• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Not sure that the Arwing would be playable in Smash Bros... just doesn't seem to fit for me >.<

From the looks of things I'd say those last 6 images are possibly how each character finds out about this whole mess, such as the first four are in the arena, Yoshi and Link see it approaching/leaving from a distance, Fox is flying along happily until he gets fired upon by the Halberd when approaching/leaving, Palutena alerts Pit of the danger being caused by whoever it is, and Samus sees all this through some sort of video surveilance?

Just a guess of course, could be completely off...

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
lol i get why peach was watching Mario and Kirby's fight but why was Zelda there? ZeldaxKirby confirmed? to the hammer bros thing it's just the same move shown in the assist trophy profile. KJ confirmed more then one move for assist trophy. plus since some trophies can be defeated I'm sure that is what level fox is in, one that has assist trophies to fight. i love the hinting of new characters. i hope it leads to interesting ways to unlock characters. also i hope the adventure mode has good difficulty settings this time. as the last one you just took more damage from random enemies. I'm hope they get better AI.

Edit: just occurred to me. what about hidden characters. will they just be hinted at and have there own unique storyline? alternate ending ftw?

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
Not sure that the Arwing would be playable in Smash Bros... just doesn't seem to fit for me >.<

From the looks of things I'd say those last 6 images are possibly how each character finds out about this whole mess, such as the first four are in the arena, Yoshi and Link see it approaching/leaving from a distance, Fox is flying along happily until he gets fired upon by the Halberd when approaching/leaving, Palutena alerts Pit of the danger being caused by whoever it is, and Samus sees all this through some sort of video surveilance?

I think you're right about that. It seems likey since the video itself is about the story unfolding.

Dashiamo

Smash Cadet

The puppet things can do a charge shot like samus?

Also look just left of the floating robot shooting at samus, are those shell casings? (i think i spelt that wrong)

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman

good point. either way, this mode looks awesome

Fawriel

Smash Master

That sounds really likely. The snippet we got from the video sequence is cut off suddenly, so there's still more to follow. Most likely exactly what you see in the following screenshots.

Oh, by the way, ANOTHER hint to Zamus being readily available. ^^

The puppet things can do a charge shot like samus?

Also look just left of the floating robot shooting at samus, are those shell casings? (i think i spelt that wrong)
I think that suggests that the puppets can copy the movesets of all characters.. how interesting.
And yep, it seems like it.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I wonder if they are going to have voice actors for the 'short movies'..it would be weird though

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
I hope the puppet is playable
I don't think it will be, as it's just a generic enemy for this mode. Moreover, am I the only one that thinks that there's a couple of types of this enemy shown today? The ones in the vid look different somehow to the one firing at Samus...

Fawriel

Smash Master
I can't believe no one ( including myself ) mentioned this yet.

The Subspace Emissary!

...what on earth does this mean?

The Emissary... is that what the puppets are called, or is it the one who sends them?
What is that subspace?
How does this affect the possible plot?

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe no one ( including myself ) mentioned this yet.

The Subspace Emissary!

...what on earth does this mean?

The Emissary... is that what the puppets are called, or is it the one who sends them?
What is that subspace?
How does this affect the possible plot?
Emissary: to send out ;an agent employed to further certain interest or gain information.

Webster got that for me.

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
i think Metaknight is the emissary...emissary is a representative of someone...so I guess meta is working for the main bad guy

Fawriel

Smash Master
Now, Sakurai seems to have stopped being so modest ( happy birthday, you old *******! ), but I doubt that he'd make Metaknight the main focus of the whole story mode. *shakes head*

Plus, besides that he's not actually evil, how do you explain that he's seen fighting monsters?
And who would he be up against if you choose to play as him?

subspace:

1. a smaller space within a main area that has been divided or subdivided: The jewelry shop occupies a subspace in the hotel's lobby.
2. Mathematics.
a. a subset of a given space.
b. Also called linear manifold. a subset of a vector space which is itself a vector space.
c. a subset of a topological space, having the relative topology.

emissary:

–noun
1. a representative sent on a mission or errand: emissaries to negotiate a peace.
2. an agent sent on a mission of a secret nature, as a spy.
3. Anatomy. sending or coming out, as certain veins that pass through the skull and connect the venous sinuses inside with the veins outside.
4. pertaining to an emissary.
–adjective
5. Archaic. sent forth, as on a mission.

-dictionary.com

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I've always wanted something like this... all the good characters fighting together against a common evil. I like how they keep Bowser out of the screens. Almost as if they're making you wonder if he's part of it or not.

But yeah, this is really exciting. A fully-fledged one player mode where each of the characters are (hopefully) brought together under a common enemy. It'd be cool if the puppet things were such a threat that Bowser had to team up with the good guys.

By the way Sakurai talks about it in the update, it seems to me like they're putting a lot of work into this mode. Finally, an adventure mode that Smash Bros has deserved!

I like this the most, though:

"The Adventure mode also emphasises character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens... It’s really something you won’t see anywhere else."

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
emissary is a cool word...reeks of epicness..maybe thats why they used it in ds9, dunno about the hydraulics thing though lol

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
maybe reek isn't the best word for this...but there are definitely some nice aromas flying around right now

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
i'm going to sleep inside walmart for this, maybe hide myself in sleeping bag. its that serious.

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
Not sure if anyones posted this up yet but look:

Look at the persons arm next to pit, who is it? I thought it was zelda at first but shes been show on all the pictures to be wearing gloves, not metal arm guards.

Could it be Palutena?

soaz

Smash Ace
Not sure if anyones posted this up yet but look:

Look at the persons arm next to pit, who is it? I thought it was zelda at first but shes been show on all the pictures to be wearing gloves, not metal arm guards.

Could it be Palutena?
I think so but she might not be playable cuz she might just be in the adventure mode.

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
I think so but she might not be playable cuz she might just be in the adventure mode.
Yeh true, although I would love to see her as a charater, she is basicly the zelda of kid icarus.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
Sorry for the double post, but I just noticed something lolzacks! On the "Characters" page, if Peach is the next character update, Peach, Zelda, and Kirby would be lined up vertically with each other!! Wait. Link and Yoshi are also in the same row. (This is just a funny coincidence though. I'm not one of those people who thinks the smallest thing means some game changing event like some people around here. Just noticing things...lol)

Fawriel

Smash Master
Fair enough, but the more focus they put on Zamus in the updates, the more likely it seems for her to be readily available. They seem to be treating suitless Samus as a standard... she's seen more often without it than not. If it's even in an intro cutscene, I can imagine that she'll readily start battle without her Power Suit on.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough, but the more focus they put on Zamus in the updates, the more likely it seems for her to be readily available. They seem to be treating suitless Samus as a standard... she's seen more often without it than not. If it's even in an intro cutscene, I can imagine that she'll readily start battle without her Power Suit on.
Good point. I think in the end Zamus will be playable from the start, but since she is protrayed as the horrible side effect of a kick *** Final Smash, she's not gonna be very good. I think Sakurai will make her playable from the start only to those people who want to risk using her.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Wow never saw this coming, this to me is my top three best updates so far. The other two being the controllers and Ike of course. But still, I think it's safe to say Peach is confirmed now so we will probaly get a character update for her sometime next week. And with the screenshot with pit standing there and that glowing figure is that palutena?

iMichael

Smash Lord
yeah I have to agree with ya on that one.....they've been showing her lately as ZSS....and with that castle siege update as it takes you through different levels even on top of the castle roof she was ZSS either shes solo or the smash balls come really early in battle....I also said this last night in another post:lick:

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I think that you're gonna be able to play as ZSS from the start of a match. By holding a certain button down, like with Sheik in Melee. They're making too much of a big deal over her to have her appear only after a final smash.

However, I don't think that she's gonna start matches without her armour, though. That makes no sense. ZSS has only appeared for short times in Metroid games, so why would they make her Samus' standard appearance? It'd be like making Mario's standard appearance him with F.L.U.D.D. It just makes no sense.

The whole thing with her being in her ship in those screens. Well, like other people said, she's not gonna go to bed in her armour, is she? Having her out of armour in her intro movie makes her a more sympathetic character. People are gonna relate more to a woman than to a woman in a giant suit of armour that blasts space pirates. It ties in with what the update says about character development. That pic of her looks like she's possibly worried. They can't do that if she looks like a robot.

EDIT - One thing i was wondering about Adventure Mode is whether it'll be like Melee's 1 player, where you pick whatever character you want and go through the levels, or will it be a case of playing as who the story requires you to play as? For example, you play as Mario on the first level and then pass things onto Kirby, who mets up with Link etc.

Just before writing this i thought that it was a cool idea, but now i don't, haha. Considering the possibility that each character will have their own intro movies and background, it could also be a case of selecting Mario and playing Mario's version of the Adventure Mode, and so on.

Regenerator

Smash Cadet
I'm way to excited to read through 75 pages of post just to make a reply. So forgive me if anyone has said this already.

"More than anything, Smash Bros. is a competitive action game. People have been kind enough to praise its multiplayer aspects, but we’ve never been able to create a fully-fleshed out single-player game."

Does this mean that Sakurai actually acknowledges the competitive Smash scene?

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
I'm way to excited to read through 75 pages of post just to make a reply. So forgive me if anyone has said this already.

"More than anything, Smash Bros. is a competitive action game. People have been kind enough to praise its multiplayer aspects, but we’ve never been able to create a fully-fleshed out single-player game."

Does this mean that Sakurai actually acknowledges the competitive Smash scene?
I think you're forgetting that Smash Bros. is what people call a "fighting game". "Fighting" games are when people fight against each other, as the name implies. That means that if you even play the game, you are "competing" against one another. If you're a casual player and you still play the game, that's still the "competitive Smash scene." The only people that aren't in the "competitive Smash scene" are people that don't play the game. So obviously he's acknowledging the "competetive Smash scene" because competing is what the game is all about.

D

Deleted member

"The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens... It’s really something you won’t see anywhere else."

What could this mean? Will we see more characters appearing in Cameos? It would be cool to see characters from Ike's history, or Link's (*coughralphcough*) appearing at some point.

Top Bottom