• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theytah's Mod School!

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
So is there actually a way to add a sound effect to when you ban a stage?

Also I was using your tutorial to make my own CSP's, however I'm not sure how to go about this specific model. Basically it's a new model with several different colours and I want to make sure they're all in the exact same pose. Any tips? This is the mod for reference: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=30821
Id reccomend using photoshop to edit the first image so it looks like the other colors.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Id reccomend using photoshop to edit the first image so it looks like the other colors.
Appreciate that thanks. Also kind of urgent, but I changed a couple costumes and they're making my game crash, is there an easy way to revert this other than a complete re-install?

Song_

Smash Cadet
what is the best way to edit a skin without changing the model

I'm trying to make custom skins with embelems for my local scene

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
What's the reason for crashing at the PM loading screen? I added a bunch of costumes and they all worked, then I changed a couple CSP's and it's just stuck there and extremely annoying.

EDIT: Nvm I just re-did everything, must've been a corrupted file or something.

Last edited:

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
What's the reason for crashing at the PM loading screen? I added a bunch of costumes and they all worked, then I changed a couple CSP's and it's just stuck there and extremely annoying.

EDIT: Nvm I just re-did everything, must've been a corrupted file or something.
Make sure the format is the same as the old CSP files and they're not too big

what is the best way to edit a skin without changing the model

I'm trying to make custom skins with embelems for my local scene

Texture/material editing is the only way you can really mod a costume without editing anything physical in the model.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Having trouble with this, so I'm wondering if you could walk me through it.

If I wanted to make is so Kirby changes colors during certain Copy Abilities, how would I go about merging his original model and the ability? The abilities that actually change Kirby's model, such as Snake and Jigglypuff, have the hat and character model combined. If I wanted to, say, make Kirby turn blue once he eats the Ice Climbers. How would I merge the models and apply them so that when Kirby eats the Ice Climbers, it loads a new model?

Or, if possible, when Kirby eats a certain character it just swaps out his model textures somehow. I dunno.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Having trouble with this, so I'm wondering if you could walk me through it.

If I wanted to make is so Kirby changes colors during certain Copy Abilities, how would I go about merging his original model and the ability? The abilities that actually change Kirby's model, such as Snake and Jigglypuff, have the hat and character model combined. If I wanted to, say, make Kirby turn blue once he eats the Ice Climbers. How would I merge the models and apply them so that when Kirby eats the Ice Climbers, it loads a new model?

Or, if possible, when Kirby eats a certain character it just swaps out his model textures somehow. I dunno.
for the hats that dont change his base model, you'd most likely need to change the code so that his main model doesn't show when he's wearing hats. But you could also try editing the hat model in 3ds max and adding his main body model to them so that it'd just go over his main model. Both of them would require some experience and time, as kirby's files are really annoying and complicated.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Alright, thanks.

Two other things, if that's okay!

1. PAT0 Animation reverting?
This is really odd, and pretty annoying. I have an animation file for one of Kirby's Copy Abilities. When I try to edit the PAT0 animation for his mouth and save the file, it reverts itself to whatever his eye texture is set to. Such as, if I edit KbMouthNormal.3 to KbMouthNormal.5, once I save it, it'll change to KbEyeNormal.1 (or whatever the eye texture is set as). I tried deleting the old node and re-creating it instead of editing the existing one, but that crashes the game. I also tried deceiving the file by changing the eye to his mouth, saving that, then freezing the file once I re-set his eye back, but that crashes the game, too. Any way to fix this...?

2. Model swapping!
Basically, switching two of Kirby's Copy Ability hats with each other. Let's say I switched Marth and Mewtwo's Copy Ability hat model. The game just freezes instead of loading them, for obvious reasons (I think?). However, I can't find out what I should change to fix this. I've tried looking around, but can only find how to merge models, not swap them.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Alright, thanks.

Two other things, if that's okay!

1. PAT0 Animation reverting?
This is really odd, and pretty annoying. I have an animation file for one of Kirby's Copy Abilities. When I try to edit the PAT0 animation for his mouth and save the file, it reverts itself to whatever his eye texture is set to. Such as, if I edit KbMouthNormal.3 to KbMouthNormal.5, once I save it, it'll change to KbEyeNormal.1 (or whatever the eye texture is set as). I tried deleting the old node and re-creating it instead of editing the existing one, but that crashes the game. I also tried deceiving the file by changing the eye to his mouth, saving that, then freezing the file once I re-set his eye back, but that crashes the game, too. Any way to fix this...?

