• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, it wouldnt look so good if they admit some character are stronger then others, especially if the ultimate goal is to have a balanced cast...
Never thought about it that way...
But wouldn't that practically turn out in the same situation as us making a tier list?

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Can't the guys who are making Project M just make their own official tier list?
They say it's not up to them to decide. They are trying to make a balanced game, so where characters fall in regards to the community is where they will be.

If they were to come out with an official tier list themselves then it could come off as they are purposely trying to make x characters better than y characters. That's not what they want game wise.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Can't the guys who are making Project M just make their own official tier list?
If they released their own tierlist they'd basically be tipping their hand regarding potential changes. Like if they come out and say "we acknowledge that Fox is OP and Jiggs is dead last", then you know those two are getting changed.

Whereas if we just make our own tierlists they're free to say "you guys are all scrubs, we never listen to what you say" while secretly taking some of our suggestions anyway.

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
Never thought about it that way...
But wouldn't that practically turn out in the same situation as us making a tier list?
Maybe it would, but I think a tier list is subjective...We play the same game, but we dont all play the same matches. That's why (in my opinion) it is hard for people to agree on ONE tier list.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
If they released their own tierlist they'd basically be tipping their hand regarding potential changes. Like if they come out and say "we acknowledge that Fox is OP and Jiggs is dead last", then you know those two are getting changed.

Whereas if we just make our own tierlists they're free to say "you guys are all scrubs, we never listen to what you say" while secretly taking some of our suggestions anyway.
... what?

didds

Smash Lord
I think I liked Strong Bad's tier list the best, and I only say that because he sees dat Yoshi potential iirc

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, I kind of lost my tier list in the wind (meaning I forgot where the hell the page I posted it is), but if I can get it back, I would make a bit of minor changes after playing more of the game against others. But trust me, my tier list would be a good one, as well.
Seriously, I lost it long ago, and I can't find it :/

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Well, I kind of lost my tier list in the wind (meaning I forgot where the hell the page I posted it is), but if I can get it back, I would make a bit of minor changes after playing more of the game against others. But trust me, my tier list would be a good one, as well.
Seriously, I lost it long ago, and I can't find it :/
I'm not too sold on your tier list being good after that absurd armor suggestion you made for Ganon.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Isn't Ganon's MU vs Bowser in Ganon's favor, if by a little bit? Bowser can outrange Ganon I'm sure, but Ganon can effectively combo Bowser pretty hard despite the knockback of some of his attacks (aerials, in this case). The only real problem is setting Bowser up for said combos. While he can aerial Flame Choke other characters (minus some fast-fallers) into a grab to up throw and then juggle, Bowser's fatass can't prop up well enough from said Flame Choke, so you're forced to tech chase to get a grab.

Okay, maybe it's 45-55 in Bowser's favor after all.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Anyone else believe many characters share the same tier placement? Like, multiple people in the #5 spot or such.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Anyone else believe many characters share the same tier placement? Like, multiple people in the #5 spot or such.
Mario and Dr. Mario. :troll:

Seriously though, I think it may be a bit too early to say. I mean, it's not like characters sharing a number couldn't happen, because it can, but I don't recall this happening in any first draft of a tier list.

1FD

Smash Ace
Well really you could look at Melee Tiers either official tiers OR whatever actually accurate tiers would be and no matter what basically every Tier Spot is shared in some way to some degree and it's a good testament to how a lot of characters could be swapped around or are swap-able and it wouldn't make much of a difference to the meaning of the tiers list AT ALL.
The same is for project M in that you could have 4/5 Tiers of 8/7 characters and each of the 7 Characters WITHIN each tier MIGHT AS WELL share a number.
When Melee could ALMOST do this for the whole cast with very few exceptions there's no way it's LESS doable with PM when so much work (YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) is put in to actually make this a distinct quality of the GAME itself. Balance in goodness is pretty directly resulted from making things fun/well designed/etc at that even. OMG my vocabulary is getting better I'm talking to bamsey to much!

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised if ganon went even with yoshi.

One of the few mu's yoshi can't just tank himself through.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yoshi can outspeed and outrange him a lot of the time. Neutral-B, Up-B, B-Air, pivot grab...They all do quite well against Ganon.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Yoshi definitely has the tools to do well against ganon (and the rest of the cast for that matter), ganon just has that gimp potential against yoshi that few others have. Poor ganon, still prolly isn't enough.

Edit: in other news I played an ic main yesterday and I'm now convinced the yoshi beats em pretty convincingly.
Feel free to discuss.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
That's enough discussion on ics.

How bout the Roy Diddy mu?

And yea, yoshi neat

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Actually, I get to see that mu a lot. All roy has to do to take a stock is grab and uthrow, but diddy has a lot of tools to make that difficult. Roy has enough disjoint and mobility to make it hard for diddy to get in, but diddy's punish game is better. Honestly I think it's a very even mu.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How the hell does diddy have a better punish game than Roy
There's like nobody Roy can't 0-to-death, diddy included, off of a dair sourspot launcher into fairs/uairs into 100+% into bair/fsmash/nB/offstage
Roy might have the best or tied for best punish game in PM

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
How the hell does diddy have a better punish game than Roy
There's like nobody Roy can't 0-to-death, diddy included, off of a dair sourspot launcher into fairs/uairs into 100+% into bair/fsmash/nB/offstage
Roy might have the best or tied for best punish game in PM
It's relative. Diddy can survive longer than Roy, especially on a larger stage. Roy, on the other hand, gets mauled by Sheik's Diddy's fair at any %

Top Bottom