• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Funny you mention Lucario CC, when CC is his BIGGEST weakness. He's problem the #1 susceptible character to CC in the entire game. Pick Roy against a Lucario and watch how easy it is. It literally almost destroys his entire neutral game. Sounds like this is a matter of not knowing and exploiting Lucario's weaknesses.
x -> d-tilt and x -> up smash are pretty reliable counters to crouch canceling for Lucario actually.

Regardless, his point about Lucario's crouch cancel -> d-tilt being strong isn't changed by whether or not the mechanic is also effective against him. I think the d-tilt comment is more about how good d-tilt is than about crouch canceling itself since it's fast, ranged, and is a meteor(?) or at least has a lot of time for a follow up into really anything.

1FD

Smash Ace
He got a bit more grab range on standing grab. I don't think that changed his throw game by a significant degree, since after the initial grab he usually has the momentum from dashing/running to get his usual regrabs?
The point was about how it made no sense to buff his grab.
It would be like buffing Sonic's REEEEEEE because whocares.
Kind of related to this post regarding grabs.
Better word.
Cheese

Snake's U-Throw is cheesy.
It has low BKB so it sets up free combos and sticks early
It has a bunch of KBG so it sets up free kills with C4 late
It's from a Grab which is already one of Snake's best qualities

It's like how Pit's Grab could lead into anything at any time, and then its range was BUFFED going into 3.0
That's called cheesing. When you take something that's good, and you make it so good it's just like 'OK why the heck is this BETTER now?' and it becomes cheesy.

It's like Marioballz and Linkrangz. Should we buff them somehow? No. They're already really good qualities for them. If they were worse, would they still be good? Yeah. Are they at the point where it's like 'OK why the heck is this SO good?'
Probably.

Maybe Kirby's D-Throw is bordering on cheesy, but it's tagged to a character that has almost a harder time pressuring people into getting Grabbed than Snake, and doesn't have nearly as solid a Grab mechanically.
If you made the Grab bigger, you would definitely be getting too cheesy.
Does it need toning down? Probably, but some toning in its certainty for follow-up won't make it worse so much as less 'OK why is this so guaranteed' and it'll get rid of some of the cheesing aspect.

AKA, we're fermenting dairy products too much.
If that makes more sense.
I finally read through that whole thread and there are some good insights that would be helpful for everybody to internalize, but the gifs and bloated verbosity really don't help. Like, it's really brilliant and detailed with good specific examples but it should have all the extra crap stripped and maybe it would be read by as many people as it deserves to be.
Sounds about right.
Should have seen his early days he posted everywhere about everything. I was just a lurker and basically saw him spell out the entire evolution of the metagame up to this point and beyond along with all the little hidden details about every character in every way that people are just starting to figure out now. I get deja vu sometimes on here because it's like a repeat of what I saw from stalking him back in the day. Both on forums and in gameplay. That was back in Jan when 3.0 first came out too and did the same with every other patch when I lurked smashmods too. He used to coach the big names for a reason and these days he just has fanboiz but it's still for the same reason.
AKA, this
Welcome to Nausica posts, enjoy your stay!
Fortunately for the forums he's super-afk-from-life and has been for a long time.
I bet I'm doing a ****ty ****ing job at being the voice for his afkness around here too.
I can throw any projectile at yoshi side b and end it. I can play a swordy and dtilt it for free. I see no problem.
^Tru this
Yoshi's side-b is juvenile. Play someone like nausicaa and he'll Yoshi Dtilt your swordy back so much better than a swordy could possibly Dtilt a Yoshi, and you'll never again think Side B is the threat Yoshi poses you. Because it's TOTALLY NOT lol

I didn't mention Ivy's recovery because we know 3.5 is happening. Not point in mentioning it.

Funny you mention Lucario CC, when CC is his BIGGEST weakness. He's problem the #1 susceptible character to CC in the entire game. Pick Roy against a Lucario and watch how easy it is. It literally almost destroys his entire neutral game. Sounds like this is a matter of not knowing and exploiting Lucario's weaknesses.

Like I said I agree Squirtle is very annoying, but you want/expect a character to be changed if that character is fair. If he' snot broken he's not getting changed. I understand the way you feel, trust me lol, but it is what it is.

I don't understand how you seem to be getting pressured so well by ZSS lasers. Are you STANDING there letting someone set them up? Cause having 2 lasers flying at you one behind the other literally takes set-up time.
ZSS blaster is really fast and she makes more use of them in combo than in neutral really. Not even dash cancelled.
So really I don't know what either of you are talking about.
You don't need set-up for them unless you're charging them but that's kinda bad, just something like a hit (dash attack, dtilt, whatever) into SH/or-not laser into grab is possible even WITHOUT the dash cancel and that's the cool stuff anyway.
So yeah, being pressured by lasers might not be what he's talking about being annoying but you're right in that it shouldn't be a big deal whether it's dash-cancel or not.
Having a fast character with a decently quick projectile is annoying either way.
It's better than Wolf's at least. LOL

I quit playing Peach in PM because of Squirtle and Ivy
Squirt because it was just too much of a patience game waiting for him to run into my stuff since I couldn't break neutral but he could never get in on me either. Ivy because FREAKING UP B GOT BUFFED INTO 3.0 WHEN IT WAS ALREADY AMAZING.
Why do these kinds of buffs happen? Like seriously!!!!

They didn't let Links Rang slide, they buffed it into oblivion because they nerfed his Grab to oblivion (funny how his Grab/Dthrow is still great yet it's TRASH now compared to 2.1, his rang was TRASH in 2.1 compared to 3.0 rang but that's not saying it wasn't already good too)
AKA, grab and rang switch stupidity
I like this Link better though. Grab-stupid Link was stupider IMO

Just don't touch my Bowser Jab and I'm happy.
Such a sexy*** godang Jab mahgawdz

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I can throw any projectile at yoshi side b and end it. I can play a swordy and dtilt it for free. I see no problem.
Because it is one of those dumbed down moves. yoshi doesn't even have to commit because he can act out of it pretty fast, I even think he can side B > jab on shield safely. It is pretty unfair to have a mobile hitbox with that much priority and speed at the same time, and it is something Yoshi doesn't even need.

I dont even think projectiles break it im pretty sure they just clank, and being a swordy doesn't matter because Yoshi doesn't have to commit with it and swordies have slow start up/endlag

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Lol, Squirtle has to work for his junk. He can circle camp you for days though. Also D-Smash covers all your options all the time. I think if D-Smash is nerfed to be a quick spin that pops up so people could actually roll away would be fine.

1FD

Smash Ace
Para^
Thisv
Yoshi's side-b is juvenile. Play someone like nausicaa and he'll Yoshi Dtilt your swordy back so much better than a swordy could possibly Dtilt a Yoshi, and you'll never again think Side B is the threat Yoshi poses you. Because it's TOTALLY NOT lol
But yeah it's like a REALLY REALLY TONED DOWN version of old Sonic Sideb. I wouldn't even be surprised if Yoshi could nAir your shield safely after SideB. Especially on a cross-up with it or something.
But really Yoshi can just play a swordy's poke game better than any swordy but maybe MK. But then he can play the hitbox explosion game like a Peach on top of that swordy style game.
And you don't need to touch SideB for any of that. It's just bonus as you said.

Mobile hitbox with that much priority and speed at the same time AND NOT VERY COMMITING
That last part is the important part. It's the reason you would bother complaining about Squirt at all. It's why Fox nair is so good, why Sonic downb is so good, why Warios old side b was so good.

Not committing on Falcon kick or raptor boost is what would make those moves GREAT rather than good, for example.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Squirtle SideB is much more committing than most movement options in this game. Complaining about something because it isn't "fun" to play against is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Falcon's Raptor Boost is awful.

Bowser's design is terrible because instead of fixing him they just gave him stupid armor all over. Kind of like how DK has intangibility on a few moves and armor on dash attack and it doesn't make it broken, but it's lazy design because he didn't need it.

Yoshi's Egg Roll beats out Sheik needles. I was surprised. He's pretty good but he doesn't need changes yet.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Squirtle can shell shift most of his moves and be completely safe while doing them. Squirtle's Side B is only used for combos, recovery, and weaving to punish punishable stuff. And vs. noobs. Hydrograb from across the stage though.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Blah blah Squirtle talks blah blah

*Internal thought in my mind*

"I play high tiers that poo on Squirtle, I can't translate what everyone is saying"

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I play a character with random MUs thrown everywhere

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No surprises, you play a character that throws people everywhere

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Every time I see posts about Squirtle I think:

"Damn, everyone is just so ignorant of this character."

Kati

Smash Lord
I thought that Lucario could just cancel his attack into the palm grab to negate crouch cancelling. Guess I'll have to try this Wednesday.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Only nerf I'd give to Fox and Falco is to lessen the damage Shine deals, it already is a great OoS option, can stop recoveries/combo with a pillar and wreck shields.

But even this may be too much of a nerf XD! But yeah, if they ever get nerfed, this is really one of the few nerfs I'll ever be okay with.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What is a squirtle and can I wear one with purple shorts?

