• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you might not know about Melee

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I wanted to use this as a remake for this thread

Melee is an incredibly complicated game with an absurd amount of mechanical nuances. Most of these little details wouldn't be mentioned on an introductory thread on basic ATs and fundamentals, but they're great to know.

Feel free to contribute anything you want to this thread, and I will try to compile everything in the OP

I am going to try to add some actual good, solid advice in this thread too. I don't want it to JUST be a list of gimmicks and mechanics. There's a lot of fundamentals that people don't know about/think about either.

I plan on maintaining the OP with snippets from the thread. If I'm feeling not-lazy, I may even add a note about why these little bits and pieces can be important.

If you see something in red, then it's something that I added to the quote.

[collapse="Important/common stuff"]
idea taken from a thread about another game

what are simple aspects of the game or techniques that usually aren't written in guides or tutorials, but people are assumed to know

i'll start with an example

if fox shines you in the air and you touch the ground, all hitstun from the shine is canceled and you can dash/shield/roll etc. this doesn't apply to characters that fall from shine (fox, falco, y. link etc)

this means that nair->shine on the heavier characters (that don't get knocked down by shine, you're at large risk of giving them a free punish on you
For anybody who has had trouble with ledgehopping, you probably feel like your error comes from one of three things:

1) Hitting jump before you actually hit down, causing you to the laggier and longer ledge-jump (aka the Tournament Winner).

2) Hitting down or back in that very brief frame or two RIGHT as you grab the edge, where you can't actually input anything. Then you hit forward, or jump, or A, or something, and you get the second input in your sequence without letting go. I.e., trying to drop and shine somebody while keeping ledge invincibility, then doing a get-up attack because it doesn't register your down input.

3) Hitting too far forward as you try and roll the joystick from down to forward, so you just stand up. You'll see this happen with attempted ledge wavelands.

But! I noticed something recently while trying to practice my own ledge wavelands, and so far it's been news to everybody I have told. Axe suggested I post it in MD, so here you go:

If you are already holding a direction on the joystick as you grab the edge, and you do not let the joystick return to neutral, the game will not register any back, down, or forward inputs on your joystick.

Test for yourself! Double jump into the ledge while holding forward. After you grab on, roll the joystick down, and back, and down, and forward again. Do not let it return to neutral. Nothing will happen! Likewise, if you use up to double jump, and you KEEP holding up, then roll the joystick in a 360 degree motion (again, WITHOUT returning it to neutral), you will not let go or stand up. Instead, when the joystick reaches up again, you'll just jump.

So in case you were having trouble with your ledgehops (and in case this wasn't super common knowledge and AZ is a billion years behind) this might be a reason why.
if you get hit out of your UB, you lose your jump, even if you use it off the ground (i think, also same with SB? i think?)
[/collapse]

[collapse="Situational stuff"]
Falcon must say "Kick!" in "Falcon Kick!" before hitting the lava on Brinstar in order to regain his double jump.
[/collapse]

[collapse="Completely useless/ridiculously situational stuff"]

If roy dairs sourspots you but you die, the game reads it as a meteor spike.
-You can Powershield Mewtwo's disable.
[/collapse]

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Maybe separate the OP into two sections? One for gimmicks one for important stuff. Also, don't quote this stuff. I'd rather scroll through the endless wall of relentless information :D

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Maybe separate the OP into two sections? One for gimmicks one for important stuff. Also, don't quote this stuff. I'd rather scroll through the endless wall of relentless information :D
good idea (on splitting the OP in 2)

what's wrong with scrolling through an endless wall of quotes? i feel like quotes work slightly better since you can clearly see where one thing ends and the next begins. also, it gives credit to the original poster.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
also, it gives credit to the original poster.
Good idea I'm ok with this.

EDIT: Just realized I didn't mean to say quotes when I did, I meant don't make it hide/show. But now since we have it split into three subsections it makes much more sense to do so. Carry on lol.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
The lightest and heaviest characters in the game (that's Pichu and Bowser, respectively) have the same non-FF'd fall speed.

