• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Botw definitely should be the fastest considering he is more athletic, climbing mountains with his hands, running up large hills and slopes. Even with the stamina (which I think is more of a game balancing mechanic more than anything) compared to previous Links he seems faster and stronger.

TP would be the only one who could match in physical strength, but I doubt that.
Squirtle should be the slowest of the trainer's Pokemon on account of having the lowest base speed due to being unevolved, and yet he's the fastest.

Also keep in mind BOTW Link is only faster when he puts his gear away, which he never does in Smash.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Pretty good price. I never could quite get into the soulsborne games as much until Bloodborne. Probably my favorite. I was debating on giving the Dark Souls remaster a shot, but now I'm not so sure.

Lately I've been addicted to Octopath Traveler. Holy hell this game is fun.
It's actually very fun and hard as hell. You have to take DS1 for what it is: a much stiffer and more primitive souls game. Once I got used to that the combat became more about stratedgy. Kind of like how the original LoZ played.

DS3 is a great game that's probably closer to Bloodborne. I'd recommend that.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Squirtle should be the slowest of the trainer's Pokemon on account of having the lowest base speed due to being unevolved, and yet he's the fastest.

Also keep in mind BOTW Link is only faster when he puts his gear away, which he never does in Smash.
Yeah Pokemon in this seem to not like following canon, so comparing Link's probably isn't the way to compare smash4 and ultimate Link. Either way he is faster now which is a plus.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I was playing Project M the other day, and I realized how brutal and scary Link could be if he had almost all of his flaws fixed from Melee/Sm4sh (basically good followups, more utility out of boomerang and bombs, good aerials and good frame data). We definitely won't get a Project M Link in Ultimate, but I hope they're finally taking steps towards a more aggressive Link that feels good to play. Also messing around with Snake to work on strategical play more (I'm very good at throwing out attacks and reacting quickly to my opponent: my struggle is using my attacks and movement in an efficient matter).

Iridium

Smash Hero
I was playing Project M the other day, and I realized how brutal and scary Link could be if he had almost all of his flaws fixed from Melee/Sm4sh (basically good followups, more utility out of boomerang and bombs, good aerials and good frame data). We definitely won't get a Project M Link in Ultimate, but I hope they're finally taking steps towards a more aggressive Link that feels good to play. Also messing around with Snake to work on strategical play more (I'm very good at throwing out attacks and reacting quickly to my opponent: my struggle is using my attacks and movement in an efficient matter).
We will probably never get it again, but imagine how much better Link would be with a frame 4 n-air. I also still want to see if Link's d-tilt spike is better in SSBU, because the nerf to it in SSB4 was more than unnecessary.

A less clunky f-tilt would be nice too (looking at endlag), although more range could potentially maybe for better/safer two-frames. U-tilt needs to hit/reach better for its animation. And finally, I would like to see u-throw become more of a kill throw, as it definitely seems like it could be.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm currently about to enter Sen's fortress. My build is based around strength because I used sorceries and pyros in DS3. I'll use the butcher knife I got from the red phantom in the swamp once it's upgraded; the B scaling in strength and reach is much better than my starting axe.

Whenever I use the master key I get Havel-ed. Screw that guy. At least in DS3 he was tucked away in an end game area. I haven't figured out how to get past the hydra yet either. It keeps sniping me off the ladder. I figure I'll take on it and the Ceaseless Discharge after bulking up.

So far the only thing that's given me a lot of trouble were the bell gargoyles. The 2nd one spitting fire is hell to deal with. I ended up looking online how to beat them and summoning phantom NPCs to help; then it was too easy :/. The asylum and Taurus Demon are both easy to circle and react to. Quelaag's tanky but slow.

I used a fire keeper soul before learning you can bring them to the jailed NPC to increase estus proficiency. Then after finding another in blight town I returned to find that character died and I can't even light the bonfire in the firelink ruins. No game screws you like the DS series.