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PM version of Zelda is mad dookie pants when it comes to being cool. I mean Zelda in general is pretty uninspiring in Smash games: it's like Ganon won't stop being up her butthole with the kidnapping and the triforce of greed, that she goes crazy

D

Deleted member

zelda and sonic are both flawed by design and its incredibly hard to normalize them to both keep their character and remain viably interactive with the rest of the cast. then again, ICs and olimar are the same way and they came out fine, so i think it's possible at least. i submitted some ideas to the development team for zelda, but i know i wouldn't want to be the one working on sonic.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I fixed Sonic already. You take off his shoes, remove his B moves, and then redo his character model so that he resembles a gerbil more than a hedgehog.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
At what point does a character lose their character, has any version of a character come close to losing their character?

Is 1.0 Dins as a whole (The AD cancel, the Dins quick timer non-clank functionality) more powerful than the current in only regards to power, and then is it worse or better design wise? Wait what's that? No ones played Demo 1.0?

Is her Up-b fine as is? Reverting to Melee'esque and getting rid of the AD cancel seems like that would dull her more (her unique form of movement being shut down) because I'm hearing rodent mice whisper pipe-line byte data through brass instruments of discernment concerning this matter; unless it was made easier to ledge cancel or something.

Is her movement being upgraded a little closer to ZSS-like a possible good thing?

Bair being changed to a different move?

What's wrong with the current iteration of Sonic?

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sonic runs fast and attacks fast. Balance that ****, it's impossible

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You implement some kind of Lucario'esque SA2 Versus chaos control speed aura, where he activates speed mode and turns into 2.1 Sonic temporarily; otherwise he's overall 1/4th slower than he is now. He gains a speed mode aura to use after taking a stock, because he took their icon..ring..

Speed up, nice unique effect to look at too (does he have some of that already in certain moves?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI_d2gkDUKY#t=10

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Congratulations player-0, you just got a character banned! Before they even got released!

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Take a stock, get an ability that vastly improves your ability to rack up damage and potentially take another stock. Zero to deaths are now the hallmark of Sonic scrubs, good players convert into zero to wins.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Take a stock, get an ability that vastly improves your ability to rack up damage and potentially take another stock. Zero to deaths are now the hallmark of Sonic scrubs, good players convert into zero to wins.
You could argue Lucario's aura does that in a more minor sense, besides starting stocks with one for the bonus flip-side. There's distance covered to build it, but that'd just make you evade and run back and forth after taking their stock like a Melee Luigi having to down-b; only damage or timers (wanting to evade again) are the already used alternatives I can think of.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Lucario's tools are vastly different from Sonic's. He's rewarded for getting in, but first he has to get in. Sonic's neutral game is better than Lucario's. Lucario's mechanic is also inherently better designed because it both creates depth and rewards skilled play; giving Sonic a speed boost mechanic just turns him into a monster every time you build the requisite charge.

Last edited:

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I thought that Lucario could just cancel his attack into the palm grab to negate crouch cancelling. Guess I'll have to try this Wednesday.
CC can allow you to counterattack or at the very least spot dodge before you get grabbed. Better to try to use it like a tomahawk grab/bowser side b instead.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
There's been a lot of talk about who the strongest characters in the game are, but what about bottom/lower tier characters?

Like, I can't help but feel Ganondorf is still pretty bad even if he's been buffed from his Brawl iteration.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ike is trash
Plz buff :p

But really, I don't think there's any problem with the lower characters. They're all solid and all are around the quality of the Melee top 8. I don't think the lower characters can benefit much without giving them the polarizing stuff that the higher tier characters already have.

The exception is Jiggs and IC. IC need sync codes and hopefully Jigs will just get universal buffs in the next iteration.

1FD

Smash Ace
ICs are like "we good" and then there's a hit and they're split and it's like 'oh shi im a melee bottom tier in a game with only melee top tiers' then nana dies and popo all like 'oh shi im a melee bottom tier in a game with only melee top tiers with no way of getting to my melee top tier status again BECAUSE SOMETHING HAPPENED and ANYTHING HAPPENING ruins me'

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
oh and if you play against a character with at least a decent neutral game, IC just gonna get pooped on.

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
Which is like everyone but who?
Ganon can even deal with them decently.
If they do anything other than Blizzard walls or WD away like crazy he'll corner them and Side-B choke slam one and jab popo if he tries going for a follow-up grab and BAM they're split and doomed unless popo can do his work until nana stands up and gets in there. lol
But yeah Ganon da bess

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Which is like everyone but who?
Ganon can even deal with them decently.
If they do anything other than Blizzard walls or WD away like crazy he'll corner them and Side-B choke slam one and jab popo if he tries going for a follow-up grab and BAM they're split and doomed unless popo can do his work until nana stands up and gets in there. lol
But yeah Ganon da bess
Bliz covers like nothing meng

Top Bottom