• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TheWhiteBowser's Brawl Strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
2. Grenade won't explode, and your opponent can time an airdodge.
3. Shield upon landing, if you somehow get hit, techroll.
4. If your opponent techrolls, then this won't work.

2. Airdodge.
3. DI out of Aether.
4. If you don't DI, you can still shield the SH Fair.

2. Airdodge, jump or attack to avoid.
3. Techroll if you get hit by Dair.
4. If you get hit by D-Tilt, then Step 4 has to be buffered. Then again, you shouldn't get hit by d-tilt.
Did you actually watch Tiger BizNiz's videos he made for me?

Player-1

Smash Legend
So let me get this straight. The only combos you can possible think of are chaingrabs. Wow talk about no imagination. I will start calling these combos strings if it will make you feel better though. I do feel though that I am being bullied a little by you guys. Not sure if its because I am new or because you guys don't trust me. and if you actually look it up both on youtube and on smash wiki then yes you will clearly see zelda's down tilt is one of the fastest in the game. So that move is ideal for a combo. Please stop doing this guys I just want to help. That is it. I just want to HELP.

I mean I can name more, but virtually all combos in brawl are chain grabs, there isn't really any imagination about it. Here's one that isn't a chaingrab and pretty creative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHIhOaDYXo

Calling them strings instead of combos is a step in the right direction, but still not close as still most of these I wouldn't consider strings either. The only 2 I'd consider a string would be Lucas nair>fsmash or DK's side-b to usmah. In your video you clearly said Zelda's dtilt is THE FASTEST in the game, not one of the fastest which sure I can agree to that.

You're confusing us not being optimistic (pessimistic) and being realistic when the two can be the same. These "strings" don't work in competitive play. I don't want to drive anyone away, I just want you to try to be a little bit open minded to being realistic and trying to get a grasp on competitive play because, no offense, you don't seem to really know a lot about this game, at least from from a competitive standpoint.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
The forward smash does have a chance of missing. You could instead go for a short hop forward air instead in case they DI out of range of the forward smash. If you missed the wizard's foot in step 2 try doing the combo at a lower percentage keep in mind the damage cap is 40% otherwise your opponent could escape. You could also go for a short hop up aerial in step 2 as well since your opponent might be to high a percentage of damage for the wizard's foot to hit. Keep on smashing!

You see I like comments like this. They help this thread improve and they help players improve their game. These combos can be adjusted to fit many situations yet in the end they are just discoveries and discoveries have to be used in order to become facts. Keep on critiquing!

i tought combos were garenteed. why is this so complcated??????

r u sayin that this doesnt wurk all the timme??????????? =(

and wut if mk shuttleloop when i short hup???????

i tryed this aganst my fred's rob and he nair and i got hitt. help plzz

So let me get this straight. The only combos you can possible think of are chaingrabs. Wow talk about no imagination. I will start calling these combos strings if it will make you feel better though. I do feel though that I am being bullied a little by you guys. Not sure if its because I am new or because you guys don't trust me. and if you actually look it up both on youtube and on smash wiki then yes you will clearly see zelda's down tilt is one of the fastest in the game. So that move is ideal for a combo. Please stop doing this guys I just want to help. That is it. I just want to HELP.
im not meen =(

i think these strings only wurk in traingi mode tho =(

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Stop being aggro towards TheWhiteBowser. He has been a member since yesterday, you can't expect him to understand all the terminology, mechanics, and complexities of the game and you guys are being very elitist about it.
Thank you very much Player-1 for being genuinely helpful with your responses - it's very much appreciated.

TheWhiteBowser, make sure you read through the forum rules real quick before you continue posting. Particularly the first rule, which you've been neglecting. (Double posting)

The reason people are being whiny is because when you use the word "combo", which means that it is inescapable. As player-1 said, use the word "string" instead, as it more accurately describes what you're posting.

I'll edit the title and merge posts for you, take it upon yourself to fix up your posts from now and in the future.