However, Bowser accelerates to his max. normal fall speed faster than Pichu does. Pichu can also fast-fall faster than Bowser can.

(I got this info from Mew2King's old stats website thingie.)

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i'll work on updating the OP whenever i have time

i have a lot of things going on until like, next weekend, so don't expect much from me until then at soonest :(

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Falcon can SH knee people on BF platforms, but the vertical hit boxes differ greatly. Sheik, Fox, Marth are really easy to knee, Falco and Falcon are very hard. I'm not sure about others.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Peach can throw a turnip upwards from underneath the center platform of battlefield and have it fall back to the ground. This does not work on dreamland, because the center platform is lower.

This can be used to punish jigglypuff's rest when she whiffs it under the platform.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Pi said:
if you get hit out of your UB, you lose your jump, even if you use it off the ground (i think, also same with SB? i think?)
This is true for up-B (even if grounded), but not for side-B. At least for the spacies.

Also I just stumbled into this.

unknown522

Some guy
Also with YL's d-air/d-tilt (not sure about adult link's d-tilt), luigi's d-air, peach's d-tilt, g&w's d-air, and I'm not sure about this one but possibly doc's u-smash.

There's more weird ones I'm not thinking of.

:phone:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Basically the gist is that if you kill with a move that can have meteor properties, even if you kill them not with a meteor, you get the meteor bonus.

So the only ones of those that can really be *weird* are Samus's Utilt or Doc's Usmash because you might not know those are meteors in the first place. Also Peach's dthrow iirc

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Doc's up-smash. look at the angle. notice it only hits grounded foes only too. the other hitbox is in the exact same position but hits air only

VietGeek

Smash Hero
pretty cute spike imo

i guess it wouldn't count as a meteor anymore

260-280 is the range for meteors in this game.

NNID
dansalvato
Link's grab has two grab boxes, one at the end of the hookshot and another on his hand. The one on his hand can be used to grab opponents out of the air, and even opponents behind him in some situations. I dunno, most people are not aware that Link can actually grab out of the air like other characters.

Fox can sweetspot Battlefield from below with his upB if his positioning is absolutely perfect. It's too difficult for practical purposes, but it's possible.

If you're shielding and you fall backwards off a platform, you'll enter an action state similar to hitstun in which you helplessly fall through the air until you enter tumble or hit the ground. If you're facing forward, you instantly enter regular fall, out of which you can use aerials. Keep this in mind when facing shield pressure on a platform.

G&W's Judgment value is dependent on the previous two values swung. I don't know the exact algorithm (I could probably figure it out but I don't feel like it), but the highest frequency at which you can get a number is once every three swings. I believe the numbers are grouped as such: 1,2,3; 4,5,6; 7,8,9. If you get two numbers in the same group for two swings, then the third swing is very unlikely to return the final number of that group.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
G&W's Judgment value is dependent on the previous two values swung. I don't know the exact algorithm (I could probably figure it out but I don't feel like it), but the highest frequency at which you can get a number is once every three swings. I believe the numbers are grouped as such: 1,2,3; 4,5,6; 7,8,9. If you get two numbers in the same group for two swings, then the third swing is very unlikely to return the final number of that group.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure that's partially false. With GW, you can't ever get one of the two previous numbers. Matches start as if you already got a 1 and a 2 previously. So, this means that the first time you use Judgment you have a 1/7 chance of getting 9, and it is impossible to get 1 or 2. I think that for the second usage, you can't ever get a 1.

Another way to say this is to imagine that the numbers you got form a queue.The next number in the queue can't be any of the two previous numbers. The default queue is 1 2.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
btw, here's my list from lovage's thread of mostly COMPLETELY useless stadium knowledge (stuff I learned back in like '03-'06).

Some of it is actually relevant to vs mode though, so I'll extract it.

