• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theytah's Mod School!

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
Great guides Theytah! I'd like to start getting into making textures for Brawl and my question to you is exactly where do I begin? I'm not even sure how to perform simple recolors of in game textures. If you could link me to a guide that'd explain the process, that'd be wonderful. I'm planning on making a Volkner (Pokemon Gym Leader) styled Lucas to complement a Heart gold Ness texture I got from the vault. Any advice is much appreciated.

EDIT: Learned the recolor process, took some common sense. My new question is, how would I go about giving Lucas pants and a jacket?

Last edited:

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
How do I add a .pac to Costume Manager? I drag the pac file onto the model viewer, and where it says (Fit____07)

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Hey theytah! Do you think you could make or direct me to a tutorial on effects like rim lighting? I'm working on a smash3 style texture and the lighting is a vital ingredient to the overall product.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Great guides Theytah! I'd like to start getting into making textures for Brawl and my question to you is exactly where do I begin? I'm not even sure how to perform simple recolors of in game textures. If you could link me to a guide that'd explain the process, that'd be wonderful. I'm planning on making a Volkner (Pokemon Gym Leader) styled Lucas to complement a Heart gold Ness texture I got from the vault. Any advice is much appreciated.

EDIT: Learned the recolor process, took some common sense. My new question is, how would I go about giving Lucas pants and a jacket?
That's model editing, which would be done in 3ds max once you export lucas's model from brawlbox, I'm getting to making a tutorial for that

Hey theytah! Do you think you could make or direct me to a tutorial on effects like rim lighting? I'm working on a smash3 style texture and the lighting is a vital ingredient to the overall product.
Sure, that's REALLY easy, lol.

Last edited:

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
That's model editing, which would be done in 3ds max once you export lucas's model from brawlbox, I'm getting to making a tutorial for that
Hmm I see. Are there any guides/tuts you can refer to me for the moment?

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
If a character skin doesn't have metal textures in their model, then they wont show up.
I've been meaning to thank you for your help; it gave me the idea to do some swapping between a few colors and normals files between the models, and after a few more tests, I got seemingly flawless metal textures. I think it's only fair that I share what you helped me accomplish, so here it is:

This is the original Link model that I was trying to edit:

The boots are actually two different sets of polygons, which caused the issue with the metal textures.

And here is the final edited version with working metal textures:

Thanks again for your help :D

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
Hey Theytah, do you happen to have any advice when dealing with Mario? I understand that they're different types of faces and characters like Ivysaur and Kirby can be quite easy to work with (Been practicing with them haha) but the faces on Mario can be quite a pickle, I was wondering if you're going to do a tutorial with the different kinds of faces with characters like Mario, Zelda etc? (that or I may be completely missing something obvious in what I'm doing) cause I end up with multiple faces of Mario blending in whenever I try modding.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Hey Theytah, do you happen to have any advice when dealing with Mario? I understand that they're different types of faces and characters like Ivysaur and Kirby can be quite easy to work with (Been practicing with them haha) but the faces on Mario can be quite a pickle, I was wondering if you're going to do a tutorial with the different kinds of faces with characters like Mario, Zelda etc? (that or I may be completely missing something obvious in what I'm doing) cause I end up with multiple faces of Mario blending in whenever I try modding.
You need to compare your edited model to the original in brawlbox and make sure that all the objects have the same visibility bones and shader/material sets.

MagicManNo9

You need to compare your edited model to the original in brawlbox and make sure that all the objects have the same visibility bones and shader/material sets.
Ohhh right, will triple check what I got, (I had a feeling it was that) will let you know how it goes thanks!

MagicManNo9

Dat feeling when I finally got it perfectly right~ Thank you so much man! I had a couple of tiny mistakes first time round so that's why it glitched up, and after doing exactly what you said (and referencing back on the stream) I did it! I'm so happy right now ;-; Thank you a thousand times and more!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Dat feeling when I finally got it perfectly right~ Thank you so much man! I had a couple of tiny mistakes first time round so that's why it glitched up, and after doing exactly what you said (and referencing back on the stream) I did it! I'm so happy right now ;-; Thank you a thousand times and more!
what are you making

I NEED TO KNOW

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
You have two options, either try this:
Have the Project M files on the SD card, turn Ocarina cheats on, and hooktype VBI.

Make sure the usb is formatted to FAT32 32KB clusters. Convert the iso into a wbfs file then copy the folder into /wbfs on the usb.
So I tried that (I put the PM files on the SD, turned on Hooktype VBI and Ocarina cheats on both USB Loader and the Gecko SD thingamajig because I didn't know which one I was supposed to do it on), and tried to boot PM up like I would if I was actually running it from a disk and it did nothing... So what do I do now?

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
So I tried that (I put the PM files on the SD, turned on Hooktype VBI and Ocarina cheats on both USB Loader and the Gecko SD thingamajig because I didn't know which one I was supposed to do it on), and tried to boot PM up like I would if I was actually running it from a disk and it did nothing... So what do I do now?
Why not just use the PM ISO?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Why not just use the PM ISO?
1. I couldn't find it (I might be blind, but I couldn't find it in the OP of this thread)
2. It would take forever to download (I have REALLY bad internet speed).