Edit: Please add all other future strings to the first post by using the "edit" button on the bottom of your post

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
i tought combos were garenteed. why is this so complcated??????

r u sayin that this doesnt wurk all the timme??????????? =(

and wut if mk shuttleloop when i short hup???????

i tryed this aganst my fred's rob and he nair and i got hitt. help plzz

im not meen =(

i think these strings only wurk in traingi mode tho =(
If you have been listening to what I have said over 5 times in this thread it is quite clear. These strings I provide in this thread must be bent to fit every situation. It is my job to test out the string, make up a general definition so everyone can understand it, then announce the string. It is your job as a player to use the string, edit the string to fit the situation, and to improve the string during your brawling.
Now your friend's rob. Well in my experience neutral aerials are great for knocking off opponents that are hammering you so it would make sense. I don't think their is a neutral aerial that can stop a wizard's foot though. Correct me if I am wrong of course. Still though the only instance I see your friend's rob neutral air defeating this string is after the down throw in which case a short hop back aerial might work better. But then again another option is you could go for a quick shield to block the neutral aerial then go for the wizard's foot because your friend's rob would be slowed after doing the neutral aerial.
Now onto the Meta Knight topic if you are going up against a Meta Knight with a Ganondorf then that's downright suicide especially if the guy knows what he's doing. Trying playing as a different character instead of Ganondorf. Not every character can fit every battle. The importance of becoming a good brawler is to mix it up. mix up your moves and mix up your characters. That way you can be very unpredictable and become a better brawler.
I really appreciate comments like this in the thread! Keep the questions coming!
Now I have to edit this because I tested it out again. Ganon's wizard's foot does launch ROB high enough into the air for your friend to counter with a neutral aerial. I recommend shielding and then striking them with a forward smash which you should be able to get on them because your friend's ROB should be a bit laggy after the neutral aerial. If you think a forward smash won't work then try a forward tilt or short hop forward aerial as it is a bit faster than the forward smash. Keep all this in mind and keep on smashing!

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
I mean I can name more, but virtually all combos in brawl are chain grabs, there isn't really any imagination about it. Here's one that isn't a chaingrab and pretty creative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHIhOaDYXo

Calling them strings instead of combos is a step in the right direction, but still not close as still most of these I wouldn't consider strings either. The only 2 I'd consider a string would be Lucas nair>fsmash or DK's side-b to usmah. In your video you clearly said Zelda's dtilt is THE FASTEST in the game, not one of the fastest which sure I can agree to that.

You're confusing us not being optimistic (pessimistic) and being realistic when the two can be the same. These "strings" don't work in competitive play. I don't want to drive anyone away, I just want you to try to be a little bit open minded to being realistic and trying to get a grasp on competitive play because, no offense, you don't seem to really know a lot about this game, at least from from a competitive standpoint.
I should apologize to you. I will admit like every competitive brawler I have a sense of pride for what I do. I will start calling these strings. Still maybe it is just because I have a sense of hope for smash bros. but I don't believe the only viable combos in smash bros. are chaingrabs, I'm too much of an opportunist to think that. And while doing these combos in the training room defeats realism. I assure you that I do work hard discovering these strings. So I would like to know though this string was given to me by one of my best friends JackaMacka1 what do you think of it?
Luigi- two simple jabs at close range, Up special mega jump punch.
You do have to be very close range for this to work but during my experimentation in the training room this string can kill every character when they are at 50% or more.

Player-1

Smash Legend
It's not a true combo thanks to SDI, but it's used in competitive from time to time. It's better to only use the first jab into up-b because it gives the opponent less room to SDI and it actually is a true combo on a couple of characters like bowser

TreK

Is "that guy"
Jab-upB as Luigi is actually a combo, but it has got very strict conditions.
Here is a quick chart that summarizes these conditions :
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/unblockable-jab-follow-ups-frame-data-complete.199907/
Luigi players not only have to learn this chart by heart, they also have to have the reflexes to read the opponent's DI in a matter of 5-10 frames and react accordingly, and have the skill necessary to land the jab in the first place, as it is a move that lacks range and thus is extremely easy to avoid for competitive players. Learning the chart by heart is actually the easy part, and by a margin.

There also used to be a thread with a chart that described at which % Luigi's upB kills every character depending on the stage and the staleness of the upB. But I can't seem to find it right now. Iirc, the most vulnerable one is Ivysaur which dies at 28% on FD, and the least vulnerable is King Dedede which dies at 81% on FD.

