• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that you hate to deal with on For Glory?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It may not have been this thread's intention, but respect vs disrespect is hugely important in competitive matches and is a big fighting game concept in general. Respect would generally mean treating your opponent as a very skilled and competent opponent while playing disrespectfully is playing to take advantage of mistakes you expect them to make. Examples of playing disrespectfully would be doing things like throwing out unsafe moves on shield on purpose, using gimmicky combos that don't work at all if your opponent knows how to DI, charging smashes and counting on your opponent to run into them, challenging what should be tight pressure or spatial control with your own attacks that should in theory lose, charging at them with moves like Rollout to see if they can actually time the counterhit, or trying to punish with moves that are too slow to be proper punishes just assuming your opponent won't block or airdodge anyway. It's an important dynamic since if you're too respectful you'll let your opponent get away with stuff as you just assume they do it right and will also leave a lot of damage on the table (when playing very strong players, it's actually common for weaker players to lose even more badly than they should just because they're hyper-respectful of everything the strong player does), but disrespectful plays are across the board bad plays if your opponent does respond correctly so you have to find a good balance. As a player I definitely err on the side of disrespect, but I'm always trying to make reads and figure data on my opponent as I go to understand how this particular foe plays suboptimally and how I can make them regret it.

VibraKnife

Smash Rookie
If we're purely regarding things that annoy us, which is basically what's being talked about at this point anyways, I hate DK suiciders. So frustrating, because the cockiness shows after one suicide. (Although, I mean, it does take some learning.)

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I'm sure someone's mentioned this before, but switching to a character that's considered top tier after losing is pretty bad. Characters like Mac, ZSS, maybe Fox (which is archaic thinking at this point), and Sheik, especially Sheik. These characters will not magically solve your problems, especially when you don't even know what you're doing with them.

In other news:

Honestly, I would've named this thread 'Things That Bug You Online.' That probably would've gotten a little less backlash.
I find it more funny when people lose to a "Low Tier " character once you defeat them as one. I've had a good run as Wii Fit Trainer, and people often switch to her after a loss. It's hilarious to see how little they know about the character, thinking they'll win if they simply select them. :)

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
If you snooze, you lose. Some people bow/taunt to open a match, others do not. Neither way is wrong.
Yeah,but it doesn't seem right to respectfully bow at the beginning of a match to just have someone just take advantage of that not only is it disrespectful, but it is also cheap to do that. A good player should never have to do anything cheap to help them win.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah,but it doesn't seem right to respectfully bow at the beginning of a match to just have someone just take advantage of that not only is it disrespectful, but it is also cheap to do that. A good player should never have to do anything cheap to help them win.
A smart player should never taunt in the beginning of a match then.

deech

Smash Cadet
I've found out away to piss people off on For Glory.

If I'm playing against someone that is clearly using a gimmicky character, I SD immediately at the beginning of the match and continue to 2 stock them.

It usually makes them rage quit but it's so satisfying to annoy people like that.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I've found out away to piss people off on For Glory.

If I'm playing against someone that is clearly using a gimmicky character, I SD immediately at the beginning of the match and continue to 2 stock them.

It usually makes them rage quit but it's so satisfying to annoy people like that.
You must be playing against a lot of people new to SSB. Anyone good at the game would punish you hard for doing that and you would lose.

AkitoUF

Smash Rookie
People taunting but ONLY SOMETIMES.
For instance, if my opponent kills me but we both know it was a good fight, a taunt is even a sign of respect, like his way of saying "good fight, dude", I do it a lot but I care about doing it right to at least think my opponent knows I enjoyed the match. But sometimes you just know when someone is being an ass.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Well something that just happened was very disrespectful. I'm going to name names here... "Ivan" got sent flying by a final smash attack while I played as Sonic. At the very last second, the game stopped - he had quit the game and been replaced with a CPU player. I have no idea why; he was doing well enough to have me on my 2nd stock at 80% damage, and he had defeated me the round before that, but he quit anyway. Sore losers can be quite disrespectful in situations like that.

