• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "This is the Monado's Power" - Metagame Discussion

I'm really not feeling it for the back slash.

Can I have some advice to use this move at all? I would also like to know how to use the custom moves of back slash.
Back slash is useless in general. You can use it for punishing but you got better options. Back slash leap is also useless. Back slash charge has nice super armor but the front hit-hitsun is very very poor so you should probably ready shield or smash when you're using this custom. If they're at a high %, this custom is fine to use

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Back slash is more useful when your screen is full, as the mayhem usually tends to take the attention off you, meaning you have more chances to land back slash as intended. In FG, BS is kinda useless as berserker01 mentioned, I hardly use it as gap closer for ranged chars, or as a quick fall or finishing move (off land).

Last edited:

Heavy C4

Smash Cadet
Thanks.

Also USmash is perfect for getting pikmin off of shulk. The beam cover shulk body so it can be a great way to negate Olimar damage.

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
I'm really not feeling it for the back slash.

Can I have some advice to use this move at all?
My usage of Back Slash (For Glory 1-on-1).
  • Projectile users (like Link holding his bow, for example) at the very edge with over 100%. With Monado Smash, simply slash down at the front. This method can apply to other opponents.
  • Back throw to Back Slash (Speed at low %, and Buster around 70%). You might have to run forward, if necessary. However, your opponent can easily escape out of this. Good luck grabbing someone in Buster mode...
  • Up throw (Any Monado Arts, but preferably Speed or Buster). After Up-throw, immediately run forward (so that you can do Back Slash properly). In that one moment, analyze what your opponent does in the air. If they fall down (and tried to air dodge) in that same spot, that is a great opportunity! However, the opponent could easily jump out after the Up throw. And even if they fall down in the same spot, there's a small chance they will use shield to block Back Slash. My favorite and most successful method.
  • Users that recover and try to land on stage instead of grabbing the ledge (Robin's Elwind, Lucario's Extreme Speed, etc). They are very vulnerable, but they can still move in the air to trick you (that is, if you're going to use Back Slash).
  • Back Slash while your opponent is in the air. Usually, they'll never see Back Slash used in the air, but it's very easy to miss. In high %, if you're lucky, you can get a flashy KO.
  • In Speed, run past your opponent and immediately use Back Slash. I haven't used this that much, but I did test this once in an online match. However, it might be the least effective one on my list.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Kind of wished Back Slash inflicted a lot of shield damage like in a vein to Jigglypuff's Pound or DK's Headbutt, but what can you do?

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
@ Berserker. Berserker. Okay, after taking much longer than it should have, I finally have all 3 combos tested and completed against the cast.
I'll post the listing in 3 sepreate posts so I don't take up more space than I should have. Anyway, starting off with the Jump N-Air -> F-Air -> Air Slash combo

Jump: N-Air -> F-Air -> Air-Slash (Deals around 24% - 26% & 26% - 28% for Bowser Jr.)
- Knock someone off-stage with this, and you can potentially score a kill. But you’re probably not going to get back on stage unless Shulk is either very high above the stage (I’m talking borderline Magnifying-Glass Zone Boundary), or he’s close enough to reach the edge.

Mario: 52% - 75%
Luigi: 52% - 58% - Luigi just loves to drop out of combos huh?
Peach: 45% - 70%
Bowser: 62% - 82%
Yoshi: 55% - 80%
Rosalina: 50%- 65%
Bowser Jr.: 58% - 85% - You’re going to have to wait a while and be precise, but it’ll be worth it.
Wario: 50% - 70% - Wario sometimes falls out of this combo at 55%…
Mr. Game & Watch: 45% - 65%
DK: 60% - 86%
Diddy: 50% - 60% -Hm… Diddy gets away scott-free with this one.
Link: 55% - 80% - You definitely want to be as close as possible with this one.
Zelda: 40% - 75%
Shiek:45% - 70%
Gannondorf: 53% - 85%
Toon Link: 48% - 75%
Samus: 60% - 85% - You want to close as possible with Samus.
ZSS: 50% - 70% - Looks like ZSS took some lessons from Diddy to avoid this combo.
Pit: 50% - 80%
Palutena: 50% - 75%
Marth: 50% - 85% - Gezz… This is tougher to land compared to others.
Ike: 50% - 90%
Robin: 50% - 80%
Kirby: 35% - 70%
King Dedede: 70% - 95%
Meta Knight: 50% - 80%
Little Mac: 45% - 75%
Fox: 50% - 75%
Falco: 55% - 70%
Pikachu: 45% - 75%
Charizard: 50% - 85% - Doing this at 80% is pretty tough since you need to be close as possible to Charizard.

