• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I'll repost what I have said before.

This will specifically talk about the storyline mode of it, and... how it could make us care. For those of us who are dedicated to the Nintendo series of Starfox, Mario, and all the other games, then read this post... because this concerns the storyline of it.

For those of you who had played Final Fantasy 7, we all know it sucked when that one special girl died. We all know that really touched us. For those who played Tales of Symphonia, when everyone seemed to have sacrificed themselves for our hero, that really touched us too. We all know in the great RPG genres that some games had storylines that really made us care and want to find out more. Each RPG had its own special moment that was pretty memorable. Can Super Smash Bros. Brawl do that?

Now, this is what I want you to do: imagine each scene I describe in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. And tell me that won't make you care. But first, let me make some speculations...

Picture if Super Smash Bros. Brawl had multiple storylines that revolved around the same general plot. It would be like when you choose your character from the beginning, you would take the perspective of that character. If you chose Mario, you chose Mario's storyline. If you chose Kirby, you chose his perspective.

Would Brawl have such a heavy storyline that, if there were multiple perspectives, would you play the storyline at least once for every character? Would the Brawl storyline want to make you do that?

Now comes for the "imagination" part...

If Brawl could really make us care, there would have to be suspense, drama, and sorrow within the storyline. We would have to have every element an RPG could have--even the humorous parts, as dark as the storyline may seem now. Imagine...

... a fight between Fox and Krystal (if she's in the game). Though they love each other, because of the "rules of the world," they are forced to fight. Imagine Krystal or Fox becoming a trophy in front of each other... dead...

... now imagine the same thing except between: Mario and Peach, Link and Zelda, and any other "related" characters you could think of.

... imagine dialogue in the game. Actual characters talking and interacting with each other, talking about how they're being treated as gladiators/slaves. Imagine Metaknight making a large speech of how they could escape to freedom from the wretched arena--about having a free life.

... imagine a grand finale, where every single character joins up to fight the one force--the "rules." Imagine how they all team up, despite their differences and past rivalries, against this one force.

... imagine, if the Ice Climbers were in the game, the two being seperated from each other--and possibly forced to fight each other. The duo we once knew now against each other.

... imagine if there were more enemies than imagined. Maybe the classic enemies of Goombas, Koopas, and those annoying plant things from Zelda. Maybe the Heartless from Kingdom Hearts (if that's possible). Maybe some of those Android things from Starfox--maybe Andross himself.

... imagine the torture these characters face when their sole purpose is to fight and be slave-driven gladiators.

... imagine if Brawl made us care enough to shed a tear, or laugh aloud, or stomp our feet in anger at the game (due to the storyline). Imagine if Brawl could do all these things and create the next legendary storyline.

... imagine that, if we did escape to Kirby's homeland of Dream World, it being invaded by bounty hunters because "Kirby broke the rule" or it being corrupted by nightmares during Kirby's absence.

... imagine a trophy with a potential of wrecking mass destruction upon the world, awaiting to be awoken...
... a trophy hidden deep within the darkest corners of the world...

Now comes the concern: what if "The World" update was actually some sort of boring Classic-mode game? Where all you do is fight random enemy opponents? What if "The World" was just a more spiced-up version of Classic mode? What if there really is no storyline mode?

But the main topic here is if Brawl does or does not have an actual storyline mode--but more importantly, would this story make us want to care?

If people are concerned about "characters won't be able to talk," then here is a list of proof:

I have seen many characters from the Melee game talk; I'll list them.