Toonfish

Smash Rookie
For me there is no such thing as disrespect. It's a game. It's all in good fun^^

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I find it disrespectful when people just ruin matches by taunting and self-destructing just because they don't like fighting a certain character, and then they stay on and pick a character that has a good match-up against said character, most of the time I win anyway because most people think that camping is the best DHD strategy, when it's one of the worst so they're thrown off by the playstyle. Because of this I immediately leave the game if someone just suicides and taunts constantly.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
FALCON KICK
FALCON KICK
FALCON KICK
PAAAUUNNCH!!! YES!

Annoys me. These people are easy to punish but spamming is disrespectful in my opinion.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
When People switch to the characters I use just to say they're better than me.
Yess. This. I don't care if they taunt -- I'd do it too if they did.

I have a personal story of this experience. I was playing Robin and this guy was beating me. Soon, he chose Robin just to humiliate me, but I chose Dr. Mario for that match just because and I thought it was quite funny how by coincidence, I did not give him a chance to beat me as my best character with my best character.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Evaders. Not simple evading tactics but simply staying completely away while dowsing projectiles across the stage. Never intersecting, never making contact (unless you get too close), never interacting with their opponent. Just. Simply. Being. A. ******.

That and rage quiters. If you can't take a loss, don't play a game.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I hate it when people bail after just barely beating me in a single match. I think it's the most disrespectful thing ever. If you're not man (woman) enough to face me again for a 2/3, then you don't deserve to call yourself a "winner".

Also some people are complaining about counter-picks, but if some one goes Yoshi, or Rosalina after a match or two I'm like "hey, he has to pull out the big guns."

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
I hate it when people bail after just barely beating me in a single match. I think it's the most disrespectful thing ever. If you're not man (woman) enough to face me again for a 2/3, then you don't deserve to call yourself a "winner".

Also some people are complaining about counter-picks, but if some one goes Yoshi, or Rosalina after a match or two I'm like "hey, he has to pull out the big guns."
I always see people who I beat game one immediately switch to Little Mac.

L@ST_Dinosaur

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3737-9522-1118
People who play captain falcon, and DON'T taunt at the beginning of the match, come on man, be classy.

otter

Smash Ace
Using online shenanigans such as using an unsafe attack and then mashing jab hoping the lag will save you from the punish. I don't really get mad because it locks you into only being good online, but it's also a waste of my time to play a match that would have different results offline.

NNID
TheBeardalls
3DS FC
3539-9009-9936
When I'm playing against players who are better than me or on the same level as I am, I can agree that I will win some and lose a lot. And it's fun! But I absolutely hate it when players play a character they know nothing about, if you're unsure about how you're going to use a specific character then I suggest playing a normal match against lvl7 and above to improve your skills both with that character, and overall. It's absolutely disgraceful to beat someone who cannot play any of the characters they use, and I feel bad for beating them.

That said, I really, really, really want to play against two players again. Somebody named C3P0 and someone named Tintin. They know their stuff when it comes to this game.

Last edited:

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
Wario as a character...is just huge disrespect lol. He is just disgusting and his attacks all look like he's taking a cheap shot. Especially that taunt when he shakes his butt, mad disrespect everytime I see it. I've run into some people who spam the motorbike back and forth, making the match four times more longer than it actually should be. Actually, the only Wario players I've met online like to try spammy gimmicks to win.

And it sucks that those online auotomatically think I'm trying to grab wins when I switch to Little Mac. Little Mac is truly my secondary main, but people go crazy when I make the switch and show mad disrespect if they win, only because they thought I am using Little Mac to destroy their souls. I just want to play Mac guys...

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
There aren't a lot of things I find disrespectful in a game where you're supposed to beat the crap out of people. The only thing I think is explicitly disrespectful is when you taunt at the beginning of a match so I'll taunt back, then run up and start attacking me while I'm doing so. It's kinda clever but still

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
When someone accidentally kill themselves so I do as well out of respect and they taunt. Extra disrespect points if it's Dark Pit. That goddamn deviantart recolor.

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
There aren't a lot of things I find disrespectful in a game where you're supposed to beat the crap out of people. The only thing I think is explicitly disrespectful is when you taunt at the beginning of a match so I'll taunt back, then run up and start attacking me while I'm doing so. It's kinda clever but still
It just shows that they're desperate

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
It just shows that they're desperate
I've noticed that most American players seem desperate to win so they will do a lot of things to try to get the upper hand whether it is cheap or not. I'm not trying to make American players look bad, I am one anyways,but the majority of us are not exactly the most noble players.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I hate when people don`t even try to fight back anymore or dont learn from their mistakes, like they`ve given up already without even finishing what they started. I fought one guy locally today and after losing a couple of matches he starts spamming Palutena`s Angelic Missile, every time he did so I shielded and punished him yet he kept doing that again and again. Then he runs to grab the ledge off stage in an attempt to throw me off by doing the ledge atttack, I simply shield and punish, and yet again he does the same thing like if I some kind of moron who might fall for that oif he keeps doing it several times.
It wasnt fun beating him up, there was no satisfaction and it was a waste of my time. If he was relunctant to play because he dislikes losing so much then he should have said no from the beginning rather than wasting my time.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I've noticed that most American players seem desperate to win so they will do a lot of things to try to get the upper hand whether it is cheap or not. I'm not trying to make American players look bad, I am one anyways,but the majority of us are not exactly the most noble players.
Well, which American's are we referring to? South Americans, or North Americans?

Also yeah, I have experienced several people from NA that were just... spamming. Whether it be spam grab, or projectiles. (Mostly Projectiles.) I am too, from NA, so it makes me even more sad at how low some people will stoop just to win in a video game.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
2 things i find disrespectful is

1: taunting after your opponent SD's.

2: spiking the opponent when they are in the helpless state and in no way are going to get back to the ledge.

really everything else is meh to me. but when you chase someone down who has already lost, (see no. 2) it's just unnecessary and rude.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
2 things i find disrespectful is

1: taunting after your opponent SD's.

2: spiking the opponent when they are in the helpless state and in no way are going to get back to the ledge.

really everything else is meh to me. but when you chase someone down who has already lost, (see no. 2) it's just unnecessary and rude.
By number 2 do you mean like the person who is falling can literally do nothing but fall? Cause I see that as finishing a match faster or just to say, "DIE FASTER." But I can see it being fairly disrespectful... Although can't say I've encountered it personally.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
By number 2 do you mean like the person who is falling can literally do nothing but fall? Cause I see that as finishing a match faster or just to say, "DIE FASTER." But I can see it being fairly disrespectful... Although can't say I've encountered it personally.
When people have the same avatar as me... jk lmao

I hate when poeople bowserside on both our last stocks. Escpecially If they're like at over 100% and you just freshly respawned, Like really dude, really? Very cheap in my opinion.

Last edited:

asevengodie

Smash Rookie
I've been through a lot in this game,

and let me tell you what it truly means to be disrespectful.

We had a match, player beats the hell out of me, still has 3 stocks, I only have one stock with over 70%.
I go into defense mode with Toon Link, player edge guards the hell out of me with his 3stock 0% and my 1 stock 70%.
And I try to survive to the edge for over 5 minutes, and the player is standing there pushing me away with Quajutsu's splash, edgeuarding me as if he is about to die if I get on stage.
A respectful match is to give your opponent a final chance to get on the stage and fight, what do you have to lose with your 0% and my 70%. Give me a chance defeat me with respect instead of mocking me on the edge until I get frustrated and SD.

(It started with me up B with Toon link so he caught me off-guard and pushed me back all the time,
The edgeguard happened with the player using Quajutsu and splashing water on me diagonally upwards, keep pushing me back from the edge. And I kept trying to get back to the stage, but he repeated his actions until I just got tired of it.
it was funny at first but then it became a nightmare, kept going on for minutes.
I tried, I struggled, but got humiliated me into an SD)

And then-------he taunted.

That, is my friends, how you become disrespectful.
(Don't do this to anybody)

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
People who don't approach and some how end up winning the match. Reverse Falcon Punches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom