• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
i feel like midweights even with changes to come will always be top tier because of their ability to combo well but still be floaty enough to get out of a lot of combos. i feel like this is why pit, diddy and mario are widely considered to be among the i play for money tier. the midweights that arent among top tier i feel is because of their reliance on certain unique aspects. zss pretty much relies on paralyzer for setups. ike relies on qd, sonic relies on spindash (although im ok with that one. it just makes sense). and while all work, you're basically relying on one move. but the top tier midweights are just consistent in that they have many different options for many different matchups and situations

Ya Boy GP

Smash Apprentice
i feel like midweights even with changes to come will always be top tier because of their ability to combo well but still be floaty enough to get out of a lot of combos. i feel like this is why pit, diddy and mario are widely considered to be among the i play for money tier. the midweights that arent among top tier i feel is because of their reliance on certain unique aspects. zss pretty much relies on paralyzer for setups. ike relies on qd, sonic relies on spindash (although im ok with that one. it just makes sense). and while all work, you're basically relying on one move. but the top tier midweights are just consistent in that they have many different options for many different matchups and situations
In my opinion, that's not true. How hard a character gets punished/punishes isn't a huge factor in determining how good they are. For me, the largest aspect of what makes a character good is what tools they can use in the neutral game to get the first clean hit in. For example, Samus in melee can barely be combo'd unless samus royally screws up, but she's still not that high on the tier list because her neutral game is lacking.

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
Diddy is one of the easiest characters to combo in the game. He can't really get out of anything. He falls fast, without falling too fast to combo at low percents.

Edit: Despite this he's still a top tier character because of his domination in the neutral.

Last edited:

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
yeah thats a good point. but thats part of what i meant. the midweights generally dont get punished as hard as fast fallers. but they punish just as hard (for the most part anyway). this is of course a generalization and is not universally true.

and diddy can get out of combos easily if hes playing smart. any decent diddy should have a banana set up somewhere to help him out. his up-b also punishes over aggression. he has a lot of options as long as hes playing smart.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Hah, when I was 12 I was playing Brawl Item matches and spamming neutral B with Sonic. Good on you man. :sheep:
I suck at brawl I would always play CPU's in the past but I knew the advanced techniques like Side B and Down B Canceling with shield and a few months ago I got a Allisbrawl account and play Brawl Wifi and I kind of suck still which is why I quit Brawl 2 months ago

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'm confused what are we even talking about.

Hmm ... let's redirect here.

Who's (close to) perfectly balanced in this build and doesn't deserve to be changed?

Boiko

:drshrug:

Who's (close to) perfectly balanced in this build and doesn't deserve to be changed?
IMO unless a character has an absolutely broken mechanic or is handily winning tournaments by abusing one tech, they probably shouldn't be changed. The game is still developing.

But if you want an opinion of characters that the masses feel are already balanced: Wario, DK, Falcon, Wolf, Kirby, and Roy come to mind. That's just my opinion though.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
anyone in high-mid really

wario comes to mind
wario is comfortably mid. IF pmbr wanted to make wario mid/high all they would have to do would be to tweak the priority of some of his moves or make dair jump cancellable. I don't really know if making dair jump cancellable would actually make him better, but it would be more fun

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
wario is comfortably mid. IF pmbr wanted to make wario mid/high all they would have to do would be to tweak the priority of some of his moves or make dair jump cancellable. I don't really know if making dair jump cancellable would actually make him better, but it would be more fun
Give him back air side-b's and side-b slide/crouch that was like +15 on shield

Player -0

Smash Hero

Obviously :mewtwopm:.

:016:

Edit -
greatest accomplishment of my smash career

thank you
Hey, stop mooching off of coneyzzz's success. Just because copied his name doesn't mean you're as good as him. I bet coneyzzz is 1450983246098 times better than you.

Last edited:

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman

The best examples that really make a good case for Project M as a whole, IMO, are Roy, Luigi, Lucario, DK, Wolf, Wario, Toon Link, and Samus.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I had the same thoughts, usually it's the mid-tiers that everyone forgets about but are still hype as hell to watch. I wish we saw more of Wolf, Samus, Zamus and Roy instead of the *ahem* "I play to make money" tier (not coined by me lol ... i didn't even mean the "coined" pun either)

Paradoxium

Smash Master
"yeah ggs. i hate pikachu, all you have to do is upsmash at like 70% to get a free kill"

Someone said that to me this morning after I played him on wifi, the first time I've ever seen someone think Pikachu is broken haha

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
1FD makes the most genuinely confusing posts ever. It just blows my mind while I'm reading his posts.

