• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things about your character you want changed, and things you wish to keep the same?

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
What Irks you about your character that you desperately want changed? Do they not represent your character fairly? Is there moveset incomplete or lacking?
Do they have a mechanic that you deem unnecessary? Anything goes! Due to the negative nature of this thread, users may get angry. As always, respect each other’s opinions and don’t main bash. Its not nice!

Hero’s reliance on MP and menu. It feels as if it exists only as a way to balance menu, which I already feel hurts the character in a lot of other ways. His slow air mobility, poor frame data, and MP all stem from the fact that menu even exists. Not only do I think that menu is already far too over bearing in his kit, The language barrier issue means that I can’t play with Japanese voices because I would have to learn Japanese just to read the menu. If menu was removed, he would no longer be burdened with so many glaring issues. I do love it when I have hero in casual item parties though, insanely fun.

I would like his Forward tilt and up tilt to stay. They are very expressive and fun attacks to use, and feel satisfying to use.They have specific uses in their kit that arent too specialized, but not too general. Up tilt is a general kill move and is a fantastic anti-air. It’s noticeable ending lag makes it less likely to be spammed, and means that you have to pick and choose when to use it. F-tilt is a good way to whiff punish and punish over aggression due to the first having invincibility. It has good range, and an incredibly expressive animation. Its endlag means that using it too often will get you punished, and your not able to abuse its invincibility in the way that Palutena’s dash attack can.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would like the vast majority of moves on the 64-Melee veterans to stay the same while changing 2-4 moves on them if at all. Most of them have good portrayals to begin with, but a few of them are outdated to varying degrees.

As for the specifics:
  • :ultmario:: Ditch FLUDD, make Down-B Ground Pound, make down-air Goomba Stomp, make Side-B something akin to Mario Tornado/Spin while keeping its reflective properties.
  • :ultlink:: I would prefer that they revert him to a composite of OoT and TP Link while leaving the BotW-based Link as an echo. Either that or leave BotW Link as the base Link while having OoT/TP Link as an echo. Both work.
  • :ultsamus:: Change up-tilt to the Melee Counter, change F-Smash's tip explosion to a longer-ranged blast (but not a projectile), change F-air and U-air into short-range barrages of pseudo-projectiles, give Dash Attack an electric effect and flashier VFX so that it resembles the Shinespark more.
  • :ultjigglypuff:: MAKE. REST. HEAL.
  • :ultbowser:: Allow a Fire Breath option where if you hold it down, it is the short-range stream, but if tapped, it becomes a long-range fireball. I would also like him to be reverted to his Melee/Brawl animations, but I acknowledge that isn't likely to happen.
  • :ultsheik:: Give her a harp taunt.
  • :ultzelda:: Turn her F-Smash and maybe U-Smash into a projectile normal Light Arrow shot.
  • :ultganondorf:: Turn U-air and B-air into sword aerials. Give Warlock Punch a "tap" version where it can both reflect projectiles and start combos.

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
:ultyounglink:: Deku Shield burns away when hit with fire attacks, but then he pulls out the Hylian (or maybe Hero’s) Shield, which gives him a permanent shield, but also increases his weight, and all the things that come with that, like being slower, because steel is heavier than feathers wood.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
:ultjoker: : Make his jab connect better. Look, I know he's a contender for best in the game, but I would still greatly appreciate my jab not being so easy to fall out of. Keep everything else the same.

:ultincineroar: : Same jab fix as Joker. I think I'd also make Alolan Whip travel a bit further, to not only aid in recovery, but also make it a little easier to land. This is the character I've studied the most, and whether it's me playing him, or someone else, Alolan Whip just feels so easy to whiff. I'm tempted to also choose the classic "give him more speed" here, but I'm hesitant on that if we're already making Whip better. I guess I'd say see how the Whip change goes first. Everything else can stay the same.

:ultmewtwo: : Drives me crazy how often Mewtwo's bair gets beaten out because of the tail hurtbox. Either reduce the tail hurtbox again, or give tail moves some armor on them. Move the tail into the z-axis during Mewtwo's dashback so that dashing back doesn't screw him over. Keep everything else the same.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
:ultyounglink:: Deku Shield burns away when hit with fire attacks, but then he pulls out the Hylian (or maybe Hero’s) Shield, which gives him a permanent shield, but also increases his weight, and all the things that come with that, like being slower, because steel is heavier than feathers wood.
A kilogram of steel, or a kilogram of feathers. That’s right, a kilo gram of steel.

cool idea

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
BTW, I hate Link’s fair. It needs to be used as a read, or else your not getting the kill. Plus, it has some consistency issues when at max range, so sometimes small opponents like the rats and Squirtle fall out of it. Y’all thought Snake’s Dair had issues? Try hitting Link’s fair against Pichu.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I would like the vast majority of moves on the 64-Melee veterans to stay the same while changing 2-4 moves on them if at all. Most of them have good portrayals to begin with, but a few of them are outdated to varying degrees.