The game is fun but seems very primitive compared to DS3. It's weird playing them in this order. DS1 plays very slow and rigid.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
DS1's actually my personal favorite. Things felt like they had weight to them and you couldn't just get a sword with a "do anime move" on it. Everything felt like it had to be done deliberately and with a plan and the world's interconnectedness still hasn't been matched in the series. Well Bloodborne comes close.

Havel's great. He does ONE thing and it's a do-or-die overhead slam.
The best part about Havel is going back to him once you've gained personal experience and just parrying every single one of his swings with your bare hand.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully I get better with Link in this, great and fun character I want to master, with Mario.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Smashboards has been screwing up a lot lately, like failing to load after I post.

****. The. CATACOMBS!
This area's the perfect storm of DS1 being incredibly hard, having a stupidly rigid system and poor level design. I like how you have to kill necromancers to stop the skeletons from resurrecting, the switches for doors and labyrinth themes. But damn it gets painfully cumbersome and repetitive when you have to back track through after every troll that kills you. And the AI is inconsistent so you can't completely muscle-memory through. Even the skinny skeletons have big spheres of collision that can be hard to get past and bump you off ledges.
I beat the black knight; after a few tries of him spawning down with the wheel skeletons and BS like him sniping my landing, I finally got him alone for the kill. But then there's the wheels who are by far the worst enemy in the game, able to grind away your entire health bar and don't stop for shields. So it took several attempts of wading through the cannon fodder to get back there and work out a strategy of going through the side rout, rather than dropping from where the knight was, and killing them one by one. Sometimes they'd fall out of the map.
Pinwheel went down first try but left NO FIREPIT. I ended up falling in the darkness and losing all my souls, and back tracking AGAIN through all the **** to get to the tomb of the giants where everybody's most hated NPC Patches was. I got the lantern but it did nothing and I fell to my death again. Then I figured out it only works in the ****ing LEFT hand. I have so much rage right now.

DS3 had too many bonfires sure, but at least it gave you one after bosses. A simple ladder shortcut and fire after pinwheel would have made the experience challenging without being painfully repetitive and artificially extending the game many unnecessary hours for no reward. This is bad game design.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I beat the lower level of undeadberg without much trouble, although the damn dogs make the Capra Demon super annoying. Then the Depths were easy. Blight town is a fun area; I already went through the other side. Not much to say about these. Then I killed Ceaseless with the speedrunner cheese strat. It's one of those bosses that's very hard or stupidly easy if you know what to do.

Sen's Fortress is really fun but I accidentally hit Sigward when fighting the snakemen, he turned hostel and I had to kill him. Hopefully that won't haunt me later. DS has a thousand ways to screw you for a whole playthrough. The iron giant knocked me off the fortress once but was pretty easy. I bone-warped back to the fire rather than wasting all my souls again. So I had to backtrack through the fortress. Then i found there is a fire at the start of Anor Londo, unlike the Tomb Of The Giants, smh. But at least it's good experience.

Edit p4
I went through Anor Londo without too much trouble, although the silver knights can be dangerous if they get the upperhand. Thanks to DS3 I knew to unlock the main gate for an easy shortcut. AL has good shortcuts and bonfire placement. The fire after entering the castle helped keep things fresh. Now I have to beat Orenstien and Smog. I took O down once but Smog surprised me at half health with an electric butt pound AoE. The hardest part of this fight is dealing with the lock on feature. And their combos sucks. I think if I can take out O again Smog will go down next time too. Because the giant blacksmith I have a +10 serpent greatsword and am in good shape.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been busy helping my mom move into a place without stairs. Moving's always a pain in the butt. As for gaming, I took a break from DS1 to hunt behemoth in Monster Hunter World. Now that that is done it's back to dark souls.

Iridium

Smash Hero
dude YEET smash put up a video of craziest moments in Ultimate and they didn't put in any of the awesome Link footage in there TT
To be fair, that tourney was not recent, as none of it appeared at all there. Nintendo UK had an invitational recently, and Nintendo had their own tourney for kids 18 and under I believe.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, I don't want to drop Link for Simon, so maybe I'll just try both. Both could work as zoners with long range. Seeing Simon have a tether makes me wish Link had one in BOTW (could be a simple chain), so he could have one in Smash. Richter has gotten no talk, but he is like Simon, so there pretty much is no point.

