• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I was talking distance. And the fact that it can sweetspot the ledge.

Grabbing from backwards at the apex of the special jump applies to any character and doesn't necessarily make hers better in any way.
Her side B does give her better recovery because of how it slows her decent, if you would have brought that up I would have no response, and I did in fact forget to account for that aspect. Take away the glide from dins fire.
I would actually argue dins should not be used for recovering in the way you're describing it. As that would put you pretty open. Using it for keeping the ledge safe with a fireball though, yeah that can be pretty useful.

EDIT; whoops, misread your thing about dins a bit, I agree about what you say on that. :p

But on FW, yeah, I thought you probably meant just the simple things about it, but the buffs it has gotten still make it way better and different that melee.

Also, I forgot to add that there's no fire proof in melee at the end of FW, this makes P:M FW a lot easier to recover with too.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
S major threat in tournaments and place well nearly every time
Fox
Falco
Metaknight
Sheik

A+
Mario
Wolf
Marth

A commonly place well in tournaments
Wario
Diddy
Lucas
Capt. Falcon

A-
Pit
Snake
Link
Peach

B+
Ivysaur
Mewtwo
ZSS
DK
Ike
ROB

B commonly place in tournaments, capable in the right hands. Have potential probably still being developed
Roy
Yoshi
Kirby
Bowser

C placing is possible but not common, need some luck to place well
Lucario
Zelda
Charizard
DDD
Samus
Ice C.
Sonic
Toon Link
Jigglypuff

Sleeping/needimprovementsmaybe?
Pikachu
Luigi
Ganondorf
Ness
Squirtle
G+W
Olimar

About half tournament results and have community opinion

KingJacob

Smash Apprentice
Wait, Samus was in that list?

LOL no. SWD, insane tether reach and ice beam as additions and you say a character that was borderline tournament viable in Melee needs buffs?
Almost every tier list still considered her in the bottom 15, and no tier list I saw put her much higher than that. In addition, borderline viable is not nearly good enough for the long term.
I originally only had 8 characters (Olimar, Squirtle, G&W, Luigi, Pikachu, Ness, Ganondorf, and Toon Link) that I considered universally agreed upon, and I expanded it by 5 because I want to see a lot of the cast buffed eventually. May of the ones you complain about were added later because they are more borderline. I believe we should be attempting to create the most balanced game of all time, where any character is viable to win national tournaments with. I don't think we are their yet, and thus I may have been looking for too much too soon. It does seem like my opinion is actually a bit unpopular though.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
You misread a part of that post. I said Samus WAS borderling viable in Melee. In P:M she still has her Melee kit, wall-tethers notwithstanding due to coding limitations, in addition to some significant buffs. SWD is a great tool in her spacing and combo game, Ice Beam is a great new toolkit and the loss of her walltethers are fairly compensated by P:M's tether mechanics. This is ignoring her crawl, which shrinks her hurtbox down so much in addition to being a pretty fast mobility option + cross up option with Boost Ball, making her a vastly improved character. (Oh yeah, better roll, too. Seriously, what buffs does Samus need at this point? I keep forgetting the ones she's already been given.)

Once again, since the game has been a month in its most recent iteration and Samus has yet to be fully explored, which also explains the low tournament placings, because she has existed for a month. Pipe down, people. It's mostly untouched characters that have been found to be lacking throughout versions that merit a second look.

JOE!

Smash Hero
To me, Pikachu just doesn't have much to him that makes him stand out... Like sure dat Up smash, but that's about it in terms of flash + substance.

Also, why was his Nair changed to not have his tail stick out like in Brawl? Wasn't it more or less the same from melee but with a smidge more range?

