• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Who needs fun when you're makin da bills right?
That should be your signature... it might get taken out of context, but who needs context when you're makin da bills right? ;)

EDIT: I guess they could say you're the leader of the bunch then as well, huh?

Last edited:

GrandpaDukes

Smash Rookie
Gonna start telling the Smashing Grounds commentators to say that every time i land an up throw donkey punch, thanks

nimigoha

Smash Ace
He CPd DK for a bunch of DK dittos vs Strong Bad once.

The DK ditto is hilarious. DK edgeguards DK so well, and combos into death so easily. It's just who can expand 4 times before their opponent.

GrandpaDukes GrandpaDukes thanks for laying it down. Is one of the reasons you got bored just playing him for so long? I saw like a 2 year old combo video of yours. Must be tiring to play a character who over the course of the game has pretty much only been nerfed. For years.

People talk about the most underrated character and I don't see how it isn't DK when 9/10 lists have him in the bottom 3 in his own tier.

didds

Smash Lord
As far as bad defensive options, the biggest thing that comes to mind are simply dks rolls. Aside from that, he's not particularly worse off than anyone else (discounting characters with amazing oos options like shine or bowsers upb).

Not to mention he has one of the best cc's in the game and moves like dsmash which is like never mentioned but a great gtfo move. The character in general can handle his less good mus better than others.

The crazy thing is though, I still think he may be lower half of the cast, maybe even bottom 10 still. this game is crazy. Crazy.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I think people are getting stuck on the specifics of things rather than thinking broadly then using specifics to follow up.

Going to be gone for a few days so you guys are going to have to do the things though.

I'm actually an alt. account of Nausicaa confirmed Kappa

Spluvin

Smash Cadet
I haven't played pm much and is trying to find a main. Link and lucas seem interesting. It is important to me that my main does not have any truly bad match ups. What characters should I consider?

Life

Smash Hero
I haven't played pm much and is trying to find a main. Link and lucas seem interesting. It is important to me that my main does not have any truly bad match ups. What characters should I consider?
Fox is Lucas-like, being a fast-falling glass cannon combo fiend, and is notorious for not really getting hard countered by anyone. Don't let the rep fool you, though--being a new Fox is not easy because everyone with Melee experience knows that matchup already.

As for characters similar to Link, that depends. Do you like Link for his swordplay (in which case look to the FE characters or MK or Pit) or for his projectile game (in which case try Samus)? (Or Toon Link for obvious reasons.)

Don't worry about bad matchups at this stage of your development as a player. There are going to be players sufficiently better than you to beat you in any matchup. Just play who you're drawn to.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
As far as bad defensive options, the biggest thing that comes to mind are simply dks rolls. Aside from that, he's not particularly worse off than anyone else (discounting characters with amazing oos options like shine or bowsers upb).

Not to mention he has one of the best cc's in the game and moves like dsmash which is like never mentioned but a great gtfo move. The character in general can handle his less good mus better than others.

The crazy thing is though, I still think he may be lower half of the cast, maybe even bottom 10 still. this game is crazy. Crazy.
His tech rolls are very good and his normal rolls are standardized. They stayed exactly the same through 3.6; other characters had their rolls changed to be more similar to his.

And are you forgetting that his has a frame 3 OOS option because you didn't write that down.

Like, his OOS option is faster than any Shine.

I think he's lower half.

But I also think that "lower half" means less and less every patch and that characters are getting very close together in terms of viability.

There are very few characters who I think couldn't win a major. DK isn't one of them.

didds

Smash Lord
His tech rolls are very good and his normal rolls are standardized. They stayed exactly the same through 3.6; other characters had their rolls changed to be more similar to his.

And are you forgetting that his has a frame 3 OOS option because you didn't write that down.

Like, his OOS option is faster than any Shine.

I think he's lower half.

But I also think that "lower half" means less and less every patch and that characters are getting very close together in terms of viability.

There are very few characters who I think couldn't win a major. DK isn't one of them.
I think we're on the same page, that's why I think the game is crazy since I think he could be bottom ten and still basically be just as good as the rest of his cast.

And upb oos is amazing, but you have to admit that the hitboxes make it more niche and situational than shine or bowser upb. Fortunately it doesn't matter since he has plenty of options between that, shffl oos, and shield grabs. Rolls were normalized but his are still weaker the way bowsers are, he's just fat.

It was less of his defense is bad and more of "if I percieved it as bad then this is the reason I can think of"

My main play partner is pretty much a solo dk so I have no opinions that dk is bad. He can convert in more ways then people realize or are willing to admit. He has arguably some of the best normals in the game and half of them either lead into follow ups or give him positional advantage, which dk exploits incredibly well. Dk becomes terrifying when you have no room to work with. His hands just sort of grab your space.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
The front hitbox is small but the back is so crazy. Crossing up DK's shield is like your worst option lol.

DK has a lot of even matchups I feel. I think he struggles with Sheik, Link, and Ness a lot though.

redbeanjelly

Smash Cadet
The front hitbox is small but the back is so crazy. Crossing up DK's shield is like your worst option lol.

DK has a lot of even matchups I feel. I think he struggles with Sheik, Link, and Ness a lot though.
Ness vs DK is not as bad for DK as you would think.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
He CPd DK for a bunch of DK dittos vs Strong Bad once.
It was more for fun. Note that he had access to 3.0 Mewtwo; choosing just about any other character, DK included, was a strict tactical disadvantage for M2K.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
It was more for fun. Note that he had access to 3.0 Mewtwo; choosing just about any other character, DK included, was a strict tactical disadvantage for M2K.
May have just been when he was playing against esam, but didn't dk do surprisingly well vs 3.0 mewtwo. (Not supporting 3.0 mewtwo in any way and had a 3 page summary of how he was the embodiment of everything I despise.) just remember dk having good results on pikachu and mewtwo for some reason, though the southeast meta is so ... eccentric compared to other areas.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He had decent success with DK vs Sethlon, although he probably would have been fine if he practiced it as M2 exclusive

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Oh absolutely for fun. Sorry if I implied it was a tactical decision haha.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

Up oos hits frame 4. It's not that great of an OoS because no one should be hitting that deep on his shield anyway, because of it. It's also committing to like 80 frames of spinning so if they shield it good luck.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Soft Serve Soft Serve True, it's laggy, but Samus' up boos puts you in a lot of lag after too, as does Marth's, and they're good options oos too. Sure, they can cancel most of the lag by landing on a platform, but they're still viable if you can catch your opponent off guard. Just gotta keep mixing it up.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Shine doesn't have a huge hitbox either, people still get hit by it OOS. No one can space every single hit on shield safely. It's like saying 'oh that combo doesn't work all you have to do is SDI it away'. Theoretically okay but we're human beings. We're going to miss SDI, we're going to occasionally land unsafe moves on shield.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
No biggie. I just didn't want to come across as a **** :p

Yea same way I went about mine :p

In a game like PM, if balance is to be achieved, EVERY CHARACTER should have a good number of both positive and negative matchups. This means that when PM goes Gold, every player needs to either learn to work around their character's poor matchups, or main a second character to cover them.

S tier characters have almost no poor matchups and circumvent the challenges every other character faces.
THIS

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Also worth noting that M2K's Mewtwo was terrible for a player of his caliber. No use of hover whatsoever, poor neutral, punish game was pretty average for a high level Mewtwo of that time, etc. I don't think the difference between his Mewtwo and any other character was all that significant, certainly less than tier lists of the time would imply.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
everyone in 3.02 had recovery to the point where the very word "recovery" became a misnomer. Even now look at the list and look at the percentage of characters that can get back from ridiculously far away, and often pretty safely.
I'm not too sure anyone has a generally safe distant recovery besides maybe the Mario bros.
I know Snake has to take a lot of punishment in order to get back from the depths with exploding C4 and tanking opponents edgeguards.

Last edited:

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too sure anyone has a generally safe distant recovery besides maybe the Mario bros.
I know Snake has to take a lot of punishment in order to get back from the depths with exploding C4 and tanking opponents edgeguards.
but he gets onto stage doesn't he? Whether or not some characters get beat around here or there in the end almost every character CAN recover from most positions. I mean lets go down the list: mario bros get back on stage in most situations, wario sometimes has to sacrifice waft, peach is peach, bowser's is prob balanced, yoshi just has to not lose his armor and he's fine, donkey kong has a good recovery but its balanced, diddy's is still really really strong, falcons is now super good albeit linear, spacies have spacie tier recovery, ice climbers are weird but they can get on stage from most situations sometimes sacrificing nana, zelda's is crazy good, shieks i like because it has strengths and weaknesses, link's is pretty hard to edgeguard and agt is pretty useful to get back from most situations, tlinks is ridiculous, ganons is really cool with float i dont wanna change dat, mewtwos is great, lucarios great, pikas great, jiggs great, squirtles is good, ivy's is a tether therefore safe for 3/4 of the cast, zard is getting back on the stage prob, samus' is good, zss is tether, mother bros are balanced, pit's getting back, jigglypuff's can have a picnic off stage and still get back on, kirby meta ddd all great recoveries, ike's is impossible to punish for 3/4 of the cast, marth's is fine, roys is fine, i know nothing of olis but it has mixups definitely i kinda like it i guess (just not against the rest of the casts), rob's is lol, gaymans is great, snakes taking percent but hes getting back, and finally sonics is goddamn BONKERS,

so yeah, I think recovery, how far everyone can use it, and the probability that most characters when off stage are getting back on (maybe with some bruises) is stupidly high.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
but he gets onto stage doesn't he? Whether or not some characters get beat around here or there in the end almost every character CAN recover from most positions. I mean lets go down the list: mario bros get back on stage in most situations, wario sometimes has to sacrifice waft, peach is peach, bowser's is prob balanced, yoshi just has to not lose his armor and he's fine, donkey kong has a good recovery but its balanced, diddy's is still really really strong, falcons is now super good albeit linear, spacies have spacie tier recovery, ice climbers are weird but they can get on stage from most situations sometimes sacrificing nana, zelda's is crazy good, shieks i like because it has strengths and weaknesses, link's is pretty hard to edgeguard and agt is pretty useful to get back from most situations, tlinks is ridiculous, ganons is really cool with float i dont wanna change dat, mewtwos is great, lucarios great, pikas great, jiggs great, squirtles is good, ivy's is a tether therefore safe for 3/4 of the cast, zard is getting back on the stage prob, samus' is good, zss is tether, mother bros are balanced, pit's getting back, jigglypuff's can have a picnic off stage and still get back on, kirby meta ddd all great recoveries, ike's is impossible to punish for 3/4 of the cast, marth's is fine, roys is fine, i know nothing of olis but it has mixups definitely i kinda like it i guess (just not against the rest of the casts), rob's is lol, gaymans is great, snakes taking percent but hes getting back, and finally sonics is goddamn BONKERS,

so yeah, I think recovery, how far everyone can use it, and the probability that most characters when off stage are getting back on (maybe with some bruises) is stupidly high.
Or people are still bad at punishing recovery, which is also a distinct possibility.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
I agree with your point, but man the misinformation.

I guess that's to be expected when you go through the cast with a few words for each, but still.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman

Kirby's ain't that great. Sure it's long, but it's still predictable. And tethers suck. Zard's recovery ain't that great either.

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
Or people are still bad at punishing recovery, which is also a distinct possibility.
since the characters with the longest furthest recoveries have a habit of having the most mixups, recovery is still far far easier for most the cast than Melee. And maybe comparing to melee is a bit of a Faux pas, but the recovery meta in melee is imperfect but pretty darn cool. In Project M, with how much everyone can recover and mixup that recovery, the advantage will always be towards the one recovering to get back onstage one way or another. the meta will be bloated. Though you could argue that's just due to the nature of Project M, where the debate between homogenized balance or uniqueness with more matchup extremes is still under way, the recovery is an excellent reflection of Project M's state as a whole: Almost everyone is still way too strong because we want everyone to be a special snowflake.

Nerf them. Nerf them all. Except my main of course <3

Last edited:

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
since the characters with the longest furthest recoveries have a habit of having the most mixups, recovery is still far far easier for most the cast than Melee. And maybe comparing to melee is a bit of a Faux pas, but the recovery meta in melee is imperfect but pretty darn cool. In Project M, with how much everyone can recover and mixup that recovery, the advantage will always be towards the one recovering to get back onstage one way or another. the meta will be bloated. Though you could argue that's just due to the nature of Project M, where the debate between homogenized balance or uniqueness with more matchup extremes is still under way, the recovery is an excellent reflection of Project M's state as a whole: Almost everyone is still way too strong because we want everyone to be a special snowflake.

Nerf them. Nerf them all. Except my main of course <3
I agree with your first sentence because that was part of the point of adjusting characters from Melee in the first place. When other characters can't contend to the same recovery dynamics as the Melee top tiers, something has to give, especially if they're already losing in neutral.

But most recoveries in this game maintain the opposite dynamic to what you're so sure of. It is not a good idea to be off-stage because of the fact that you can be punished for doing so without a doubt. I'm highly critical of people complaining about recovery when a lot of the problems we've had with certain characters in the first place boil down to "wait, we actually played the matchup wrong in the first place and it had nothing to do with the character itself."

There's definitely some balance things still wrong with certain recoveries. Still can't punish Waddledashing for the life of me, and I still need to perfect my vs tether game. But these are things that can be done and should be done that, as a player, I'm not actively doing. And numerous others give up ledge when they shouldn't because they could go out their and stick out their foot with an aerial and force their offstage opponent into a position for a kill.

The duty lies with the player to be aware and punish recovery for not being perfect. Most recoveries are far from perfect.

_Chrome

Smash Ace

Roy's recovery sucks, Meta Knight's nor DDD's aren't "great" because they are easy to edge guard. Zard's is easy AF to edge guard, but the rest is alright I guess. Wolf and Falco don't have "spacie tier" recovery, only Fox has a good recovery out of them. The rest is kinda obvious I suppose, and you're right about the fact that perhaps recoveries are still too good.

However, Melee's meta game was (and still is) different from Project M. PM is a lot more balanced, and part of that balance comes from giving characters with either worse kits or movement a good recovery to help ameliorate the fact that characters such as Fox outclass them on stage. (Yet humourously, many characters ex. Ivysaur have worse movement, kits, and recoveries than Fox. It's no wonder he's top tier.) Nerfing recoveries in a huge way would change those characters quite a bit, and make the game very difficult to balance. I can understand trying to give gradual nerfs to each character, but then the issue is that testing the water takes a long time... and by that time we might not figure out if the recovery is central to the character or perhaps the meta game has moved past that point and there are more pressing issues.

I get where you're coming from though. A lot of the characters have nuts recoveries. I would list a bunch of the characters I feel should definitely have their recoveries nerfed, but it would be bigoted because I don't have enough experience to do that and therefore it would probably be fueled by salt and personal beliefs.

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64

Mario bros only get back on the stage if they have frame perfect Down B mashing skills... speaking of which, when's the mashing mechanic going to be removed and instead you just hold down B button and get roughly 75% of the max height we get by mashing

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
ivy's is a tether therefore safe for 3/4 of the cast,
ike's is impossible to punish for 3/4 of the cast,
i know nothing of olis but it has mixups definitely
I'm pretty sure we're not playing the same game, or your playgroup/videos you watch are awful at edgeguarding. Ike's recovery is punishable by everyone in the cast, you just have to actually work for it. Ivy and Olimar probably have the worst recoveries, only tried with shiek, roy or bowser. Tethers aren't safe. Olimar doesn't have different angles on up-b so his mixup game is very limited.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Overall I like PM's recoveries. Good distance on most recoveries means more offstage play, more time spent interacting on each stock. At the same time the PMDT has slowly tweaked different aspects of recovering such that nobody gets back for free - if you know the matchup. It's a healthy mix. I still think 3.5 tether mechanics are poorly designed and there are a few other recoveries I'd want to tweak for better and for worse, but on the whole it's in a good place.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure we're not playing the same game, or your playgroup/videos you watch are awful at edgeguarding. Ike's recovery is punishable by everyone in the cast, you just have to actually work for it. Ivy and Olimar probably have the worst recoveries, only tried with shiek, roy or bowser. Tethers aren't safe. Olimar doesn't have different angles on up-b so his mixup game is very limited.
Olimar does have angles.

It's just that it's either go in a vertical-ish arc or an arc more horizontal.

And he falls so slowly that once you've chosen the high angle and are clearly going for the stage, it's an easy punish.

Top Bottom