• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you feel are wrong in SSB4?

Ness Gymrae

Smash Apprentice
The only Smash 4 newcomers I have some fun with are Robin and Pac-Man... Smash 4 has too many failed concepts (Little Mac and Rosalina), and too many downright boring newcomers (Shulk, Duck Hunt Dog).
With Little Mac, I agree with you. Rosalina, Duck Hunt, and Shulk are not really bad characters in smash really... If set to level 9 CPU, Rosalina is REALLY annoying like Meta Knight. I enjoy Shulk the most out of all newcomers because he is powerful when you use him right. Besides... they ARE Nintendo's characters and it IS Nintendo's game after all...

Last edited:

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
With Little Mac, I agree with you. Rosalina, Duck Hunt, and Shulk are not really bad characters in smash really... If set to level 9 CPU, Rosalina is REALLY annoying like Meta Knight. I enjoy Shulk the most out of all newcomers because he is powerful when you use him right. Besides... they ARE Nintendo's characters and it IS Nintendo's game after all...
I feel like Shulk's monado arts, especially his buster and smash modes, act as a crutch for the character who simply does not need one. I also loathe the pairing of humongous melee range with sluggish, hard hitting attacks. Nowhere in Smash history have they ever taken that pairing as far as they did with Shulk.

Signature relevant; it conveys my feelings about Shulk in a less wordy manner~

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
No :wolf:, edge mechanics, spamable air-dodges, inclusion of full clones (looking at you :4darkpit:), replacing :popo: with something even more OP (:rosalina:), making high-tier Brawl characters even better.

Ness Gymrae

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Shulk's monado arts, especially his buster and smash modes, act as a crutch for the character who simply does not need one. I also loathe the pairing of humongous melee range with sluggish, hard hitting attacks. Nowhere in Smash history have they ever taken that pairing as far as they did with Shulk.

Signature relevant; it conveys my feelings about Shulk in a less wordy manner~
Shulk IS a good character, but one thing I really dislike is the Monado Arts like you said. Jump decreases defense, defence decreases speed, etc... Sometimes, I feel like some arts are completely useless. Like Buster and Smash, when I use it, I don't see a difference at all, just does the same damage and that's all.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
:4luigi: had wall jump cut even though he was able to post-Super Mario 64 DS.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Shulk IS a good character, but one thing I really dislike is the Monado Arts like you said. Jump decreases defense, defence decreases speed, etc... Sometimes, I feel like some arts are completely useless. Like Buster and Smash, when I use it, I don't see a difference at all, just does the same damage and that's all.
It depends on how you use them. Jump can easily save you from death while off stage and increases your air movement in general to allow for better aerial performance, speed gives you some better approaching options, buster makes you do nearly 1.4x normal damage with almost zero consequences. (The extra damage you take is literally just 5% compared to the 40% extra you do.) and smash allows you to KO enemies at low %.

So long as you aren't taking hits while you have reduced damage in speed mode or using smash mode before they're high enough % to KO them there's really no significant downside to any of the monado arts, imho.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I'll say my annoyances that have bothered me since my experience with the game:

1) Shielding - Shields generate way too fast for instance, heck I feel like I'm not even making much of a dent every time I decrease my opponents shield and trying to go for a shield break. Other than that, I feel like the shield comes up too fast especially for faster characters like Sonic or Captain Falcon. While it's self explanatory that if you were to input a move, wait for the end lag to disappear before doing another action input type sequence; is sensible to everyone, I feel that players who vs others who are playing fast characters have less time to punish them (ex: missed dash or smash attack) before their shield activates (or just in all characters in general) or it just may be my slow reaction times that's all.

2) Rolling - One of my most hated mechanics in this game. Rolling can just be spammed indefinitely and is just ridiculously annoying at times. While most rolls differ from character to character, I find it absolutely irritating dealing with the absolutely fast and hard to predict rolls some characters have (calling you out Link and Little Mac) and how much distance they cover with it. I find it frustrating to find the right timing to punish their roll but even with the read in mind, you'll probably either go to early or to late or they were able to roll again before your attack lands and you end up not achieving anything from that. (Esp roll spammers.. hate them.)

