• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Yeah. Excellent relevant post in the Bowser forums:

Said just about 95% of all heavy/grappler archetypes players in fighting/fighteresque games ever.

Seriously epidemic with the fear of the slow, heavy character not being "slow and heavy enough" because of DAMAGES, even though inevitably their damage isn't even all that better than the next guy. Usually just more compacted into less moves, somehow.
Because big characters hit 1.2x as hard as small ones and combo 0.1x as well, they obviously also need to be 10x more vulnerable to being combo'd themselves and also have garbage neutral games.

nobias

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hence why asking for Fox to maybe not KO at 100% with a move he doesn't exactly have trouble landing isn't really unreasonable.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
In a perfect world, you Upb all grabs

In real Smash, Bowser is a buster who loses to tiny purple buttons

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Woah, didn't except to see myself quoted outside of that thread!

What can I say though, I generally at least start, if not stick with, the grappler or some heavy in games I play. Zangief, T Hawk, Hugo, Alex, Iron Tager, Kanji... I could go on. Its not even like the vast majority of them have their own set of problems, its ALWAYS is the same, due to this design decision that the slow is always an extreme representation of his issues.

Hugo is a GREAT example right now in SF4. The reason? He is pretty much the greatest "grappler" in fighting games right now... if not history. Note why I used grappler in quotation marks. Because I mean just that. He does everything in as "grappler" a fashion as you can do. Heck, even a couple of jabs from him can break over 100 damage in a game where he and the other grapplers set the bar at 1100 health. He has stupid damage and scares you to bejeebus if he gets close... IF HE GETS CLOSE LOLOLOLOL. Dude is zonebait for days, as even crouching he can be vulnerable to projectiles. Sagat in particular eats him alive. And as it turns out, he actually has so much slow movement he isn't guaranteed anything up close, although he has respectable fear factor there.

The worst part, of course, is that it is not like his damage is all that mighty when compared to the other top tiers. And that may be part of the problem, the innate factor of balancing that someone is going to have some good safe damage that makes even that promise from the big guy seem sad.

The giant problem with grapplers is that they are the definition of noob-stomper. Seriously, learning to beat a grappler is a good goalpost for when you move on from complete newbie to someone on the way to learning fighting games. How to perform SAFE offense, how to play neutral, how to punish, how to NOT get punished, NOT SPAMMING. Above all else, how to be patient. And so most developers fear making them "good" because who knows how much their newb-stompiness would get then. But the thing is, it might not get THAT good.

A great example is Iron Tager. He is an amazing skill gate character because of command grab, a super reversal AND super command grab that can ghetto reversal, an armored move and his own version of the Banishing Flat that is frankly crap against -good- zoning, but can punish spamming in a pinch. The REAL newb-stomper, though, is his Gadget Finger, where he picks up a sod from a knockdown and sets them standing... with him at +3. Now, this creates a mindgame that has all sorts of variables at higher level play, but at its most simple with tools everyone has, he basically can jab, backdash, or grab out of this. His jab can be blocked, but otherwise beats out attempts to mash through him and attempts to jump or dash his grab. His grab beats the block. And backdash is invincible, so it becomes a factor if the opponent somehow has an actual answer to him at +3 and them just standing there (SRK, another Tager with grab.) Now imagine a newbish player, who may know how to block and likely is a little overzealous in attacking back. He won't know how to answer the Gadget Finger trap at all. He'll probably try some bigger move that gets both jabbed and grabbed cleanly and thus open himself up to the scariest thing you could think of: A grappler with a vortex. Its not real, but the lowest level of play will make it real.

Now understanding HOW he beats newbies is important in context of what he needs buffed. He has little gauranteed damage. Ironic right? But for the past couple of iterations, alot of damage is hard to acquire, or involves risks or gimmicks. I believe the newest one out right now gave him a safe route of off jab, which was big, but it is still not enough. He is STILL too slow, his hitbox allows for special combos, and he gets zoned for days. Better normals, superior zoning answers... Notice none of those make the above gadget finger stomp vortex any better. Its just the archetype happens to carry tools that will kill a newer player, but making other aspects stronger, the ones that NEED it, won't really make it -worse-.

So, err... yeah. Sorry for the dissertation. As you can see, I have thoughts about bigger characters. They are nice BECAUSE they can have a lower combo count and are slower. They reward me for doing more thinking and careful decision planning, because sometimes I suck at the speed other characters ask for. But when the heavy is too slow, too reliant on reads, mistakes, and gimmicks, like is this epidemic we have, then something has got to give...

JOE!

Smash Hero
Zards New Fair <3

Air dash glide <3

Nair combos into itself and has better angles <3

Flamethrower being wonky now... Eh, can't win em all

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
3.5 Tier List

1) Ganondorf
2) Fox
3) Ice Climbers
4) Sheik
5) Marth
6) Peach
7) Captain Falcon
8) Meta Knight
9) Kirby
10) Roy
11 - 40) Everybody else because I lost interest

41) Flaco
No, Fox got nerfed, his pivotal move even. He is now low tier garbage.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
3.5 tier list

1. Nerfs
2. Zelda Changes
3. Captain Falcon Buffs

The rest: not worth repeating, sorry Yoshi mains!

