• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Iridium

Smash Hero
One strange thing I have not heard of mentioned is that bug in which Link gets pushed off of the edge of a stage to his death if the opponent shields it. I hope that is removed, as I don't think any Link wants to deal with it (although that rarely happens to me).

emefcue

Smash Cadet
One strange thing I have not heard of mentioned is that bug in which Link gets pushed off of the edge of a stage to his death if the opponent shields it. I hope that is removed, as I don't think any Link wants to deal with it (although that rarely happens to me).
you mean when link is at the ledge of the stage and does an up-b next to someone sheilds and you slide off. its like a falling up-b now that i think about it. i have lost in tournament that way lol
edit: actually i dont even know if it should be considered a bug. you can slide off in melee too. but in melee you would grab onto the ledge. maybe if they let u grab the ledge then it would be a useful tool.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think the new airdodges will overall hurt Link. Link doesn't have as many arcing slashes as other swordies and instead uses long lasting hitboxes or multi-hits to frame trap. That doesn't work when characters can AD down below Fair or to the side of Uair/Usmash. I hope they iron Link's Dthrow out so it true combos in the final game.

Iridium

Smash Hero
you mean when link is at the ledge of the stage and does an up-b next to someone sheilds and you slide off. its like a falling up-b now that i think about it. i have lost in tournament that way lol
edit: actually i dont even know if it should be considered a bug. you can slide off in melee too. but in melee you would grab onto the ledge. maybe if they let u grab the ledge then it would be a useful tool.
Yes, that. I can't explain why it is there, but it sucks to die at any percent to something so random. They could make it have Melee physics, but who knows? Anything that prevents certain death is fine by me.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
The spin attack "deathslide" is something that's been in every Smash game (except 64, iirc). It is also a bug that happens very rarely both in tournament and casual settings, so it's not game-changing, either. That's just the nuance of Link being one of the few characters programmed with a grounded Up B attack.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The spin attack "deathslide" is something that's been in every Smash game (except 64, iirc). It is also a bug that happens very rarely both in tournament and casual settings, so it's not game-changing, either. That's just the nuance of Link being one of the few characters programmed with a grounded Up B attack.
Oh, okay. I just don't want that to affect me if I ever go to tourney, but I can see why it is rare. I just wish Link could grab the ledge when that happens. I do wonder if this may also affect Toon & Young Link as well.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Oh, okay. I just don't want that to affect me if I ever go to tourney, but I can see why it is rare. I just wish Link could grab the ledge when that happens. I do wonder if this may also affect Toon & Young Link as well.
It happened to me with Young Link in Melee, but I don't remember if Toon Link had the same problem in Brawl or Sm4sh.

Iridium

Smash Hero
It happened to me with Young Link in Melee, but I don't remember if Toon Link had the same problem in Brawl or Sm4sh.
Yeah, I think Toon Link's multiple hits with Spin Attack made it impossible. I don't think he gets pushed back at all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think the new airdodges will overall hurt Link. Link doesn't have as many arcing slashes as other swordies and instead uses long lasting hitboxes or multi-hits to frame trap. That doesn't work when characters can AD down below Fair or to the side of Uair/Usmash. I hope they iron Link's Dthrow out so it true combos in the final game.
You are forgetting that Link can fall fast on demand and has overall less landing lag.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You are forgetting that Link can fall fast on demand and has overall less landing lag.
You're forgetting airdodges can be done upward. I wasn't suggesting to AD into the ground, that's super punishable if it has the same amount of lag as SSB4. My point stands; you saw Marth AD out of Dthrow>Usmash. Frame trapping won't be as reliable in SSBU. I really hope Link gets true combos.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
You're forgetting airdodges can be done upward. I wasn't suggesting to AD into the ground, that's super punishable if it has the same amount of lag as SSB4. My point stands; you saw Marth AD out of Dthrow>Usmash. Frame trapping won't be as reliable in SSBU. I really hope Link gets true combos.
Couple thing to note about air dodges:
They can only be used once whether it's a directional air dodge or neutral air dodge.
Directional air dodges have massive aerial lag, leaving the player vulnerable until the animation ends or they touch the ground.
Air dodge landing lag seems unchanged from Sm4sh.

On a different note, neutral air and back air look really good in terms of look and speed based on the footage we've gotten. I do miss those disjointed hitboxes, however...

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's always had one of the best sex kick Nairs for everything but combo breaking. His Nair will be very useful with improved mobility, especially jumpsquat. I hope we can combo better from Bair 1 this time.

emefcue

Smash Cadet
true, frame trapping won't be as reliable (from what we see so far) . but down tilt to forward air felt super true though. link never had many true combos though outside of his multi hit moves.
Couple thing to note about air dodges:
They can only be used once whether it's a directional air dodge or neutral air dodge.
Directional air dodges have massive aerial lag, leaving the player vulnerable until the animation enda or they touch the ground.
Air dodge landing lag seems unchanged from Sm4sh.

On a different note, neutral air and back air look really good in terms of look and speed based on the footage we've gotten. I do miss those disjointed hitboxes, however...
yes, neutral air and back air feel great in this game. also we can't forget about links grab. even though it is not a tether, it still has decent range. i was able to grab further away then it would normally seem with just a regular grab.

guys, there is a great video of m2k playing link vs. a ness and we can see how bombs can control the stage and create a wall. also he does the full jab into a dash attack. it worked in smash 4 on missed techs and it appears to work in ultimate as well.

theres so much to digest right now as more footage is coming out of ceo. gimr has many videos he hasn't even uploaded yet. here is the m2k video for reference.

EDIT: I also wanted to add, my brother was trying different things on the ledge and he told me he was able to air dodge into the ledge and snap to it. he could do it more then once, so maybe it can be a pseudo melee ledge stall technique.

Mew2King (Ike/Link) vs SiLLyDJ (Ness/Pit) - SSBU Demo - CEO 2018

true, frame trapping won't be as reliable (from what we see so far) . but down tilt to forward air felt super true though. link never had many true combos though outside of his multi hit moves.

yes, neutral air and back air feel great in this game. also we can't forget about links grab. even though it is not a tether, it still has decent range. i was able to grab further away then it would normally seem with just a regular grab.

guys, there is a great video of m2k playing link vs. a ness and we can see how bombs can control the stage and create a wall. also he does the full jab into a dash attack. it worked in smash 4 on missed techs and it appears to work in ultimate as well.

theres so much to digest right now as more footage is coming out of ceo. gimr has many videos he hasn't even uploaded yet. here is the m2k video for reference.

Mew2King (Ike/Link) vs SiLLyDJ (Ness/Pit) - SSBU Demo - CEO 2018
EDIT: I also wanted to add, my brother was trying different things on the ledge and he told me he was able to air dodge into the ledge and snap to it. he could do it more then once, so maybe it can be a pseudo melee ledge stall technique.

i accidently posted again. i meant to edit the above post. how do i delete a post?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Because directional air dodges have so much lag in the air, Link's dash attack can actually punish them much easier than in Sm4sh because Link has more time to react and read the air dodge. M2K shows that off pretty well in the video, taking out Pit's last stock at 7:14.

Also, E emefcue , you didn't make another post, just edit your most recent one.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I really want to know what reasoning is behind :ultlink: being slower than :ulttoonlink: or :ultyounglink:. I don't want to sound angry or anything, but I don't get what makes :ultyounglink: & :ulttoonlink: so fast when I don't so movement that quickly in his own game. In fact, :ultlink: seems more faster especially when he uses up his stamina wheel doing so. This is merely a small observation, and while I get my answers would involve distinction, I wonder if mobility has to be one way to do it.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I really want to know what reasoning is behind :ultlink: being slower than :ulttoonlink: or :ultyounglink:. I don't want to sound angry or anything, but I don't get what makes :ultyounglink: & :ulttoonlink: so fast when I don't so movement that quickly in his own game. In fact, :ultlink: seems more faster especially when he uses up his stamina wheel doing so. This is merely a small observation, and while I get my answers would involve distinction, I wonder if mobility has to be one way to do it.
That blue text is eye r*** btw. Smaller characters are always faster in fighting games; it's pretty standard.

I'm really depressed, my mom has cancer.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Balance.
In exchange for range, power, and weight, they have more speed.

Also, if we're going canonical, that mastersword would break in a few hits and Link would only be able to do like, 5 total moves.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Balance.
In exchange for range, power, and weight, they have more speed.

Also, if we're going canonical, that mastersword would break in a few hits and Link would only be able to do like, 5 total moves.
It would reacharge...eventually. The bow, boomerang and shield on the other hand...