3. Invincibility Frames - Probably another mechanic I kinda hate. Invincibility frames that characters have in my opinion for this game are too long and spammable. Things like air dodging are easily spammed (but sorta easy to read) but spammed so much there's literally no window in where they opponent is vulnerable. Same thing with rolling, while the distance some characters travel with their rolls are hard for me play through, the INVINCIBILITY time they get through the roll is too damn safe and rewarding for the player using it. While they're vulnerable at the start and end of the roll, it's literally hard to land an attack in that specific time frame as the rolls come up to fast and they would have already traveled their max role distance. Invincibility frames on like the ledge in my opinion are alright but I feel like they're longer then they were from the past games and it's something I still have yet to adjust too.

All in all most of the stuff I ranted about is mainly based on defending, recovering, and maneuver ability. I feel like the game can be too rewarding at times for things like roll dodges as they can like instantly be used again after the 1st roll was finished or how shields take some time to break down but they immediately regenerate after a few seconds or so. It's a bit hard to play against as most people take advantage of this but I guess I would just have to keep improving myself so I can learn how to counter these mechanics.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Very happy with how Smash 4 turned out, but the main thing that bugs me is why customs take so long to unlock, or why they're unlockable at all.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
why doesn't Wario have that shoulder charge thing like he did in wario land. its like one of his most signature moves. its like if Sakurai was like "just remove Captain Falcon's falcon punch and replace it with a new move lol"

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
why doesn't Wario have that shoulder charge thing like he did in wario land. its like one of his most signature moves. its like if Sakurai was like "just remove Captain Falcon's falcon punch and replace it with a new move lol"
Bad analogy considering the Falcon Punch isn't F-Zero canon

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
...making high-tier Brawl characters even better.
I would disagree with that. Of the top 10, MK was nerfed, Olimar was nerfed, Marth was nerfed, Falco was nerfed, and Wario was nerfed. IC and Snake were cut. That just leaves Diddy Kong, Pikachu, and ZSS - only 3 of the 10 high tier characters.

But anyways, my main gripe is Shulk being in the third-party section of the css.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I would disagree with that. Of the top 10, MK was nerfed, Olimar was nerfed, Marth was nerfed, Falco was nerfed, and Wario was nerfed. IC and Snake were cut. That just leaves Diddy Kong, Pikachu, and ZSS - only 3 of the 10 high tier characters.
The point still stands, previously very good characters were made better. I did overlook Olimar, Marth, etc, however, I was speaking mainly about ZSS, Diddy and Lucario.
I feel like it is at this point.
How can it be? It was created for the Smash Bros. series and has not appeared in any F-Zero games. Anime doesn't count btw.

Last edited:

Emélie De Rochèfort

Smash Rookie
1) The declusion of Lucas (Some say he's exactly the same as Ness,but I strongly disagree)
2) No original stages
3) Lack of collectibles
4) Most voices are simply atrocious
5) No DLC
6) No Story Mode
7) No 8 Player Smash Online
8) Villager and Rosalina & Luma
That is all I can come up with to be honest. Other than those I think Smash 4 is a pretty complete and reaches Near Perfection ,If I might add

Last edited:

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
1) The declusion of Lucas (Some say he's exactly the same as Ness,but I strongly disagree) Edit-He IS in
2) No original stages
3) Lack of collectibles
5) No DLC
6) No Story Mode
That is all I can come up with to be honest. Other than those I think Smash 4 is a pretty complete and reaches Near Perfection ,If I might add
Lucas sucked ass
. Wolf, however, was awesome. No 8 player smash online? Sakurai studied at tech school, not Hogwarts.
In the Japanese version, I love the voices, since I have that version. Who cares about collectibles. VillAger is cool, and No DLC? Mewtwo much???!!!!

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
1) The declusion of Lucas (Some say he's exactly the same as Ness,but I strongly disagree)
2) No original stages
3) Lack of collectibles
5) No DLC
6) No Story Mode
>No original stages
25 new stages for 3DS, 29 for Wii U
>No DLC
Smash has never had DLC and just because it can, doesn't mean it should
>No 8 Player Smash Online
Do you want even more lag than there already is?

