• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I dont think he can. Was trying it myself with no effect. I'm also becoming curious about the hit stun from the bomb. Sometimes I'm trapping them in heavy combos. Other times they're reacting and getting out no problem, even against a follow up explosion. The timing must be really strict in between bomb hits.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It would be nice to know how many frames detonating a bomb takes, maybe 30? We'll have to wait for that.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
It would be nice to know how many frames detonating a bomb takes, maybe 30? We'll have to wait for that.
This might help. The detonation is frame 12 with an FAF of 40.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Link has a death combo!
Note that this combo is hard to do and it isn't exactly an infinite on legal stages since because you'll eventually hit the edge of the stage when performing this combo.
Seems easier to pull off on large character. Tho it might be harder to pull of on smaller characters.
This combo doesn't work at lower percents. I think the opponent might need ~70% for this combo to work.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link has a death combo!
Note that this combo is hard to do.
Seems easier to pull off on large character. Tho it might be harder to pull of on smaller characters.
This combo doesn't work at lower percents. I think the opponent might need ~70% for this combo to work.
I question if that would work vs a human who's doing things to escape. But even if it works it'll be patched like SSB4 Link's jab 1 cancels :/

Just saying.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
I question if that would work vs a human who's doing things to escape. But even if it works it'll be patched like SSB4 Link's jab 1 cancels :/

Just saying.
Idk if you can DI outwards to escape this combo.
I doubt this will get patch immediately cuz this combo doesn't work unless the opponent is around 70% as I mentioned before in this post, and it's also hard to pull off as you can easily mess up on this combo.
The opponent can avoid getting caught by this combo by simply shielding when then makes this into a shield pressure situation.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
The hit stun from the bomb is stupidly tight as is, I doubt this will be seen as a consistent combo. It's cool to see though. Timing on it just seems absurd.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
The hit stun from the bomb is stupidly tight as is, I doubt this will be seen as a consistent combo. It's cool to see though. Timing on it just seems absurd.
I already talked it over to my friends on Discord, and they say that it isn't really an infinite combo

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Ah damn. That's a shame. Or maybe that's a good thing actually. Keep Link away from the nerf hammer.
I just updated my post on this combo explaining that the reason why that this combo isn't truly an infinite is because you'll eventually hit the edge of the stage when performing this combo on legal stages.
In any case, this combo does seem like a really good kill option for Link

Edit: have you checked out the Link Metagame thread that I just created? The link to it is right here:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-hero-of-the-wild-ssbu-link-metagame-thread.465374/

Last edited:

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
So im new here, but figured I would give my opinion of new Link....

I hate the new bombs. I feel using the detonator kills my momentum and totally ruins the push and pull flow, and the fun zoning of the character that I enjoyed so much. watching them harmlessly bounce off shields, or just roll off screen forcing me to detonate them or wait till it falls completely off the stage before I can pull out another one, or opponents easily picking them up(especially the villager and Isabelle who can pocket them and keep them till they are killed ) literally cutting me off from the use of my bombs all together, all really frustrate me. Though I am trying really hard to give them a chance hoping they will grow on me, but I dont know

the loss of the tether is infuriating to me. I completely get that he didnt have the hookshot/clawshot or anything like it in Breath of the Wild, but I don't see that as a valid reason. plenty of fighters are still using really old tools/powers despite any newer games. Like I dont understand why Mario gets to keep his fludd and cape, while Link is stripped of one of his most iconic tools. I mean they didnt seem to feel the need to "update" any of Marios moves to incorporate Mario Odyssey(other than his taunt), so why only do it to Link.

I just feel like they could have given us both. Make Breath of the Wild Link an alternate version of the same character that you could switch to within the same portrait like they did with Sheik and ZSS before.

Rizen

Smash Legend

I hate the new bombs. I feel using the detonator kills my momentum and totally ruins the push and pull flow, and the fun zoning of the character that I enjoyed so much. watching them harmlessly bounce off shields, or just roll off screen forcing me to detonate them or wait till it falls completely off the stage before I can pull out another one, or opponents easily picking them up(especially the villager and Isabelle who can pocket them and keep them till they are killed ) literally cutting me off from the use of my bombs all together, all really frustrate me. Though I am trying really hard to give them a chance hoping they will grow on me, but I dont know

the loss of the tether is infuriating to me. I completely get that he didnt have the hookshot/clawshot or anything like it in Breath of the Wild, but I don't see that as a valid reason. plenty of fighters are still using really old tools/powers despite any newer games. Like I dont understand why Mario gets to keep his fludd and cape, while Link is stripped of one of his most iconic tools. I mean they didnt seem to feel the need to "update" any of Marios moves to incorporate Mario Odyssey(other than his taunt), so why only do it to Link.

I just feel like they could have given us both. Make Breath of the Wild Link an alternate version of the same character that you could switch to within the same portrait like they did with Sheik and ZSS before.
There's always :ultyounglink: if you prefer a more traditional style.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Honestly, I wish BotW Link was just a really well-done costume.
Like, the bombs still explode as usual, but with the Sheikah slate aesthetic and the hookshot is replaced by the magnetism rune.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Honestly, I wish BotW Link was just a really well-done costume.
Like, the bombs still explode as usual, but with the Sheikah slate aesthetic and the hookshot is replaced by the magnetism rune.
I don't exactly think the magnetism rune would be a good replacement for the hookshot since it only works on magnetic items and that you couldn't exactly use it directly on enemies in BOTW.
Personally, I really like the fact that Link now has a normal grab since it's not as punishable as his tether grab which was one of the main things I didn't like about the hookshot and it overall significantly improves his neutral game. His new normal grab also happens to be one of the fastest grabs in the Ultimate which another significant improvement for Link, cuz that mean he can now Shield Grab punish much better than he could in Smash 4.
Even though he did lose his tether recovery as a trade-off for having a normal grab now, I personally think that it was worth it as I much rather prefer to have a normal grab that is much better suited for playing the neutral over a tether grab that's better suited for recovering.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't exactly think the magnetism rune would be a good replacement for the hookshot since it only works on magnetic items and that you couldn't exactly use it directly on enemies in BOTW.
Personally, I really like the fact that Link now has a normal grab since it's not as punishable as his tether grab which was one of the main things I didn't like about the hookshot and it overall significantly improves his neutral game. His new normal grab also happens to be one of the fastest grabs in the Ultimate which another significant improvement for Link, cuz that mean he can now Shield Grab punish much better than he could in Smash 4.
Even though he did lose his tether recovery as a trade-off for having a normal grab now, I personally think that it was worth it as I much rather prefer to have a normal grab that is much better suited for playing the neutral over a tether grab that's better suited for recovering.
That's true, I do prefer the new grab, but I also miss the tether.

I guess I'd do a Belmont and make his grab normal but his zair a tether.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
That's true, I do prefer the new grab, but I also miss the tether.

I guess I'd do a Belmont and make his grab normal but his zair a tether.
At least you’re able to recover with Link’s new bombs similar to how Snake can recover using his C4. Although it’s quite different in comparison and definitely takes some time and practice to get use to.

Belmont’s tether comes from his Fair, Bair, and Up Air. He doesn’t have a Zair.

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
I liked the hookshot for its versatility. Zair was an extremely effective spacing tool that fit seamlessly with his zoning game and was a lot of fun. Keeping your opponent just within the range of your sword was really satisfying. I just feel like he has fewer options and adaptability now.

Last edited:

Based on what i'm reading here in this thread i'm beginning to think that maybe the changes to Link's moveset were a bit drastic and it makes it difficult for some Link players to adapt. I can understand that.

On the other hand, i'm still pretty confident he's a better fighter overall. Many pro players are praising Link right now and especially his new bombs so i'm not worried about his potential. Tho I know and i'm going to repeat it, i understand why some players are uncomfortable with the changes.

I have yet to try it myself since i don't have the game yet so i can't forge a definitive opinion on 'how the changes feel' but i'm sure about one thing, the potential is there. I hope you guys will learn to like the new Link over time, if not like Rizen Rizen said there's always Young Link (he seems to be very good imo but in a different way, he's a fire arrow machine gun now!? wtf? :p).

Anyway welcome to smashboards (and welcome to thread btw)!

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace

I dont mind the bombs but it does hurt his zoning strength over all. They're extremely powerful at high percents but now Link is putting out way less hitboxes than when he had regular bombs and could span the hell out of them. Maybe a quicker boomerang would have at least balanced that out.... Link isn't bad, I actually think hes better with the mechanic buffs. But he's definitely got his downsides.

What they should have done - or SHOULD do - is buff his sword game. Turn him into a proper sword fighter that can hang with the other sword fighters or melee characters like Ike or Incineroar. Give him some ground melee love. Give him a faster jab, less end lag on attacks so they're actually safe on shields and make him more fluid in general. Sword beam on all half-charged F-smashes regardless of percent. Slightly increased angles on F-air to deal with small fries. More consistent grab combos.

Young Link and Toon Link are the zoners, and likely do it better than Adult Link. Let Adult Link be the melee focused fighter that can do THAT better than them, then. I mean, if we're going by BoTW, I'm usually continuously beating baddies up with a broken Broadsword anyway. But as of right now hes just more gimmicky than anything.

Last edited:

Ahysel

Smash Rookie
I dont mind the bombs but it does hurt his zoning strength over all. They're extremely powerful at high percents but now Link is putting out way less hitboxes than when he had regular bombs and could span the hell out of them. Maybe a quicker boomerang would have at least balanced that out.... Link isn't bad, I actually think hes better with the mechanic buffs. But he's definitely got his downsides.

What they should have done - or SHOULD do - is buff his sword game. Turn him into a proper sword fighter that can hang with the other sword fighters or melee characters like Ike or Incineroar. Give him some ground melee love. Give him a faster jab, less end lag on attacks so they're actually safe on shields and make him more fluid in general. Sword beam on all half-charged F-smashes regardless of percent. Slightly increased angles on F-air to deal with small fries. More consistent grab combos.

Young Link and Toon Link are the zoners, and likely do it better than Adult Link. Let Adult Link be the melee focused fighter that can do THAT better than them, then. I mean, if we're going by BoTW, I'm usually continuously beating baddies up with a broken Broadsword anyway. But as of right now hes just more gimmicky than anything.
I feel as if the Rune Bombs will be a godsend overall, but I will miss the old bombs. For something which intrigues me, I haven't seen any footage of someone testing out whether or not reflectors multiplies the damage and knockback of the Rune Bomb explosion, but if they do, then this makes reflecting against Link far riskier. As for a faster bomberang, if it means it comes out faster than frame 27 by a good amount, it would be insane like PM's before it got nerfed.

I feel the same way to be honest, especially for his jab (which is frame 8 for whatever reason).

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Link has a death combo!
Note that this combo is hard to do and it isn't exactly an infinite on legal stages since because you'll eventually hit the edge of the stage when performing this combo.
Link nerfed into oblivion in 3,2,1...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can't get on discord; it's really stupid. It says 'somethings wrong' and wants me to verify I'm human by email. But when I enter my email it says 'error email is already registered', duh. It won't send me a link and I can't do anything on it or even make a new account without making an entirely new email. :mad:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Is there a Link Discord, by the by?

Has the online matches on Smash Ultimate been fixed?
Trying to figure that out. Lag is...less for me, but still laggy. May be my connection, but I've got fast internet.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
what did they actually change about Toon link?! i haven't really played yet today so not sure what it is exactly what they did,
but i hate it when they touch 1 of my mains >.>

Top Bottom