Zoa

Smash Ace
Regarding the topic of Lucario buffs, has the PMBR tried reducing the end lag of AS to help his approach? The projectile is within the range to clank with many attacks, yet not fast enough to camp with. It would be a much better option than hoping not to whiff an aura charge at the beginning of a stock, and being stuck with a horrible approach until you can either lose a stock or hope to get in.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Regarding the topic of Lucario buffs, has the PMBR tried reducing the end lag of AS to help his approach? The projectile is within the range to clank with many attacks, yet not fast enough to camp with. It would be a much better option than hoping not to whiff an aura charge at the beginning of a stock, and being stuck with a horrible approach until you can either lose a stock or hope to get in.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
As I see it, P:M is fine for now. The only thing PMBR should be worried about is bugs. Characters don't need to be buffed or nerfed right now. The game needs TIME more than anything. Let the metagame develop, and when we have a hold on these new characters, THEN we can start talking about re-balancing the game. At the moment, we just need to work with characters to find out what they can and can't do, rather than ranting on about how X is too good and Y is too bad.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
As I see it, P:M is fine for now. The only thing PMBR should be worried about is bugs. Characters don't need to be buffed or nerfed right now. The game needs TIME more than anything. Let the metagame develop, and when we have a hold on these new characters, THEN we can start talking about re-balancing the game. At the moment, we just need to work with characters to find out what they can and can't do, rather than ranting on about how X is too good and Y is too bad.
Fox has needed nerfs like forever, and I know he received some, but they weren't enough imo. I also think ZSS is pretty ridiculous now that half her moves are unclankable. Other than that I pretty much agree with you.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
LOL Ness has HAD time. His metagame has been developing without buffs for A YEAR. The only substantive change to him as a character was his magnet nerf.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
I think the faster the game reaches its golden release, the better. A lot of potential top players don't take this game seriously just because they feel like their character can get nerfed/changed at any time. I think this is a huge detriment to the transition of this game from just a brawl mod to a more competitive game. It's alright if some characters are better than others...if we constantly try to patch this game it's only going to turn people off.

909_Venom_909

Smash Rookie
Im with Kaeldiar, Let the game stand for a few months and develop and see which characters start getting left behind. Could just be a top lvl player hasnt picked them up yet.

Feel like Diddy / TL are super underrated :) i think S tier is Fox / meta /diddy. not sure the order yet.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Im with Kaeldiar, Let the game stand for a few months and develop and see which characters start getting left behind. Could just be a top lvl player hasnt picked them up yet.

Feel like Diddy / TL are super underrated :) i think S tier is Fox / meta /diddy. not sure the order yet.
I feel that people are starting to catch on to Diddy's potential. Toon Link however, despite being one of the most fun characters, isn't very good imo.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Why would you want to encourage camping?
It's this kind of mentality I hate from the smash community, it's one of the reasons I didnt take the smash community seriously for awhile being apart of the fgc, using camping as terminology is IMO cancer. Use zoning, lame style or defensive play, I hate the idea that playing defensively is a bad thing...

909_Venom_909

Smash Rookie
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm a super in ur face aggro player but I respect defensive styles also. Only people that complain are ones who can't get around it. learn how to playyyyyyyyyyyyy.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Defensive styles are fine, but do realize that it can be very difficult to get a consistently balanced matchup spread on a character that can projectile camp. A lot of characters may deal with it just fine, but I know that Ganon, Bowser, Charizard, Roy (from my own bias and/or experience), and probably Ness, at the very least, will all cry a little bit on the inside if another projectile camper enters their list of matchups. At the same time, it does very little against characters that always get in anyways or have camping strategies of their own.

With Lucario? Not really sure if that would tip the scales in any matchups, so I'm not immediately opposed, but I don't see much reason for it, either. I think Lucario holds his own quite well already.

Cassio

Smash Master
But all of those players already do or did well in Project M's environment.
Keeping in mind the quality of the players, I wouldnt say hes done well. These are top of the line players when it comes to smash, and pika is a veteran character who wont see much more development then what he received in melee (still not sure why they nerfed his uthrow in PM which is an important reason). These other underdeveloped characters are new and dont have such top quality players using them. Comparatively Pika is near his peak, and even with outstanding players using him his performance at Apex was bad.

Oracle

Smash Master
It was more addressed towards things already mentioned. Pikas grab game is definitely underwhelming (justification given earlier). And yeah, if someone is in such a bad spot with no jump and pika needs to go deep to kill them he can, but pika was much more capable at tailspiking them or something else into those positions in the first place which he cant do reliably anymore unless the opponent falls for something gimmicky. The basic point is this, compared to melee pika's edge and grab game are worse. QAC while nice doesnt make up this, it just improves an area he didnt need improvement in (mobility). Theyre just notable deficiencies in areas pikas traditionally been strong in which make him feel underwhelming.
How exactly is his grab game worse? the throws are taken directly from melee >.> Fthrow is similar to marths fthrow, in that if you don't DI perfectly and buffer a roll when you land, pika can cg most characters. Uthrow still wrecks fastfallers and bthrow carries the opponent a good distance to set up for a n edgeguard. Also you have no justification for pika not being able to tailspike as well anymore, which is absolutely just not true. His edge game is incredible, but you actually have to read your opponent to edgeguard them (news flash: this is how it has always worked). You can't always rely on reacting to what they do and executing something, the recoveries are too good. My point is that pika has the ability to go far offstage without much risk, which means that there are more opportunities for you to predict your opponent and land a hit. Add in stuff like fsmash being safer and having more range for onstage, qac to get back on stage quicker, and b reverse thunder, and pika has an incredibly reliable set of tools to edgeguard about every character. If you miss an edgeguard with pika, its because you messed up, not because of pika being bad. End of story

And not that I dont think youre clearly skilled, but extremely talented smashers such as axe, esam, anther, chu, and others already tried/been trying. If you can do better than them power to you.
none of those players have seriously played PM besides anther, and even he lives in a region without a ton of activity. axe and chu did fairly well at apex without playing the game much, which goes to show that at the very least, pm pikachu is better than his melee counterpart.

I'm done arguing about this. I know i'm right and if I can't convince you, then you're just gonna have to stay salty.

tl:dr: its not the characters fault you can't win, its your own

Ace55

Smash Lord
Keeping in mind the quality of the players, I wouldnt say hes done well. These are top of the line players when it comes to smash, and pika is a veteran character who wont see much more development then what he received in melee (still not sure why they nerfed his uthrow in PM which is an important reason). These other underdeveloped characters are new and dont have such top quality players using them. Comparatively Pika is near his peak, and even with outstanding players using him his performance at Apex was bad.
For the hell of it, could you please list a few combos that worked in melee yet don't work on the same chars in PM. Because I've never heard anyone complain about that yet before you. And what is it about upair? Are the hitboxes different? Does it send at a different angle/less knockback? All I'm hearing now is 'you people just don't understand Pika like I do', which is probably true but your doing a lousy job explaining what it is that's different.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
SSB PM (3.0) Tiers

S:
1 - Fox
2 - Pit
3 - Falco

A:
4 - Marth
5 - Snake
6 - Jigglypuff
7 - Sheik
8 - Ike

A-:
9 - R.O.B.
10 - Roy
11 - Zero Suit Samus
12 - Mewtwo

B:
13 - Mario
14 - Dedede
15 - Metaknight
16 - Ivysaur

C+:
17 - Link
18 - Luigi
19 - Wario
20 - Yoshi

C:
21 - Zelda
22 - Pikachu
23 - Squirtle
24 - Lucario
25 - Lucas
26 - Peach

C-:
27 - Toon Link
28 - Samus
29 - Kirby
30 - Ganondorf
31 - Donkey Kong

D:
32 - Wolf
33 - Sonic
34 - Mr. Game and Watch
35 - Diddy Kong
36 - Captain Falcon
37 - Olimar

F:
38 - Bowser
39 - Ness
40 - Ice Climbers
41 - Charizard

This is a tier list based mostly on the results at APEX 2014, what are you thoughts on what needs to be changed and why!
I get that this is based off of Apex, but Wolf should not be that low. At all.

Cassio

Smash Master
I agree, sadly that isnt true for pika he has some very good rep. Ace, id said uthrow there.
How exactly is his grab game worse? the throws are taken directly from melee >.> Fthrow is similar to marths fthrow, in that if you don't DI perfectly and buffer a roll when you land, pika can cg most characters. Uthrow still wrecks fastfallers and bthrow carries the opponent a good distance to set up for a n edgeguard. Also you have no justification for pika not being able to tailspike as well anymore, which is absolutely just not true. His edge game is incredible, but you actually have to read your opponent to edgeguard them (news flash: this is how it has always worked). You can't always rely on reacting to what they do and executing something, the recoveries are too good. My point is that pika has the ability to go far offstage without much risk, which means that there are more opportunities for you to predict your opponent and land a hit. Add in stuff like fsmash being safer and having more range for onstage, qac to get back on stage quicker, and b reverse thunder, and pika has an incredibly reliable set of tools to edgeguard about every character. If you miss an edgeguard with pika, its because you messed up, not because of pika being bad. End of story

none of those players have seriously played PM besides anther, and even he lives in a region without a ton of activity. axe and chu did fairly well at apex without playing the game much, which goes to show that at the very least, pm pikachu is better than his melee counterpart.

