• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theytah's Mod School!

Y-L

Smash Champion
This is exactly what I did. I took his full build and injected into an SD card and loaded - works. Then I try to replace one of the files and it doesn't work.

I remade the SD and injected the full build with the mods I wanted, and it didn't work. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm sure once its figured out I will be good from here on out.

To give some more info to help solve this issue:

- Project M: Patt Edition loads / works perfectly fine
- When attempting to make a change, I use WinImage to replace a file in the SD card that works, and I hit save
- Try to load the game with the change - Doesn't work! - loads Gecko / original Brawl.iso
- Revert to the SD card before the change - works!

What am I missing, this is driving me nuts lol
What does gecko say before it loads brawl? Also what else did you try to mod?

Kandata

Smash Rookie
It's just the gecko loading screen (it's green) says play game, config etc.

I tried to change out one of the models for a new model and I tried to change the background image (followed the tutorial videos to do this.)

Maybe it's something in the process to get it working that I went wrong?

I originally downloaded Project M. Once that was working, I downloaded the SD card for Project M: Patt edition and replaced the SD card in the dolphin folder (users\wii) and then Project M: Patt Edition was loading.

Now I'm trying to modify the Project M: Patt Edition SD card but any changes result in brawl just loading

Last edited:

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
I'm using the hackless wii method for Patt Edition PM and I want to replace some of the music with other already-existing music in the game. What's the easiest way to perform this task? I'm wondering if patt edition has some music issues because a text note shows that some songs were replaced with the same song, such as all of the metal cavern stage music being replaced with the metal cavern theme. Does that mean Patt Edition removed these songs entirely or can I get them back?

Y-L

Smash Champion
It's just the gecko loading screen (it's green) says play game, config etc.

I tried to change out one of the models for a new model and I tried to change the background image (followed the tutorial videos to do this.)

Maybe it's something in the process to get it working that I went wrong?

I originally downloaded Project M. Once that was working, I downloaded the SD card for Project M: Patt edition and replaced the SD card in the dolphin folder (users\wii) and then Project M: Patt Edition was loading.

Now I'm trying to modify the Project M: Patt Edition SD card but any changes result in brawl just loading
I meant what does it say when you press start game it should say something right before the game loads (I.e. codes found.. applying)

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm using the hackless wii method for Patt Edition PM and I want to replace some of the music with other already-existing music in the game. What's the easiest way to perform this task? I'm wondering if patt edition has some music issues because a text note shows that some songs were replaced with the same song, such as all of the metal cavern stage music being replaced with the metal cavern theme. Does that mean Patt Edition removed these songs entirely or can I get them back?
To replace songs you just find out what song ID you want to replace (I.e X05.brstm) and drop the .brstm file in projectm/pf/sound/strm. If you want a brawl song back, deleting them from the folder will restore them. For an already custom song like metal cavern, you can just grab that out of vanilla project m and replace the one he put in. To change song names, you modify info.pac and mu_menumain.pac. Try using brawl song manager, it makes everything a lot easier. Also there's a list of all the song id's somewhere but idr where.

Kandata

Smash Rookie
It doesn't say anything when loading, just goes straight from Gecko to Brawl - I checked a couple times to see if I was missing anything.

I just tried to replace one of the skins in the SD card and loading up, and it still loads brawl and not the mod =/

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
I'd reccomend googling the original songs and using the tutorial I posted in the OP of this thread to make them into BRSTM files, that way you can replace whatever you like.
This is exactly what I did. I took his full build and injected into an SD card and loaded - works. Then I try to replace one of the files and it doesn't work.

I remade the SD and injected the full build with the mods I wanted, and it didn't work. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm sure once its figured out I will be good from here on out.

To give some more info to help solve this issue:

- Project M: Patt Edition loads / works perfectly fine
- When attempting to make a change, I use WinImage to replace a file in the SD card that works, and I hit save
- Try to load the game with the change - Doesn't work! - loads Gecko / original Brawl.iso
- Revert to the SD card before the change - works!

What am I missing, this is driving me nuts lol
If your virtual SD card goes over 1.81GB of files inside of it, the game will overload and load the default brawl files instead of yours. So make sure that you arent putting too much in, such as a lot of music.
Hey I have a problem that has kind of stumped me, and I'm hoping someone here could help out.

I'm trying to add skins to / modify the Project M: Patt Edition on Dolphin (PC).

The mod works perfectly fine, but when I take these following steps to change something, only Brawl loads:

1) Open Winimage
2) Open SD card in user\wii
3) Change out some files (for example, I initially wanted to just change out the background.png to see if it works)
4) Save
5) Load the game

What am I doing wrong and why is it that when I make a change, even when I follow the instructions from the "Character, Stage, and Sound Modding" video, when it loads it only loads up brawl and not the mod.

