• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
This eems totally epic,but like someone siad it doesn't look like you can just choose who you play with from the start.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I was never a supporter of a beefed-up single-player mode. And I admit, as I was going down through the update, I was looking for a reason not to like it. But I can't find a reason to hate it. As long as he knows that single-player is never as important as the multiplayer mode.

Questions:

-Are Yoshi and Link watching the "Mario/Kirby/Zelda/Peach Stadium ruckus" from a distance?;
-Are they all grouped stories?(KIrby/Mario) If not, why is Pit and Samus more special than everyone else to get their own?
-Why did Sakurai emphasize it's on the same Game Disc? It better be, this is Next-Gen. I'm not a master of disc space, but I think the Wii Game Discs deserve more credit than he's giving them.
-How is Meta-Knights ship shooting at a perpendicular angle to the way it's flying?;

PS: That IS Palutena, and Zelda is a lot more badass than before, I might have to start using her more.

Fastest

Smash Ace
I hope you kids realize that this "ZOMG SINGLE PLAYER" crap only serves to delay the game's completion. Perhaps we wouldn't be looking at a December 3rd release date if Sakurai knew how nobody cares about single player.

Though, I suppose the excitement you kids seem to be having over this news would imply that you actually do care about it. :( *sigh*

CozaMonkey

Smash Journeyman
Wow today's update is probably my favorite one so far. Multiplayer was a given, we were all going to be playing the multiplayer and loving it. But with this news, it looks like single player is shaping up to be an awesome experience as well. Adventure mode in Melee was headed in the right direction, where you had to move through obstacles besides just other characters. It never really seemed like a true campaign mode though, one with a meaningful story to it. Seems like that's exactly what they're trying to do now. Can't wait til Dec. 3.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I hope you kids realize that this "ZOMG SINGLE PLAYER" crap only serves to delay the game's completion. Perhaps we wouldn't be looking at a December 3rd release date if Sakurai knew how nobody cares about single player.

Though, I suppose the excitement you kids seem to be having over this news would imply that you actually do care about it. :( *sigh*
A lot of people quite clearly care about single player mode. And it's not delaying the game's release. They didn't announce it for September 5th and then announce a new date, "December 3rd, because of the single player mode".

There's only a few people who decided what happens with the game, and they've decided to do a bulked out story mode, something they've wanted to do since the beginning.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Questions:

-Are Yoshi and Link watching the "Mario/Kirby/Zelda/Peach Stadium ruckus" from a distance?;
-Are they all grouped stories?(KIrby/Mario) If not, why is Pit and Samus more special than everyone else to get their own?
-Why did Sakurai emphasize it's on the same Game Disc? It better be, this is Next-Gen. I'm not a master of disc space, but I think the Wii Game Discs deserve more credit than he's giving them.
-How is Meta-Knights ship shooting at a perpendicular angle to the way it's flying?;

PS: That IS Palutena, and Zelda is a lot more badass than before, I might have to start using her more.
-Technically they are watching the Halberd from a distance. It's possibly some kinda anachronistic flashback of how they saw the Halberd head towards the Stadium.
-It seems to me more like they're all part of the same intro sequence, and they all just notice the invasion in some way.
-Probably because this thing actually has its own name. I showed this update to my ex-girlfriend who doesn't know much about the game and she was confused because this was about "The Subspace Emissary", not Brawl. She needs to get her eyes fixed, but still.
-A wizard did it.

PS: It is, and hell yeah!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
A lot of people quite clearly care about single player mode. And it's not delaying the game's release. They didn't announce it for September 5th and then announce a new date, "December 3rd, because of the single player mode".

There's only a few people who decided what happens with the game, and they've decided to do a bulked out story mode, something they've wanted to do since the beginning.
It's a good idea to since it adds replay value due to the character's different storylines.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
It's a good idea to since it adds replay value due to the character's different storylines.
I honestly don't care WHEN it comes out if he has to re-delay the game just to add more....stuff to the game then so be it. I love a great game no matter how long it takes to finish. Quality is what counts to most gamers.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I honestly don't care WHEN it comes out if he has to re-delay the game just to add more....stuff to the game then so be it. I love a great game no matter how long it takes to finish. Quality is what counts to most gamers.
I know, but I don't think they'll delay the game, though. They had a while to do all these things, anyway. They're just showing us what they've done. That's how I see it.

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, guess I'm not starting with Classic mode anymore.

I also think this means Peach will be posted on the site next week.

etrain911

Smash Apprentice
I know he would give us a great update on his birthday. I wonder what that eyeball thing encased in a black circle was.

WR3K

Smash Ace
i hope to god the c-stick is availiable in this lol, i know, i know, its hated upon

but that would make this alot less stressfull

Wreked

Smash Lord
I don't know etrain911 i've never played any kid icarus games. And on the same note of WTF characters, WTF is that goat thing fox is running from, and the squids that metaknight is fighting.

mlmatyi

Smash Rookie
Remember Kirby Superstar from SNES? Anyone who has played it knows that they recycled a lot from this game into the Super Smash Bros series - gameplay, stage design, Arena Mode became All Star Mode, the big rock boss became Master Hand, etc etc. I can totally see this adventure mode resembling The Revenge of Metaknight game from Kirby Superstar.