The work you're doing basically consists in doing the very same work we've already done and shared on these boards. It's kind of like coming to a scientific congress and shouting everywhere that you've just discovered fire. You can't possibly keep up with what thousands of players have figured out over the course of several years, especially not by training alone. But that's exactly why we have written so many guides on these boards and uploaded so many videos on youtube : we want it to be easy to learn competitive Smash and those are two very good medias for it. Give it a try.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Sheik’s Forward Charge | TheWhiteBowser “

1. Go for a Dash Attack but be sure to hit the opponent with the end of your Dash Attack
2. A couple of Forward Tilts
3. Up Aerial and Forward Aerial
4. Finisher! Land back on the ground and Forward Smash
Advice= This string is unique as you have to hit your opponent with a certain part of your dash attack to make it work. If you hit you opponent with the end motions of your dash attack it will string well with a few forward tilts. Then go in for an up aerial and a forward aerial. The forward aerial will line them up perfectly for a finishing forward smash however there is a good chance your foe could counter step 4 so it could be best to stop at step 3 and consider a new approach to mixs-up your game. This string is not guaranteed to KO though because Sheik’s moves have poor knockback (excluding upsmash) so keep that in mind. However it won't work in every situation so be careful how you use it. Keep in mind though the less the knockback there is the more strings you can do.
Start Damage Cap: 20-35% End Damage Cap: 65-80%

And I just want to throw this out there as well because I would really like to know if I have a good point when it comes to hitting your opponent with an attack is it best to sweetspot the attack and launch them far away or is it better to not sweetspot it set up a little stun and get another move in on them. Because I kind of have a few strings that depend on you not sweespotting your moves so that you opponent will get little knockback and you can go in for another hit. I know that sweetspotting your moves is essential for a KO but if you don't sweetspot your moves is it essential for stringing? I would really like to know an answer to this because the dash attack in this string is not sweetspotted therefore it has little knockback and can be used in a string. Please let me know. Thank you!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Sheik’s Forward Charge | TheWhiteBowser “

1. Go for a Dash Attack but be sure to hit the opponent with the end of your Dash Attack
2. A couple of Forward Tilts
3. Up Aerial and Forward Aerial
4. Finisher! Land back on the ground and Forward Smash
Advice= This string is unique as you have to hit your opponent with a certain part of your dash attack to make it work. If you hit you opponent with the end motions of your dash attack it will string well with a few forward tilts. Then go in for an up aerial and a forward aerial. The forward aerial will line them up perfectly for a finishing forward smash however there is a good chance your foe could counter step 4 so it could be best to stop at step 3 and consider a new approach to mixs-up your game. This string is not guaranteed to KO though because Sheik’s moves have poor knockback (excluding upsmash) so keep that in mind. However it won't work in every situation so be careful how you use it. Keep in mind though the less the knockback there is the more strings you can do.
Start Damage Cap: 20-35% End Damage Cap: 65-80%

And I just want to throw this out there as well because I would really like to know if I have a good point when it comes to hitting your opponent with an attack is it best to sweetspot the attack and launch them far away or is it better to not sweetspot it set up a little stun and get another move in on them. Because I kind of have a few strings that depend on you not sweespotting your moves so that you opponent will get little knockback and you can go in for another hit. I know that sweetspotting your moves is essential for a KO but if you don't sweetspot your moves is it essential for stringing? I would really like to know an answer to this because the dash attack in this string is not sweetspotted therefore it has little knockback and can be used in a string. Please let me know. Thank you!
The forward tilt can be DI-ed and ultimately spot-dodged.. Seriously man stop with this nonsense, it's mortifying.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
I should apologize to you. I will admit like every competitive brawler I have a sense of pride for what I do. I will start calling these strings. Still maybe it is just because I have a sense of hope for smash bros. but I don't believe the only viable combos in smash bros. are chaingrabs, I'm too much of an opportunist to think that. And while doing these combos in the training room defeats realism. I assure you that I do work hard discovering these strings. So I would like to know though this string was given to me by one of my best friends JackaMacka1 what do you think of it?
Luigi- two simple jabs at close range, Up special mega jump punch.
You do have to be very close range for this to work but during my experimentation in the training room this string can kill every character when they are at 50% or more.

My trolling for the past two posts aside...
I really do appreciate your effort with finding these strings. The Luigi string is, in fact, commonly used and of viability to Luigi mains (although 2 jabs will probably give your opponent enough time to SDI away; with that much time, it becomes very obvious with what Luigi will follow-up with.) Additionally, Luigi's fresh UpB can kill as early as 70%, I'm not sure about any less.

If you read Teneban's post, however, this is already unfortunately the case; much of the community has already figured what has worked and what hasn't, in the form of guides or just simple high-level gameplay videos.

I do find Player-1's sentiments important to reiterate - as much as we all appreciate the steadfastness of your commitment to what you're doing - that much of what you are discussing, if they do work as an occasional string, that they are a result of intelligent decision-making during gameplay.

Namely, top European Marth players are notorious for stringing numerous moves together not because they follow a static guide with pages on end of footnotes, but because they know their options and their opponent's options in their position and adapt accordingly. With that being said, these "String Guides" are, unfortunately, a futile effort to cover the numerous amount of options that may be taken in a match between two real players.

Don't get us wrong, we are incredibly appreciative of your efforts and positive attitude in your approach to the game. I'm sure some of us would love to show you higher level competitive play on Wi-Fi sometime! *cough Player-1 shots fired*

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
The forward tilt can be DI-ed and ultimately spot-dodged.. Seriously man stop with this nonsense, it's mortifying.
Not really... Sheik's forward tilt strikes very fast. And like I pointed out in the string you need to hit the opponent with a certain part of the dash attack in order for it to string properly with a few forward tilts. If you feel a DACUS would work better then your wrong because it can easily be shielded and punished. This string takes place in a scenario when both you and your opponent are on the ground. So going in for the dash attack and hitting your opponent with the end frames of the dash attack is very ideal to getting this string right and keep in mind I provided damage caps. This string will not work at damages over 35% keep that in mind when testing it out.I assure you I test these out multiple times before writing them down. I do know what I am doing.
Secondly I doubt you even know what mortifying means. I am honestly just here to help. I will provide multiple stringing techniques to this thread and if you would take a hobby of providing the flaws to those strings then that's fine because both things improve a person's playstyle. Still though I will admit prior to three days ago I thought strings and combos were the same thing I didn't even know of the term string in Brawl and I own SSB64 Melee and Brawl. I just play the game for fun I don't necessarily know the complete language of smash. I will start calling these strings as it is the right thing to do I know that now. People can know how to do these strings to defeat their opponents and people can know how to counter these strings to defeat their opponents that way everyone will be happy. So please be happy like me and Keep on smashing!

Fun fact: I have owned SSBB for 3 years so I guess you could say I am not a total expert at the game at all I just want to help people become experts while trying to better myself. But I will be getting SSB4 on pre-order definitely.I have done this for over a year on youtube and now I am doing it on smashboards. There is no time like the present to show people these strings please be respectful of what I am trying to do here. Thank you!

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman
Not really... Sheik's forward tilt strikes very fast. And like I pointed out in the string you need to hit the opponent with a certain part of the dash attack in order for it to string properly with a few forward tilts. If you feel a DACUS would work better then your wrong because it can easily be shielded and punished. This string takes place in a scenario when both you and your opponent are on the ground. So going in for the dash attack and hitting your opponent with the end frames of the dash attack is very ideal to getting this string right and keep in mind I provided damage caps. This string will not work at damages over 35% keep that in mind when testing it out.I assure you I test these out multiple times before writing them down. I do know what I am doing.
Secondly I doubt you even know what mortifying means. I am honestly just here to help. I will provide multiple stringing techniques to this thread and if you would take a hobby of providing the flaws to those strings then that's fine because both things improve a person's playstyle. Still though I will admit prior to three days ago I thought strings and combos were the same thing I didn't even know of the term string in Brawl and I own SSB64 Melee and Brawl. I just play the game for fun I don't necessarily know the complete language of smash. I will start calling these strings as it is the right thing to do I know that now. People can know how to do these strings to defeat their opponents and people can know how to counter these strings to defeat their opponents that way everyone will be happy. So please be happy like me and Keep on smashing!