Iridium

Smash Hero
That blue text is eye r*** btw. Smaller characters are always faster in fighting games; it's pretty standard.

I'm really depressed, my mom has cancer.
Sorry man. I did notice the problems with that, and I did not want that shade of blue. I will fix it. I do hope things get better for you.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I've always seen it as Link is just simply bigger. In Brawl - Smash4 he was based on his Twilight Princess model, which had chainmail fitted inside of it, which would also explain his heft and slow speed.

Plus in BotW, I've always assumed the Champion Tunic had to be plated on the inside or something since it has the highest defense in the game. So if he's still moving slower than the other two, that will be my headcanon.

But in all actuality, that's usually just how it goes in Fighters. He's bigger, has longer reach, and can take more heavy hits so he has to be slower.

Rizen I'm sorry man, fight hard for her.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've always seen it as Link is just simply bigger. In Brawl - Smash4 he was based on his Twilight Princess model, which had chainmail fitted inside of it, which would also explain his heft and slow speed.

Plus in BotW, I've always assumed the Champion Tunic had to be plated on the inside or something since it has the highest defense in the game. So if he's still moving slower than the other two, that will be my headcanon.

But in all actuality, that's usually just how it goes in Fighters. He's bigger, has longer reach, and can take more heavy hits so he has to be slower.

Rizen I'm sorry man, fight hard for her.
Link can only jump as high as an ordinary person in his video game, and can only run fast if he puts his things away which he never does in Smash. The highest any Link has ''jumped'' (Revali's Gale is just riding wind) was Toon Link in Minish Cap via Roc's Cape.

emefcue

Smash Cadet
Link can only jump as high as an ordinary person in his video game, and can only run fast if he puts his things away which he never does in Smash. The highest any Link has ''jumped'' (Revali's Gale is just riding wind) was Toon Link in Minish Cap via Roc's Cape.
Link junped high in 4 swords adventure. I think the item was called rocs feather

Iridium

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhiLe5dqqxnKQ7RzMEBYFz3A2DHSEXYAo

This is a playlist for the SSBU Demo at Japan Expo. Otakuni :ultlink: was there (don't know if this was in France or somewhere else), and Majora :ultlink: had a video as well, so we have 10 videos of footage here for Link! Is there anything interesting you guys found? If anything, I noticed that bombs kill significantly earlier than they did in SSB4.

Edit: Yeah, it was in France.

Last edited:

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhiLe5dqqxnKQ7RzMEBYFz3A2DHSEXYAo

This is a playlist for the SSBU Demo at Japan Expo. Otakuni :ultlink: was there (don't know if this was in France or somewhere else), and Majora :ultlink: had a video as well, so we have 10 videos of footage here for Link! Is there anything interesting you guys found? If anything, I noticed Remote Bombs kill significantly earlier than they did in SSB4.
I noticed uptilt starts behind Link now which makes first hit bair into uptilt juggling way more consistent. Overall his combo game got a lot better through his speed and amazing new (old) boomerang so I'm fine that his bombs lost combo potential in exchange for better pressuring in neutral. Overall I'm very optimistic about Link.

Iridium

Smash Hero

This is easily some of the best footage for :ultlink: ever in SSBU so far. Feel free to analyze anything here!

Tri Knight

Smash Ace

This is easily some of the best footage for :ultlink: ever in SSBU so far. Feel free to analyze anything here!
That hit into the bomb blast was the most beautiful set up I've ever seen.

If this is what our game is gonna be like, then I'm so content. He played exactly the way I envisioned Link should be able to play.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

There isn't much to say about that besides the Marth was really bad. He ran into attacks and had no sense of punishing or footsies. IMO this is a much more realistic game:
The biggest changes are Link's run speed looks faster, Dair has very little landing lag and Dthrow doesn't seem to combo. Anytime you add mobility to a character it improves their entire game ex: :4bowser: I've played against Ness and his superior mobility was a big factor in the MU being +1 in Ness' favor in SSB4, imo. Now it looks about even. Link probably has a larger window to combo Fair from close range boomerang. The back and forth was pretty standard; Ness is better up close but Link has the heavyweight powerhouse factor where one pivot Fsmash takes a stock at 73% off the side (3:44). Except now it's a little harder for Ness to close the gap. Fair seems to connect both hits fine, which was something I was worried about; in SSB4 floaties like Zelda could pop out of Link's jab and Fsmash. Link's upB recovery seems to have more horizontal distance but less vertical. Link airdodges then SDs (2:25) which might be because unfimaliraty with the game but it also shows how Link's recovery is more exploitable without a tether. At 1:50 Ness grabs Link out of jab so he probably tried to jab cancel and it didn't work. As mentioned, Utilt starts behind Link which is great for bair1 combos. Fair1>land might combo; Link tried it once but picking up his bomb actually got in the way. Losing Dthrow combos really sucks.

Something to note about Ness is PKThunder got indirectly nerfed by the new airdodges so chasing opponents above you is much riskier. But they help his recovery, like all characters.

edit, I've also noticed that launches have lower trajectories for many characters' attacks that don't hit upwards.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

I also noticed that up tilt and up air still have good kill power. I wonder how well of an anti-air up tilt in particular could be. Down tilt seems really safe on shield when spaced correctly as well, so nothing too new there. Neutral air is still good, and missed techs can still be read and punished hard. One thing I have not seen much of yet would be up throw, as I cannot say if it has better kill power or not, but forward and back throw seem to do a better job and keeping the opponent away. Rizen Rizen , I definitely agree that down throw is not better at all. Perhaps a little more hitstun would not hurt, but I do not like seeing opponents be able to airdodge out of it at almost any percent.

Rizen

Smash Legend

I also noticed that up tilt and up air still have good kill power. I wonder how well of an anti-air up tilt in particular could be. Down tilt seems really safe on shield when spaced correctly as well, so nothing too new there. Neutral air is still good, and missed techs can still be read and punished hard. One thing I have not seen much of yet would be up throw, as I cannot say if it has better kill power or not, but forward and back throw seem to do a better job and keeping the opponent away. Rizen Rizen , I definitely agree that down throw is not better at all. Perhaps a little more hitstun would not hurt, but I do not like seeing opponents be able to airdodge out of it at almost any percent.
I noticed PK Fire made the bomb explode in Link's hand, although he might have dropped it. That makes me wonder what would happen if fire attacks like Captain Falcon's downB hit Link while holding a bomb.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I noticed PK Fire made the bomb explode in Link's hand, although he might have dropped it. That makes me wonder what would happen if fire attacks like Captain Falcon's downB hit Link while holding a bomb.
I could imagine the bombs now have damage thresholds as well, as I can say I have seen Ganondorf forward smash one to make it explode. As for fire, maybe it does immediately explode bombs for Link. I don't think opponents would be quick enough to catch him once he gets launched though, due to the bombs being stronger. Good catch!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good find, definetly something I 'll remember for sure.

Iridium

Smash Hero
https://youtu.be/vOwu8OXJik4

Just watched this video. Rough one for the Link. Ike is looking WAY more threatening. He's fast as hell compared to the past.
I do wonder how well edgeguards will work against :ultike: though.:ultlink: losing his tether recovery does make recovery hard for him, even if tether recoveries were nerfed. Ike's recovery never was considered really good, so I wonder has his been nerfed at all. Otakuni was really unfortunate with the edgeguards done against him, I look forward to seeing his recovery become better. I think it would be fitting :ultlink: has better distance of his Spin Attack horizontally and vertically compared to :ulttoonlink: & :ultyounglink: to make up for his lack of a tether.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's hope they reduce speed before launch.
Hell no, I've waited for this speed buff for 10 years and after being F and E tier for the length of that, I'm ready to be at least mid-tier.

Side note though, outside of range I'm finding it very hard to see the benefit of this new Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
https://youtu.be/vOwu8OXJik4

Ike is looking WAY more threatening. He's fast as hell compared to the past.
IDK about that. There's a good ike in my region and Ike with stage control is scary. Ike is slightly underrated in SSB4 and should be in the same tier as Link imo.

Without Zair and normal bombs Link will have more trouble vs faster swordies and mid-range zoners. I don't think the MU's as bad as that game made it seem but it's probably worse than in SSb4 (even or slight advantage Link imo) :/

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hell no, I've waited for this speed buff for 10 years and after being F and E tier for the length of that, I'm ready to be at least mid-tier.

Side note though, outside of range I'm finding it very hard to see the benefit of this new Link.
Not Link.

Top Bottom