Lucario: 52% - 80% - Huh… I don’t see that many combos possible at a precent that can be divided by an even number. (Usually it can be divided by 5 / 10 / 25 / etc….)

Jigglypuff: 35% - 60% - I’m not sure if Jigglypuff got buffed in Smash 4 or not…
Greninja: 48% - 75%
Duck Hunt: 42% - 75%
Rob: 50% - 85%
Ness: 50% - 80%
Capitan Falcon: 50% - 85%

Villager: 45% - 80% - The Villager is a little weird with this combo. At 60% - 70%, you may have to delay the 2nd Air Slash strike, and at 70%+ you want to release the 2nd strike immediately.

Olimar/ Alph: 40% - 70% - 30% range to work with. We might be able to pull off this combo twice on Olimar / Alph if you can pull it off at 40%.

Wii Fit Trainer: 45% - 80%
Dr. Mario: 50% - 80%
Dark Pit: 50% - 80%
Lucina: 45% - 85%
Shulk (Vanilla): 45% - 90% (!) - Wow… I didn’t expect to see this range with Shulk himself. Anyway, you’re going to have to work for the 80% - 90%, but it’s possbile and rewarding if you can land it.

- Punish Shulk with Air Slash if he’s trying to activate an art mid-combo.

Pac-Man: 45% - 85% - You might need to double jump in order to catch Pac-Man at 80% & 85% with Air Slash.

MegaMan: 50% - 55% & 65% - 85% - For some odd reason, I couldn’t connect this combo when MegaMan was at 60% - 64%. I’m not sure if that a result of human error, or if that’s a thing in the game. (More than likely my fault.)

Sonic: 50% - 85% - 85% is possible, but very finicky at times.

Part 2 out 3 Combo listing points:

Vanilla/ Neutral Shulk: N-Air -> F-Smash: (Deals around 24 % - 25% )
- You can possibly extend this and N-Air -> F-Tilt combo when Jump Art is active.

- Even with the patch, there's always a chance the F-Smash will cause the oppnent to pop-out, so take this combo as a suggestion if an opportunity presents itself.

Mario: 8% - 37%
Luigi: 12% - 30%
Peach: 15% - 42%
Bowser: 15% - 55%
Yoshi: 18% - 45%
Rosalina: N/A - Rosalina keeps popping out of the F-Smash even if Shulk angles it up or down… It’s probably human error on my part, but I haven’t been able to land the F-Smash at any percent following the N-Air.

Bowser Jr.: 13% - 45% - Can deal 21% - 29% depending on where you hit Bowser Jr.
Wario: 18% - 55%
Mr. Game & Watch: 10% - 35%
Donkey Kong: 15% - 55%
Diddy Kong: 15% - 50% - Weird Arc when hit helps landing the F-Smash.
Link: 15% - 50%
Zelda: 30% - 40% - Zelda keep popping out of this combo until I hit 30%… I’m not sure if this is real or if I’m just messing up…
Shiek: 10% - 45% - Be sure to tilt the F-Smash up if to land this combo at 30% and above.
Gannondorf: 5% - 50% - Up tilts are needed at 40%+
Toon Link: 12% - 42% - You’re going to want to stay close as possible, and always up-tilt the F-Smash.
Samus: 10% - 40%
ZSS: 10% - 45%
Pit: 12% - 55%
Palutena:12% - 35% - Despite being taller, she gets out of this earlier...
Marth: 15% - 45%
Ike: 15% - 55%
Robin: 10% - 50%
Kirby: 8% - 35%
King Dedede: 8% - 65%
Meta Knight: 15% - 45%
Little Mac: 15% - 55%
Fox: 15% - 45%
Falco: 15% - 55%
Pikachu: 8% - 45%
Charizard:15% - 50%
Lucario: 15% - 50% - Lucario can sometimes pop out of the F-Smash at 40%+ even with the patch. So treat this combo with caution.

Jigglypuff: N/A - You’re not seeing things, this combo is not possible against Jigglypuff, even with the F-Smash Patch or with Buster Art Equipped… Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, because I want a tool against Jigglypuff as Shulk.