Fun fact: I have owned SSBB for 3 years so I guess you could say I am not a total expert at the game at all I just want to help people become experts while trying to better myself. But I will be getting SSB4 on pre-order definitely.I have done this for over a year on youtube and now I am doing it on smashboards. There is no time like the present to show people these strings please be respectful of what I am trying to do here. Thank you!
I think if you limited it to one forward tilt then even with DI, the string would work.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Came up with this string a few nights ago while practicing with Ganondorf in the training room. Let me know what you guys think! Yes I am still aware that coming up with strings in the training room defeats realism but creating good strings that fit EVERY situation can only go so far. And trust me making a string with Ganondorf takes a lot of work since he is so slow. Still though share your thoughts on this string.

Ganondorf’s Dash Attack Setup Strings | TheWhiteBowser
This string is unique because it can work at virtually every percentage all the way from 20-100% However depending on the damage percentage what you do in step 2 will vary. The key to this move is Ganondorf’s Dash Attack hitbox and how you hit the opponent with it. Try hitting the opponent with the end part of Ganondorf’s dash attack it offers very little knockback and some stun perfect to follow up with a second hit. To master Ganondorf's dash attack you CANNOT sweetspott his Dash attack in this combo it will launch the opponent way too far and this string will be worthless. Hit the opponent with the end portion of Ganondorf's Dash Attack. Yes this takes some practice but it is effective. I don't know if Ganondorf has a viable DACUS to use because I have never attempted to DACUS with Ganondorf but if you think it would work in this string then you can share that too.
At 20-50% Do a Dash Attack then flick the joystick back and do a forward tilt to the direction of your opponent. If you opponent tries to DI then a wizard's foot could work too but it is slower
At 50-90% Do a Dash Attack then short hop and back aerial. The back aerial can come out pretty fast after the dash attack I don't see your opponent countering unless they control a particularly fast character such as Marth or Meta Knight. Still though the back aerial comes out pretty fast in step 2 especially if you practice with it. I don't see too much of a problem with it at all.
At 90-110% Do a Dash Attack then an up aerial. To be honest you shouldn't attempt this string at this percentage but I feel I should just dab this little detail in here anyway. You opponent could DI out of range of a back aerial so an up aerial works better here because it has a bigger hitbox. Still Air dodge is a thing and your opponent could do so. In which case you could punish their air dodge with a sweetspotted powerful dash attack or forward tilt which will most certainly KO them at this percentage. But if you do so happen to get in the up aerial then you will know the skill level of your opponent therefore you can tell you have a leg up on them. If the up aerial misses then you can tell your opponent is at least an above average brawler. I would say attempting this string at this high percentage could be used to more read your opponent than defeat your opponent. You can still punish them if they air dodge though so this string is still viable to some degree at this percentage.
Advice= The only way this string will work is if you practice using Ganondorf’s dash attack a certain way. You have to hit the opponent with the end part of your dash attack like when Ganondorf is still in a slight sliding motion, this offers little knockback and some stun and that can string into another move very easily. Remember the key is PRACTICE!

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Here are some strings for all you Ness mains out there

Ness The Juggler | TheWhiteBowser “
1. Up Tilt
2. Jump Up and Neutral Aerial
3. Forward Aerial
4. Land back on ground and Dash Attack
5. Jump up and Up Aerial

Advice= This string didn’t take me long to discover and it is very easy to perform. The only real slip up is step 3. Without proper practice step 3 could miss. But the rest of this string blends together perfectly. You should have no trouble executing this string it is very easy and practical. Unlike most of my other strings this one is probably one of the easiest to perform.

Start Damage Cap: 20-30% | End Damage Cap: 73-83%

Ness Backlash Blow | TheWhiteBowser

1. Jump up and Back Aerial (Do not sweet spot)
2. Land back on ground and Forward tilt
3. Dash Attack
4. Jump Up and Up Aerial
5. Second Jump Back Aerial Sweet spotted
Advice= This is a harder string to perform. It is tricky not to sweet spot Ness’ back aerial. To do so you need to initiate the back aerial before making contact with the opponent. This way the opponent is hit with the aftermath of the back aerial coming out of Ness’ move rather than the immediate hit which will hit the opponent sweetspotted. Htiing your opponent with the weak part of the back aerial will create little knockback can you can easily string another hit to it. After that the back aerial sets up some stunning power to get in a nice forward tilt. But the dash attack in step 3 is another hard part. You opponent has to be at low damage otherwise they will be launched too far by the forward tilt and then they will be able to counter the dash attack. To do the dash attack without them having time to counter try pressing "a" right after beginning your dash. Ness’ dash attack has a huge sliding distance and it always knocks the opponent straight up in the air which is perfect to follow up with a few aerial attacks. I prefer you do an up aerial and a back aerial like this combo says after the dash attack but to be honest if you get the first 3 steps off on your opponent you can hit them with whatever you want while they are up in the air.

