• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

those of you who think melee is more competitive...

derpinsmash

Smash Cadet
how many of you go to brawl tournaments anyway? personally i think that if you want melee to have more tournaments you shouldn't compete in brawl tournaments at all but i'm not going to go on a forum holy war about it. just curious is all...

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
yea but then are the ppl who go to brawl tournies and end up playing melee before the tourny is over

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I go to Brawl tournaments and I think Melee is more competitive.

It's not like I have a problem with Brawl tournaments; I just prefer Melee ones.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
how many of you go to brawl tournaments anyway? personally i think that if you want melee to have more tournaments you shouldn't compete in brawl tournaments at all but i'm not going to go on a forum holy war about it. just curious is all...

I guess some of us are just giving brawl a chance. I have attended 2 brawl tourneys so far and did alright *9th place @ both events*, but to be honest i cant see myself playing this game competitively in the next 6 months.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
We're going to brawl tournaments because there's not that many melee tournaments. If a melee tournament and a brawl tournament were to happen at the same time I'd go to the melee one, but otherwise I just want to play both.

killer tofu

Smash Lord
i go to brawl tournamnets to hang out with the community but i don't enter. I think i entered one and regretted it after the first match.

I guess most people follow brawl simply because they are either giving the game a chance or just trying to keepp their community together.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I"ve been to 2 brawl tournaments, and at both I ended being bored and playing melee more than brawl at them lol. Then had people join me who also said "wow this is much more fun" Not a lie either. Ask around. :p

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
I've been at some brawl fests with lotsa people.
The matches are intense, you sit there together on the floor tapping the buttons like there is no tomorrow while the crowd in the back cheers with you.
Eventhough the fights feel like two guys playing bowser on slow motion mode[

Anyhow, after a few matches someone usually screams out, lets play melee instead and we start to feed out that crappy brawl disc to put in an good'ol melee disc to play fox vs fox on FD, no items, 4 stocks.

Generally thats what happens, the rest of the day(s) we play melee and have crazy laughs at stupid things that get messed up in matches and stunning moments when no ones breath while one of the smashers is pulling of an insane combo.

Simply, brawl is funny when you wanna try a new character out, but eventully you find out that the character sux and is boring to play and pick another one to do the same.
The music in brawl though rocks, but i still prefer to turn it off having only sound on playing Soilwork, Ill Nino, All That Remains e.tc. in the background.

Melee tournements will probably die and Brawl tournments will revive.
Durning the Brawl tournment people will play melee instead.
That's what i think'll happen. :p

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I"ve been to 2 brawl tournaments, and at both I ended being bored and playing melee more than brawl at them lol. Then had people join me who also said "wow this is much more fun" Not a lie either. Ask around. :p
Eggm is pure win :laugh:

Dude, new plan: From now on we go to EVERY Brawl tournament we can and do nothing but play Melee. Eventually everyone will realize how much more fun Melee is and we'll have successfully saved the Melee community.

GO TEAM VENTURE!

PurinPuff

Smash Rookie
I would have to agree that melee is just more competitive. But that owes generally to the fact that there are so many technical moves that you could do to make you better (ie: wavedash etc...). The way I see it is that the developers didn't make melee with the intention of people wavedashing. While that does separate a lot of casual gamers from the competitive ones it is also nice to see that brawl caters more towards the gamer who doesn't want to learn how to wavedash to play well. I think that in time, like most games before, brawl will replace melee. However, I'm positive that melee will be sticking around for a long time.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
If Melee really suffers the same fate as SSB64 (which is unlikely due to Melee being more popular as a competitive game), the era of Competitive Smash will end very soon. Truth be told, Brawl is competitive, but it can never reach the peak that Melee set because there is much more luck involved and there is less technical ability to be attained.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If Melee really suffers the same fate as SSB64 (which is unlikely due to Melee being more popular as a competitive game), the era of Competitive Smash will end very soon. Truth be told, Brawl is competitive, but it can never reach the peak that Melee set because there is much more luck involved and there is less technical ability to be attained.
the same could be said about melee 4 months after it came out, just wait and see mah' man, wait and see :p

protokid

Smash Cadet
Opinion!

You know I think Brawl will eventually be the winner.

On the other hand Melee is idd more tactical than brawl.
Plus there`s no stupid random slipping.

But I don`t rly like stuff like wavedashing.
Smash bros wasn`t made to be played like that.
It makes a gap wich is hard to get over.
That`s why I like brawl over melee.
But I keep playing melee too!:)

(I like fights without techs, but That`s my opinion ok?)

Miharu

Smash Hero
That's what you're suggesting, though.

SSBM was a game. It was created to generate revenue, and as a tradeoff for blowing $50 on a tiny mini-disc, you got to experience, firsthand, the phenomenon known as "fun."

I could care less about how you think the game was meant to be played, for that holds just about no weight any logical argument.

Please, don't post a blatantly stupid comment, and expect to avoid flames by posting "it was my opinion" right after said inflammatory comment. It's not going to work.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Smash bros wasn`t made to be played like that.
It makes a gap wich is hard to get over.
Smash was made to be played with your friends and have fun. All the rules to the game are enforced by limitations on you, by the game. You can play it however you want, but there is no set way to play unless the game itself doesn't let you.

Also, certain people like bridging that gap. It's fun for them. Not everyone has fun the same way.

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't administer it like fact.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
I've been to several Brawl tournaments. I hated them. I think I had fun during one match. Sure, Brawl's got competative potential, but Melee's got more. I mean, there is actually LESS that you can do. It's slower, it's frustrating, and there's no rush of excitement. This is a mutual agreement among most (keyword most) people who have played in a few tournaments already. There are so many reasons. Hardly any combos, mindgames are inefficient, edgeguarding is impossible for characters that don't have multiple jumps or wings...the list just goes on and on.

Then there's the issue of tripping. Do you remember why items are banned? If not, it's because a lucky item span can change the outcome of a match. Really though, that should be decided by skill and not a lucky item spawn. Items can skew the results of a match. Tripping is the same. A lucky chance that you trip and your opponent wins, when really you should have won, just screws it all up. You can't turn it off. I'm sorry, but that's the last straw. Brawl should be banned from tournaments.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I could beat some of my friends without getting Ko'ed in Melee, but in Brawl it's usually 50/50. That is what makes Brawl less competitive, the randomness and that being better doesn't mean winning.
Why would anyone go to a tournament where they're playing for money(or not) if training and effort won't make you win? It's like going to a coin flipping tournament, except the coin takes a lot longer to fall.

Melee will endure the same fate as Smash64 at the hands of its newer rival, new rivals allways win btw
That makes no sense, you're saying newer=better, take Sonic or Megaman(classic/x/legends>>>>newer MM's) games for example, does that apply?
Absolutely not.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
yea but then are the ppl who go to brawl tournies and end up playing melee before the tourny is over
Brandon, are you talking about me?

That's what you're suggesting, though.

SSBM was a game. It was created to generate revenue, and as a tradeoff for blowing $50 on a tiny mini-disc, you got to experience, firsthand, the phenomenon known as "fun."

I could care less about how you think the game was meant to be played, for that holds just about no weight any logical argument.

Please, don't post a blatantly stupid comment, and expect to avoid flames by posting "it was my opinion" right after said inflammatory comment. It's not going to work.
Um, I agree with everything you said... but I think you quoted the wrong post.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I agree, I like the taste of bawls in my mouth.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
hey something silimilar is happenieng to me.

april 17th there is oging to be a huge melee and brawl tournament. which one should i go to?

im thinking the brawl one since ive been playing brawl non stop.

but brawl insnt as intense as melee.... dam it ! lol cash prize too.im prolyl better at brawl since i leanred to be pro ( At's , Mindgames, DI ) at melee a little late

TheLake

Smash Master
bawls is a good drink who agrees
I dipped my head in a bucket of ice cold water to get some at a convetion i went to. I love bawls <3

Melee will win in the long run. The word is longer for crying out loud than measly ol brawl. Err well at least it SOUNDS err....itsmorecompetitiveandhasmewtwo! *runs*

FrostedSoul

Smash Rookie
I would find it hard to join a brawl tornament because in my opinion brawl doesnt represent a real competitve 1 on 1 game.Considering most are seen as fast paced and possesing the ability to combo.I migth be wrong, but ive never heard of a slow paced competitive 1 on 1 game.

SunriseW12

Smash Apprentice
See, I would, by all means, go back to melee. I really would. But the sad fact for me is that no one around here plays, there is no really useful online for it, and there is no real way for me to get better/have fun.

It's truly sad though. I played melee a few minutes yesterday and was amazed at how fast the gameplay went. It was like a dead place inside me had been filled...

But really, the melee tournament scene will die. No one will endorse it. But since the melee tournament scene will die, ALL of smash tournaments will die, seeing as how, like everyone has said, brawl won't have as long a lifespan as melee, not by a long shot.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
I dont ****ing care anymore wich is more competetive. Reason? I dont live in the states. I live in Poland. In this country people are recently starting to realize how Nintendo is good actually. Im planning to start a tourney scene no matter what since Melee was nonexistent competetively here. Brawl at least has chance since:

1) Its new. And
2) No one will ****ing compare those 2 different games :p.

I always were in pain when I couldnt play my favourite game with someone who could compete with me. With Brawl I might change that.

So yeah Melee IS more competetive but here where I live it doesent matter :p.

Top Bottom