When I revert back to the SD card before any changes, it loads fine. What am I doing wrong?
Are you treating the virtual sd card like a real one? Make sure that you arent removing any files when you put new ones in.
I do believe you misunderstood me. I put the mod over the correct character, just not the way you did using all the applications.
So did you put the new motionetc.pac/fighter.pac and all skin files over the character you wanted to replace? If you forgot any of the three then it wont work.
Brawl for All crashes when I go to the stage select screen, I think there's too many stages. How do I remove stages?
How did you add stages in the first place?
Is there a way to edit the character select screen background ?? and the main menu background??
Yep, main menu files are in mu_menumain.pac and character select/map select is in common5.pac

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't it make more sense to just use the song files that are in the vanilla PM and switch them into Patt Edition? Why search online when the files are already in the other PM version? Is it too hard to switch them in?

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
I'd reccomend googling the original songs and using the tutorial I posted in the OP of this thread to make them into BRSTM files, that way you can replace whatever you like.

If your virtual SD card goes over 1.81GB of files inside of it, the game will overload and load the default brawl files instead of yours. So make sure that you arent putting too much in, such as a lot of music.

Are you treating the virtual sd card like a real one? Make sure that you arent removing any files when you put new ones in.

So did you put the new motionetc.pac/fighter.pac and all skin files over the character you wanted to replace? If you forgot any of the three then it wont work.

How did you add stages in the first place?

Yep, main menu files are in mu_menumain.pac and character select/map select is in common5.pac
I didn't as they came in the Brawl for All pack, but I got it to work by deleting anything homebrew/bootmii and loading via homebrew

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Wouldn't it make more sense to just use the song files that are in the vanilla PM and switch them into Patt Edition? Why search online when the files are already in the other PM version? Is it too hard to switch them in?
If they're vanilla PM then yes, but all vanilla brawl songs arent actually in any build, they're just loaded from the disc as a default song.

Y-L

Smash Champion
What's the common5 limit? When it hits 4,890 KB my game freezes when I load CSS.

EDIT: I think it's the images for this stage.. I don't understand why they're making the game crash when they're all the right dimensions and small file sizes..

EDIT: Turns out it had nothing to do with file sizes it was the amount of unique colors that the random stage select image had. I guess cause I was replacing pictochat, an image with a small amount of colors, the game didn't like an image with a normal amount of colors. Decreasing the saturation fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Kandata

Smash Rookie
When I add a new model to overwrite FitMarth00.pcs it shows up and works fine in game.

However, when I try to add a different model into FitMarth01-06.pcs the game crashes when hovering over the model. It seems like I can put any costume into FitMarth00.pcs but as soon as I try to overwrite any of the other models, the problem occurs... thoughts?

I think it could have something to do with the top dropdown menu saying FitMarth00.pcs instead of something else for all the costumes and the game is loading both models and crashing? But it won't let me edit it. Not too sure.

Last edited:

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
When I add a new model to overwrite FitMarth00.pcs it shows up and works fine in game.

However, when I try to add a different model into FitMarth01-06.pcs the game crashes when hovering over the model. It seems like I can put any costume into FitMarth00.pcs but as soon as I try to overwrite any of the other models, the problem occurs... thoughts?

I think it could have something to do with the top dropdown menu saying FitMarth00.pcs instead of something else for all the costumes and the game is loading both models and crashing? But it won't let me edit it. Not too sure.
Are you adding costumes manually or with a manager?
What's the common5 limit? When it hits 4,890 KB my game freezes when I load CSS.

EDIT: I think it's the images for this stage.. I don't understand why they're making the game crash when they're all the right dimensions and small file sizes..

EDIT: Turns out it had nothing to do with file sizes it was the amount of unique colors that the random stage select image had. I guess cause I was replacing pictochat, an image with a small amount of colors, the game didn't like an image with a normal amount of colors. Decreasing the saturation fixed the issue.
Common5's filesize limit is 1214283 bytes of data, to be exact.

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
So I was working on a set of skins, using http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=36199 Brown Red Orange mario as a base, I've been going into paint.net, sepia toning the image, then setting the Hue to 100 and saturation to 200. The Body B texture looks like this: http://imgur.com/a/znNGK#3 but when I look at it in brawlbox, it looks like this http://imgur.com/a/znNGK#0 (Note, Body A texture has the same filters applyed, but it's fine.) Here's a mockup of what it should look like http://imgur.com/a/znNGK#2 What is making it look like that?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is there a way to give Skyloft and Training room an icon in My Music? I started using stage expansion and now they show up as X's in my music. I know it's because they only have one song.

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
This is a really random thing I wanted to ask but in stage selection, from what I understand that the MenSelmapPrevbase can be set to a certain size, so I made a bunch of stages with size 160x160 but is it true that having too many graphics on the screen will crash it? I've have two instances where one MenSelmapPrevbase at size 160 crashed but when I resized down to 50 is works, is there a recommended size or condition to why this happens?