2. Model swapping!
Basically, switching two of Kirby's Copy Ability hats with each other. Let's say I switched Marth and Mewtwo's Copy Ability hat model. The game just freezes instead of loading them, for obvious reasons (I think?). However, I can't find out what I should change to fix this. I've tried looking around, but can only find how to merge models, not swap them.
1. I'd check which version of BB you're using. 0.71 is the safest version to edit files in.
2. Iirc hat models have different bones from eachother, so youd need a model editing program to properly swap them out.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
1. I'd check which version of BB you're using. 0.71 is the safest version to edit files in.
2. Iirc hat models have different bones from eachother, so youd need a model editing program to properly swap them out.
1. Yeah, I'm using 0.71. Not sure what's going on with it.

2. Alright, thanks!

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
When I try to update the stage pics sc_selcharacter 2 i get an error that wont let me update it. Any help?

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
How do you change the name of a skin? For example changing the name of a lucina skin to lucina instead of marth but keep the other marth skins named marth if that makes sense.

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
In the 3.5 homebrew file theres missing infface files how do i get all the files?

Last edited:

Jynx

Smash Cadet
How do I deal with the font transparency issues when creating new fonts for the menu + HUD during gameplay? This thread is super helpful!

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
How do I deal with the font transparency issues when creating new fonts for the menu + HUD during gameplay? This thread is super helpful!
Care to explain more on this?

In the 3.5 homebrew file theres missing infface files how do i get all the files?
You can find them in the resource section from brawlvault, brawl data partition 2

Also, just finished a new tutorial.

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
Care to explain more on this?

You can find them in the resource section from brawlvault, brawl data partition 2

Also, just finished a new tutorial.
Do i delete the files in the portrite files then drag the files from the portrite files from the data partition?

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Do i delete the files in the portrait files then drag the files from the portrait files from the data partition?
copy the portrait folder from the data partition to the portrait folder in your PM build, dont replace when asked.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Going to post some stuff after my tourney tomorrow, finally finished teaching myself shader stuff and got a material set that can use THREE seperate specmaps :grin:

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Do you have any general suggestions in the stage camera's STPM variables so I can make it more Melee than PM?

I was thinking which variables would give out more faster panning and zooming, I have no idea which ones and how much the values should be

Blueblue105

Smash Rookie
I looked at your how to combine models video and tried it out by equipping a roy model with Ike's Hector armor from project M. However, when I do this, Brawlbox crashes every time. What is it I'm doing wrong? If you want I could send you the PAC file so that you can look at it and see what the problem is.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
I looked at your how to combine models video and tried it out by equipping a roy model with Ike's Hector armor from project M. However, when I do this, Brawlbox crashes every time. What is it I'm doing wrong? If you want I could send you the PAC file so that you can look at it and see what the problem is.
the models need to be based on the same character.

Faty

Smash Rookie
Thanks a bunch for this guide! Very useful!

I have one question tho....... How do you add a picture on the Character select screen?
I found an Apex 2014 build somewhere some time ago, with their logo where the character slots for Player 2 & 3 are. As well as your "Theytah's build" with your logo in the same spot!

My team and I are hosting a PM tournament soon and thought it would be a nice touch to add our tournament logo!~

Using Brawlbox I imported the logo I wanted on common5 -> sc_selcharacter_en -> MiscData[40]
as a Texture file.

Same spot where the Apex logo is located! Thing is, it doesn't show up so I'm assuming I'm missing a step?
Not too familiar with messing with these files yet. lol Thanks in advance!! c:

Last edited:

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Thanks a bunch for this guide! Very useful!

I have one question tho....... How do you add a picture on the Character select screen?
I found an Apex 2014 build somewhere some time ago, with their logo where the character slots for Player 2 & 3 are. As well as your "Theytah's build" with your logo in the same spot!

My team and I are hosting a PM tournament soon and thought it would be a nice touch to add our tournament logo!~

Using Brawlbox I imported the logo I wanted on common5 -> sc_selcharacter_en -> MiscData[40]
as a Texture file.

Same spot where the Apex logo is located! Thing is, it doesn't show up so I'm assuming I'm missing a step?
Not too familiar with messing with these files yet. lol Thanks in advance!! c:
Once 3.6 is out I included a blank plane on the CSS for people to do this easier from now on, so I'd just wait a little bit so that you can just do that.

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
So I decided to start smash3ifying(is that the term?) a certain mario skin, and decided to change the final smash eye. Thoughts?
I just saw that the right eye reverses the design for the final smash eye, making the blue part of the flag appear on the right instead of the left. How do I fix this?

Top Bottom