As for the specifics:
  • :ultmario:: Ditch FLUDD, make Down-B Ground Pound, make down-air Goomba Stomp, make Side-B something akin to Mario Tornado/Spin while keeping its reflective properties.
  • :ultlink:: I would prefer that they revert him to a composite of OoT and TP Link while leaving the BotW-based Link as an echo. Either that or leave BotW Link as the base Link while having OoT/TP Link as an echo. Both work.
  • :ultsamus:: Change up-tilt to the Melee Counter, change F-Smash's tip explosion to a longer-ranged blast (but not a projectile), change F-air and U-air into short-range barrages of pseudo-projectiles, give Dash Attack an electric effect and flashier VFX so that it resembles the Shinespark more.
  • :ultjigglypuff:: MAKE. REST. HEAL.
  • :ultbowser:: Allow a Fire Breath option where if you hold it down, it is the short-range stream, but if tapped, it becomes a long-range fireball. I would also like him to be reverted to his Melee/Brawl animations, but I acknowledge that isn't likely to happen.
  • :ultsheik:: Give her a harp taunt.
  • :ultzelda:: Turn her F-Smash and maybe U-Smash into a projectile normal Light Arrow shot.
  • :ultganondorf:: Turn U-air and B-air into sword aerials. Give Warlock Punch a "tap" version where it can both reflect projectiles and start combos.
Warlock punch tappped is Dead mans volley, Warlock punch is when its held. Also... make him hold his sword on his back. It disappearing and reappearing is very jarring.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
In terms of short-term changes, I hope they buff Bowser's Up B to make it kill more reliably off the top. Lessening the cooldown time on fire breath would also be nice.
For long-term changes, I really hope Sonic gets some more expressive facial animations, Ganondorf gets a Dead Man's Volley Neutral B, black Yoshi returns and Mega Man gets a Copy Robot alt.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Warlock punch tappped is Dead mans volley, Warlock punch is when its held. Also... make him hold his sword on his back. It disappearing and reappearing is very jarring.
If Ganondorf held the sword on his back, it would be even more awkward as he would either have to pull it off of his back or the sword would just teleport to his hand for his sword attacks.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
If Ganondorf held the sword on his back, it would be even more awkward as he would either have to pull it off of his back or the sword would just teleport to his hand for his sword attacks.
Maybe have it on his hip and the startup animation would show him pulling it out? They could make it TP to his hand by just using the generic darkness effect as well, implying that the Sword isn’t physical, but rather a weapon created from pure dark magic that he wields simply to be cruel.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
The one thing that comes to mind for banjo is it would have been cool to see some of the other eggs type implemented in the moveset, maybe through switching egg types for a general egg attack.

uptonogood

Smash Cadet
I made two new movesets for Samus, one based specifically on Dread while the other one takes inspiration from multiple games. Both movesets keep some of Samus' old attacks that I felt were fine but I made an effort to replace moves that I felt were out of character or were just plain outdated.
Dread Moveset: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RDlfGvpDMkV7JIoh5-MAsb92tkV4SQyYn3ouzTWlenY/edit?usp=sharing
General Moveset: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17GkyxbVDqYrjBDo28Mqj38MeZtAqoCWaLE8Q7oBqvLY/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Just let DK, Diddy, K. Rool, and Bowser have their canon voices, please...if absolutely nothing else is changed, I'd really like for it to be this.

As far as my mains go, I honestly feel like they're all pretty good the way they are. K. Rool especially feels perfect to me...

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just let DK, Diddy, K. Rool, and Bowser have their canon voices, please...if absolutely nothing else is changed, I'd really like for it to be this.

As far as my mains go, I honestly feel like they're all pretty good the way they are. K. Rool especially feels perfect to me...
K. Rool doesn't have a canon voice though.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I wish Chrom had a horizontal recovery Side Special, like the stab attack he uses in a cutscene against "Marth" or a spear stab he uses when equiped with one.

Also wish we could use the D-Pad for movement because it's the only way I could actually play well as Kazuya :roll:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I wish Chrom had a horizontal recovery Side Special, like the stab attack he uses in a cutscene against "Marth" or a spear stab he uses when equiped with one.
Here was my idea:

Luna / Sol; Chrom charges a dashing slash that takes him a small distance. Luna, activated before the full charge, simply launches the opponent forward. Sol, activated at full charge, launches the opponent high upwards. Letting go of B right when the tip of Falchion flashes restores damage equal to half the amount of damage done to the opponent.

Top Bottom