• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
I thought Samus was in the Heavy-floaty category with Peach and Rob.
According to this thread (which I hear isn't 100% accurate but whatever):

Samus has a weight of 110, fall speed of 1.4, fast fall speed of 2.3.
ROB has a weight of 104, fall speed of 2.0, fast fall speed of 2.55
Peach has a weight of 90, fall speed of 1.5, fast fall speed of 2.0.

Zelda would be in the same category having almost the same values as the last in that list. They are both in the 'welterweight' category, while Samus and ROB are in the 'heavyweight' category.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Why is Lucario ranked so high? Is it because IPK reks face or is there a group of Lucario players sweeping tournaments that I don't know about?..

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
None of those characters are broken. Ganon is fine. G&W and Luigi are just terribly designed.

http://smashboards.com/threads/i-see-every-pixel-the-hitbox-frame-data-thread.387100/
G&W should put away all items when their hitboxes end, so punishes can be more intuitive. Without G&W matchup and frame data knowledge, how would a player know how to counter D-tilt, F-air, B-air, D-air, and his smash attacks with the misleading animations? Also, why is he allowed to escape from false combos frame 3 then counterattack with an aerial before landing? He's a semi-floaty, so does he really need such an absurd escape option? Why is the IASA frame for F-tilt one frame after the late hitbox ends? Why is the IASA for U-tilt 3 frames after the hitboxes end? According to the frame data thread, he has IASA of (10, 10, 10, 6) on F-throw, B-throw, U-throw, and D-throw, which seems moderately fast. However, don't all of his throws have the same animation up until the throw? Good players can react within 10 frames of being thrown, but it seems a little silly. Also U-throw and D-throw have invincibility on frames 1-8, yet none is listed for F-throw and B-throw? Why that inconsistency? G&W has to be one of if not the most nonnintuitive characters to play against with lingering hitboxes, quick and difficult to punish escape, misleading animations, questionable IASA frames, a guessing game on throws, and more. How has this been allowed to go on so long? He epitomizes jankiness. I wouldn't advocate for drastic nerfs or a playstyle change, but he needs to be cleaned up big time.

http://smashboards.com/threads/luigi-frame-data-thread-3-6β.402482/
Luigi has low startup on most of his attacks (aside from his throws), high damage output, multiple kill options, great recovery, and multiple escape options on top of being floaty. Check out the frame data if you haven't seen the character in action, but the previous sentence captures much of his silliness.

GnW has probably the worst combo weight in the game. Why are you up in arms about his escape option again? He doesn't even move until frame 8 or so. Combo better and kill harder.

GnW, Luigi, and Ganondorf are far from broken. @TheOtherGuy Broken is not qualified by whether or not you like playing against them. Get over it.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
luigi is alright, he's not broken or really poorly designed

misfire jank is overblown, it's not even bad
learn to di uair
learn to crouch cancel jab at lower percents and smash di jab at higher percents and jab suddenly turns from the most godlike move in his kit to just being another hitbox

luigi's recovery is hella linear and p easy to react to

luigi's approach options all involve wavedashing towards you so just like don't let him do that

luigi cannot be a good character in a game where marth is still marth

I'd put luigi at top 15, strong 7, probably B+ or A- tier

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Luigi's worst enemy is his player. So be a good boy or something

Edit: Everytime you want to jump with Luigi in neutral, or use the same WD angle repeatedly, slap urself in the dong with a 5 pound sac of rocks. Your character will magically git gud

Last edited:

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
GnW has probably the worst combo weight in the game. Why are you up in arms about his escape option again? He doesn't even move until frame 8 or so. Combo better and kill harder.
By combo weight, do you mean a combination of his weight and fall speed or purely his weight? If it's the first, then yes, he's very light. But he's also a floaty and not every character can combo those.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Why is Lucario ranked so high? Is it because IPK reks face or is there a group of Lucario players sweeping tournaments that I don't know about?..

are there groups of fox players beating everyone everywhere? or falco's? do lucas players even exist anymore?

do you understand what I'm getting at?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Statistical worst combo weight is something along the lines of where Roy is I think: his combination of fall speed and weight (and body size/limbs) is one of the absolute worst ones I've seen for escaping Smash combos against anyone

Ripple Edit: "Hey Dad, what's a Dedede?"

"Son, back when Men were Men, we used to beat each other up with Chinese Cartoon Characters. One of them was King Dedede. He was a glorious figure... but those are days long begone. All I have left is you son..."

*Turns to baseball trophy Son received from Little League*

*Congratulations Jordan Dedede*

This is what happens in a post Dedede nerf world

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I feel like at the moment Lucario is mainly a matter of how many buttons his pilot can press. Nah that's an oversimplification.

I'm having trouble justifying putting him on a level with Fox in my head, but he's still pretty good overall.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
All the Zelda players say they lose to Samus. All the Samus players say Zelda destroys us.
I'm always baffled when Zeldas say Samus is hard. I think both characters have to react to the other and can't use their normal options. Zelda can't combo Samus into kill moves and Samus can't wall Zelda out with projectiles willy-nilly.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
are there groups of fox players beating everyone everywhere? or falco's? do lucas players even exist anymore?

do you understand what I'm getting at?
Yea.. maybe I'm having a hard time fathoming Lucario being on Fox's level. It's not like your average player is going to pull out a pocket Lucario and expect to do well like some people do with Fox.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Didn't anyone suggest a "Fun to play against"-Tier List or sth? Here's my shot with obvious personal bias.

No order within tiers, there's no A-Tier because "A" sounds way too good and there isn't really a character that could be considered that much fun to play against.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I'm always baffled when Zeldas say Samus is hard. I think both characters have to react to the other and can't use their normal options. Zelda can't combo Samus into kill moves and Samus can't wall Zelda out with projectiles willy-nilly.
Pretty much, except d-tilt->up-tilt is a true combo on Samus, and kills at like 90% lol.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Pretty much, except d-tilt->up-tilt is a true combo on Samus, and kills at like 90% lol.
I always mean to get used to doing that but I still dtilt->dsmash by instinct because so many opponents have frame 3 nairs or something lol (or are fastfallers and its easier to gimp than uptilt kill)

I'm not sure how you're getting hit by a dtilt in this MU though. I would assume its far enough away from her that uptilt might not actually reach.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Didn't anyone suggest a "Fun to play against"-Tier List or sth? Here's my shot with obvious personal bias.

No order within tiers, there's no A-Tier because "A" sounds way too good and there isn't really a character that could be considered that much fun to play against.
Damn any particular reason why Mario is at the bottom of F-tier?

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
First of all there's no order within the tiers so don't worry: Mario isn't really at the bottom.

And now for a thorough analysis on why I do not enjoy quarreling with red moustacheman deluxe:
I hate his recovery, I hate his cape, I hate his fireballs / pills, I hate his CC Dsmash, I hate his Fsmash and I hate his stupid moustache.

Last edited:

Steak1ey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-3765-3357
Damn any particular reason why Mario is at the bottom of F-tier?
someone's gotta be at the bottom lol.
don't take a tier list too seriously, the patch just came out and there's a lot to be explored. I believe a well developed meta takes a considerable amount of years, especially PM which strings the characters pretty close to each other.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
someone's gotta be at the bottom lol.
don't take a tier list too seriously, the patch just came out and there's a lot to be explored. I believe a well developed meta takes a considerable amount of years, especially PM which strings the characters pretty close to each other.
I'm not taking it seriously haha, I was just asking for a reasoning as to why the moustached hero of the Mushroom Kingdom was firmly placed in F-tier

The_NZA

Smash Lord
No more nerfs. At all. Characters are going to have bull**** that won't ever be removed or altered further and people know it a LA quick draw, spacies neutral, G&W up-b, Rob stuff; just ****ing buff bad characters so we can have a good and fun game again

I really hope pmdt isn't just ignoring top players quiting this game because their characters are getting the bat. And I really hope people aren't just attributing it to salt.

Me, sethlon, umbreon, hamyojo, oro, and probably more.
How about juuuuuust GnW upb, reappearing landing hitboxes on bair/uair and Wario bite > Waft.
(continued)

Yeah.. It doesn't sound like you believe in mixups, and that's what it takes to have a great neutral game with this character. His platform game is 100%, his magdash is supreme.. You bring up pk fire but if you're using it in a spot that would be incredibly disadvantageous to you you're doing it wrong. In neutral you're always making decisions that keep you at an advantage, if not making it hard for your opponent to approach you. Ness has the tools to do that. It's just harder with him. Wavedash and nair are fine OoS options, I'm not sure I see the problem there.

and i could say the exact same about you lol. Doesn't seem like you totally understand how to take the reigns in neutral.
Do you have videos i can watch so i can learn how to play Ness's neutral. Me and Boiko have plenty, but i'd really love to see what top level Ness neutral looks like. AS someone who breverse magdashes quite a bit in neutral, i'm not seeing hte results you are, so i suppose you must be on another level and I could learn a lot from you.

