• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TheTwilight Heroes' book of Link matchups (Incomplete)

Kief

Smash Ace
nice stuff from deva but also good guide from ter. i especially agree with deva on the DDD thing though. i was pretty suprised when i saw somewhere (maybe the old character matchup guide here?) that link had a 60/40 advantage on DDD. i mean link likes to fight fatties, but with link being so heavy and having such a bad recovery, and DDD being a floating penguin, this has chaingrab/spike/gimp written all over it. i'd say its even if not a slight advantage to DDD. not that my opinion matters much...
lol.

sasook

Smash Champion
nice stuff from deva but also good guide from ter. i especially agree with deva on the DDD thing though. i was pretty suprised when i saw somewhere (maybe the old character matchup guide here?) that link had a 60/40 advantage on DDD. i mean link likes to fight fatties, but with link being so heavy and having such a bad recovery, and DDD being a floating penguin, this has chaingrab/spike/gimp written all over it. i'd say its even if not a slight advantage to DDD. not that my opinion matters much...
lol.
Slight advantage towards DDD? Try more like 75:25 D3's favor.

Kief

Smash Ace
Slight advantage towards DDD? Try more like 75:25 D3's favor.
or that lol. i'm not a matchup numbers expert. i just kinda see it like - you will **** them ( that one is small) - even - useable - pick another character. thats my scale.

i know i've seen it 60/40 link's advantage somewhere though...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I like Yoshi's Island the most when it comes to Neutrals.

For Counterpicks I use Norfair or Pirate Ship to negate his greatest weakness, his recovery.

To directly answer your question though, it depends on how I feel. Mostly I use counterpick stages since they're available, but I may at times stick with flat stages.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
From sbr? Lol Twilight, Matt posts here on these boards pretty often too. Anyways, yeah you gotta play midrange on Mario, lottaaaa spacing. Matt's Mario is good, but Kirin's is just ****. He'll tell you every single combo involving jabs and capes - I learned the hard way. Don't get caught playing close to Mario.
Don't get close to Mario. Just don't. Jab Cancelling, especially into a grab, is extremely avoidable as lower percents and can lead you to getting punished with the craziest combos ever. Save the fancy jab cancels for high %'s when Link's second jab sends them too high up of the ground to shield or spotdodge. Don't start your spam game with boomerang first because if Mario capes it back at you it's going to cancel your next arrow or blow away your bombs and worst case sencario it'll blow you off the stage into an edgeguard.

Mario's Utilt will get a very quick 25%-30% on Link and he can chain it into alot of things like Dsmash, grabs, or aerials. A personal favorite of mine is Utilt>Utilt>Dair>Second Jump>Uair>Uair, this racks up +50% if all attacks hit. His Dair is very high in priority and makes for a good approach. One thing Link should do if he's getting caught in a combo in the air is spam that A button, your Nair is pretty quick.

You know all about the offstage game.

It's not an extremely difficult match-up, but it's one that needs to be played really carefully.

Deva

Smash Lord
xD, god, I feel even worse now. You guys werent supposed to find that blog xD, it was just so Eggz and Jem could see what a big mistake they were making, and becuase it just seemed hillairous that the entire Wa smash scene quit at the same time. BlueLink's vid gave me a pretty big lump in my throat. :(

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
xD, god, I feel even worse now. You guys werent supposed to find that blog xD, it was just so Eggz and Jem could see what a big mistake they were making, and becuase it just seemed hillairous that the entire Wa smash scene quit at the same time. BlueLink's vid gave me a pretty big lump in my throat. :(
Good, now you know what the reaction will be so quitting is no longer an option :)

DeTa

Smash Apprentice
honestly, I almost died :(

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Sorry.

Was the mood too sad? D:

Good, now you know what the reaction will be so quitting is no longer an option :)
That's right!

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
phew im glad it was a joke but be sure to expect all that previous mourning for your leaving to be turned into hate by people who were once your loyal fans <hands mirror shield>. Dont worry, this one doesnt burn from flaming like that stupid Deku shield.

sasook

Smash Champion
*walks into thread with steam coming out of ears and fists shaking*

DEVA

I AM GONNA CYBER SMACK YOU SO HARD YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR SCREEN CLEARLY

THAT.WAS.NOT.FUNNY.

This is for you.

In all realness though, you really had us scared. Please don't do that again, we love you too much.

If one good thing came out of this, I was so distraught that I somehow wrecked a MK 5-1 in honor of you. The loss was on Norfair, of all places

sasook

Smash Champion
-__-

I thought I would get some response from Deva about my post...oh well.

Deva

Smash Lord
Oh god Kirin, that sounds like a horrible punishment. It's like my worst nightmare.

and <3 Sasook, yeah, I deserved it. You guys werent supposed to find that blog though lol. I mean, if I were actually quitting, you guys know I'd let you know first, right?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Let me help you out here Deva.

Oh god Kirin, that sounds like a horrible punishment. It's like my worst nightmare only far, far worse.

and <3 Sasook, yeah, I deserved it. You guys were going to find that blog anyway considering you obsessively follow every action that I undertake. I mean, if I were actually quitting, then I would have to make sure I am run over by a train or something so that I wouldn't have to die because of every Link mainer in the world trying to assassinate me.
DON'T LEAVE ME!!! jk Deva you rock. I laughed really hard when you told us you weren't quitting.

And Terwj, when do you think the next matchup will be up?

sasook

Smash Champion
rofl Anon. And I don't think he should post the next matchup yet (he has to update the current ones).

Bomber7

Smash Hero
We're ready to argue every last thing and be told that Bullet Seed can be used as a combo breaker.

PT ratios are really hard to come up with too. :\
Well the match up discussion is bound to have to come sooner or later. If it is goign to be that bad, then get the worst over with now. Who knows maybe the ratio of favor wont be that bad. SO how about it? Want me to make the thread now? I got connections in the PT thread so this thing be be a debate of the best.

Just bring your best Links. =D

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Well the match up discussion is bound to have to come sooner or later. If it is goign to be that bad, then get the worst over with now. Who knows maybe the ratio of favor wont be that bad. SO how about it? Want me to make the thread now? I got connections in the PT thread so this thing be be a debate of the best.

Just bring your best Links. =D
Well I'm not real figure in these boards, so clearance can't be given by me. I'd say way for Arkive, Deva, Legan, this threads creator, or one of the more seasoned Link mains to you the go ahead for this match up discussion.

Kief

Smash Ace
i'm not a pro link main but i dont think they'd want you to make a new thread. i think the discussions are supposed to be done in this thread.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just so you guys know. The week is drawing to a close. I got a tourny tommorow so I wont have the summary of PT until Saturday. I'll post the link to the OP when I have it done.

Top Bottom