Dedede is completely balanced. Why haven't people mentioned him? He's awesome! He's what every character should strive to be. A fat, rich, and egotistical eastern penguin lol. If you want to go more indepth:

Pros
- arguably best gimping game with bair, fair, inhale,etc.
- fat disjointed hitboxes
- very heavy and hard to kill
- best non tether grab range with amazing throws all
- good power
- groovy projectile that can be used for recovery, sometimes combos, appeoaches, and mixups
- amazing recovery
- great moveset overall with arguably one bad move at all
- lives FOREVER
- will be top tier in 3.5 without being broken
Cons
- big target that's combo food
- weak against characters with a better camping game
- short wavedash
- really slow
- not good with pressure
- has an easy recovery to edgeguard

I mean, my D3 is still in training and I'm trying really hard to be good with him. Maybe later, I'll get a grip on him.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DDD is extremely balanced with the cast except against Ivy and sonic and maybe diddy

Foo

Smash Lord
"yeah ggs. i hate pikachu, all you have to do is upsmash at like 70% to get a free kill"

Someone said that to me this morning after I played him on wifi, the first time I've ever seen someone think Pikachu is broken haha
Honestly, I wouldn't put pikachu in the "perfect" tier for that reason. Now, I'm not saying he's broken or OP, just that upsmash is too good, especially since it leads so well into downb to kill at very low %. For pikachu, I'd like to see a slight increase in startup or decrease in speed, and then increase priority and decrease lag on side b, and increase back air knockback up to a more viable kill move (or something like that). I do like characters having "core" moves that are better than most of his moves, but pikachu's upsmash is just a little too good, but he has a lot of weaker moves that are a little too niche.

I don't think I would put anyone in the "perfect" tier, tbh. The closest to me would probaly be Roy, he just needs increased side-b stall ability and he's perfect imo.

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
It seems like 3.5 will be coming out pretty soon, so this is almost certainly the last tier list I'll be posting for 3.02.
This list is heavily influenced by tournament results from the past few months, which have helped reveal which characters are most powerful. It's also based on my own theory-crafting and match-up knowledge, so some characters may be higher or slightly lower than you would expect.

S Tier

1. Mewtwo
2. Sonic
3. Lucas
4. Fox
5. Pit
6. Falco
7. Wolf
8. Link

A+ Tier

9. Meta Knight
10. Mario
11. Squirtle
12. Toon Link
13. Diddy Kong
14. Ivysaur
15. Olimar
16. Snake
17. Pikachu
18. Sheik

A Tier

19. Zero Suit Samus
20. Peach
21. Marth
22. Roy
23. Game and Watch
24. Kirby
25. ROB
26. Lucario
27. Yoshi
28. Samus
29. Ness

A- Tier

30. Captain Falcon
31. Ike
32. Wario
33. Bowser
34. Charizard
35. Donkey Kong
36. Zelda
37. Jigglypuff

B+ Tier

38. Luigi
39. Dedede
40. Ganondorf
41. Ice Climbers
Sonic is not THAT good, lol. His approach lacks prirority/range and the air speed could be better. Samus is much better, Diddy is better, DK is better than Charizard for sure, and Yoshi's options have made him pretty dang good (underrated if you ask me). It's definitely not a bad tier list though, and everything I said was just my opinion. Falco and Fox are not top tier; characters who were buffed from Brawl/Melee to PM do very well comboing them, more so than Melee top tiers. That's why Shiek is better than them in PM.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Not going to elaborate much if at all on this list because it'd be a waste of my time, but **** it I'll get a list out before the next patch.

S Tier
:mewtwopm:
:pit:
:metaknight:
:lucas:
:diddy:
:falco:
A Tier
:mario2:
:ivysaur:
:fox:
:sonic:
:pikachu2:
:marth:
:roypm:
B Tier
:wario:
:wolf:
:samus2:
:zerosuitsamus:
:snake:
:link2:
:charizard:
:falcon:
C Tier
:kirby2:
:ike:
:dk2:
:yoshi2:
:ness2:
:rob:
:toonlink:
:sheik:
:peach:
:squirtle:
:dedede:
:ganondorf:
:bowser2:
D Tier
:luigi2:
:popo:
:jigglypuff:
:olimar:

Some chars are probably interchangeable throughout the tiers, though I've taken the time to order them a little. I've always had a strong opinion that Zard should be more relevant. But eh whatever.
Charizard IMO is easy to deal with when you get to know him. The tech chase should be reverted to the op one because all his other comboes (in general) are reliant on the opponent's DI. That said, he still wins against characters, like Ivysaur.

D

Deleted member

well, if you changed marth at all then everyone would go ape**** (But yes, I do agree marth is fine)

I don't really agree with a few of ikes things, side b is questionable to me. The actual attack you can do out of side b is REALLY safe, it has little cool down and combos into a lot. Maybe I just don't know ike at all? But his side b is a bit... awkward.

Top Bottom