Mario: He said simple phrases like "I'm tired" in N64, and did have his own kids' cartoon.
Luigi: He talked a lot to Mario in Paper Mario and the cartoon.
Peach: She has said a lot before--nearly in every Nintendo game she was in.
Bowser: Said plenty before, such as in N64 and Sunshine, along with Paper Mario.
Yoshi: Yoshis spoke the normal language of people in Paper Mario--but otherwise they didn't... but still.
Donkey Kong: I specifically remember him having his own CG-cartoon before. But otherwise, no.
C. Falcon: He's talked enough already--****ed taunt...
Ganondorf: Zelda series.
Falco: Starfox series.
Fox: Starfox series.
Ness: Someone clarify me on this; I do reckon he had his own RPG but never knew if he talked in it.
Kirby: He doesn't actually speak advanced but I'm sure he could say simple phrases like "Hi" or "Huh?"
Samus: She's voiced by Jennifer Hale in the Prime games, and in Zero Mission near the end where you infiltrate the pirates ship, she talks ( but with no voice over, just text).
Zelda: Zelda series. I would include Link and Y. Link but they don't say anything coherent.
Poke'mon: They say their name--Poke'mon like Mewtwo however do talk.
Roy/Marth: Fire Emblem series.

So nearly every character in Melee talked at one point in time.

---

Also, the idea of having one super-powerful trophy that has yet to be awoken is pretty awesome to me. What is the rules created were meant for safety, and when these rules are broken, "a terrible price must be paid" and the great trophy comes? These rules aren't necessarily bad things.

It would be pretty awesome that you can take on the perspective of a specific character when you first begin and from that point onward. It would increase replay value much and for those who are hardcore to the storyline then it would satisfy players. It also gives you something to do in your spare time when there aren't friends to play with in Smash.

Another note that should be concerned, as I vageuly mentioned before, what if Storyline mode is just a beefed-up Classic mode that's pretty lame on plotline? I'd be pretty disappointed, but meh. We can't assume much yet until we are supplied with more hints as to what the story would be.

For those who are concerned about how "Brawl can't have a storyline! It's a fighting game to the pure! It's not an RPG!"

A game doesn't need to be an RPG to have a thriving, deep storyline that's dramatic and intruiging. A fighting game like SCII maintained a firm (although pretty boring) storyline in it's single-player "Weapon Master" mode, and I've heard hints as to Mortal Kombat also doing this in one of their games. They are both not RPGs, but they both have storylines. So why not Brawl? Why can't Brawl be the "movement" of fighting games and step up to be a change?

With the unique, intensive battle system of Brawl combined with Nintendo's cast of characters, a handful of third-party figures, and a possibly epic and legendary storyline, I don't see why Brawl would be the game of all time in the up-coming future.
That would be the stupidest **** to ever grace the Nintendo universe. kthx no

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
That would be the stupidest **** to ever grace the Nintendo universe. kthx no
Larry Flynt is right! You guys stink!

...no really though. In all seriousness, I agree with Xanderous completely. Ever since this stupid update on Friday people have been going ape**** over these deep, convoluted potential story lines. It's not going to be anything incredibly deep. Maybe deeper than the 1P modes in Melee, but it's still a fighting game. And if there is a story, it's not going to involve ANY of those scenarios that Xanderous quoted.

Oh, and for good measure, there are still no faces in the clouds. Not even Bowser.

Ash Hol

Smash Apprentice
Heres what I think

Mario and kirby are agreeing not to fight

maybe there are antagonist and protagonists in this game (i mean in the playable charaters)

and since they didn't agree to fight either one got turned into that thing or he showed up. i dont think he's like the wire frame. cause those wire frames/ fighting polygons have a theme of video game ummmmmmmm like how 3d models are made.

just my thoughts

i hope he is playable

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think I might know what happened...

One day, a child decided to play with his Nintendo Miniatures... his trophies... His right hand is the Master Hand, the ruler of and giver of life to the Smash Dimension... His left is Crazy Hand, the destroyer. Master Hand created the Fighting Wire Frames and Giga Bowser... He makes the rules of the game for it is HIS world and he is supposed to stay there.

