• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thinking Like a 2011 Marth

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Zoning > Spacing

>>" Spacing - Making sure your attacks are at their maximum effective distance.
----- Zoning - Making sure you have more available options at any given moment than your opponent. If you can reach them and they cannot reach you, that is a perfect zone. Your goal is to stay within these zones.

Theres your difference, you can technically do both. And for Marth, with the lack of a projectile, his best zone is perfect spacing on his longest ranged moves."<< -SUSA

Example of Zoning's Uses:

:ike:
When playing Ike you want tipper range but that's not only because it's for tippers but because it's INSIDE HIS FAIR RANGE where he can't just space you out. If you can't get within his Fair range, you can just walk up and shield it to slowly drive him away from the middle of the stage into eventually a dead end next to the ledge. From there he can't do retreating fairs, and he has lost the option.
You should not get too close to Ike, for he has not only the speed (frame 3 jab beats your frame 4 side-B), but he also has a higher reward than you if his jab lands (jab->jab->**** the hell out of whatever you do).

The distances at which your opponent has less strong options than you are to be maintained , The rest avoided.

In considering the distances, include in your mind (to be perfect) frame data involved, range involved, and risk/reward based on possible followups & situations. This is a lot to consider, but basically if the opponent has a quicker option that will beat yours in a range, don't be there. If an opponent has a stronger setup move than you do at a certain range, watch out for it.

Where your opponent is on the stage determines how many options he has position-wise
If he has like two feet of stage he's in trouble unless you let him behind you

- Walking up to the "zone" you want to maintain relative to an opponent
Sound like a "too slow" method? Perhaps. But when you walk you can Shield, Tilt, Turn Around and Back Away
Now say you dashed to that position BECAUSE YOU GOT NO TIME TO LOSE. Well, you lost all those options. Instead, you can sulk "BS" as your dash attack is a too committed, laggy attack, or because your dash animation didn't allow you to shield/powershield.

- There's such a thing as foxtrotting. And there's pivots that can be made while foxtrotting with Marth
So I just said dashing is stupid because you can't shield. Well...it's faster than walking, and if your opponent is aerial and defenseless, you want to be as on top of your reaction speed as possible in following that meal (Nothing tastier than a Snake in the air). Tapping the movement stick once will foxtrot. Doing a foxtrot, then tapping forward&back quickly (think foxtrot into a dashdance) will allow you to pivot while still foxtrotting Couple these movement abilities and you have yourself in a standing position under your opponent's anticipated landing spot.

Shorthop Game > Fair game

- Empty Hop to provide yourself the option to fair, not to necessarily fair. - Pierce7d
Once in a while you may just land and grab/sideB the opponent, and once in a while you may hop over to the behind of the opponent and work from there. Overall, you want to focus on being able to fair in case the opponent attempts to hit you out of the air, and on pressuring the opponent to provoke a response you can punish.

- Nair > fair for aerial opponents
Reasons: Better followups, makes airdodging less safe, reaches farther horizontally

- Nair > Fair for opponents with heads that may be shieldpoked (for obvious reasons)

- First hit Nair combos into Tilts/Smashes
Try it out!, but it's the least important point on this post and you cancel the 2nd hit by landing

-Tippered Nair is an amazing kill move
If you don't utilize it your kill moves will be far more predictable. Combine this with the fact that it can shieldpoke and....at higher percents when opponents shield too much...

- Fairing a lot, as well as ANY OTHER REPETITIVE BEHAVIOR is just asking to be punished
If an opponent rolls behind you when you fair, or gets under you and punishes, you are screwed, and it's your fault.

Timing is IMPORTANT

- Just like you wouldn't want to attack an opponent at where he was 2 minutes ago, you don't want to attack where he was 2 seconds ago .
Nor where he will be if he's not there yet. Seems simple, but frustrated players do it a lot.

- Airdodges in occur when either
1) the opponent likes to airdodge at a certain height off the ground (many people think like "Hey I'll airdodge here and DI there)
2) the opponent feels in danger (usually by your proximity)
*Therefore, bait the airdodge (by just being next to them in the air) before you attack, don't just attack when they can airdodge past you and take the stage
*Note: Do not bait the airdodge unsafely (MK has a Dair...you can't just stay in that hitbox and expect an airdodge)

- Fight in the PRESENT - don't do what would have worked in a previous situation when it's over, and don't mull over things, whatever happens, just take note, don't take strife

- Laugh at Noobs - OUT LOUD (but seriously, don't actually because they're people too)
Many people attack or defend with exactly the same timing every time (attack..wait..attack..wait or OH-NO-spotdodge....retaliate or hold-shield........sulk....keep-holding-shield)
Those are nervous habits or "I don't know what to do reactions". **** them, as hard as possible. They're present even (much less often though) at high level play.