Greninja: 8% - 50%
Duck Hunt: 10% - 55% - Landing this at 55% is tough, but do-able.
Rob: 18% - 60%
Ness: 15% - 35%
Capitan Falcon: 10% - 55%
Villager: 12% - 40%
Olimar / Alph: 15% - 35%
Wii Fit Trainer: 12% - 35% - Up-Tilt the F-Smash as much as you can in this combo, or you’re going to miss.
Dr. Mario: 15% - 45%
Dark Pit: 18% - 50%
Lucina: 18% - 50%
Shulk (Vanilla): 15% - 45% - Shulk can pop-out of this combo at 35%+ when trying to connect the F-Smash. So watch out for that. (Maybe we can retaliate via Shield-Grab / Vision?)

Pac-Man: 15% - 42% - Try sticking to up-tilted version of F-Smash with Pac-Man to ensure he doesn’t escape.
MegaMan: 15% - 60%
Sonic: 12% - 45% - Up-Tilted F-Smashes are helpful starting at 35%.

Part 3 of 3 of the Combo Listings

N-Air -> F-Tilt: (Deals around 18% - 20%)

Mario: 2% - 27%
Luigi: 12% - 35% - Odd percentage range is odd…
Peach: 0% - 35%
Bowser: 5% - 48%
Yoshi: 5% - 40%
Rosalina: 0% - 30% - Would be higher if Shulk could angle his F-tilt…
Bowser Jr.: 5% - 45% - Can deal anywhere from 14 - 25% depending on where you hit Bowser Jr.
Wario: 5% - 55%
Mr. Game & Watch: 0% - 25%
Donkey Kong: 5% - 55%
Diddy Kong: 0% - 40% - Diddy goes in a weird arc with hit with N-Air at 35%, so you might miss if you don’t adjust the timing for the F-Tilt.

Link: 5% - 50% - You’re going to want to move as close as you can when hitting Link with the N-Air.
Zelda: 0% - 35%
Shiek: 0% - 35%
Gannondorf: 5% - 50%
Toon Link: 5% - 35%
Samus: 5% - 20%
ZSS: 0% - 35%
Pit: 5% - 45%
Palutena: 0% - 35%
Marth: 2% - 35%
Ike: 2% - 45%
Robin: 5% - 40%
Kirby: 5% - 30%
King Dedede: 2% - 55%
Meta Knight: 0% - 40%
Little Mac: 0% - 50% - A lot of room to work with here. You might need to move towards Mac to land the F-Tilt at 35%+
Fox: 5% - 50% - You may have to move closer to Fox in order to land the F-Tilt at 35%+
Falco: 5% - 45%
Pikachu: 0% - 45%
Charizard: 3% - 45%
Lucario: 5% - 45%

Jigglypuff: 0% - 10% - I’m not joking when I said doing combos against floaty light weights as Shulk is evil… This is the best you can get assuming Jigglypuff doesn’t move out the way when F-Titt comes out…

Greninja: 0% - 45%
Duck Hunt: 0% - 50%
Rob: 5% - 50% - Move in as close as you can with the N-Air in order to land this at 45%
Ness: 0% - 35%
Capitan Falcon: 2% - 50%
Villager: 0% - 35%
Olimar / Alph: 0% - 35%
Wii Fit Trainer: 0% - 35%
Dr. Mario: 2% - 45%
Dark Pit: 0% - 50%
Lucina: 0% - 45%
Shulk (Vanilla): 2% - 45% - Another tool we can use in a Shulk doubles match. I can only imagine what would happen if Shulk has an art active. (Shield = More range & Jump/Buster/Smash - Less Range due to knock-back adjustments?)

Pac-Man: 0% - 45% - Always love having big damage range to work with here.
MegaMan: 5% - 50%
Sonic: 0% - 35%

Anyway, that's all I got. I had a good time collecting data again and helping out with the thread. I will say however, I should treat this data process just like a research assignment: Know you're going to take a while doing this, and plan accordingly. Hope everyone has a good time during the holidays.

- @ Berserker. Berserker. : Do we have a combo thread of sorts already? Just thought I asked since I'm wondering what we could do with all this combo data?