Boiko

:drshrug:
His Footsies are fine. Magnet is an excellent spacing tool, he has a nice wavedash to compliment it. I 100% consider it a tool in his footsies game based on how closely you can do a magdash to the ground. Am I ever directly attacking my opponent with mag? Never. It's a good bait tool, magging towards your opponent, pulling back, baiting. Ness is fast, effecient, and dangerous on the ground. If he catches you with magnet you're done. Magnet > waveland > shield is a nice movement option to always throw out. You have to constantly mix things up for his footsies to work but there is a plan and there are always ways to improving it. Again, good range does not mean good neutral
That's great that you consider magnet a good spacing tool in the neutral, but it's really not. By using magnet>waveland>shield, you're committing to, a 24 frame action with a hitbox existing for a total of 2 frames if you perform this action as quickly as possible (the entire animation is very slightly longer to account for wavelanding from higher off the ground, but w/e, close enough). That's a huge commitment for something an opponent can beat simply by holding down. Magnet loses to CC, so if you're trying to just jump in behind a magnet for an approach option, a good player is going to just hold down and punish you. Alternatively, they can SDI the magnet and you can't get any follow ups...even beyond that they can just shield it and follow up after your next action.

What you're failing to consider beyond Ness' mix-ups in the neutral, is an opponent's answer to his mix ups. Unfortunately for Ness, ALL OF HIS OPTIONS lose to the same option from the opponent. Reading or predicting a particular approach is not necessary when they're all answered in the same way. It's great that he CAN mix things up, but like I said, they all lose to CC, Shield, or SDI, so the opponent just needs to choose depending on positioning, percentage, and other factors. It's very easy to counteract.

The distance was not the only point I made about his recovery. It's just an added + that his pk thunder goes a long way. His double jump is the real star. If you hang on to his double jump, you have a lot of aerial manuverability to 1. Position yourself in an optimal recovery position (which depends on the situation and what options your opponent has and will likely use to edgeguard you) and 2. counter any early attempts of an offstage edgegard. If Marth is waiting on stage with a forward smash, I ALWAYS sweetspot. It's totally scenario based, and Double jump gives you enough resource to make a worthy decision. I do understand how edgeguarding works lol. if you want a real bad recovery let's talk about sheik.
Before anything, simply because one recovery is objectively worse, it doesn't mean that Ness' isn't bad. I agree, his double jump is the best part of his recovery. It goes a great distance, and of course he can rising aerial to cover himself. However, there are going to be circumstances where his double jump has been consumed and he has to use his PKT2. He can be hit out of a DJC, for example. How can you know that Marth is going to forward smash on stage? If you ALWAYS sweetspot, I'm going to adapt, feign an attack, force you to sweet spot, and then just take ledge. Sweet spotting isn't always the best option. If I'm just hanging on the ledge, are you going to try to sweet spot? Probably not, because I'll just roll. What if you're below the ledge at an angle wider than 90 degrees? You can't shoot straight up and due to Ness' hang time at the apex of his recovery, you can't sweet spot. Recovering above the ledge is preferred, sure, but it's not always going to be the position you're in. And even if you are, Marth's fsmash should beat your sweet spot attempt, lol. He has a sword, he reaches out much farther than your LGB.

You can judge my experience as much as you want. I'm not playing with neighborhood kids though lol. I play with one of the greater Toon Links in the country on the regular, and Tink in general has a lot of great tools against Ness's recovery. This includes arrow for PKT1, Fsmash for a missed sweetspot, and everything against me landing on stage. But I have a lot more options than just those 3 scenarios which you seem to be limiting it to. There's a lot of counterplay to be had that i don't think YOU'VE put much research or attention on lol. we're not going to turn this into "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM". I'm not looking to prove myself, just Ness and what I know can be possible. Nobody in the cast outright consistently overpowers Ness in this current meta, it's just players being better than other players.
That's great that you have experiences against one good Toon Link player?? I've traveled across the country and have results against numerous top players. I've collaborated with other top placing Ness mains to discuss the character in great detail. I've spent hours researching his frame data and testing possible scenarios. You're just stating situations that I've explored, that I've seen fail in practice with absolutely no basis for support. "Do you know who I am" is an important fact to consider because there is a thing called credibility. Do you have national results with Ness like myself, stereo, nza, aki, octo, eli, etc.?? If not, then maybe you're a good theorycrafter, and that's totally possible. But as for right now, you're explaining a very linear game plan that any mid level player would have numerous answers to.

If a stall put you in a worse position you wouldn't stall
Err...no. A stall sacrifices your position in an attempt to alter the scenario to be move favorable for you. Typically, dropping lower and giving yourself less drift are negative objectively speaking. It may result in you getting back to stage because it allows you to recover against a specific blind spot against your opponent, but in exchange, if you're opponent reads this, they typically get a greater punish.