Uh, I don't want to drop Link for Simon, so maybe I'll just try both. Both could work as zoners with long range. Seeing Simon have a tether makes me wish Link had one in BOTW (could be a simple chain), so he could have one in Smash. Richter has gotten no talk, but he is like Simon, so there pretty much is no point.
Daaaaaaamn, a chain in BotW would have been dope. From what i've seen so far (i think Sakurai mentionned it too) Simon is strong and more laggy. Both him and Link will definetly be good zoners but i'm guessing Simon will hit harder and Link will be the quicker one.

But man did you see the projectile blocking with the whip? Pretty handy stuff.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I been thinking I always wanted Link to use his shield in his attacks.

Maybe replace one of his jabs with a shield bash

I been thinking I always wanted Link to use his shield in his attacks.

Maybe replace one of his jabs with a shield bash
I know he already has good specials but a counter BotW style would have been great.

And don't even start me on the GLIDER (up B instead of the spin)! Would have been a great chance to buff his recovery. I mean the spin is cool and all but pretty hard to use in fast paced games (except as an emergency button).

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I know he already has good specials but a counter BotW style would have been great.

And don't even start me on the GLIDER (up B instead of the spin)! Would have been a great chance to buff his recovery. I mean the spin is cool and all but pretty hard to use in fast paced games (except as an emergency button).
Sorry while the glider is nice it should not replace his spin attack. I would have it act like Peaches hover, most effectively if you’re launched to one of the top corners

Helm_Splitter.gif

I was thinking more of the Helm Splitter.

Sorry while the glider is nice it should not replace his spin attack. I would have it act like Peaches hover, most effectively if you’re launched to one of the top corners

I was thinking more of the Helm Splitter.
Ah! I see now. Good call about the glider, i didn't think about peach hover. I know it echoes what you said in the bomb thread but bomb jump would be a good way to get Link out alive of those corners. In addition to his new jumps buff he could have a pretty decent recovery.

Although the bombs can potentially kill now so bomb jump would be playing with fire.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Ah! I see now. Good call about the glider, i didn't think about peach hover. I know it echoes what you said in the bomb thread but bomb jump would be a good way to get Link out alive of those corners. In addition to his new jumps buff he could have a pretty decent recovery.

Although the bombs can potentially kill now so bomb jump would be playing with fire.

Great way to dive into a sex kick as well.

I always found the bomb jump to be playing with fire but it doesn’t matter when you hold the triforce of courage

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Anyone else kinda hoping we get a slight mechanic change with double-knocking arrows? Like an arrow shield cancel to double-knock the next attack? Might be a lot to ask, but one can hope right?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Anyone else kinda hoping we get a slight mechanic change with double-knocking arrows? Like an arrow shield cancel to double-knock the next attack? Might be a lot to ask, but one can hope right?
Are you asking about shield cancelling a single arrow to use it for a double arrow later? That would be so cool! I hope I'm not looking at that wrong.

Anyway, I still want to see a wall jump and cling be implemented for Link. Maybe his sneaking animation in BOTW can be like a semi-crawl! His shield bash could be perhaps used for his perfect shield, although I can't say whether that would be useful.

It would be perfect (shield cancel to double-knock). If it's not the case i wonder what will be the best way to grab an arrow. There should be a simple mechanic to do so, if not the ability to shoot double arrows will be quite useless in a real fight.

D

Deleted member

Using shield, would be cool, think he's fine but I wouldn't mind.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Well, here is some more Link gameplay. So, what do you think? I honestly can't think of what to say about Link's run speed (seems good, but it's too early to compare). Don't jab in your opponent's face up close, and that's about all I got.

Edit: Dash attack is really good for getting KOs still too.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^TBH I see bombs being used much less in all the ssbu videos than in ssb4. Remote bombs are a good nuke but lost the spam-ability, combos, CQC options, recovery aid and disadvantage state aid. I still think normal bombs were much better.
It would be perfect (shield cancel to double-knock). If it's not the case i wonder what will be the best way to grab an arrow.
SH>fire arrow through pass-through platform so it lands on it>Z catch>land.