- Also, who is that girl in your profile picture? She looks familiar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Stupid Question - Probably being ask before but too lazy to search the thread for it. Can Shulk avoid/counter Little Mac's KO Punch by using any of the Vision?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Stupid Question - Probably being ask before but too lazy to search the thread for it. Can Shulk avoid/counter Little Mac's KO Punch by using any of the Vision?
Nope, Shulk cannot. Little Mac's KO Punch cannot be countered & is unblockable. But speaking of this question, @Hokori or @ Berserker. Berserker. I think that should be a listed FAQ for the Shulk Q & A Thread.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Nope, Shulk cannot. Little Mac's KO Punch cannot be countered & is unblockable. But speaking of this question, @Hokori or @ Berserker. Berserker. I think that should be a listed FAQ for the Shulk Q & A Thread.
So any move that is considered "unblockable" cannot be counter? Alright. Thank you.

Edit: I did not know there was a FAQ thread. I will check out that thread before asking a question.

Last edited:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
KO punch is unblockable and uncounterable on the ground.
However, it is counterable in the air. (though no sane Mac would do that)

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So any move that is considered "unblockable" cannot be counter? Alright. Thank you.

Edit: I did not know there was a FAQ thread. I will check out that thread before asking a question.
NP it happens. And this question has been brought up a couple of times that I've noticed so it could warrant it's own question and answer in the Shulk FAQs.

Last edited:
Anyway, that's all I got. I had a good time collecting data again and helping out with the thread. I will say however, I should treat this data process just like a research assignment: Know you're going to take a while doing this, and plan accordingly. Hope everyone has a good time during the holidays.

- @ Berserker. Berserker. : Do we have a combo thread of sorts already? Just thought I asked since I'm wondering what we could do with all this combo data?

- Also, who is that girl in your profile picture? She looks familiar.
Nah. The combos will stay in this thread. I guess, for now.

Also, Agnes Oblige

One more thing, I think I'll merge those posts for you if that's fine. Haha

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
By the way, something that you should mention in the OP is that in Smash U, the Monado Art cycle will skip over anything in cooldown, so you might need to use the thing by the damage display instead of your muscle memory (I've had many times where I wanted to check if Shield was ready or not and accidentally switched to Buster)

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Nah. The combos will stay in this thread. I guess, for now.

Also, Agnes Oblige

One more thing, I think I'll merge those posts for you if that's fine. Haha
Go right ahead. I thought it'd take up too much space on the thread. As for the combos, we can figure something out if you'd like. There's nothing wrong with having them here right now.

- No wonder she looked familiar. It's been a while since I've seen anything related to Bravely Default. Can't wait for Bravely Second. I probably should've guess that after seeing Yukiko as your Profile Pic. a while back.

Last edited:
I'll put the combos in my OP

Edit: Done

I'm gonna try out pummeling the hell out of shield Shulk just to see which attacks are unsafe. I'll do it with different characters, blah, blah.... When I'm free. Which I'm not. I'll probably be on it 2 weeks from now

Alright, I might need a thread solely for this art.

Last edited:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Has anybody had it when Back Slash Charge doesn't do the slide at the end?

Maybe its just a Palutena thing with her windboxes.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Has anybody had it when Back Slash Charge doesn't do the slide at the end?

Maybe its just a Palutena thing with her windboxes.
It's most definitely has to do with the wind-boxes. I've had weird results with BSC against other windboxes as well.

Heavy C4

Smash Cadet
you can't counter mac ko punch but you can useh te i-frames of the counter to dodge mac ko punch.

****ing N-airs are hard to do with short jump. I think that the up back part of the monado doesn't do jack ****.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I've been testing perfect pivoting with Shulk, and I think it gives us a much more reliable kill option: MSmash ftilt. You can extend the range of ftilt by perfect pivoting towards the opponent and then using ftilt, which has less lag then fsmash. MSpeed Ppivots are insane as well. It gives us amazing spacing options with utilt for aerial opponents and dtilt to stop grounded approaches. Either tilt can be used to start combos too.

Have you guys been incorporating Ppivots with Shulk yet? If you have, please tell. He seems to have some potential using them with MSpeed and I'd like to test some more.

I've been landing some of my KO's so far with Smash U-tilt and this is the 3DS version we're talking about. I usually just catch enemies off in mid-air using U-tilt in Smash art which kills them at a surprisingly low percent. By low, I meant like somewhere around ~115%. Has anyone noticed U-tilt's surprisingly decent KO power in Smash?

Also, I can't do Perfect Pivoting that well on the circle pad. Pretty sure that pivot f-smash and pivot f-tilt (and mostly speed) come into mind when using the technique but as far as applications go, I don't know that much for now. Need more hands-on time with it

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I substitute the up smash for the up tilt whenever I'm using Smash. It usually KO's at like 120% on average, so it's a fine substitute in that situation.