[collapse="Useless info!"]
Now for a monster post that I bet is full of info that nobody here had a clue about, mostly Stadium related. I apologize in advance for a lot of this being useless knowledge >_>

The HRC platform is longer and higher off the ground when the game is set in Japanese. In PAL the longer platform is always there since you can't change the game to feet. Also, when in meters the invisible backwall is further from the platform and the track itself is longer (3458.5 m as opposed to 3457.9 m).

Donkey Kong has two fully charged Giant Punches. If you charge it then release it immediately, without storing it (so, let him swing his arm 10 times then release), it is significantly stronger and has a different attacking sound (a smack rather than a thump) than if you store the full charge and use it later.

In SSBM versions 1.0 and 1.1, scores for Doc, Falco, Ganon, Pichu, Young Link, and Roy in any Multi-Man Melee mode are reset to 0 when you first start a run with them (only the first time) after turning on the game. If you then play another character, you can transfer your score with those characters to other characters. Also, the game doesn't say "A New Record" for those modes in 1.0 and 1.1.

In SSBM version 1.0, if you hit past 4556.6 ft in HRC while in meter mode the game says no distance unless the sandbag was on the ground before you hit it. The old version limit is therefore around 4990 rather than 4556.6 ft. as previously believed.

Sheik and Falcon's bat smashes have 2 hits. The 2nd has purely vertical knockback. If the opponent / sandbag have any horizontal momentum whatsoever before the 2nd hit that momentum will be retained provided there is no interference. This is why if you hit with both hits the sandbag moves to the side very slowly.

You can do only the first hit of Sheik / Falcon's bat smash if you let go of A before the 2nd hit starts. With Falcon I believe the first hit alone does 30%, despite having almost no knockback.

If you switch the game to meter mode, pick Ganon in HRC, and do a single jump Warlock Punch immediately, it will be a phantom hit.

The game actually calculates fractions of a percent and adds an extra 1% to the displayed total whenever fractions exceed 1 when added. The base knockback of some attacks includes fractions.

If, beginning with undecayed moves, you do 5 of Roy's first forward-B hits, the next any attack will do 1% more than it should due to fractional percents. So, if you then use his full charge Flare Blade, it will do 51% rather than 50%.

For ICs' freeze glitch off of forward and up-throws, you can get it to work 100% of the time if you forward-B when Nana's hammer hits during the throw.

Peach's item down-throw is slightly behind her. If you face someone holding an item and you throw down, no matter how close you are the item won't hit until it first bounces off the ground and back up. If you roll to the edge and throw down it will go right by the edge of the stage.

A bat "no-ping" hit occurs when you hit with the handle of the bat. When the bag has under 120% a no-ping hit is stronger than a tipper, except with the Marios and DK, who have garbage no-ping hits.

DK has a very large no-ping hitbox.

If the sandbag is laying on its side, standing inside it and doing a bat swing with Young Link or G&W results in an auto no-ping hit.

Pikachu and Pichu can do auto no-ping hits by standing adjacent to the sandbag and swinging the wrong way. They also have weak bat smashes if you aren't quite next to the bag (like a reverse tipper).

Warlock Punch has 3 hitboxes. The strongest knockback-wise is at Ganon's head and does 4% more than normal.

Sandbag has a slanted hitbox. The corner by his eyes is actually lower than the opposite corner. This is actually critical for getting the most damage out of bat drop combos, as the bat will fall more before hitting the sandbag if you drop it on the side with his eyes.

There's no move decay in frame-by-frame debug mode.

Fox/Falco can do a "super forward-B" by skimming off the top of a Goomba or Koopa as he begins to move forward in the forward-B.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeleRWtXr4s
(mushroom not required)

On Adventure stage 2-2 (vs. Giant DK), if you play on very hard and do not move Giant DK will suicide almost instantly 100% of the time regardless of your character.

If you face a level 9 Roy on Jungle Japes and stand towards the left edge of the rightmost platform as he respawns, he will do a reverse up-B and kill himself 100% of the time. If you stand closer to the edge he will suicide by attempting a neutral-air and falling to his death. Try doing this vs. 3 level 9 Roys simultaneously for some laughs.

Every character can make it from the right side of Hyrule, underneath, to the bottom platform without any outside assistance. Falco is the hardest to do it with - he just barely makes it.

Timers in the game take around .6 seconds to start after the game says "GO!" This includes Stadium (so BtT runs are actually a little longer than the timer indicates).

If you stand adjacent to an opponent with Kirby and face backwards, a forward-B will do a reverse sweetspot.

On Battlefield, you can cause AI to go into some sort of odd camping mode by being at the exact edge of a platform. It's easy to do by rolling to the edge of a platform with Ness or Ganondorf. Demonstration video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsGSvphhVtE

The counters in Endless and Cruel Melee internally count higher than 9999 even though it just stays at 9999 instead of going to 10000 and beyond. If you get to 65535 internally the counter reverts back to 0 and continues to loop.

Samus's extended grapple can be activated when in the air. It's great to use right off the respawn platform.

Pick Peach, go to HRC in meter mode, and get it to lay on its side without nudging it forward at all (try f-tilt and down-tilt). Then go all the way to the left edge and roll right. While the sandbag is still on the ground, you can do phantom down-smashes for huge damage.

You can get a character's stage music to play on his/her respective Break the Targets stage by holding R as you reset with Z. Can only be done if you are player 1.

In Endless Melee, opponents spawn in sets of 9 (the next wave won't begin until the 9th frame is KO'd).

Bat throws deal a half percent of damage in addition to what they normally do. So, every other bat throw does 1% extra due to the half percents getting added.

If you are facing Master Hand and Crazy Hand and they activate a combined attack as one of them is killed, the killed hand will continue to live but in the background.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rrABiRe3iU

If an HRC score is zoomed in, the game will recognize a new record if it is achieved before the game goes back to the HRC character select screen.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrjR5BBQwc

In 10-Man Melee, here's a list of attacks with the MOST knockback for each character:

(Some moves here may surprise you)

Dr. Mario - Up-B
Mario - Up-B
Luigi - Up-B ‘ping' hit
Bowser - Forward-B throw / klaw strike
Peach - Up-B
Yoshi - Up-tilt
Donkey Kong - Down-B second strike
Captain Falcon - Forward-B
Ganondorf - The back kick of the down-smash
Falco - Down-B
Fox - Down-B
Ness - Up-smash up-swing
Ice Climbers - Neutral-B hammer
Kirby - Spitting an opponent at another opponent
Samus - Up-B
Zelda - Up-B
Sheik - Up-B
Link - Up-smash third strike
Young Link - Ground spin-attack
Pichu - Aerial up-A
Pikachu - Aerial up-A
Jigglypuff - Up-throw
Mewtwo - Sweetspot up-tilt
Mr. Game & Watch - Aerial back-A
Marth - Non-sweetspot up-smash
Roy - Up-B

Attacks become exponentially stronger to the point where many end up more powerful than the Home-Run Bat at high percentages. This lists out what the minimum percentages are for major attacks that send the Sandbag over the limit in the New Version (1.1 and beyond) of the game (11347.2 ft/3458.5 m). This was all tested with AR (Action Replay). I've excluded all Bat Drop combos because the height, spacing and momentum of the bat could drastically change the result. I've ordered the attacks from lowest percent (strongest) to highest percent (weakest).

* All percentages are before the hit.
* All these were done in English mode (in feet, shorter platform, lower platform)
* I only tested attacks which sent the bag over the limit under 500%
* All attacks are fully charged unless stated otherwise

Bat attacks

Bat throw down (25.5%): 396%
Tipper (20%): 410%
Midhit (20%): 413%
Bat throw-up (24.5%): 414%
Regular close-hit (20%): 416%
Bat throw-right (22.5%): 453%
Aerial Bat throw-down (20.5%): 497%

Character attacks

Roy's 41% Flare Blade: 194%
Roy's 50% Flare Blade: 205%
Roy's 36% Flare Blade: 230%
Jigglypuff's Rest (28%): 264%
Pichu's Skull Bash (39%): 273%
Peach's smash-throw down Bob-omb (38.5%): 275%
Ganondorf's 34% Warlock Punch: 276%
Peach's reverse smash throw up Bob-omb (37%): 284%
Bowser's tipper forward-smash (32.5%): 290%
Bowser's close forward-smash (32.5%): 298%
Peach's (Facing) forward-smash throw forward Bob-omb (35%): 303%
Peach's reverse tilt throw down Bob-omb (34%): 314%
Peach's dash throw Bob-omb (34%): 314%
Peach's Aerial throw down Bob-omb (34%): 314%
Ganondorf's Warlock Punch (30%): 322%
Donkey Kong's 30% GP (Ten charge): 329%
Peach's Aerial throw forward Bob-omb (32%): 337%
Donkey Kong's 28% GP (Nine charge): 355%
Marth's tippered Shield Breaker (28%): 343%
Mr. Game and Watch's Judgement 9 (32%): 347%
Captain Falcon's 27% AFP: 349%
Captain Falcon's forward-smash tilted upwards (28%): 350%
Giga Bowser's tipper forward-smash (27%): 351%
Captain Falcon's 27% Falcon Punch: 354%
Jigglypuff's forward-smash (23%): 366%
Donkey Kong's Fully Charged 30% Giant Punch: 372%
Dr. Mario's forward-smash tilted upwards (27%): 373%
Pikachu's Skull Bash (29%): 383%
Pikachu's 28% forward-smash: 383%
Captain Falcon's 25% FP: 384%
Mr. Game and Watch's forward-smash: 386%
Donkey Kong's forward-smash tilted upwards (27%): 390%

Bat throw-down: 396%

Bowser's Uncharged tippered forward-smash (24%): 397%
Luigi's Misfire (25%): 397%
Ganondorf's spaced up smash (30%): 401%
Captain Falcon's down-smash (24%): 408%
Bowser's Uncharged forward-smash (24%): 408%
Luigi's forward-smash (17%): 408%

Tipper: 410%

Ganondorf's up tilt (27%): 411%
Ganondorf's forward-smash (30%): 412%
Captain Falcon's 23% AFP: 413%
Mario's forward-smash tilted upwards(25%): 416%
Captain Falcon's 23% FP: 418%
Ness's PK Flash (36%): 418%
Pikachu's 25% forward-smash: 441%
Peach's reverse smash throw down Stitch Face Turnip (27%): 451%
Ice Climbers' co-op forward-smash (38%): 462%
Donkey Kong's down-smash (21%): 466%
Samus's forward-smash tilted upwards (20%): 471%
Falco's forward-smash (23%): 472%
Kirby's up smash (20%): 472%
Fox's up-smash (24%): 477%
Fox's forward-smash (20%): 479%
Mewtwo's down-smash (20%): 482%
Ice Climber's forward-smash (19%): 484%
Luigi's Green Missile (26%): 485%
Marth's tippered down-smash (21%): 489%
Ness's tippered forward-smash (32%): 492%
Pikachu's 24% forward-smash: 492%
Marth's tippered forward-smash (27%): 496%
Yoshi's forward-smash (21%): 497%
Mewtwo's forward-smash (27%): 499%

*Note that Roy's forward-smash fails to make the list
[/collapse]

[collapse="Maybe useful stuff?"]
Fox's Fair DOES NOT have bigger range in PAL. This misconception came about when no non-PAL player could sub-7.28 Fox in BtT with the old WR strat but it turned out to just be a huge coincidence. People AR'd the crap out of it and showed it was false.