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
So I'm trying to edit MenSelchrFaceI_TopN to be a rectangle, instead of having the corners missing. I figured out how to move the vertices in BrawlBox, but I can't figure out how to change the texture UVs, so the character selection icon is rectangular but the texture is distorted.

Is there a way to edit the UVs in BrawlBox, or do I need to export and use another program?

EDIT: I figured out a way to do this, by exporting the UVs as a raw data file, hex editing the file, and then replacing it with the edited file. Though BrawlBox didn't show the changes from the replacement until it was restarted.

Last edited:

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
I have found an issue with something. Just a small bug, but I edited ONLY costumes, and when me and my friend decided to play on Big Blue, it froze on "Ready to Fight!" We thought, "Oh well we were playing for 3 hours. That must be the reason why!" But no, it froze again at the same part after starting it up again. Any thoughts as to why anyone?

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Hey Theytah. Is it possible to edit the metal texture for characters? I wanted to change Peach's to from silver to pink gold.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Can anyone explain why when I combine these two models
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=204577
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=23884
The face texture for Waluigi is all distorted when I get in game? I only edited the textures and vertexed the models a bit.
The textures look fine in BrawlBox but in game, only the actual Waluigi parts spaz out.
Here's how it looks like in brawl box:http://i.imgur.com/PREkCpD.png
I can post a link to the pac and pcs files if necessary.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
I see that this thread is still alive, roughly.

Spammed Question of Mine:
Is it possible to add parrying (like from 3rd strike), multi-rolling (rolling 2-3 times from a single shield), and rolling off ledges at will?

I'd also like to make a whole new character (the Prince of Persia, since he was in Nintendo at least once, like Snake XD), but that's another story for another time, I suppose.

I'm just not sure where to start to tinker with these ideas...

Thank You, and especially thanks to TheytahK.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

No idea what parrying is, or what you mean by multi roll..

But for off edge you could take a look at dk and Kirby dash attacks and see what allows them to continue off edges and see if you can add that to a roll

Y-L

Smash Champion
So I'm trying to have '20XX' written on the back of melee Fox's jacket. I did this and it reflects to the other side. Is there any way I can have it written on the back without reflection?

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
So I'm trying to have '20XX' written on the back of melee Fox's jacket. I did this and it reflects to the other side. Is there any way I can have it written on the back without reflection?

Possibly make a new texture called coatback or something, and copy an unmodified version of the coat back, mirror over to other side, swap UVs, and then try

Y-L

Smash Champion
Possibly make a new texture called coatback or something, and copy an unmodified version of the coat back, mirror over to other side, swap UVs, and then try
Sorry I'm new to modifying textures this is literally my first attempt.. Could you explain more in depth?

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I'm new to modifying textures this is literally my first attempt.. Could you explain more in depth?
export the melee fox texture as a .png, cut out the coat back area(Where you wrote 20XX) and put it on a new .png. Double the width on the new .png, and paste a mirrored version of the coatback that you just cut out. Save that file as "coatback.png" or something else like that. then right click on the texture data and import a texture. Import the new coatback.png you just made. Then mess about with the UVs(I don't know how to do this part) so that instead of using the texture it's currently using, it will use Coatback.png Try adding the 20XX onto it and see if it works.

Wailord40

Smash Rookie
I'm interested in changing some movesets around and I was wondering if it was possible to change the moveset of a single alternate costume without changing the entire character, like if I wanted to give a Cloud Strife over Ike reskin a unique moveset but not Ike himself. I don't use a manager i just switch out files. Thanks

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm interested in changing some movesets around and I was wondering if it was possible to change the moveset of a single alternate costume without changing the entire character, like if I wanted to give a Cloud Strife over Ike reskin a unique moveset but not Ike himself. I don't use a manager i just switch out files. Thanks
You can't do that.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks for the help, I have one more question before I stop bothering you lol. Can I replace someone, say ness, with a cloud-over-ike skin/moveset?
Not sure really but I'm pretty sure you can't just throw movesets over any character. I know for a fact you can't add a projectile to a character without one already so that leads me to believe that the moveset has to be designed for a certain character.

Wailord40

Smash Rookie
Not sure really but I'm pretty sure you can't just throw movesets over any character. I know for a fact you can't add a projectile to a character without one already so that leads me to believe that the moveset has to be designed for a certain character.
ok thanks for the help!

Master Protocol

Smash Cadet
okay so I'm trying to download Brawlex Mugen onto my SD card, but everytime I try to move the private folder over, it says I don't have enough free space....There's nothing on my SD card! What can I do to fix this!?

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
okay so I'm trying to download Brawlex Mugen onto my SD card, but everytime I try to move the private folder over, it says I don't have enough free space....There's nothing on my SD card! What can I do to fix this!?
Delete Music. I had to delete some music to get Patt's Build working, so maybe music's the issue for Brawlex

Top Bottom