^TBH I see bombs being used much less in all the ssbu videos than in ssb4. Remote bombs are a good nuke but lost the spam-ability, combos, CQC options, recovery aid and disadvantage state aid. I still think normal bombs were much better.

SH>fire arrow through pass-through platform so it lands on it>Z catch>land.
Good point. Although there's probably a way to do it without platforms (In omega stages, final destination and such).

I was wondering, maybe the arrows bounce back on an enemy's shield when activated (and then drop to the ground).

I've rewatched Ultimate footages and can't find anyone using arrows. I guess people who played previous smash games just use the boomerang over the arrows (with good reasons).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm bored and irritable. I pull my wrist helping my mom move and now the tendon is inflamed and I can't play videogames. I'm careful to not get tendonitis and don't play through the pain. That could result in permanent injury.
Also a couple things I planned to do today got canceled.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

Well, here is some more Link gameplay. So, what do you think? I honestly can't think of what to say about Link's run speed (seems good, but it's too early to compare). Don't jab in your opponent's face up close, and that's about all I got.

Edit: Dash attack is really good for getting KOs still too.
Is no one going to talk about Link's reanimated victory pose?

Screenshot_2018-08-12-13-07-03.png
The angle looks pretty cool, but what bothers me is how his elbow is sticking out towards the camera. He looks so uncomfortable. :(

Iridium

Smash Hero
Is no one going to talk about Link's reanimated victory pose?
The angle looks pretty cool, but what bothers me is how his elbow is sticking out towards the camera. He looks so uncomfortable. :(
Hmmm. It looks like he twisted his arm. Hopefully they fix that. Maybe he shouldn't have his arm there.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Hey guys I was thinking of the bomb jump... And if is true that the bomb sends you to a much horizontal trajectory, then we could just aim to the wall on the side of the stage and get a tech? In that regard the we could mix up with a jump wall tech or a simple tech, just to keep our opponents guessing... what do you guys think?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hey guys I was thinking of the bomb jump... And if is true that the bomb sends you to a much horizontal trajectory, then we could just aim to the wall on the side of the stage and get a tech? In that regard the we could mix up with a jump wall tech or a simple tech, just to keep our opponents guessing... what do you guys think?
I was thinking of that too, although this is more less going to be common when recovering below the ledge. The amount of inputs I have to get right though . . .

We will need practice if this is very useful basically.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I was thinking of that too, although this is more less going to be common when recovering below the ledge. The amount of inputs I have to get right though . . .

We will need practice if this is very useful basically.
Yes we will have to practice tech and be very good at it... We can even save our doble jump just to have more mix ups or if we end bellow the stage. My point is maybe we can work out this nerf recovery thing, if links bomb keeps the same kb plus with the new balloon effect, maybe our recovery is not that predictable as we initially thought.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yes we will have to practice tech and be very good at it... We can even save our doble jump just to have more mix ups or if we end bellow the stage. My point is maybe we can work out this nerf recovery thing, if links bomb keeps the same kb plus with the new balloon effect, maybe our recovery is not that predictable as we initially thought.
True, true. I'm going to miss his tether deeply, though. Otherwise, his Spin Attack seems to have unchanged distance, which I guess isn't so bad. It sucks that we didn't get anything back for the loss of our tether, though. I mean, we have a new bomb recovery, but a tether for Link would have really been important in a game like this.

Nevertheless, I'll do with what we have. The amount of horizontal distance we could cover should actually be pretty good!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyone see any good movies? I found Justice League Dark online; it was pretty good, not great. The beginning is actually very dark then the rest is pretty standard superhero/magic stuff. Batman always has the superpower of 'plot armor'.

Link stuff: I think bomb recoveries might help far offstage situations but will be overall less useful than before. The new issues are you can't renew upB with them and have to input downB to detonate the bomb, which causes fast falling. The reason Snake's C4 recoveries are good is he can act out of upB, cheeky b******.

Top Bottom