However, the Hands left the Smash dimension and invaded Dreamland, the home of the REAL Kirby and not the Kirby trophy of the Hands. Eventually, he returned to the Smash Dimension to play with his trophies, and Meta Knight... the REAL Meta Knight from Dreamland followed. Master Hand, by opening a portal to the REAL Nintendo worlds and allowing the REAL Meta Knight in, has broken the rules, and the Smash Dimension and the Trophies... the FAKES... will pay the ultimate price.

Sweetness

Smash Rookie
A place where the wii has been out for years and w
Actually, I think I might know what happened...

One day, a child decided to play with his Nintendo Miniatures... his trophies... His right hand is the Master Hand, the ruler of and giver of life to the Smash Dimension... His left is Crazy Hand, the destroyer. Master Hand created the Fighting Wire Frames and Giga Bowser... He makes the rules of the game for it is HIS world and he is supposed to stay there.

However, the Hands left the Smash dimension and invaded Dreamland, the home of the REAL Kirby and not the Kirby trophy of the Hands. Eventually, he returned to the Smash Dimension to play with his trophies, and Meta Knight... the REAL Meta Knight from Dreamland followed. Master Hand, by opening a portal to the REAL Nintendo worlds and allowing the REAL Meta Knight in, has broken the rules, and the Smash Dimension and the Trophies... the FAKES... will pay the ultimate price.
Very clever and creative. It would make for a good storyline, but theres one flaw. Not everyone who plays smash has played Amazing Mirrors, and Sakurai knows it.

I stick with my theory, no one has broken the rules. It is merely a threat made by the invader (Purple dude).

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
balloon dragon's idea sounds pretty awesome actually.
I could just imagine Mario Vs. Luigi, Zelda Vs. Link, DK Vs. Diddy, Fox Vs. Falco, Peach Vs. Toad, Pika Vs. Jiggs...etc. etc.
Then of course the villains would all be consumed by this darkness (also causing Giga Bowser)...and when someone breaks the rules, the villains show up, along with the Master Hand's puppets, to take care of business.
Only two problems: Samus, Ness, Cpt. Falcon, etc. wouldn't have any allies that they would be forced to fight against...I don't think Samus would mind beating the **** out of Ness.
And the second problem: As awesome as that story would be, it's just too complicated. Smash just doesn't seem like a game that would have such a deep storyline...even though I'd love it.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Very clever and creative. It would make for a good storyline, but theres one flaw. Not everyone who plays smash has played Amazing Mirrors, and Sakurai knows it.

I stick with my theory, no one has broken the rules. It is merely a threat made by the invader (Purple dude).
If you actually played Amazing Mirror, you'd know that the Hands only appeared in the Mirror World of Dreamland and was the second to last boss in the game. Dark Mind was the evil behind it all and perhaps Dark Mind broke the rules by pulling the Hands out of thier dimension. Either way, I glossed over Amazing Mirror as much as I could, but there is no denying that Master & Crazy Hand were in a Kirby game when according to the loose plotline of Smash, they shouldn't have been! Besides, Super Smash Bros is the ultimate Nintendo fanservice, so do you think Master & Crazy Hand being in a Kirby game would escape Sakurai's notice?

"Master & Crazy Hand entered Kirby's Dimension and the REAL Metaknight followed them back" is all you NEED to know related to Amazing Mirror.

But Balloon Fighter's idea IS pretty cool.

Sweetness

Smash Rookie
A place where the wii has been out for years and w
If you actually played Amazing Mirror, you'd know that the Hands only appeared in the Mirror World of Dreamland and was the second to last boss in the game. Dark Mind was the evil behind it all and perhaps Dark Mind broke the rules by pulling the Hands out of thier dimension. Either way, I glossed over Amazing Mirror as much as I could, but there is no denying that Master & Crazy Hand were in a Kirby game when according to the loose plotline of Smash, they shouldn't have been! Besides, Super Smash Bros is the ultimate Nintendo fanservice, so do you think Master & Crazy Hand being in a Kirby game would escape Sakurai's notice?