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Need more Characters! Roy (fire emblem), Snake, Lucas, and ONE more Xenoblade character (I don't care if it is Dunban or Riki since they ARE in Shulk's final smash)

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
• I would prefer the victory theme from melee over the smash 4 one for Captain Falcon
• I would prefer the victory theme from melee over the smash 4 one for Ness
• I would prefer the victory theme from melee over the smash 4 one for Mr. Game and Watch
• Why isnt Megaman's victory theme the one when you defeat a robot master
• One of Mario's victory animations isnt the one from Super Mario 64 where he spins and puts up the peace sign
• One of Diddy's victory animations isnt him with sunglasses and his boombox
• Dixie Kong isnt in this game
• Paper Mario isnt in this game, but Doctor Mario is... -_-
• The Ice Climbers arnt in the game...but i guess we have Dunk Hunt as our new NES rep so that's something
• Ganondorf still doesn't have an original moveset...i mean they could easily put in Black Shadow from F-Zero and give him Ganon's current move set...but whatever i guess its not that big a deal.
• Why isn't Little Mac's dizzy pose his out of breath pose from punchout?
• Why doesn't Wario have his signiture shoulder charge move from wario land?
• Does not have L-canceling
• Shields seem like they regenerate too fast
• Kinda floaty, not as bad as brawl though
• Mr. Game and Watch does not feel as good as brawl

That's all i can think of for now...i still really enjoy playing smash 4 but these are little nitpicks of mine lol

MalcolmFlex

Smash Cadet
The exclusion of such characters such as: Skull Kid, a Young Link with the Zora, Goron and Deku masks (swap like the Pokemon Trainer), King K. Rool, King Arthur, Wolf, Paper Mario, Impa, Isaac, Viewtiful Joe and Banjo Kazooie. Some of these are definitely a stretch, but some of these would be insanely fun to play as.

I still think Little Mac should have a Mike Tyson alternate costume..

The *rushed?* online mode. Online play has definitely improved since Brawl, but it's still almost unbearable to play at times. You should be able to play with friends online, but on the same team in For Glory mode. I definitely hope in the future they fix the current lag fest most of us are experiencing. If Sony can manage to have 15+ players on the same map in COD with no lag, I think Nintendo should be able to accomplish a similar feat with Smash..

I mean, that's basically all I have. The game itself is amazing, and probably my second favorite one to play behind Melee. I've just always had a problem with the character selection -- there's nobody I personally am an absolute fan favorite of (which is on me) but it also appears most characters are neglected. I usually see the same characters being selected, which just leads me to believe that most people find most characters either difficult to use or utterly boring.

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
It's very frustrating. All you really do in a fight is shield, roll, spot dodge, and air dodge until one of you makes a mistake and gets punished. There are almost no true combos. Your fighting(sorry shielding and dodging) just to get one or two hits then you start all over. Also there are too many counters and the startup for them lasts forever. Counters should be quick. I don't mind the ridiculous recovery or the lack of ledge hogging. The game is fun casually but I personally do not enjoy the slowerish pace. I'm going to stay on the casual side of this game and keep my competitive game for PM and Melee.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I want real combos. I want real hype combos instead of 90% down throw into aerial. Why must we have a (slightly) sped up game with lag filled moves?

A few days ago, my friends and I, we played melee. I 0-to deathed one of them using reads and generally being all over him at the right times. It got me thinking , there is no way to do that in Smash 4, its so forgiving, its so free that when your opponent messes up they usually are saved.

I guess what I mean is that I can't stand the limit set upon us this time around. Granted we were limited in brawl, but this time its like not even slightly hidden that we can't do a lot.

I was actually pissed off when I watched a Smash Flash combo video... their stuff looks a lot better than what we have. For a few minutes I was thinking to myself " we just need to make more interesting smash 4 content as a community" But then I realized that our game doesn't really cater to that. And even if it does and we don't know it yet, the metagame is stagnant to the point where we will never know if offensive is truly neutered.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Actually, One wasteful thing in smash is some characters and etc. first off, Nintendo never fixed :4ganondorf: and gave him his own new moveset, :4palutena: being in the game, seperating :4sheik: and :4zelda: as seperate characters, making :4diddy: more annoying, adding and editing my only weaknesses: :4greninja:&:4peach:, having :4mewtwo:&:4lucas: in the game as dlc (well that might be ok if they weren't able to do it in the beginning because of space and suprise), and :4charizard: as standalone. I mean, I would like :ivysaur:&:squirtle: back. I miss pkmn trainer still. Now I don't want to offend anyone or anything, but just the things to me that don't seem good enough and satisfy me. If you have a problem, then ok. Again, NOT OFFENDING ANYONE.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I personally don't think rolls are too good, I just think roll punishes are too bad. I think reaction-based punishes in general are too bad.

All these weird, non-meaty attacks incapable of hitting opponents somewhat inside or even in front of you.

Being able to downsmash out of a run would be a huuuuge speed boost and great way to discourage rolls. Dtilt could be neat too, though I think it'd remove the utility of dash attacks by too much then.

The point still stands, previously very good characters were made better. I did overlook Olimar, Marth, etc, however, I was speaking mainly about ZSS, Diddy and Lucario.
Not really. The claim it made high-tier brawl characters worse is much more true than the claim it made high-tier brawl characters better.

It's really just some characters are better, some are worse. Their past tier placement is irrelevant and has no correlation to how good they are now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Ceiling blast KO's. Why are these a thing? Its like nah no DI for you.. dunno if you even CAN DI but it just feels like the game randomly decides "ceiling blast KO" and you die instantly

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see the removal of missing because the other character is too close. If you're right by Ganondorf's face, his Warlock Punch should still hit you. I wouldn't mind it if they incorporated L-cancelling into Smash 4 either. Aside from that, I really do enjoy the game.

Curse Hollows

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-8094-2293
OK THIS RANT IS GOING TO BE VERY LONG AND I APOLOGIZE THE LENGTH AAAAND ALL OF ITS SPELLING ERRORS AND GRAMMOR

I have the LARGEST rant I could possibly rant. You have NO idea how angry I've become with the development of this game. On the bright side, I admit, the general aspects of this game is greatly appreciated. I love the looks, the graphics, the new animations, the creative characters, the stages are far beyond uncompetitive but they definitely had effort put into them (besides the flat stage modes), the Items are cheap though and make me hate items more, and the additions to classic and other game modes are interesting. ALTHOUGH, there is many things that I despise with this game. I'm some what a rookie in the competitive smash community. In other words, I discovered Project M right before Smash 4 came out for Wii U. Which is when I received it for 3DS. So to me, BOTH games are brand new in a sense and I switch off from one and another very frequently which in some cases can screw up my game play I will gladly admit.
Project M right now is my most favored SSB game or hack or what ever (Hype for 3.6), due to the fact that I feel like the developers made a good effort in keeping the game NOT so cut throat and direct like Melee but not boring and uncompetitive like brawl. Project M is a game that is in my opinion done well. (Although I do agree with Mew2Kings statement on how he does not appreciate a game that nerfs a different character every time theres a new discovery in tech, or in loopholes making all of the hours used to find these abilities a waist.) Project M is very fan based as we can tell due to the fact that it has a wide variety of nostalgic stages, characters and skins/costumes and still has a nice consistency when it comes to fun, and competitive gameplay. I would even say for those who don't rely on tech skill, or find "breaking the game" a fun/fair idea of strategy I think this game is still right for those kinds of players whether it be children or young adults.
Now when it comes to smash 4... I know I can't stand playing that game for more than 30 minutes because the gameplay overall makes me sick. Again cinematically the game is beautiful, new and pretty fun when you aren't in a competitive mood, but when you put yourself in that so called "For Glory" environment and FORCE yourself on a FD platform with either a trashy player, a bull(scratch) character, or a spammer/camper with tons of internet lag and bad connection due to Nintendo's terrifying WiFi server.
It is literally the most stressful game I play that makes me wish I still played Call Of Duty all the time.
Ill tell you why in deep specifics. I HATE certain characters with such a burning passion I will one day die a lonely burnt potato because ALL OF THEM were built so that they wouldn't die and have easy portions of their abilities to just abuse, and abuse and abuse! Example: If you were to pick Pikachu, (a higher tier character considered to be god tier in certain situations) but you aren't quite as good as tournament level players but your standards are set incredibly high cause you are a very confident SSB player.. IT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING when you pull a 4 hit combo leaving around 20-30% on a BOWSER (a character considered garbage tier in most SSB games) just to have him land an ARMOR safe forward smash that you can not cancel or interrupt with a forward tilt or up smash, cover your percentage at a whopping 25 or higher AND have enough knockback and hit stun to send you off stage to be edgeguarded MAKES YOU WANT TO PUKE YEAH?
Along with characters like IKE or LITTLE MAC that you don't even need to jump with you can with with just jabs, forward smashes, counters and spam the B button in different directions basing our strategy like that is absolutely outstanding to me cause I practice tactics, and FORCE myself to use moves that aren't even considered useable in a competitive match (for style purposes). Im sick of seeing a Link/Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, or even R.O.B. just run to one side of the map and camp spamming every B button possible until I either get sick of it and run through their projectiles until one of us die or the time goes out so i die cause my close range styled fox just isn't fast enough to reach a quick sudden death KO (i also don't use shine in this game anymore for the lack of the tech in it). TRUST ME I am no complainer, I rage the least out of all my friends cause when someone makes a play on me and it's obvious that it was done out of sheer skill I'd shake that players hand and rematch them till I showed them a better play cause that, in my head, is how it SHOULD be. In other words there's good salt and then there's NaCl.
Sakurai said that when he made this game or produced it or whatever he said that he wanted a game where "Everyone" was a winner. That is the most disruptive thing I've ever heard a game designer for a FIGHTING game say for a series that was rated T for Teen for 2 games straight. I want to make it very clear that I know this is now a rated E (I think) 10 and up, and it is made for a KID based audience but that doesn't mean that an older generation that played the game at a competitive rate doesn't wish to make the game fun for them too. I won't lie... they DID attempt to make the game accessible for that generation... but titling the play style "For Glory" and making every stage you spent years on creating FLAT (resembling Final Destination that I STILL think should be a COUNTER pick (not to mention that their original FD for smash4 is banned in some tournaments due to the vibrant.. irritating but pretty colors)) when they could have just taken hazards out and made stationary stages for EACH stage. They know VERY well that many of us see Battle Field with 3 platforms to be a beautiful neutral stage. I WISH I could somehow CHOOSE or have some kind of VARIETY of competitive stage instead of if the edges have walls to wall jump off of or if the edge has a lip making the stage harder to sweet spot.

Super Smash Brothers Melee was a game that resembles the SSB bible that is far from obsolete and is STILL growing as a community and I honestly respect every tiny little aspect of it (except the fact that ness and young link are so low of tier :( I guess I still use em) brawl is a game I never wish to talk about again so id say the successor of SSB is most definitely its hack Project Melee or PM due to it literally being Brawl with everything we loved in Melee and MORE. Super Smash Brothers 4 Is basically just a game were Falco and Fox are obsolete, are completely different characters, and are able to jump out of illusion, all you ever see are up tilts from Mario, 80% of characters competitive playset are off of some cheesey combo that starts off with a grab like: diddy's hoohah, ZSS's down throw to Up B, Luigis and Ness's down throw forward air forward air and SO ON.
You should catch my drift, when a SSB game's requirements are to read rolls, forward smash with incredible pieces of armor, grab and do some tedious downthrow/upthrow combo (cause throws are the only thing with high hit stun and low knockback), return to stage with recoveries that are no longer unique but just guaranteed ledge sweetspots Making edge guarding impossible (and don't get me started on edge hogging), projectiles that PROMOTE long range camping and panic spamming, Counter attacks that have longer frames and kill and overly punish skillful and unskillful punishes, characters that may limit your ability but require no skill whatsoever, Clone characters, Characters that at least i consider waists due to their inability to be good unless their motive is to be extremely annoying (Wii Fit trainers edge camps), The fact that their is no aerial punish due to everyone being able to consistently dodge and dodge and dodge AND DODGE weather it be on the GROUND or IN THE AIR (ok thats me complaining im bad at reading rolls), No tech skill, (yeah I have yet to mention how many times I wish I could have wave dashed out of Ikes range but ya know a guy can DREAM yeah? and I'm definitely not perfect pivoting..) and finally... The smashes online game community in smash 4 is unbelievable. I just WISH I could tell the other play that I am lagging unbelievabley ingame so that we can quit, or restart, or wait for the connection to buffer.. but nintendo enjoys not making sense. I HATE when people taunt when they do an unintentional gimp, or if I SD, or if lag took place, or if I was foot stooled unintentionally.. Its rude, in my opinion cause you're celebrating over my inconvenience NOT your display of "skill" cause in my eyes there was none. If it weren't for the many kids who play this game I would be literally frisbeeing my 2DS out my window out of sheer rage through disrespect in this game. I fear their obnoxiousness is a reason for my poor sportyness..

I love smash 4. Despite my hatred for some characters and gameplay issues, I find many new styles with old characters and new styles with new characters interesting and addicting. So my gameplay will still continue for it's my only way to competitively connect with actual people rather than mindless frame perfect Lvl 9's that I can't mindgame. Plus its still considered a successful and fun game and I have extreme hype for my SSB Brawl veteran that I mained named Lucas. I have a fear for the 3 new characters Lucas, Mewtwo, and the "fan favorite" cause I really don't wanna see them unskillfully abused, or have any respect for them wrecked like my precious Bowser and Ganon. Beyond those fears, hates and dislikes I hope others can still find this game fun, but remember that it helps the community to QUIT SPAMMING and CAMPING cause the only thing you get out of it is a win percentage that generally means NOTHIN. In a tournament if you ACTUALLY get away with it I suppose its a different story if you're doing it for the money. (so Hungrybox, kudos to you) but other than that I dislike your game play personally.

BY THE WAY FUN FACT FOR PLAYERS WHO MAIN FOX. IM A FOX PLAYER IN SMASH 4 AND IVE LEARNED A COOL TRICK THATS COMPLETELY USELESS! IF YOU USE FORWARD AIR AND FAST FALL INFRONT OF YOUR OPPONENT THAT IS CURRENTLY STANDING ON STAGE AND MAKE SURE THE VERY LAST HITBOX OF YOUR FORWARD AIR IS LAND CANCELLED AT THE VERY SAME TIME AS THAT VERY LAST HITBOX HITS YOUR OPPONENT THAT IS STANDING ON STAGE YOUR OPPONENT WILL FLY UP WITH THE EXACT SAME HIT STUN AND KNOCKBACK AS IT WOULD BEING HIT WITH A FULLY COCKED FORWARD AIR BUT IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NO DAMAGE AT ALL. IF IT IS THE FIRST STRIKE OF THE GAME OR STOCK FOR YOUR OPPONENT THEIR PERCENTAGE WILL STAY AT 0.

The fact that almost everyone has excelent recoveries and there's not edge hog makes this entry much more ground based.
It will never be in fact focused in battles in the ground because is a smash bros after all.
But I feel this is the game where the air game and the gimp potential are at the minimum.

And this is what I feel is the bigger problem.
I highly agree with this statement. although this game is definatly ground based due to the innability to punish in the air. Characters who have weakness in the air often have high framed counters that can potentially kill or atleaste dodge until safely planted to the ground. I find all ariels only being used successfully once or twice per combo with out getting punished for being overly aggressive. Well unless your opponent DI's wierd.

How the update erased all my old replays. I had my first match in For Glory saved...

Oh, the memories of nearly two months ago... WASTED... :cry:
YEAH I TOTTALLY JV 2 STOCKED A GANON WITH FOX AND NOW I CANT ACCESS THAT >:O...... maybe i can upload it from my computer though who knows?

- The fact that there's no new Metroid playable character aside from Zero Suit Samus (Dark Samus would've been a good choice for this, and possibly Ridley as well)

- The Smash Board mode. It's okay for getting treasure I guess, but unless you're playing with a friend or family member it isn't really that fun until the last turn.

- No Shadow Queen or Princess Daisy costume for Peach

- No Ice Climbers (although I understand why it wasn't possible)
OHOHOOOOO NOOOO THE WOBBLES......... ; - ;

• :4ness: back throw has way too much knock back.
  • :4zelda: Up B way too strong. Kills heavy characters at relatively low %.
  • :4peach: Can pull up turnips way too often. Total BS to play against.
  • :4lucario: Too heavy, becomes way too OP at high percents.
I completely agree with Lucario. He makes gimp and late game kill characters such as pikachu, jiggs, or peach a pain to kill.