In any case, this looks really cool. The description sort of makes it out to be a single player game although I think a 'co-op' mode would be awesome. I'm also glad to see Peach make an appearance - she's one of my favorite characters in Melee.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
So far this update has cleared up a few things:

1. The "Mario and Kirby breaking rules" theory has been proved false. Told you so.
2. Meta Knight will indeed not be a bad guy.
3. The stadium in the intro will indeed be playable, perhaps not in the way we want it though.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
That was so beautiful. I think Im going to cry. Oh yes. Well atleast people will shut up about "omg will Sakurai make Story Mode!11!1!!1" thats one good thing.

Wreked

Smash Lord
smash_fan I think that it was them shaking hands. I guess the bad guys don't want any sportsmanship just for all the people to fight. I don't know just a theory.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
GOD! Did anybody actually see the little movie attached to the update?

It clearly shows Mario and Kirby shaking hands and cheering, not running away because they "have broken the rules".

And who says Meta Knight hasn't been kicked out of his own ship?

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
how do you know meta knights not a bad guy?

cause they show him playing the adventure mode? that doesn't make sense. It's still his ship.
How do we know the guy behind this invasion didn't just jack Metaknight's ride when he wasn't looking?

"Dude, where's my Halberd?" :laugh:

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
At this point in time, the game HAS to be complete. The only thing that Nintendo's doing now is lots of beta testing to iron out any kinks that might still be there.

Everything we're seeing, in the end, is already finished.

With that said, this update was brilliant! What a way to start the day... and with the imminent profile of Peach around the corner, I really look forward to next week!

And to Fastest: I personally didn't care for the Adventure mode in Melee or the Single Player mode either, but this "Subspace Emissary" story mode looks incredible and, being an avid RP gamer, I really look forward to how Nintendo incorporates the various plots and backgrounds of not only their characters but the 3rd party characters, especially Snake, into one master plot that surrounds this Emissary. Smash was going to get a full-fledged plot eventually and I'm happy to know that we'll finally get one.

~Old Man Nintendo

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
The graphics look so awesome, in some of the pics he posted. It seems you're gonna have to understand each character's background history to understand the story. I should have bought more Nintendo games... :(

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
- "Faces in the clouds" theory: pwned
- "Mario and Kirby break the rules" theory: possibly pwned
- All overly complicated story theories: pwned

And Sheik was also confirmed earlier.

Man I hate being right all the time :D

And oh yeah... I NEED this game.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
LOL. It took me about six minutes to realize Peach is confirmed. Oh man.

Anyways, I think the two are related, just because of that movie clip. It takes place in the arena with Mario and Kirby holding hands like in one of the "This world..." pics. I also checked game modes and "Adventure" and it has a link to "This world..." and "The Subspace Emissery" which could also mean that they ARE two complete different story lines.

Eaode

Smash Champion
who says meta knight HAS been kicked out of his ship?

its more likely that e's in HIS ship than for him to be randomly hijacked. Even if he ends up being good in the end, it's still his ship, so it's pretty safe to assume (while still acknowledging the other possibility) that he's in it.

XDead Sexy

Smash Apprentice
I really dont see how meta knight could be kicked out of his own ship by those lame box dudes meta knights evil whats the big deal i think he makes a cool enemy or rival and with Sakurai he wouldnt say someones breaking the rules and show Mario and Kirby coming to a truce with them ordered that way remeber there trophies not the actual Mario and Kirby there trophies thats what I think.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
So far this update has cleared up a few things:

1. The "Mario and Kirby breaking rules" theory has been proved false. Told you so.

1.What? If anything,this proves it. There sending down the puppet things to stop them because they broke the rules.

Fastest

Smash Ace

Thanks for stating the obvious that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

For the record however, If less focus was placed on single player, then logically the game would be done faster. Focus being time and money.

The decision to have a large single player component was undoubtedly made early in development. Thus, if it had not been made, one can only assume that the release date would be before December 3rd.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
"Oh, and this is all included in the same Game Disc, so rest easy." -- I wonder why he felt the need to throw that in there. Is the game reaching the disc's complete capacity? O_O

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Anyways, I think the two are related, just because of that movie clip. It takes place in the arena with Mario and Kirby holding hands like in one of the "This world..." pics. I also checked game modes and "Adventure" and it has a link to "This world..." and "The Subspace Emissery" which could also mean that they ARE two complete different story lines.
Eh, whatever.

I thought a simple logic deduction from the site would point out that the two are one and the same thing, only, one thing is an update to the other, and since this is a blog style, Sakurai wouldn't just go and edit the first "post", because it would be too complicated to update the whole thing.

I really dont see how meta knight could be kicked out of his own ship by those lame box dudes meta knights evil whats the big deal i think he makes a cool enemy or rival and with Sakurai he wouldnt say someones breaking the rules and show Mario and Kirby coming to a truce with them ordered that way remeber there trophies not the actual Mario and Kirby there trophies thats what I think.
If each of the 100 Smurfs existing would be attacking me, I would crap my pants.

1.What? If anything,this proves it. There sending down the puppet things to stop them because they broke the rules.
And how DID they break the rules?

Top Bottom