• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
:rolleyes: The Project Melee Illuminati eh?
They won't stop at nerfing top tiers into oblivion; it's all a scheme leading to world domination.
You people dont understand their motives. They dont want money, power, or women. They just want project melee to have a spot at mlg and evo and i am determined to put these blasphemers back in their place. Which are side tournaments.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is exactly what I was saying about The_Enlightenment before. No stamina. Can't last a day.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I actually feel kinda honored

Relevant to thread: DooDooDooze is solidly mid-tier. Dedede is still bottom tho

Last edited:

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
You should be. Strong bad took the same punishment and is now afraid to discuss anything related to spacies on smashboards from all the trauma. You are holding up much better

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Context clues. It should never be difficult to tell what the official name of the project is when its personal youtube channel goes by a certain title. Project m is simply a slang word.
Actually, I think one time someone from the PMBR said that the name "Project M" or the such, was already taken on youtube, so they used "projectmelee" instead. I could be mistaken though...

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
Actually, I think one time someone from the PMBR said that the name "Project M" or the such, was already taken on youtube, so they used "projectmelee" instead. I could be mistaken though...
Eh that logic is sketchy at best. When I first read that i knew something fishy was going on

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
Dedede is definitely top tier.

If someone can tell me why he's bad I'd love to hear it.
Hes not, its just everyone bases their opinions off of what theyve seen before and when a character is underplayed they assume that hes garbage. You cant blame people not wanting to meddle with that tub of lard though

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
9bit I challenge you to a battle of stamina. We will fight it out in a 99 stock project m duel with our preferred character of choice. The loser drops smashboards for life.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I've been following since before Demo 1. "Project M" is the official name. "Project Melee" has never been an official name; it was used on the media channels simply because the ProjectM handle was taken and the BR didn't think to use something like "ProjectMGame" at the time.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Its called project melee because the game was copied off of it. There would by copyright concerns if the devs didnt acknowledge this, hence it is called project melee. Project m is only thrown around when people are too embarrassed to admit this in public
Yeah sure, Nintendo definitely OWNS the word "Melee".

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
OmegaObi-wan144, your psychotic ramblings are reminiscent of our past idiots, who have spread legions of stupidity long before you ever joined. In a way, you're their successor, it's up to you to continue committing acts of cumdumpstery and stupidly on these forums, you're the only one who can.

Yea I'm sitting class right now, and I'm bored beyond imagination.

Metazoa

Smash Cadet
...So how about mid-tiers? Most of us have a general idea of who's top and bottom, so I think that the middle is perhaps the most interesting part of the PM list in that there is where the lines between better and worse become increasingly more blurry.

Who's in it? Who's gonna move up or down from it?

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
...So how about mid-tiers? Most of us have a general idea of who's top and bottom, so I think that the middle is perhaps the most interesting part of the PM list in that there is where the lines between better and worse become increasingly more blurry.

Who's in it? Who's gonna move up or own from it?
I feel like there is a general consensus on who is top/bottom 10 and then everyone else is just kind of all over the place in mid tier

Metazoa

Smash Cadet
I think that's where the most interesting shifts will happen.
Who from the mid-tier will be strong enough to join the tops? Or too weak to hang with the mids and be forced into the lows?
Who from the lows will be developed enough to join the mids?

You know, that kinda stuff. Of course, being that there's few big tournaments or super metagame-defining tech for most characters right now, solid answers to these questions could take a little while.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
If the M doesn't stand for Melee they should probably take out wavedashing and L-cancelling and all those physics values ported directly from Melee.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
And not use Brawl as a base or having it on the Wii

What does "Project" have to do with Smash at all, just create your own fighting engine and all the assets

Also, all the swordies are, at the worst, solid.

Last edited:

Narsic

Smash Rookie
What defines a character now is probably along the lines of tournament viability, how a certain character increases a players chances of winning a tournament more than others. I like how right now all characters are manageable, of course I think some characters need to be tweaked a little. I just can't wait to see where this game goes

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I always thought the M stood for Mocha Latte. I mean, look how fast all of these characters move now. They must be on some sort of caffeine.

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Ike and Roy are both solid mid, imo. Marth is either low top or high mid, with Link hovering somewhere around there, too.

#swordopinions
I think people generally overrate Roy by a little bit.
I would put him in low mid at best, though my gut says a high low is more appropriate.
His core issues still remain from the transition to PM from Melee. While the rewards he receives from positive interactions are much higher he still struggles to actually come out on top. I think the rewards are high enough that Roy can succeed at almost any level of play, but as the level of skill increases the amount of mistakes Roy can capitalize on diminish and it becomes progressively harder.

It's basically the same story as Falcon in Melee competitive play (and basically his translation into PM). As you progress through big tournaments it just gets harder and harder for Falcon to do well despite having arguably the highest rewards on average from successful conversions. You can see some great Falcon players get very far at big tournaments but they always seem to fall short of the top because his weaknesses become more apparent at the highest level.

Guilu

Smash Apprentice
The mid tier is pretty much the place where characters people don't know enough about go.
Roy still has issues killing, and in general the same issues he has in Melee are still present, but his damage output is surprisingly high. I originally wrote him off as low tier but now I'm not so sure.
Definitely not top tier though.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The mid tier is pretty much the place where characters people don't know enough about go.
Roy still has issues killing, and in general the same issues he has in Melee are still present, but his damage output is surprisingly high. I originally wrote him off as low tier but now I'm not so sure.
Definitely not top tier though.
I too hope for the day that our tier lists have Top, High, and Bottom Tiers only.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I go away for one day and I miss all the enlightening fun. Seriously though, how come all these people come start their careers on the Tier List thread and end up showing their hate for SB?

Now on to real business. What is the general consensus on C. Falcon's placement on the list? Does he suffer from "the rest of the cast got better so yeah" syndrome? He seems to be definitely better than his Melee self, but where is it he falls so low? Very predictable and punishable recovery?

Top Bottom