Ness IS debateable but he doesnt have many kill options other than his forward smash or his up air or the very unlikely Pk thunder kill or gimp, so a kill throw seems rather appropriate (If you wanna throw in the fact that he racks damage up fast if able to spam PK fire like a dip then perhaps your right in that case)

Zeldas generally a weak character when it comes to combat, a lot of her moves require timing and space but when mastered she has a lot more dangerous kill moves other than her Up B which can be considerabley predicted.

I agree with peach a little bit, but keep in mind that in Melee Armada was able to juggle turnips with peach so i find her abiliies in Smash4 nerfed by a ton

didnt mean to sound like a know it all but i main Ness, and Zelda and im learning Peach coincidently ^- ^;

I like Robin tho i want Robins roster picture to be the female version.

I agree with Rosalina. What a useless space.. could have been Toadette/Toad instead.
If i discard the fact the Roselina/Luma are puppeteering low excuses for Ice climber top teer salt machines then naah man i think their a great addition. Mario Galaxy was a super successful game man :o

• Samus is still the only playable Metroid character
  • Captain Falcon is the only playable F-Zero character
  • Ganondorf still a semiclone
  • Too many Pokemon
  • Too many Mariolings
  • No Roy
  • No Japanese voice option
DUDE A JAPANESE OPTION WOULD BE SICK! I agree on the too many pokemon and mario characters but honestly what is nintendo without em?

Oh, come on. Leave Zelda alone. That girl needs as much buffs as she can get.
right tho?

I have a big problem with this game, and that's the single player gameplay. It's basically made of grinding and farming. Since the release date of the game, I only grinded... trophies, special moves, mii headgears... I just finished today, and I was very frustrated. If it wasn't for the online/freeforall/multiplayer mode (which I enjoy, and I quite like the physics and the engine of the game, even if I still prefer Melee a little), this would have been my all times worst experience with a game.

The game mechanics are fine, and I really like how some annoying tricks (wavedash, L cancel, and even edge hogging, I never liked that too much) were removed, I'm fine with the gameplay and luckily the annoying items can be disabled (I like playing with items on, but I usually disable the broken ones).

What's wrong with the gameplay then? It's wrong that it's too hard KOing people (depending on the character you're using, I use Kirby and for me it's hard). Even if you manage to bring your opponent at 170%, you continue hitting him without killing him, unless you use one of those moves that can kill (in Kirby's case, hammer, stone, or smashes), that usually are very slow, laggy and predictable and make you feel like a spammer in your opponent's eyes.
There is also a bit too much control mid-air, and the dodges/shield are a bit too much effective. It makes the whole gameplay just spam and dodge, and grab to stop dodges and spams and deal some damage.
Still a lot better than Brawl anyway (as I said, even if I prefer Melee, the gameplay is still enjoyable for me, so it's not a real issue, it just could have been better).

My second big problem is the representation. Characters, stages, trophies... everything is wrong. Lots of clones, lots of 8 and 16 bit graphics, reused stages and generic/casual stages.
The representation is splitted like this:
-Current
-Retro
where Current is the representation of content from current games, released in this generation or in the last generation; Retro is only content from very old games that are the first ones in which a character appeared for the first time, mostly 8 bit things.

Everything from SNES to Gamecube is completely ignored, with some very minor exceptions.
The handheld retro games are completely ignored, with the only exception of the prince from that japan only game (and Pokèmon, for obvious reasons)... they even removed Jill & Drill Dozer.

Most fans wanted a game that represented the history of Nintendo, while Sakurai provided a game that represents what Nintendo is today, with some extremely retro references that doesn't represent all the history of Nintendo at all.

And the representation of the current Nintendo is even wrong: for example Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got a lot of content, but they are minor-to-average series... bigger series like Metroid and Donkey Kong got very few content instead. Most people blame Sakurai's bias, and I'm starting to think that they're right.
I like your point and respect that you still use items. Im not gonna lie setting up fun rules like only pokeballs is still fun every now and then xD DUDE me and my friend did something stupid and just played with masterballs on and set it to coin battle.....

The Game is much slower then Brawl, makes playing Fox difficult for me D:

the 3DS version holds back the Wii U version immensely.