Most controversial aspect of my tier list is having Zelda changes over Falcon buffs. I justify this by asking the jury to take a look at old Zelda, and how guilty they would feel if they let that *thing* roam our streets without controlling it.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Trying to play or main Bowser has already been painful enough, I'd share your pain but I'm tryin to get all fancy with Falcon's new grab

Jacob29

Smash Ace
my worry with these changes are that they wont really help Bowser out too much.

He will do better against his ok mu's but still absolutely suck vs ones he already sucked against.

can't really see anything in 3.5 to have stopped him getting trashes by links/cf/zss

Last edited:

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Balance patches seem mostly decent. Spacie nerfs (including Wolf, but not Lucas anymore, lol) seem like a total joke next to the beatdowns a bunch of the other top characters got.
Maybe I'm thinking too much in frames but it seems like a ton of stuff was sapped of shield pressure potential (was 0 on shield for Roy's uair really a problem, for example? and will those 2 frames have any impact on uair combos, for which I'm assuming the change was made?) Not everyone has safe frame 1 ground moves to follow up with, after all...
There was definitely a lot of karma equalizing in this update for sure, except for Melee high tiers but whatever.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Wait, did they just nerf the poop outta Roy's upair? Forever salty. Why would they do that?

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
I cant not touch on this.

Mewtwo's Up B has been nerfed to **** as expected.

It eats double jump, so no hover.
I'm ok with this.

But why must it eat the double jump to act out of it?

I already can double jump out of teleport without getting float.
They clearly found a fix for float out of up b without the need of eating double jump to act out of it. Feels pointless.

And besides, if you time it right, during the first few frames of the recovery, you can still act out of teleport after wasting a double jump, its an extremely tight opening, but still possible.

Also you can just, ledge cancel your up b and get a free float out of up b, and ledge cancelling up b thanks to mewtwo's new physics is the easiest ****ing thing on the planet.

Also no more woopwoopwoopwoop. Its more like, woop.. woop.. woop..

Is anyone upset that mewtwo's up b is now somewhat telegraphed?

When was mewtwo not going to be obvious with his up b on stage. He's only going to go 2 ways.

To the ledge, or for your ass. It was extremely unnecessary.

Also his tilts feel nerfed. Thats fine. His tilts were pretty ridiculous. His shadow ball comes out way slower. That was a stupid nerf imo. Not much need for that, but ey whatever. Not that much slower.

I think is down b got buffed.

Cool?

Moment of Silence for WOOP?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Calm down, it's two extra frames of lag.

Diddy was eviscerated with a rusty spoon, but I don't suppose anyone cares.

(I don't care)
Ohhhh. Two frames, I thought it was double the lag. Silly me. I'm fine with this. I got a spike, and faster walk speed.

Boiko

:drshrug:
As a Ness main I really don't mind the changes. I don't know if I would even call them nerfs besides landing lag on PKT2 which doesn't ever matter because what Ness main doesn't sweet spot or edge cancel?

P.S. So Fox is probably top tier now.

P.P.S. Sorry Lucas and Diddy mains.

Foo

Smash Lord
The ZSS changes... confuse me. Could someone explain to me what this means?
-Forward Smash
--Strong/Weak/Whip (strong)/Whip (weak) hitboxes:
--BKB: 45/30/45/128 -> 30/20/25/40, KBG: 96/100/(96/100)/16 -> 105/110/(105/110)/100

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Yeah, Fox is certainly the best character in the game now. I was afraid this would happen to 3.5. I like most of the changed, but wish Fox and Falco were hit harder. ZSS seems real good now. Will have to see how the meta evolves.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Falco nerf honestly seems reasonable. Lasers are lasers but they're Falco and not going away I imagine, so ... Pillar combos and dair edgeguards having a tighter window with better spacing seems fair.

Fox is pretty ... yeah, we'll see.

Might have needed more low tier buffs tbh but I'll take Zelda and viable Ganon for now.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I feel Diddy may of got nerfed a little too much. Pit, Lucas, Mario and Mewtwo all seem on point though.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
I feel Diddy may of got nerfed a little too much. Pit, Lucas, Mario and Mewtwo all seem on point though.
Mewtwo was a bit much. All it takes is a decent read to really avoid proper approaches mewtwo previously had, and killing acting out of up b after using double jump was dumb. In 3.0 didn't mewtwo have the ability to act out of teleport, the go into recovery? I would have been fine with that.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
So can we like... restart this thread?

New release, new stuff. Maybe start with a strict impressions thread that keeps away from tiering and whatnot, and down the road move to tiering?

I just want to see that given how outdated some of the stuff in here is.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Samus went even with Fox in Melee (allegedly) and has only gotten better.

Her recovery also wasn't hit absurdly hard. Sure tether stuff but the tether was never the main thing that made her impossible to kill anyway. She had a god tier recovery even in Murluh.

Top Bottom