"Master & Crazy Hand entered Kirby's Dimension and the REAL Metaknight followed them back" is all you NEED to know related to Amazing Mirror.
I have to admit I did not play Amazing Mirror. I have never really gotten into the Kirby franchise. But I was not suggesting that Sakurai had no knowledge such a widely known character was included in Amazing Mirror. It's just a fact that not everyone is a fan of the Kirby franchise and including such a connection between them would be:

1. Incredibly complicated.
2. A let-down to those who are dormant to any knowledge of the Kirby franchise (I barely knew it existed for 3/4th's of my life.)
3. Suggesting that all the Nintendo franchises are connected by dimensions.
4. Making a storyline out of a small cameo.

Also, if Metaknight had followed Master Hand where is Master Hand now? Obviously Metaknight would had to have lost him. But what gave Metaknight his direction to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? What makes Metaknight not being a trophy a serious crime? I thought the rule was to keep fighting until the rounds over. And don't get me wrong, I don't believe Mario and Kirby broke any rules. After every round in Melee they clap for the winner which is clearly not fighting. It's pure sportsmanship. But I digress, this has too many plotholes to be an official storyline for a game of such high standards. But this IS speculation, my idea has just as much chance of being right as yours.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit I did not play Amazing Mirror. I have never really gotten into the Kirby franchise. But I was not suggesting that Sakurai had no knowledge such a widely known character was included in Amazing Mirror. It's just a fact that not everyone is a fan of the Kirby franchise and including such a connection between them would be:

1. Incredibly complicated.
2. A let-down to those who are dormant to any knowledge of the Kirby franchise (I barely knew it existed for 3/4th's of my life.)
3. Suggesting that all the Nintendo franchises are connected by dimensions.
4. Making a storyline out of a small cameo.

Also, if Metaknight had followed Master Hand where is Master Hand now? Obviously Metaknight would had to have lost him. But what gave Metaknight his direction to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? What makes Metaknight not being a trophy a serious crime? I thought the rule was to keep fighting until the rounds over. And don't get me wrong, I don't believe Mario and Kirby broke any rules. After every round in Melee they clap for the winner which is clearly not fighting. It's pure sportsmanship. But I digress, this has too many plotholes to be an official storyline for a game of such high standards. But this IS speculation, my idea has just as much chance of being right as yours.
It has plot holes because I'm not Sakurai, and if there is to be a REAL deep plotline instead of the "Rebel against the creator" storyline of the last two... Sakurai is going to have to reference games from the series in which Smash is based on, referencing 12 separate series is going to get rather complicated. The other Nintendo franchises have plotholes of their own... Why can't the Nintendo franchises be connected by dimension? I mean there are cameos of characters in different series. In fact, the Kirby series has a TON of cameos itself and that was also created by Sakurai.

But yeah this is all speculation, so let's agree to disagree for now.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
For the people who went "against my theory," then let me ask you just one single question:

What is wrong with having a deep storyline that's good?

And, again, I have two points in my argument about The World update: it could either be a good storyline or some lame Classic mode we'd be disappointed about.

Also, for that one person who said things about how Samus and Ness don't have any other "characters," who said Samus can't go on a stealth mission with Snake? Or who said Ness's game couldn't include another character from Earthbound into Brawl?

If you guys want I can make little game scripts of how I think certain characters' introductions could turn out to be.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
It will always end up being a lame classic mode type mode. It's Smash. Do we really need epicness?

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
We don't need the epicness, or the legendary story mode. But wouldn't it be better to have that instead of a spiced-up Classic mode? I don't see why people seem to be against/passive about the whole storyline mode thing.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Story mode would be awesome.It gives the game more depth,and a beefed up story mode certainly can't hurt the game.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'd rather they devote their energies to enhancing the reason that people play Smash in the first place (the multiplayer) than wasting any energy on unnecessarily deep and detailed stories. They can start with what they had in Melee and improve it, but there's absolutely no reason to introduce all these elaborate scenarios that people are coming up with.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Story mode would be awesome.It gives the game more depth,and a beefed up story mode certainly can't hurt the game.
No, but I have heard of some extreem fanbiys saying that it should ALWAYS be classic mode and adventure mod syle.
No story, just smashing.
:psycho:

Fawriel

Smash Master
There could be some downsides to a too deep story.

- Too much emotional attachment to the characters. If there's too much drama, you might be affected by it during normal play. The game is supposed to be tons of fun and mindless brawling, really. If having to beat up Zelda as Link makes you depressed, that can't be a good thing.

- The Final Fantasy syndrome. Games these days tend to be mostly movies while good games like Smash are all about the gameplay. It's a distant worry, but let's not go there.

And most importantly:

- Fantasy. Movies all suck in some way because they take away the need to imagine and think for yourself. The more abstract a story is, the more you have to imagine for yourself. It opens up so many more possibilities.

Naturally, you can't imagine a story to random "I'm Fox and I KO Link. Now I KO myself. Now I KO a Giant Captain Falcon".
There should be an abstract story told with as little text as possible. If any at all. Yet the story should contain some depth, but without forcing itself upon the player.
That, in my opinion, would be amazing.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
I think that most people here are afraid of the change between Melee and Brawl way too much, it seems. . .

When I saw the release date of "December 3rd," I was pretty surprised as to how early it was. I wonder if it's enough time to work upon all the aspects of the game...

Naturally, you can't imagine a story to random "I'm Fox and I KO Link. Now I KO myself. Now I KO a Giant Captain Falcon".
There should be an abstract story told with as little text as possible. If any at all. Yet the story should contain some depth, but without forcing itself upon the player.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I for one always made a story out of smash, since 64. I put them in factions and crap like that and it starred Captain Falcon cause he's amazing and all that... so yeah I'd like to see a neat little story added. The more epic the better.

B_Smash07

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to draw attention to one of the posts on page one :Co-op mode. THAT would be interesting! Extremely hard too, if you're partner isn't coordinated with you. But im guessing if it is co-op the nemies will be tougher and probobly greater in numbers if possible.

However... this could be something far less important than we thought. seeing as it involves only mario and kirby, it would be awkward to work into sotrries for other chars. Perhaps... this is simply part of the opening cutscene?

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
There could be some downsides to a too deep story.

- Too much emotional attachment to the characters. If there's too much drama, you might be affected by it during normal play. The game is supposed to be tons of fun and mindless brawling, really. If having to beat up Zelda as Link makes you depressed, that can't be a good thing.
If that is true,then whoever that person is needs to seek proffesional medical attention.

- The Final Fantasy syndrome. Games these days tend to be mostly movies while good games like Smash are all about the gameplay. It's a distant worry, but let's not go there.

I've yet to see a Nintendo game that has too much cinematics.Except for TP and that stupid "YOU GOT A RED RUPEE!"

And most importantly:

- Fantasy. Movies all suck in some way because they take away the need to imagine and think for yourself. The more abstract a story is, the more you have to imagine for yourself. It opens up so many more possibilities.

There's no doubt that there will be a weird story,and that's what i'm looking foward to.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
You are also forgetting that young kids don't care about epic games. They want to play the game, that's all.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Call me crazy,and I know this is a reach, but just for the heck of speculation sake:

Does anyone think there's any signifigance with the update screen for the game mode being black instead of the usual white?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Young or old, the average Smash player is going to spend 99% of their time in multiplayer mode, so there's really no need for a deep, convoluted story. It's much more likely that they devote most of their efforts to the heart of the game rather than an unnecessarily complex story.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather they devote their energies to enhancing the reason that people play Smash in the first place (the multiplayer) than wasting any energy on unnecessarily deep and detailed stories. They can start with what they had in Melee and improve it, but there's absolutely no reason to introduce all these elaborate scenarios that people are coming up with.
OR, you know, for the extra year they got, they could focus on BOTH of them. I'm sorry, but I do know that not all of their consumers can play multiplayer all of the time, unless they like bots, so why not have some fun in single player? I see no harm in that. The multiplayer is near perfect, especially if we get online. Then, it'll need little improvement. Single player, on the other hand, needs big improvement. Classic is nice, but doing the same thing repeatedly gets kinda old. I like the fact that we might have a slightly deep story. Nothing like final fantasy, but a little story. Maybe something similar to what Soul Caliber 3 did. Similar stories, but they all kinda took their own little twists and turn depending on who you were. And I don't mind a little text here and there. Then again, the speaking might be a little odd. Whatever, maybe characters who can speak will, and those who can't wont. Then again, maybe we won't get any of this. We don't know.

And, for your last line, nobody is asking for ALL of these ideas, just a couple here and there to have a great, simple, but not basic, single player mode.

*PLEASE, to whoever this apply's do not state anything as a fact that has not been updated or said by Nintendo. You can be extremely sure, but do not state things as fact. That makes the internets unhappy.*

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
A complex story won't necessarily make single player better though, and it could possible just make it corny. There is room for improvement... they could flesh out Adventure mode a lot more, add more stages/battles, bring back "Board the Platforms", etc

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Personally I found the story modes of Soul Calibur a bit of a drag really. They could just have the event matches.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Personally I found the story modes of Soul Calibur a bit of a drag really. They could just have the event matches.
That's why I said similar. It had it's faults, I don't want it the same. I was just giving a reference, since that started to go in the right direction.

Also, I don't want a REALLY DEEP FINAL FANTASY kinda story, I just want....just, something like adventure mode, except, the things that happen would be a little different for each character, and the story would make sense. Not just "you flew to a planet, then it exploded".

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Take a look at Paper Mario--it had an epic-enough storyline and kids actually paid attention to it, that's for sure. It was rather kid-themed, but adults enjoyed it too.

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think that weird new character looks like the fruit ****er from penny arcade!? Gd update if a little strange can't wait to see wht this world is all about.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
We've had that mentioned like 4 times already. Quite scary. I will laugh if Penny Arcade does a comic about that.

LuckyNumbah7

Smash Rookie
Call me crazy,and I know this is a reach, but just for the heck of speculation sake:

Does anyone think there's any signifigance with the update screen for the game mode being black instead of the usual white?
I say it's just to enhance the ominous feeling, like adding three dots at the end of a sentence...It would seem a lot less intense if it was a white background. I'm hoping that Sakurai reveals more about the Rulekeeper tomorrow.

Breakfast

Smash Apprentice
A complex story won't necessarily make single player better though, and it could possible just make it corny. There is room for improvement... they could flesh out Adventure mode a lot more, add more stages/battles, bring back "Board the Platforms", etc
YES BOARD THE FREAKIN PLATFORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Young or old, the average Smash player is going to spend 99% of their time in multiplayer mode, so there's really no need for a deep, convoluted story. It's much more likely that they devote most of their efforts to the heart of the game rather than an unnecessarily complex story.
Maybe the reason multiplayer is 99% used is because there was no good one player storymode..........
I for one would love some of the ideas thrown out in this thread.......It would give Single Player a better purpose........
Wouldn't you say?

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
The reason I don't play single player typically is it doesn't help practice. I hate when the cpu opponents have stupid handicaps on like so shines knock them down when they normally wouldn't and such. I wish there was no handicapping on opponents except for "multi man" battles... TEAM YOSHI!!! :o

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
single player needs to be less repetitive. with all these new characters going to be in brawl it needs to be more fun and more engaging.

danroks

Smash Cadet
i dunno if this has been said or noticed (i bet all of u have seen it) but the purple guy has legs so theres a posability that he culd be a playable charecter because all npcs/bosses have no legs and are bosses excluding giga bowser and wireframes
npcs sandbag crazy hand masterhand

Top Bottom