I updated the frame data and labeled the unknown substates. The ones with the [?] are the specials that I weren't sure about

Also updated the Jump section a bit

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
By the way, something that you should mention in the OP is that in Smash U, the Monado Art cycle will skip over anything in cooldown, so you might need to use the thing by the damage display instead of your muscle memory (I've had many times where I wanted to check if Shield was ready or not and accidentally switched to Buster)
I think you're just pressing too many times, definitely doesn't do that for me.

Update on @ Masonomace Masonomace 's OP. Finished the damage chart (Not the hyper Monado damagechart). Please notify Masonomace or I if there's a correction

Edit: Also updated the Hyper Monado Arts data chart

Edit (2): Edited a lot of things but it's only minor stuff

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Studying the frame data- did not know mighty air slash has an 80° angle on the second hit. That makes it better than I thought.

I decided to rank moves by the time before the first hitbox appears using the frame data (and the post about vision a few pages ago). I stop at 20 frames.
Jab1: 5.0
Vision: 6.0 (activation)
Grab: 7.0
Dash Grab: 9.0
U-Tilt: 9.9
D-tilt: 10.0
Air Slash: 10.0
Pivot Grab: 10.0
F-tilt: 12.0
Nair: 13.0 (behind)
F-Smash: 14.0
Fair: 14.0 (top of swing)
Uair: 14.0 (initial, weak hit)
Dair: 14.0 (initial, weak hit)
Dash Attack: 15.0
U-Smash: 18.0 (initial hit, not beam hit)
Bair: 18.0
D-Smash: 18.0 (slower in actuality)
Final Smash: 20.0 (however, has invincibility right away and slows time)

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Studying the frame data- did not know mighty air slash has an 80° angle on the second hit. That makes it better than I thought.

I decided to rank moves by the time before the first hitbox appears using the frame data (and the post about vision a few pages ago). I stop at 20 frames.
Jab1: 5.0
Vision: 6.0 (activation)
Grab: 7.0
Dash Grab: 9.0
U-Tilt: 9.9
D-tilt: 10.0
Air Slash: 10.0
Pivot Grab: 10.0
F-tilt: 12.0
Nair: 13.0 (behind)
F-Smash: 14.0
Fair: 14.0 (top of swing)
Uair: 14.0 (initial, weak hit)
Dair: 14.0 (initial, weak hit)
Dash Attack: 15.0
U-Smash: 18.0 (initial hit, not beam hit)
D-Smash: 18.0 (slower in actuality)
Final Smash: 20.0 (however, has invincibility right away and slows time)
9.9 frames...? Gonna guess that should say 9.0, although I could be wrong. Fractions of a frame just seems weird though

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
9.9 frames...? Gonna guess that should say 9.0, although I could be wrong. Fractions of a frame just seems weird though
That's what the paste bin says so I don't know
It is weird, but the pastebin was not typed out so it can't be a typo. Anyways, it's 1/600th of a second away from 10.0 frames, so we might as well consider it as so. I've gone in game and compared it to the Dtilt, and in function they both are the same. If the two moves are used against each other at the same time, both Shulks will be hurt.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
What do you do if you know your opponent is going to air dodge your Fair if you meet them offstage?

What do you do if you know your opponent is going to air dodge your Fair if you meet them offstage?
Bruh don't double post

If your opponent knows, then just don't do anything, or try to fake out the f-air and see if they bite the bait, or use b-air in case they air dodge too early, or you can edgeguard them with f-smash if you want but that doesn't work all the time

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
I'd say try to time the f-air and see what the opponent does.
Air-Dodge: Try to time it so they suffer from landing lag.
Up-B: Double Jump (Or Full Jump in Jump Art) to hit them back. Sometimes, you might have to respect it as berserker01 said and just let them back in so you can try to gain an advantage.

Another Idea would be to use the Monado Art Lag Cancel with the F-Air and any Monado Art, but that's going to require a lot of timing on both you and your opponent. (Not to mention the anticipation and everything.)

Was posted back by SFLR but anyway, I'll throw this out... Perfect pivots are great for Shulk. Especially in speed. Everyone must apply this tech into their gameplan

Last edited:

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. Perfect Pivot Up-Tilt is amazing and gives it some horizontal range. Slap on Speed and you got a nice attack while making a get-away.