- Buffering mash inputs will allow you to grab break earlier (Ice Climbers!), and Buffering SDI will allow you to survive things like anticipated spikes (SDI into wall and tech or land on stage)

Punishes need to be capitalized on and avoided

- Landing close to an opponent puts you in a position where you are LOSING and will get grabbed/hit if they're decent.
Try a retreating fair once in a while! It is safer on shield. It is probably the safest landing. It is a C-C-COMBO BREAKER on most followups (*Note: Metaknight's Dthrow)

- Airdodging in on a good opponent means being baited into a BIGGER **** than you would have succumbed to if you didn't airdodge

- There's buffering (performing an action, then buttoning commands for another action in the ending of it to move as fast as possible)
If you're not doing it in a situation where the opponent is doing it...you're probably BEHIND. This is why pros don't just stand around and react to things, yet win because they are capable of watching their opponents' individual styles.

- Getting up from the ledge in a certain way needs a REASON other than "felt like that one was safest"
Example1: Using normal get up invincibility frames to get through an attack that was thrown out and punish the opponent
Example2: Rolling from ledge because the opponent expects a normal get up and wants to punish it specifically
Example3: Jumping from ledge because the opponent is FAR AWAY AND YOU WOULD NEVER JUMP FROM LEDGE IF THE OPPONENT COULD SIMPLY STAND THERE AND BE BENEATH MARTH WHICH MEANS DEATH FROM BELOW
(*Note: Marth has terrible options for dealing with opponents below him)

Using your Shield for Offense

- Walking shield is one of the strongest options for approach
Moving in slowly can deceive an opponent into thinking he can batter your shield some more, allowing you to sneak in a punish on the next whiff. Dashes compromise your ability to shield.

- Up-B is the safest out of shield option because the startup has invincibility
The most common knowledge in Marth's metagame, but only a starting point for OoS options.

- Full Hop D-air out of shield is a great GTFO move that may tipper on opponents behind you

- Shorthopped U-air out of shield can be done by tilting the control stick up and jumping then pressing A
This is one of the best moves for followups in juggling the opponent.

- Upsmash out of shield works great on moves that put the opponent near you and lagged
It suffices as a vertical kill move or at least a startup for combos. It's far better than the other option OoS as a kill move (backwards Up-B).

- Shield-Dropping to a tilt or smash attack should never be overlooked as an option
Sure it's cool to do an out of shield move, but if you can upsmash out of shield you probably can shieldrop to a dsmash.

- Power shields are also very important
Master the art of powershielding on purpose. And develop a habit for doing a strong damage racker or kill move when you powershield an opponent's attack.

when I play Marth it feels like the movement advantage I gain is off immediately moving and/or doing something on landing

Funny Techniques[/B

- Land facing backwards to an opponent, then craq-walk into him and punish if he moved toward you

Good Points Made by Posters:
"When I play Marth it feels like the movement advantage I gain is off immediately moving and/or doing something on landing" - JunK
It is important to learn buffering, especially things off of landing or turning around for Marth. Learn when is the earliest you can do a turn around grab or side-B when landing for instance. It'll save you a lot of trouble from opponents behind you.

That's all for now.

>> Thanks to Havok's blog, Junk's mentorship, MikeHaze's unorthodox techniques, Pierce7D's monster posts, Steel's threads, and Cen-Cal Smash for continuing to help me improve and realize these key aspects of play.

Marth isn't nearly as represented at top level play as he should be.

All thoughts and editing suggestions are welcome.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
It seems like this is just doing the opposite of what a normal marth does. I call it

The Anti-Metagame Marth.

It almost seems like the only big difference is Zoning>Spacing.

Although Im glad these little things have been brought up because a metagame is only doing the effective counter to radically change the standing of its user.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I'm hoping this thread helps out all the Marths I see doing what is "orthodox" and getting destroyed by people who know how to handle fair.
Even Neo gets punished for Fairing too much.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
i cant stand it when a marth short hop double fairs lol

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I think my favorite thing to hear is when kids tell me:" Marth is too easy and for noobs. All you have to do is Short Hop Double Fair and all your answers are solved."

After which I respond with: "Yeah, I used to tell people who said that they were stupid; Now I just accept the fact that I suck and I have to take off Marth's tiara to beat my opponents."

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Example: When playing the matchup of Marth v. Fox, at 0% do you PREFER tipper range? No! It's ONE safe range you use to get to the BETTER safe range: Marth's grab range. From there you can get >40% or a gimp with fthrow/dthrow true combos.
I think that you would prefer tipper range. Even though you might be able to get throw combo's on Fox at 0%, that zone itself isn't Marth's safest, and you are taking unnecessary risks by being at that distance. Fox will probably be wary of the grab too, and it will be rather hard getting it without them messing up first. It's better to play your normal spacing/zoning game (for Marth they pretty much are interchangeable imo), and just take the opportunity if it arises.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Fixed that portion. What else should we expand/edit?

This is an ongoing project, so "****ing up" will be avoided, but if I get no input we have nothing to work with but my own opinions.

SuSa

Banned via Administration

Spacing - Making sure your attacks are at their maximum effective distance.

Zoning - Making sure you have more available options at any given moment than your opponent. If you can reach them and they cannot reach you, that is a perfect zone. Your goal is to stay within these zones.

Theres your difference, you can technically do both. And for Marth, with the lack of a projectile, his best zone is perfect spacing on his longest ranged moves.
:093:

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
And on that note, why wouldn't being in grab range of Fox be better zoning for Marth?
Of course you can't fish for grab, but when in that range wouldn't you want to capitalize upon it immediately and maintain the zone?

Marth: jab,grab,sideb,upb
Fox: worse grab,bad jab,turn-around uptilt

At low % I don't see why arguing for the close-range zoning would be a bad idea. As long as you SDI uptilts and do throw combos off the grab or go for a gimp off of side B

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Update: Ike is the only example now, and some more explicit detail was included

Fox has quicker options that are less far-reaching, and a higher risk than reward based on followups, but the example is disputed.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Does it cancel into grab or any other good followups?
Does it have good range?

It is very fast.

Player-3

Smash Hero
it does cancel into grab. and shine

(bar SDI but ... with SDI nothing in the game will ever connect lmfao except nado)

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Well reactionary SDI should be accounted for, but SDI on fox's jab probably won't happen.

Does anyone else have notes to add to this:
Perhaps on how to think appropriately or What is a common mistake you notice Marths make?

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
you can SDi in advance if u know you're going to get punished, same way u can buffer mash inputs if you know you're getting grabbed

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I'll update the name of the discussion to that in a couple months.
I'm hoping it stands as an arrogant title so that people willing to criticize come knockin.
I want to rephrase everything to suit everyone's understanding and that's the best way to do so.
And to get somewhere in terms of "higher level thinking" defined (for Marth).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This read is **** awesome. Made me realize many big mistakes I have been doing. This might improve my skill a lot when I apply this to my play. Thanks for that read. Marth boards have among the best threads in the entire SWF. Everyone should read them.

bigkoose

Smash Cadet
Good idears, i really have to start working empty SHs into my game and break the habit of mashing fair every time im in the air.

Thanks!

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Here's how you should think of it.

When you jump, you shouldn't think, "I'm going to Fair" or "I'm not going to Fair"

You jump, and then Fair if necessary, or at random. Obviously if it's time to hit the opponent, you Fair. Otherwise, you jump simply to present yourself with the option of Fair, and then Fair or not sporadically so that the opponent cannot predict your wall.

If you never Fair, they will realize your wall is false, and have more room to space, although you will always be able to execute another option.

If you always Fair, you define moments where you will have lag.

∫unk

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but when I play Marth it feels like the movement advantage I gain is off immediately moving and/or doing something on landing (while the opponent may not always, giving them more lag in that time open to things like... grabs).

Of course this is a given at high level play, so then frames becomes really important as well as reading and adjusting ability.

Internally understanding lag, fastfall timing... everything you can is crucial, which just comes with a lot of hours into your character in tournaments, smashfests, and training mode.

Less time thinking about what's going on because you're used to the situation leads to more time thinking about whatever you need to gain an advantage in the matchup.

bigkoose

Smash Cadet
Here's how you should think of it.

When you jump, you shouldn't think, "I'm going to Fair" or "I'm not going to Fair"

You jump, and then Fair if necessary, or at random. Obviously if it's time to hit the opponent, you Fair. Otherwise, you jump simply to present yourself with the option of Fair, and then Fair or not sporadically so that the opponent cannot predict your wall.

If you never Fair, they will realize your wall is false, and have more room to space, although you will always be able to execute another option.

If you always Fair, you define moments where you will have lag.

In all seriousness though, that makes a lot of sense. Ty!

Top Bottom