But if you can direct me to it, I can have my friend download it for me (I need it VERY soon).

@ Ryztiq Ryztiq , how do you convert ISOs into WBFSs?

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

I got a question, in regards to UV mapping, is it possible to increase the texture size? Like, Link OOT costume's texture is quite large in comparison to some others, or would it not be recommended due to trying to run it on the Wii as opposed to Dolphin?

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
I got a question, in regards to UV mapping, is it possible to increase the texture size? Like, Link OOT costume's texture is quite large in comparison to some others, or would it not be recommended due to trying to run it on the Wii as opposed to Dolphin?
you cant go over 1024x resolution for textures

MagicManNo9

Got another question, sometimes when I'm opening the .dae file in 3DS max, sometimes some of the textures don't load or rather, can't find it but loads other textures perfectly fine, they're all in the default folder, just wondering why and how?

EDIT: Actually also to add, is there a way to re-load the textures manually if this happens? It's a really weird occurrence that happens to a couple of models and happens randomly.

UPDATE: Don't worry! I solved it! Was quite simple in the end!

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Theytah, do you know of any decent texture tutorials from an art class perspective? I'm really keen on making models and texturing them well in the future, but for now I'm still wandering around like a stray dog without tags whenever I start a project. I can lay down a base color, but I still am inept at giving it the appropriate lighting and blends to make anything look natural. :/

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi I'm just wondering if it's possible to change a character's FitChar to a second one or something along these lines with a taunt. Basically the idea is to enable the infinite sword glow I have in another FitChar pack (identical to the original aside from the GFX) by taunting. Is this similar to Ganon having his sword out indefinitely on taunt from the Ganon sword pack? Thanks.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Hi I'm just wondering if it's possible to change a character's FitChar to a second one or something along these lines with a taunt. Basically the idea is to enable the infinite sword glow I have in another FitChar pack (identical to the original aside from the GFX) by taunting. Is this similar to Ganon having his sword out indefinitely on taunt from the Ganon sword pack? Thanks.
PSA and other move set stuff is magic to me at the moment, so sadly I can't be of use :( However I'm pretty sure that fitchar.pac files cant reference outside files, such as swapping.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I guess this is more of an open question for all then. How does Ganon keep his sword out on taunt? Because I want a toggle GFX by taunt on/off.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Theytah, do you know of any decent texture tutorials from an art class perspective? I'm really keen on making models and texturing them well in the future, but for now I'm still wandering around like a stray dog without tags whenever I start a project. I can lay down a base color, but I still am inept at giving it the appropriate lighting and blends to make anything look natural. :/
I never really used tutorials so I can't think of any, I'd just suggest google or watching people texture on streams.

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
How would I make it so that when I use Red Doctor Mario it doesn't use the Pill/Electric effects. I have a Paper Mario skin I want to use but I don't want to replace regular mario, but still use it in a team battle.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
One of the comments in the Project M Modding Tutorial: Characters, Stages, and Music video questioned being able to do everything without Dolphin. I didn't really understand your response, and I have everything downloaded. I really don't feel like stopping now, so could you please help me out?

Y-L

Smash Champion
One of the comments in the Project M Modding Tutorial: Characters, Stages, and Music video questioned being able to do everything without Dolphin. I didn't really understand your response, and I have everything downloaded. I really don't feel like stopping now, so could you please help me out?
You can mod without Dolphin.. but have fun loading up PM on your Wii every time you want to test your build. It's like 5 mins vs 30 seconds.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
Your ad for P:M online vs caught my attention, I'm going to download that and see if I can change models on P:M. Dumb question, but are the battles only 2 minute KO fests?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Your ad for P:M online vs caught my attention, I'm going to download that and see if I can change models on P:M. Dumb question, but are the battles only 2 minute KO fests?
1) You can't have a custom build playing online or you'll desync (we do have a community custom build and if you and your partner use it everything is ok)

2) Generally people play 4 stocks 8 minutes.

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
So I tried updating Costume Manager and downgrading, running both as admin and I STILL cannot drag .pac/.pcs files into the window. I've tried limiting the window, and I just don't know.

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
So I tried running my custom build today after tweaking some things(A list of what files are what teams for Roy would be useful, I learned.) and everytime I went into stage builder, it would work, but if I clicked play, it would A. Silent Freeze or B. Bring me back to brawl. I checked on my SD Card, and there's a file with an invalid name( USBC`ÿî[Insert Vertical Black and White Japanese Flag].[Invalid format?] )and I can't rename it because it's either too long(d, ddd, just trying to rename it in general) and I can't delete it for the same reason. Help?
Edit: Image for clarification, it's in the projectm folder.

EDIT 2:I fixed it by reformatting my SD Card.

Last edited:
Top Bottom