To many clone characters that -could've- been unique, but didn't have time or Sakurai just didn't want to.
Smash Run/Smash Tour are worthless imho

No Story Mode despite the perfect chance for one involving Master Core.

Thats to name a few.
I liked master core although id definatley give it up for a story simmilar to brawls. Although it was said that all the clone characters created, especially Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc Mar were just gonna be skins but for the lul sakurai just threw em in as seperate characters, although if it took pushing back the release date of these games when LUCAS AND MEWTEW CAME WITH IT and characters like diddy and rose werent stupid, and Wiifit, Little Mac, Villager and Mega man didnt suck, and Bowser and Ganon didnt piss me off with their crappy armour, Captain falcon wasnt an over powered pee-on and whent back to the party character and Doc Mar was higher tier than mario again, Dark Pit wasnt really Pit and Lucina was either a replaced with Roy or was presented with a skill set that actualyl made me beleive that she should be better than marth.

welp i blew this page up o- o im frankfulyl sorry xD but ive had held my opinions on this game for FAR TOO LONG. this is the first time ive ever posted on smashboards cause ive never known how... o- o...

Last edited by a moderator:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
welp i blew this page up o- o im frankfulyl sorry xD but ive had held my opinions on this game for FAR TOO LONG. this is the first time ive ever posted on smashboards cause ive never known how... o- o...
holy crap.... that's a lot of rants & posts 0_0

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
I liked master core although id definatley give it up for a story simmilar to brawls. Although it was said that all the clone characters created, especially Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc Mar were just gonna be skins but for the lul sakurai just threw em in as seperate characters, although if it took pushing back the release date of these games when LUCAS AND MEWTEW CAME WITH IT and characters like diddy and rose werent stupid, and Wiifit, Little Mac, Villager and Mega man didnt suck, and Bowser and Ganon didnt piss me off with their crappy armour, Captain falcon wasnt an over powered pee-on and whent back to the party character and Doc Mar was higher tier than mario again, Dark Pit wasnt really Pit and Lucina was either a replaced with Roy or was presented with a skill set that actualyl made me beleive that she should be better than marth.

Jesus Christ dude, I posted this back on November 25th of 2014.

Also you're probably going to get reprimanded due to there being a lot of double posts, and that being against the Term of Services.

Curse Hollows

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-8094-2293
Jesus Christ dude, I posted this back on November 25th of 2014.

Also you're probably going to get reprimanded due to there being a lot of double posts, and that being against the Term of Services.
heeyyyyy thats my birthday..... My bad dude i know i'm like.. uber late but again i JUST figured out how to use these forums o- o i only really used this to figure out were the competative PM players are in my area and added a few folks the town over on facebook ^- ^;...

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
low endlag rolls, unlimited air dodges, too much endlag on most moves for most characters approach options or too little stun on sheilds(not sure which), lack of reliable kill set ups with most characters.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My bad dude i know i'm like.. uber late but again i JUST figured out how to use these forums o- o i only really used this to figure out were the competative PM players are in my area and added a few folks the town over on facebook ^- ^;...
The "Edit" button at the bottom of every post is your friend. Posting multiple times in a row counts as spam, which as said is against the rules. For now I'll merge the posts, but try to control your enthusiasm in the future.

Curse Hollows

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-8094-2293
The "Edit" button at the bottom of every post is your friend. Posting multiple times in a row counts as spam, which as said is against the rules. For now I'll merge the posts, but try to control your enthusiasm in the future.
Will do thank you ^- ^;

Mechageo

Smash Ace
No Inkling, Dixie Kong, Lip and Adeleine playable yet. Lots of missed opportunities for alt costumes also. To name a few: Daisy, Ms. Pac-Man, Galacta Knight, Paula, Captain Brittany, maybe even Shadow the Edgyhog. Removing Lucas while adding the edgelord called Dark Pit was also a bad move, in my opinion. Lackluster number of new stages for both versions and lastly, some custom moves could have been used to further differentiate clones from the original characters.
Yay that your "removing Lucas" line isn't true anymore.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Metroid is still left with 2 reps that are the same character
Maybe this is because I've only played 2 Metroid games, but what other characters in the series would be good reps? Ridley is out and I don't think anyone would be too excited about Dark Samus.

Top Bottom