I'm done arguing about this. I know i'm right and if I can't convince you, then you're just gonna have to stay salty.

tl:dr: its not the characters fault you can't win, its your own
No need to be like that, I'm just explaining why hes bad. And saying you are right doesnt make you right. Im very open to being convinced, but you dont even seem to be aware that uthrow wasnt taken directly from melee, which is 90% of what I mean when I say his grab game sucks compared to melee. The reason I dont say uthrow directly is because if there were improvements elsewhere it might not have made a difference (for instance, in brawl his dthrow does sort of the same thing), but that isnt the case. I wouldnt have anything to complain about if his uthrow was the same.

Also having a good edge game does not mean his edge game was as good as melees. Even granting what you said is true, if I go from being able to mostly react (guaranteed) to their recovery to mostly having to read (chance based), the charater's been nerfed in that area. I already have to make a ton of reads to get them in that position in the first place. You can say I shouldnt complain about that transition but its still a nerf to a character that was already bad, and its not like other characters dont have free kills once they have their opponent in a certain position (Im actually pretty good at those sorta reads anyways, no need to attack my skill).

Lastly, Axe seems to play as much as any of the other melee vets who placed well at apex (a.k.a. most of the top level play for PM), and AZ has a very lively PM scene. Barely playing didnt stop Amada from taking first. Couple this with the fact that pika is barely different from melee aside from the issues I mentioned and a few additions to things he was already good at; and youre really not going to see a lot of improvement from the character, this isnt an undeveloped character like ivy or olimar. Axe placed 9th in melee, 17th in PM so Im not sure how you gather PM pika is better from that. Chu I think used Kirby, lol.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
his upthrow was ported directly from melee lol the kbg/bkb/dmg/trajectory was literally ported. :/

saying that pika's edgeguarding being weaker as a result of recoveries being generally better is a nerf is like almost useless because any character that excelled at edgeguarding is worse in the same way. your view of pika's balance in a vacuum doesn't hold up when you think of the cast as a whole because the "nerfs" he received don't make him any more relatively worse than those characters around him.
to put it simply, "pikachu - 5" may be less than "pikachu," but pikachu - 5 doesn't go down at all in a set of characters who all receive - 5.

pika got a lot of solid tools (QAC, b-reverse Thunder, Bair, a more damaging U-Air, a more disjointed Fair with less landlag, etc.) on top of his already relatively robust melee game. of the major weaknesses a character can have, pikachu does not lack mobility, which helps him immensely in the transition to PM since mobility is on average higher than in melee.

a lot of the complaints you bring up are just outright false and many people including axe have stated that they match melee exactly so this seems silly to me. :/

Cassio

Smash Master
No offense the game is cool. And not that it isnt true, but Axe would tell me my hair looked good if my head caught on fire, lol. Also I only brought up two things, you seem to acknowledge the most important one.

to put it simply, "pikachu - 5" may be less than "pikachu," but pikachu - 5 doesn't go down at all in a set of characters who all receive - 5.
This is only if you disregard a character's weaknesses and strengths. -5 a character who doesnt rely on edgeguarding as much as pikachu does make pikachu relatively worse. Its like taking a wheelchair away from someone who can walk vs someone crippled to be fair but someone clearly suffers more. It mattered because pikachu had few things he was good at in the first place, and the buffs dont replace what was significant and taken away. Anyways, theres really not much left to say about it if its agreed pikas edgegame is weaker. Its like taking away a painter's brush.

I swear his uthrow doesnt chain or combo the way it used to and others have said the same, I'll see if theres something else to it or let go the point.

Last edited:

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I want to see a lot of the cast buffed eventually. May of the ones you complain about were added later because they are more borderline. I believe we should be attempting to create the most balanced game of all time, where any character is viable to win national tournaments with. I don't think we are their yet
Irrationally buffing characters we don't know much about is probably the worst way to achieve "the most balanced game of all time". Like I said before, it will encourage people to hold back strategies so they don't get nerfed, and it will encourage people to simply NOT develop strategies for so-called weaker characters because they figure why bother, they'll just get buffed later anyway.

The best way to create a balanced game is releasing a final version of the game that cannot and will not change (save for bug fixes) for about a year. You want to win with this character? You'd better put the work in now. Then (and only then) will we *actually* know what needs fixing and what doesn't. Small incremental changes reasonably often, despite your good intentions, is just factually the worst way to go about balance.

Oracle

Smash Master
Again, i'm not gonna argue further. Thank you strong bad for saying what i was gonna say but smarter

Cassio

Smash Master
Uhh, he completely acknowledged pikas edgeguard game was nerfed. But if thats what you meant to say then sure, guess we didnt really disagree after all. I admit I could be wrong about uthrow but I need to play with it more.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Great T-Shirt! Does it come with a free copy of Brawl?!

Boy, I sure do love how accurate context-insensitive sweeping generalizations are!
I hope you're not suggesting that the balance in PM is anything like Brawl.
The context is PM. It was a joke anyway, sorry if I offended you.

It's this kind of mentality I hate from the smash community, it's one of the reasons I didnt take the smash community seriously for awhile being apart of the fgc, using camping as terminology is IMO cancer. Use zoning, lame style or defensive play, I hate the idea that playing defensively is a bad thing...
I mean, I agree with you. I don't mind playing against defensive styles of play (actually I find it refreshing to be able to think instead of getting run over, haha). I've never complained about a character being "too campy." However, I don't consider zoning and camping (sorry for using this word) to be the same thing, and I think one is definitely considered bad by most players.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the focus on defensive play one of the reasons Brawl is being modded in the first place?

When I said not to encourage camping, I'm responding to the suggestion that Lucario's Aura Sphere should be given less end lag, because, and I quote, it's "not fast enough to camp with." I don't know about you, but giving Lucario the option of spamming his projectile until his Super is charged doesn't sound like the intended design for Lucario.

Believe me, I don't like it when people say defensive play is bad. But I don't think all defensive play is camping, and (as much as I really don't care whether people camp or not), I think most people dislike defensive play, and I don't think encouraging it is taking the game in the right direction. I don't expect you to agree with me, and I'll gladly hear your side of things, but I do feel like the majority of players dislike excessive defensive play (again, I don't!), and that's really all I meant. Sorry for being unclear, and sorry if I offended you.

/apologies

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Uhh, he completely acknowledged pikas edgeguard game was nerfed. But if thats what you meant to say then sure, guess we didnt really disagree after all. I admit I could be wrong about uthrow but I need to play with it more.
"saying that pika's edgeguarding being weaker as a result of recoveries being generally better is a nerf is like almost useless"

Eh? He also said UThrow was exactly the same, but uh, cool cherrypicking I guess?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Ermagerd Pikachu is not bad, he's better than Melee by far, he may not be one of the best characters in the game, but at least he's viable which is more than can be said of his Melee iteration.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I don't think people mind defensive play so much as long as it's FAST defensive play. Stuff needs to be happening, and the offensive player should be able to force the defensive player to make meaningful decisions very often (and, likewise, the defensive player should be rewarded accordingly if he makes the correct one).

People by and large don't hate campy or defensive games as much as they hate *slow* games, which was Brawl's biggest downfall IMO. It's no surprise that, considering the entire fighting game spectrum, games with bad balance but are lightning fast (eg: MvC2) got played a lot more than games with bad balance but are slow. Also worth noting that there are some serious defensive, runaway, campy powerhouses in MvC2's top tier.

Cassio

Smash Master
"saying that pika's edgeguarding being weaker as a result of recoveries being generally better is a nerf is like almost useless"

Eh? He also said UThrow was exactly the same, but uh, cool cherrypicking I guess?
I said he acknowledged his edge guard game was worse, that we cant disagree with anymore.

I didnt say I agreed with his conclusions of what it does to pika. Justifying his nerfed edgeguard game by saying "well everyone's edgeguard game is worse" doesnt take into account how significant it was for pika compared to the rest of the cast. I dont agree he is viable, his edgegame was a significant part of what made him a complete character. Look at how much pikas use it in melee.

Also Im not saying uthrow isnt the same, but there could be some other mechanic affecting its follow ups or I could just be completely wrong.

Top Bottom