Up-Tilt just gets better every day.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Anyone else find it easier to perfect pivot when initially going left than going right? It's the flicking part that gets me when going in that direction. Going left isn't actually that hard for me anymore.
Bruh don't double post

If your opponent knows, then just don't do anything, or try to fake out the f-air and see if they bite the bait, or use b-air in case they air dodge too early, or you can edgeguard them with f-smash if you want but that doesn't work all the time
In the case they do take the bait, what do you do? Would you use double jump to jump back while doing a retreating Fair? Oh, for reference, the character I was facing that kept doing the air dodges was Lucina. Later in the match, the person went to Shulk and was almost even matched with me, explaining why the person knew when I was going to Fair all the time.

Also, idk if this is just for glory lag causing this, but U-throw -> U-tilt hasn't been working to anyone that knows about it. It seems they always jump out of it. I suppose air slash might be better than U-tilt if I'm expecting people to do this.

Last edited:
Anyone else find it easier to perfect pivot when initially going left than going right? It's the flicking part that gets me when going in that direction. Going left isn't actually that hard for me anymore.

In the case they do take the bait, what do you do? Would you use double jump to jump back while doing a retreating Fair? Oh, for reference, the character I was facing that kept doing the air dodges was Lucina. Later in the match, the person went to Shulk and was almost even matched with me, explaining why the person knew when I was going to Fair all the time.

Also, idk if this is just for glory lag causing this, but U-throw -> U-tilt hasn't been working to anyone that knows about it. It seems they always jump out of it. I suppose air slash might be better than U-tilt if I'm expecting people to do this.
I don't use U-throw -> U-tilt a lot so I'm not really sure. I think they can jump out of it. I only use it exclusively in buster but yet again, I'm not sure. And yeah, retreating Fair when they take the bait.

Air slash for KO'ing is really good. Use this more out of shield, guys

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I've also been finding uthrow to utilt to not work as well anymore unless it's at low percents with Buster, so I recommend just uthrow, wait for the air dodge or jump away, and then punish from there. If you know your opponent air dodges a lot, uthrow and wait for the air dodge, then charge up a smash where they're going to land.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Shulk pivot grab spike on Little Mac!

The pivot spike needs more testing, I only tested a handful of characters it didnt work on, and a handful of stages and so far it only works on omega BF and Piotwings.
Alright so I did some testing for this and came up across some interesting things. Here's my breakdown of it:

I went through the entire cast (except the Miis) and only on battlefield in Speed mode and found out that it works on Little Mac and Falco as shown in the video. However it gave an interesting effect on GnW and Peach where they bounced off to the side instead of getting spiked. Now I went back and tested on these 4 with varying percentages and in Vanilla, Buster, and Smash mode since those are all different knockbacks. I didn't record everything but here's a quick rundown of what I found on each.

Notes for :4littlemac::
-Spikes in Vanilla mode
-In Buster and Smash, it acts differently depending on percentages.
-In Buster, it doesn't spike them until around 40% or so. Otherwise Little Mac hits the side of the stage then appears in front of you, primed for a follow up
-In Smash, it'll spike up until 20%, at 30% or so it'll still spike but the effect looks different. I'm not sure how to explain it since it's late and I'm tired

:4falco::
-Spikes in Vanilla mode
-Doesn't spike in Buster until around 40% or so. However, attempting to do this puts him back in front of you which allows you to up tilt > down throw repeatedly until you get into the percent where it does spike. Not sure if this will work on a human but it looks pretty good in training

:4peach::
-Does not work in vanilla, they fly away from the stage
-In Buster, it places Peach in front of you to combo but spikes at 40%

:4gaw::
-Modes and percents don't seem to matter. He will not get spiked but the follow up options are different compared to different characters depending on if he gets put back in front of you or is knocked slightly off stage.

I might make a video later showing the Falco combo I had in mind. Also, I didn't test all the modes on the whole cast so if someone wants to do that, be my guest.

You guys remember that N-air -> F-air -> Air slash combo in jump? You can replace air slash with f-air if you want

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Just making sure of myself, but is this accounting for the start-up hit in front of Shulk? Because when you slow down the move to 1/4x in Training Mode you notice the Beam is shooting out in front of Shulk
I've thrown out F-air relatively early if they even come close to F-air's Beam tipper area, & I'd drift backwards for the front-facing hit of B-air to connect (which has worked before & it was great due to the knockback angle they're launched at, bvery gimp-worthy), or I continue drifting forward with the F-air & B-air immediately which usually catches them in a frame trap.

Top Bottom