(continued)
Yeah.. It doesn't sound like you believe in mixups, and that's what it takes to have a great neutral game with this character. His platform game is 100%, his magdash is supreme.. You bring up pk fire but if you're using it in a spot that would be incredibly disadvantageous to you you're doing it wrong. In neutral you're always making decisions that keep you at an advantage, if not making it hard for your opponent to approach you. Ness has the tools to do that. It's just harder with him. Wavedash and nair are fine OoS options, I'm not sure I see the problem there.
See above regarding all mix ups having the same answer from an opponent. This is a typical argument where you're making a point that you're "playing from an advantageous position" but you're failing to consider that your opponent possesses greater tools to do that in the neutral.

and i could say the exact same about you lol. Doesn't seem like you totally understand how to take the reigns in neutral.
Okay.

In closing, your optimism about Ness is great and refreshing, and I encourage you to continue to try to prove me wrong. However, before you do that, you should fine tune your thinking process to not be so one dimensional. Smash boils down to having an answer for everything. You use x tool in the neutral, your opponent counters with y, you adapt and use z tool instead, and your opponent begins to counter with yz, etc. One most continually adapt to changing circumstances. You're going to see that your "x" "y" and "z" are all answered by the same tool in your opponent's kit. So you're now forced to try to find something new while dealing with their options which you may not have established a suitable counter for.

Ness' neutral game is weak. His punish game is severely limited by SDI. He has weak kill conversions. He has one of the lowest thresholds for vertical kills, a tool which is extremely important in smash. He has poor follow ups off of grab. You end scratching your head very often when you realize that you have no adequate way to deal with standard pressure.

Didn't proofread again. Probably not going to respond again. I've advocated for Ness' tier list position for months and months, just go read my old essays and you'll see that I was optimistic as you. Then I began to learn as my opponent's began to adapt, Ness runs out of options very quickly. But please, keep up the optimism, I mean it.

Sardonyx

星黄泉

feast your eyes. best tier list you ever dun seen.

characters obviously not in order

I needed more tiers to fully complete it in the future but close enough
I'm wondering why you say Zelda is better than the characters in C tier :o they all seem like they're much more consistent and just have better options than she does.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I the reason sheik is so high is because She still beats bad characters really badly, +1 or even with everyone below her, and goes only -1 to those above her. She's at the lower end of A tier though

Zelda is high because Umbreon told me to put her high tier and I trust his judgement and his perceived threat of her

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
I the reason sheik is so high is because She still beats bad characters really badly, +1 or even with everyone below her, and goes only -1 to those above her. She's at the lower end of A tier though

Zelda is high because Umbreon told me to put her high tier and I trust his judgement and his perceived threat of her
Wait doesn't Mario beat Shiek, if only very slightly?

Also here's my Fun to play to not fun to play against tier list.
Tier List.PNG

Wait dammit I messed up my Zard Dedede and Oli placements, they should all be in D tier myB

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I just want to say, Ness's recovery looks great on paper--long, invulnerability in the beginning, the ability stall by delaying pk thunder, the ability to stall through magnet, the possibility of double jump pkfire onto the stage, a long double jump, etc.

But what you aren't account for is the fact that you can edgeguard ALL of these systematically, one after another with a 100% success rate, as long as you treat it like a bunch of phases. If Ness pkthunders too close to the stage, you can REACT and jump off and hit him out of it. If he does it from far away, you can REACT, and grab the ledge and then punish his 20 frames of lag. If Ness pk thunder 2s high, you can REACT by running to wherever he is falling and either charging a smash attack or intercepting his floaty falling ass. The only thing thats hard to react to in Ness's recovery is his air dodge mixup, giving him exactly 1 pretty good recovery option. If you are mindful enough to consider the double jump air dodge on Ness, and pay extra attention for it, you can punish it as every other option the Ness player can pursue is announced with startup and a large "PK THUNDAAAA"

So yeah, while he looks like he has a lot of options, they all have huge startup and are deliberate branching paths.

EDIT:

I also think its dumb that you question why I play the character. I play the character because i'm good with him and love him. I invented tech for him in this game, and adore the little man. I still know that he's not that good and I'll call it out as I see it.

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Bru, you gotta SDI the down tilt away. Are you practicing on bots? Even if at point blank range, if you SDI the d tilt and continue holding away you can escape the up tilt. There isn't enough hit stun for us to chase and up tilt so the best we can do is tipper forward tilt, which won't KO you until around 160% if you have good DI. I'm not saying it's easy, but at 90% percent you have the ability to escape.

On the subject of Zelda vs Samus, how the hell do I DI down throw so I don't get Ice faired?

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Well this is my first time getting on here since that low tier city thang, so what's the topic of discussion? Btw the tournament was awesome, it was really awesome to see everybody, although my favorite part was hanging with the Chicago group lol.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Can someone put into words what Ness does?

I have hella trouble justifying character designs when I don't know what they're supposed to do, or are designed for.

Like for example "Captain Falcon DDs until he can grab and get you into the air where his speed, mobility and rotofeet are supposed to squiddlybop you into the worst case of static shock you'll ever experience."

Or "Link/Snake use a variety of projectiles and zoning tools to establish threat zones, cut off options, force positional disadvantage and make up for their poor mobility until they can secure a strong conversion off a grab." [Link Dthrow still pretty good, right?]

Or "RoB murders DMG's family in front of his very eyes."

For Ness I just have ...

"Ness, um, uh ... Mag shenanigans? I kinda start thinking he has a schizophrenic Jiggs-on-acid weave game of sorts but then I don't know what he wants out of it. Edgeguards he can't close out without extreme precision? Combos he can't kill out of without extreme precision? Maybe his gameplan is just yelling out his moves until Bardock takes pity on him and turns him Super Saiyan?"

WHAT DOES HE DOOOOOOOO

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman

I respectfully disagree on your opinion on sheik but don't really care enough to wholly debate it.

I don't understand why roy is so low though. He's fast with a crazy offensive output, long range, alright recovery, and is one of the few characters that can reliably beat CC. His only weakness is his combo weight, but everyone seems to think their character has a bad combo weight just because they can get combod. I think roy is almost strictly better than sheik, personally.

D

Deleted member

that's not to say I think rob is perfect, I have a few ideas with regards to changes. I'm just really tired of really dumb changes that aren't even nerfs or buffs, just forcing rob players to relearn timing/spacing for no good reason.
I try to listen to your ideas! I ask you about what you'd change on ROB and then you just say "I don't care about smash". Exact words.

I'm all ears.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Can someone put into words what Ness does?

I have hella trouble justifying character designs when I don't know what they're supposed to do, or are designed for.

Like for example "Captain Falcon DDs until he can grab and get you into the air where his speed, mobility and rotofeet are supposed to squiddlybop you into the worst case of static shock you'll ever experience."

Or "Link/Snake use a variety of projectiles and zoning tools to establish threat zones, cut off options, force positional disadvantage and make up for their poor mobility until they can secure a strong conversion off a grab." [Link Dthrow still pretty good, right?]

Or "RoB murders DMG's family in front of his very eyes."

For Ness I just have ...

"Ness, um, uh ... Mag shenanigans? I kinda start thinking he has a schizophrenic Jiggs-on-acid weave game of sorts but then I don't know what he wants out of it. Edgeguards he can't close out without extreme precision? Combos he can't kill out of without extreme precision? Maybe his gameplan is just yelling out his moves until Bardock takes pity on him and turns him Super Saiyan?"

WHAT DOES HE DOOOOOOOO

He dashes around trying to get in on an opponent, doing what he can to bait a bad move and then DJC weaving in with fair to follow up into pressure (aka a grab). The goal with Ness is simple--you will only win neutral a finite times in a game (8ish times), so convert 50-60% with each one and have fun. You play Ness because you enjoy the free form nature of his combo game, and you enjoy the flexibility to create a bait and punish an overextension.

Combos can vary depending on the preference of the Ness player. Some enjoy magnet based follow ups, some prefer fair horizontal combos, some prefer using nair and sourspot nair in place of fair, some prefer mixing in DJC uairs, others like StereoKIDD enjoy DJC dairs into dtilt-> DJC dairs or jab resets. There is nothing in the game as fun for me as playing Ness v. a semi fast faller or fast faller. The flexibility of the combo game is intensely rewarding.

Similarly, there is nothing more frustrating in the game as playing Ness v. floaties (since 3.02) because Ness's strengths don't show up for the fight.

It is also intensely satisfying to edgeguard as a Ness (even though most Ness players tend to be bad at edgeguarding). The way Ness can capitalize off of invincibility frames from the ledge, and put out a floatingish hitbox out there with nair feels fantastic. Edgeguarding tethers with a nair from the ledge is orgasmic.

Also, his stagger game is REALLY fun in a Fox or Marth kind of way. When you get in magnet range, you feel really good about the types of pressure you can start to invoke. It would be MORE fun if Mag was frame 5, but its highly enjoyable.

Basically, he's in a similar archetype to Lucas/Fox/MK, but he's slower, floatier, and his pressure is less intense. His creative punish game makes him indelibly fun.

Top Bottom