If you release Roy's Flare Blade 1 frame before it's fully charged it does 41% with no explosion. This "41% Flare Blade" is actually significantly stronger than the fully charged 50% version. Maybe robots like m2k can do this to punish missed Rest LOL

Donkey Kong has two fully charged Giant Punches. If you charge it then release it immediately, without storing it (so, let him swing his arm 10 times then release), it is significantly stronger and has a different attacking sound (a smack rather than a thump) than if you store the full charge and use it later. Useful for punishing a missed rest.

The game actually calculates fractions of a percent and adds an extra 1% to the displayed total whenever fractions exceed 1 when added. The base knockback of some attacks includes fractions.

For ICs' freeze glitch off of forward and up-throws, you can get it to work 100% of the time if you forward-B when Nana's hammer hits during the throw.

Peach's item down-throw is slightly behind her. If you face someone holding an item and you throw down, no matter how close you are the item won't hit until it first bounces off the ground and back up. If you roll to the edge and throw down it will go right by the edge of the stage. Possibly useful for edgeguarding.

Falcon Punch is stronger if it connects while Falcon is in the air. (coined "AFP" or Aerial Falcon Punch) Useful for punishing a missed Rest. You can ANGLE Falcon Punch up and down if you are holding up or down as it comes out (only works when in the air). Knockback is unaffected.

When moves are decayed they also have less hitlag.

The analog stick allows you to buffer movement inputs. For example, if you hit up to jump during the last few frames of lag, you will jump on the first possible frame since the action of hitting the stick up has multiple "on" frames, and the first possible jumping frame will likely occur during one of those "on" frames.
[/collapse]

NNID
dansalvato
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure that's partially false. With GW, you can't ever get one of the two previous numbers. Matches start as if you already got a 1 and a 2 previously. So, this means that the first time you use Judgment you have a 1/7 chance of getting 9, and it is impossible to get 1 or 2. I think that for the second usage, you can't ever get a 1.

Another way to say this is to imagine that the numbers you got form a queue.The next number in the queue can't be any of the two previous numbers. The default queue is 1 2.
This is correct, I apologize for not being clear. If you get two numbers in a group (1, 2) then the third swing is very unlikely to be the final number of the group (3 in this case). You're right in saying a number will not repeat for three swings.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Basically the gist is that if you kill with a move that can have meteor properties, even if you kill them not with a meteor, you get the meteor bonus.

So the only ones of those that can really be *weird* are Samus's Utilt or Doc's Usmash because you might not know those are meteors in the first place. Also Peach's dthrow iirc
a meteor against a grounded opponent has 0.8x knockback with the same amount of hitstun. this leads to an overall 25% "increase" (comparative to Knockback) in hitstun, hence why e.g. falcon's dair feels like it has a huge amount of hitstun. this is used on doc usmash and samus utilt to give it extra comboability.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well sometimes I get really close to grabbing the ledge, so if tilting up would've made me burst upwards a little, it could have potentially saved me.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
The real question is, does aerial falcon punch have more knockback than fully charged fsmash? If not, then this is still useless -.-

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I still don't get how that can be useful because Falcon Punch has so much lag. If you are high enough that you could Falcon Punch and not drop down too low to recover, you might as well have used Falcon Kick.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i've known about the falcon punch thing for a while. idk if i'd refer to it as tilting it, but it definitely affects the "direction" that you go when you release it. im pretty sure tilting falcon punches up and down at least make it easier to survive doing the falcon punch

whenever i falcon punch people offstage, my survivability feels way better when i tilt it up

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
G&W's un-L-cancelable aerials are located under specials rather than aerials and that is why you can't l cancel them.

even if they could be, G&W doesn't read his bair landing lag from the right spot anyway, it points to nair even though there is a value for bair.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I still don't get how that can be useful because Falcon Punch has so much lag. If you are high enough that you could Falcon Punch and not drop down too low to recover, you might as well have used Falcon Kick.
I'm talking about jumping off to Falcon Punch people. I didn't know there was any other way to play Falcon.

D

Deleted member

they don't yeah. mewtwo is incredibly, irredeemably terrible and should be seen as an error in programming rather than a select-able character.

Top Bottom