Start Damage Cap: 15-25% | End Damage Cap: 75-85%

Ness’ Aerial Killer | TheWhiteBowser “
1. Jump Up and Down Aerial
2. Land back on ground Jump Up and Up Aerial
3. Second Jump and Forward Aerial
4. Neutral Aerial
5. Land back on ground and if your opponent is away from the Cliffside jump up and Down Aerial Spike or if your if you think you won’t be able to get the down aerial in play it safe and go for another neutral aerial and stop them from recovering.

Advice= This string is once again hard to perform and takes a lot of practice. After experimenting with it this string will not work with fast fallers, but character like Mario, Luigi, and Lucario are very vulnerable to this string so listen closely. The Down Aerial if performed correctly should launch the opponent straight up and set up some stun. Follow up with a quick up aerial. Step 3 is where we get creative though. After the Up aerial you have to angle your second jump so that your forward aerial, not your back aerial will hit the opponent. When you do your second jump you have to direct it so you end up right next to your opponent in the air. It doesn’t take long to perform step 3 correctly but it does take long to master it. Comparing Ness’s forward aerial to his back aerial. Ness’ forward aerial has little knockback so you can easily follow up with a neutral aerial in step 4. And Ness’ neutral air knocks the opponent straight up so when you land back on the ground after all those aerials jump up one more time and deliver a powerful down aerial and spike them into the abyss.

Start Damage Cap: 20-35% End Damage Cap: 85-95%

TyponV

Smash Rookie
Ness String Post
I dont think most of these should be listed the way that they are. Dash Attack is generally not a good option with Ness due to weird hitboxes and ending lag. Also, in the second string, the opponent can DI, Shield, or Air Dodge the DA after the FTilt. Other than that, these strings are strings that Ness players have been using for quite sometime. As stated earlier they just look at their opponent's options consecutively and adapt accordingly, choosing their own options that hopefully beat their opponents options. Based on how the opponent reacts, none of these strings always work, which is why you shouldn't keep them so set in stone. Instead, these strings can be altered in order to deal with the options that the opponent chooses. I wouldn't look at these strings and always attempt to use these exact moves, because thats not how Ness works.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
I dont think most of these should be listed the way that they are. Dash Attack is generally not a good option with Ness due to weird hitboxes and ending lag. Also, in the second string, the opponent can DI, Shield, or Air Dodge the DA after the FTilt. Other than that, these strings are strings that Ness players have been using for quite sometime. As stated earlier they just look at their opponent's options consecutively and adapt accordingly, choosing their own options that hopefully beat their opponents options. Based on how the opponent reacts, none of these strings always work, which is why you shouldn't keep them so set in stone. Instead, these strings can be altered in order to deal with the options that the opponent chooses. I wouldn't look at these strings and always attempt to use these exact moves, because thats not how Ness works.
Your absolutely right. When I am inside the training room finding these strings and putting them up on smashboards I take pride in helping people by putting these strings up here in this thread. We have to have an open-mind though. Not everyone on smashboards knows good strings for their main character they want to fight as. That is what this thread is here for. I am very happy that these strings I announced in this thread are actually viable strategies according to you. As you probably can guess coming up with these strings in the training room defeats realism but it kind of is the best I can do at times to help people who may be struggling with their Ness or other characters. I am happy you pointed out both the flaws and the weaknesses to these Ness strings. It is a good thing that players can know how to execute one of these strings to defeat their enemy and how to dodge one of these strings to defeat their enemy. This way everyone wins. Then again my efforts can only go so far. It is my job to find these strings in the training room, practice them for a while, write them down, then announce them for all to see. It is the player's job to use the string, experiment with it, edit it to fit certain situations, and defeat their opponent any way they can. I do recognize that I am late announcing these strings but you have to understand one of the life mottos I go by is "There is no time like the present". So even though I have been doing this for a year on youtube I am now doing it here on smashboards because there is no time like the present. Ness players whether they already know these strings or not this thread is here for reference and for rookies. Both rookies and professionals know they have to adapt to every situation accordingly if they want to beat their opponent, I expect no less to be done with these strings I put on this thread. So the point is always to be unpredictable never stick to one certain pattern of attack and don't necessarily follow the order of these strings because when you experiment with them on your opponents you will have to bend the string in certain ways to win. I do appreciate you concern and you pointing out the flaws in these strings because either way we all win. Smash Bros is amazing! Keep on smashing!

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You're not helping anybody by listing non-guaranteed strings, because there are millions of non-guaranteed strings in this game.
If people want to learn what to do with their characters, and what kind of strings/true combos/mixups their characters have, all that information is already available to them in the character subforum, as well as in tournament videos on youtube. You making a thread here listing non-guaranteed strings that people have known about since 2008, or non-guaranteed strings that are big commitments to make and easily escapable followed by huge walls of text on what %s the strings work at (even though they don't even work) and other stuff is pretty much spam.

I know you're intentions are good but trust me, you're not helping.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
You're not helping anybody by listing non-guaranteed strings, because there are millions of non-guaranteed strings in this game.
If people want to learn what to do with their characters, and what kind of strings/true combos/mixups their characters have, all that information is already available to them in the character subforum, as well as in tournament videos on youtube. You making a thread here listing non-guaranteed strings that people have known about since 2008, or non-guaranteed strings that are big commitments to make and easily escapable followed by huge walls of text on what %s the strings work at (even though they don't even work) and other stuff is pretty much spam.

I know you're intentions are good but trust me, you're not helping.
I guess your right... Gosh I really did come to smash boards too late... Well this does get my spirits down but I can still come back when SSB4 comes out. That way I will be just in time. I should have started this thread a year ago when I first started announcing strings/combos on youtube. Or three years ago when I first bought SSBB. But I didn't because I didn't know smashboards existed and at the time I was going through both college and struggling with the trauma of surviving a car accident. A lot of things happen in your life and yeah sometimes you can really be late to the punch. Well then... I guess that will be it for this thread. Even though I have a lot more strings to announce Infinity has a point. I am too late... But that doesn't matter though. I can still come back to this topic stronger than ever when SSB4 comes out. Plus we have no idea the mechanics of SSB4 so the combos or strings or mix-ups of that game are totally random to us. I am always optimistic about what the future holds so I will stay positive. Until the next game!

*Arnold Schwatzenegger impression* "I'll be back!"
:grrr: :grrr:

TreK

Is "that guy"
The idea of it being 'rude' or 'bullying' to insult something for being stupid is one of the reasons we still have stupid people in the world.
I guess having teachers as parents helps me differentiate between 'stupid' and 'unexperienced'.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Shame they didn't teach you that it's inexperienced, not unexperienced ;) jks jks

I don't see a difference between the terms in this context, unless one assumes that stupidity is an incurable affliction. Which in itself would be stupid.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ah, English people and their silly language that never looks like French except when it actually does.

Anyway, what I meant, is that stupid people don't care to learn in the first place. You can call those stupid, I won't mind.
Inexperienced people just don't know that they can learn. They can end up being stupid, too, but it' not always the case.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Ah, English people and their silly language that never looks like French except when it actually does.

Anyway, what I meant, is that stupid people don't care to learn in the first place. You can call those stupid, I won't mind.
Inexperienced people just don't know that they can learn. They can end up being stupid, too, but it' not always the case.
I am not sure, I am trying to understand why this conversation between Teneban and Grim Tuesday that is taking place in this thread. Trying to analyze your comments and I am either getting you are coming to my defense on this thread or saying I am inexperienced at brawl. I don't want to make any bad assumptions so I would like to know what you are trying to imply because I am getting that these pasts four 4 comments on this thread are all one big innuendo.

Just to clear the gossip. I am very experienced at brawl I main as Lucario and Ike. I play brawl all the time and just because I am new to smashboards does not mean I am bad at brawl. I can certainly put up a great fight on SSBB if need be. Is it really so bad that I tried to go out of my way to do something nice? To post strings/combos to smashboards that already existed or thought to be were ineffective in certain situations is enough to call me stupid? Half the stuff I have gotten out of this thread is "DI makes all your strings ineffective herpdee-derp". Just gonna get this out there but I don't use DI in brawl... SUE ME! I dare you...

I don't believe that you have to know how to DI to be a great smash bros player. I don't believe you have to go to tournaments to be a great smash bros. player. My philosophy is as long as you have friends to play the game with and you have fun playing it then you are great at playing the game. That is it. After I lost one of my friends in that car accident I mentioned in that earlier post I realized a lot of things.

Please stop guys. If you are trying to taunt me still then please stop. Leave this thread alone because as I said I am done posting strings to it. If it does so happen that I am getting taunted by you guys then I will request a mod to lock this thread. I don't deserve to be treated like this at all.

Now on the other hand if you guys are trying to imply something else... Please elaborate...

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't believe that you have to know how to DI to be a great smash bros player. I don't believe you have to go to tournaments to be a great smash bros. player. My philosophy is as long as you have friends to play the game with and you have fun playing it then you are great at playing the game. That is it
You definitely need to know how to DI to perform well, and I'd say at least 99% of the time you need to go to tournaments to be considered 'great'.

Trust me, everybody (myself included) thought they were the best because they'd beat their friends from high school. Then we all realized how wrong we were when we went to our first tournaments. If you keep up this attitude, when you go to your first tournament you're going to be severely disappointed at your performance and then you'll never attend a tournament again.

Though at this point I think this thread should just be locked so there's no need to continue this discussion. If you want to respond to this post, PM me.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

stu·pid
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.

Debating semantics is a waste of time, I appreciate that they could have different definitions, but this is the one I was using.

-------

TheWhiteBowser: You posted some strings (which at the time you called combos) that were not useful to the readers of this thread, because they are poor options in a competitive format (keep in mind that most of this forum's active members are competitive players - especially in the Competitive Brawl Discussion sub-section). The fact that you put a lot of effort into this, or that your intentions were good, doesn't give you a free pass to avoid ridicule; on the contrary, many people consider it humorous when someone puts a lot of effort into banality.

Relative to the rest of the world, you are not a good player as 99% of the world defines it (evident because you do not DI, and you employ tactics that simply do not work at higher levels of play). Sure, if you choose to define 'good' as 'having fun and playing with friends', then you're good. But that isn't what the majority of people mean when they say 'good', so that definition is kind-of useless on a worldwide forum.

Ignoring the fact that you mistook bluntness for 'bullying' (i.e. someone saying that your combos don't work isn't bullying you or being rude, they are being honest and accurate); yes, some people were bullying and 'taking the piss out of you'. This is because in society, respect isn't a right - it's a privilege. People aren't going to respect your ideas if they are awful, because respect takes time and effort (time and effort that could be better spent on good ideas). Rather than taking this opportunity to exercise a martyr complex ("Boo-hoo, woe is me, I'm being persecuted"), learn from it. Become a better person that the people on this forum want to respect.

Understanding this could be one of the most important things in your life (I know it was in mine), and it's the entire basis of the Smash Bros. expression "No johns." Which essentially means no excuses. Ever. Even if the excuses are justified, and you're not the one to blame. If you adopt the mentality of "I don't like this; what can I do to solve it?" then every time you face adversity it will lead to personal growth.

Hopefully that makes sense.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For pretty much any string, you'd have to explain why an opponent would choose to DI certain ways and would be ineffective in trying to jump out or attack between moves in order for its use to be considered even slightly useful or plausible. If they have no basis in that, you could just list any combination of moves and suggest that if the opponent gets in just the right spot, it's worth keeping in mind as an option.

Also (and this is just a general statement, as I've seen many people do it), naming strings and/or combos is kind of dumb 99.9% of the time. Whether anyone means for them to be or not, they always come out sounding corny as hell.

TheWhiteBowser (hey, that has the same format as my name!), I would highly recommend that you spend some time reading some of the links in the following thread in order to get an idea of the issue at hand. People aren't trying to be antagonistic; they're trying to put you on the right track.

http://smashboards.com/threads/brawl-social-advice-resources-thread-not-sure-ask.266590/

EDIT: As far as I can tell, this thread has run its course. It's turned into obvious explanation of the trouble at hand and a need to validate the original post. TheWhiteBowser, if you have any character-specific stuff you'd like to discuss, your best bet would be to take it to character-specific subforums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom