and get either tippered or dunked- he's too huge and slow of a target in the air for Marth to really miss
2. go low and try for a difficult sweetspot. This is difficult or impossible for Marth to stop in some situations (ie. he's on the ledge and bowser's already at the perfect height to DJ and sweetspot), but it's questionable as to whether those situations need ever occur in the first place. If Bowser goes low, Marth has the options of

1. Safely sitting on ledge and dtilting, hoping that the Bowser will mess up sweetspotting (guaranteed kill in some situations - ie. Bowser forgot that medium-height is not an option; up to Bowser to not mess up in others)
2. dropzone sourspot fair to reset the situation if Bowser DI's away, lead to a Ken combo if he DI's in
3. empty drop into DJ fair on a read, or if Bowser has already committed to using his upB
4. Grabbing edge, gaining invincibility, killing Bowser with dair (I think some variation on this and 5 is guaranteed in probably most situations). This is tough to mess up if Bowser has to recover mostly horizontally.
5. Killing Bowser with onstage SH dair. Bowser can't really sweetspot around this horizontally if he's recovering vertically

etcetera.

EDIT: I should point out in fairness that I think Bowser can also edgeguard Marth pretty much 100% of the time; it's just that those situations should be much rarer due to the unbelievably stacked neutral.

Same. Honestly I love the changes that were made in 3.5. and he feel a lot more viable than ever before.
Yeah, gives me a major jealousy boner.

Nair is busted.
I know it's a huge deal in floaty matchups, but how much do you think it helps in previously highly-difficult MUs like Fox?

RAR Tipman is also busted. I can't wait for someone like @Eikelmann to whip that one out vs M2K or something.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think Nair is busted outside of floaties just because of its option as OoS and the fact that it has that range combined with a better startup in tandem with less jumpsquat frames. It adds up to make a move that is that long, that good, and that reliable that ALSO autocancels even on a fastfall.

From what I can tell it's just in general really amazing and silly : D

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I know it's a huge deal in floaty matchups, but how much do you think it helps in previously highly-difficult MUs like Fox?
Not as busted, but still busted. Links both hits reliably if you maneuver right, leads into silly combos and/or tech chases, decent in neutral, fairly safe on shield even on Fox. You can't use it as an OoS option reliably because Fox though.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Snake's a pretty hype character and I want to feel the hype when he kills me : not feel like I'm being cheated off of a stock.
http://gfycat.com/DistinctDistantFoxhound

Plz remove the ability to cancel the waking up animation it's stupid.

Note : not johning, I've actually won that match/set.

Boiko

:drshrug:
The biggest thing I don't like about Snake is dthrow tech chases. What do you do against that if you're next to the ledge? That's how Prof got at least 80% of his kills against me.

steelguttey

mei is bei
inb4steelguttey
LOL

i love how me and robo have become the standard for olimar posters when we post about olimar the same amount as other people post about their characters

the only difference is that were the 2 people that played olimar in 3.0

steelguttey

mei is bei
there is no real tier list

if you want to win, pick olimar. if you want to be a low tier hero, pick fox.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is still soooooo good.
NAIRRRRRR
Hover cancelllsssss
Shadow ball

And his dtilt is competing with Ness'

Last edited:

Mr_Shadow

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Anyway thoughts on Ganon?
Overall i'd say he's pretty good but i'd have play with him more before i can make a serious assessment. If they're gonna toss out his warlock punch i wish they'd substitute it for a sword attack of some sort (although i like the fact that he can levitate)

Foo

Smash Lord
Overall i'd say he's pretty good but i'd have play with him more before i can make a serious assessment. If they're gonna toss out his warlock punch i wish they'd substitute it for a sword attack of some sort (although i like the fact that he can levitate)
Troll confirmed.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
I wish they had just left Mewtwo alone & gave everyone else a buff
Dude yes! Diddy should have 3 or 4 bananas, IC's should wobble, Link should throws 2 boomerangs at once, yoshi's upthrow yields 3 free up-smashes instead of 1, etc.

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Make every character's tail as long as Mewtwo's while you're at it. If they don't have a tail give them one.

balance

Mr_Shadow

Smash Rookie
Double Posting Warning Received
Troll confirmed.
what do you mean?

Dude yes! Diddy should have 3 or 4 bananas, IC's should wobble, Link should throws 2 boomerangs at once, yoshi's upthrow yields 3 free up-smashes instead of 1, etc.
If it makes the game more interesting then why not?

Make every character's tail as long as Mewtwo's while you're at it. If they don't have a tail give them one.

balance
Why would a tail be a prerequisite for a buff? You make no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Down Taunt pls.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
@ Mr_Shadow Mr_Shadow , I think your idea for a sword wielding Ganondorf is brilliant and extremely original! So much so, that I would like you to share more of your insight on balance in PM by sharing your own tier list! Would you, please?

Mr_Shadow

Smash Rookie
@ Mr_Shadow Mr_Shadow , I think your idea for a sword wielding Ganondorf is brilliant and extremely original! So much so, that I would like you to share more of your insight on balance in PM by sharing your own tier list! Would you, please?
So you can steal credit for it? No thanks.

Down Taunt pls.
Taunts are for tryhards like yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
And here I was starting to think this wasn't part of the internet at large, full of wild trolls and troll bait alike. Huh, has smashboards gotten their anit-trollware up to date and active?

*edit* and 102 too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom