• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Zelda II: Adventure of Link was pretty nice. I liked the music and the different playstyle. Oh, what I would do to play it again...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Rizen Rizen if your looking into superhero animated movies, you should give Batman Assult on Arkham a watch. It is based on the Arkham video game universe and is basically what the Suicide Squad movie should have been

Also fav Zelda games are Majora's Mask for it's awesome dungeons, Skyward Sword for it's character and story and Spirit Tracks cause it was my first Zelda and has the best overworld theme

:135:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well I beat DS1 Remastered. Overall I'd say the game was easier than DS3 once I figured out how good long reaching thrust weapons like halberds and spears are, even more so with a great shield. DS1 is like having someone give you a wheelbarrow full of rocks and say "some of these a geodes, figure it out". It has great level design, very fun worlds and enemies to fight, great weapon variety on one hand. But on the other there's a lot of unnecessary backtracking due to extremely limited warping and specialized blacksmiths, illusionary walls force you to roll against every wall and many have no indication of hiding a secret, weapon clanking makes some weapons like great swords terrible choices in most areas, wonky hitboxes, it's unclear where you can walk at times and generally the system is extremely rigid with lots of kinks to iron out. It's a great game if you're willing to wade through a lot of bull**** to find it. 8.5/10.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I decided today to go back and play the original Majora's Mask (to be specific the version on the gamecube collector's edition) to see if it is actually better then the remake and got to say while it still does hold up well, I am missing a lot of just very little quality of life things that the 3ds version has to offer; Manual camera control, gyro aiming (as well as non inverted aiming) and easier item equipping with the touch screen. Also I've been experience a fair bit of slow down with the game, in particular in Clock Town, which just sort of adds to the some what clunkier feel compared to the remake

:135:

Iridium

Smash Hero
That new taunt will be very satisfying to use, although I really the others too. Mixing it up will be my go to option.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I honestly wish Link got the Ryu treatment with his FS, with a barrage of slashes into a finisher (doesn't have to be Triforce Slash), and his Ancient Bow and Arrow from long range. It would also be a great way to further represent his short and long-range capabilities.
What do you all think? Should have shared this here earlier.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What do you all think? Should have shared this here earlier.
Triforce slash made no sense but was visually appealing. Ancient arrow is the opposite. I prefer TS but don't care too much as a competitive player.

I watched the live Doctor Strange movie on net flicks. The graphics were great, of course, but the story seemed rushed and clunky. Instead of emotional progression we were rushed to the next CGI kaleidoscope. I actually prefer the animated movie because the story telling was better. For example, in the live movie the ancient one punches Strange and he flies through other dimensions to show him magic. In the animated movie we get a long progression from Strange simply seeing the ancient one (TAO) levitating, then he's shown to a room with only straw and told 'comforts must be earned'. There's a montage of Strange washing the floor and tearing down a wall each day only to have it be rebuilt the next. He gradually learns humility and earns more comforts in his room. Then we get this scene:
It's elegant to have TAO simply tug the seemingly heavy block to show strange the world is how he perceives it to teach him about magic.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

Rizen Rizen Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane

What do you think about Link now? There were some item interruptions, but we can still analyze something.

Edit: Z-drop bomb looks really good.
Link looks like a mixed bag; a step forward in some areas but a step back in others.

Pros:
Better mobility is a huge buff. The new jump squat will extend the % range Dtilt>Fair works.
Boomerang is much better and this works well with his increased mobility.
Increased sword range helps him fight other swordies like Marth.
DLC characters seem better balanced and heavies like DK and Bowser lost their ding dong combos. So Link is indirectly buffed in some MUs by balancing.
Utilt hits behind Link first so Bair 1>land probably true combos at a wide % range.
Fair hits twice for more damage overall and possibly Fair1>land>jab combos.
Grab is better overall. Link lost his nice midrange pressure but gained a faster grab he can tomahawk with.

Gimmicky:
You can pick up and fire 2 arrows but this seems largely situational because it prevents use of sword attacks while you hold one. Opponents might be able to pick them up too. For throwing items they only look good for minor chip damage. Unless something like Z drop combos are true, this change doesn't seem to have much impact on competitive play.

Cons:
Remote bombs seem like a strait nerf. You get 8% by hitting someone with one as opposed to 5+11% old bomb>Fair 1 combo. There can only be 1 out at a time. If it's held or possibly pocked by villager Link loses the ability to detonate it. They always hurt Link and therefor have bad close quarter combat potential. No timer means they can't renew upB or break chains. I'm not saying bombs are a terrible move; they're one of the better nuke moves for long range pressure. They just aren't as good and versatile as before.
No Zair for zoning swordies or mixing up recoveries.
Dthrow no longer combos. At first I though this would probably get patched but after learning other heavy weights also lost their throw combos it seems unlikely. This really sucks. Link used to get good damage and kill at 90-110% on a large part of the cast from a grab.
Provided Link has the same poor frame data, he'll still get out-boxed by the CQC characters, juggled, with worse zoning from remote bombs and no Zair. Remote bombs don't cover landings very well. This means Link's disadvantage state will be bad. In SSB4 Zair and bombs really improved his disadvantage.
Predictable recovery (more so) with no tether. Link used to be able to use his amazing FF airdodge above the stage>tether the ledge from underneath and he can't now.
Other characters have less landing lag but Link only got Dair's lag reduced. In SSB4 Link already had very low lag on N/F/B/Zair but now the gap is shortened.
New airdodges escape Link's frame trap, long lasting/multihit attacks (Usmash, F/U/D/Nair). So if Link tries to follow up with Uair and the opponent sideways airdodges they'll probably be safe.
Some previously good MUs like Ganon got buffed making Link worse relatively.

IDK how every character will be balanced but Link doesn't look better than in SSB4. He'll probably end up similar to Ike; a heavyweight sword character who gets abused pretty hard in disadvantage but also hits hard. If he gets frame data buffs it will be different but as of now that seems unlikely. A character with a F7 jab as his fastest ground attack is going to have trouble in CQC if he can't zone. I think once people learn to pressure Link and shield properly he'll be mid-tier at best. IMO Link's getting away with more than he should in demo games due to inexperience with the new shielding system and MUs.

Rizen Rizen Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane

What do you think about Link now? There were some item interruptions, but we can still analyze something.

Edit: Z-drop bomb looks really good.
Still cool to see the new bombs in action! Z drop looks good indeed ;) especially for edgegarding imo.

Gimmicky:
You can pick up and fire 2 arrows but this seems largely situational because it prevents use of sword attacks while you hold one. Opponents might be able to pick them up too. For throwing items they only look good for minor chip damage. Unless something like Z drop combos are true, this change doesn't seem to have much impact on competitive play.
I'd love to see this gimmick in action but so far, with the all footage we got, i haven't seen someone shooting double arrows yet (not a lot of players are using arrows in general). I agree with you, in fast pace games like in competitive play it may be hard to pull off. I'm staying hopeful until we actually see it in action tho.

Btw do you guys think we'll have more footage from Best Buy demos? If Best Buy allows people to record footage i think we can expect a ton of new footage. As for myself, i live in Quebec and there's no Best Buy close to where i live, so i won't have the chance to try it unfortunately...

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Still cool to see the new bombs in action! Z drop looks good indeed ;) especially for edgegarding imo.

I'd love to see this gimmick in action but so far, with the all footage we got, i haven't seen someone shooting double arrows yet (not a lot of players are using arrows in general). I agree with you, in fast pace games like in competitive play it may be hard to pull off. I'm staying hopeful until we actually see it in action tho.

Btw do you guys think we'll have more footage from Best Buy demos? If Best Buy allows people to record footage i think we can expect a ton of new footage. As for myself, i live in Quebec and there's no Best Buy close to where i live, so i won't have the chance to try it unfortunately...
I actually have checked for footage, but the angles are weird, and I don't see too much Link anyway.

Knowing that, there's this too:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sorry to be this guy but IMO Link looks like a complete tool in his tunic of the wild outfit. I hope he has a TwiLink alt.

I'm thinking about getting a Switch. What adventure style games are good?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Sorry to be this guy but IMO Link looks like a complete tool in his tunic of the wild outfit. I hope he has a TwiLink alt.

I'm thinking about getting a Switch. What adventure style games are good?
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for someone else to show up here.

The 6th alt is still pretty much the closest we have to TP Link.

Anyway, you should try Mega Man 11 when it comes out next month, for Switch games at least.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyway, you should try Mega Man 11 when it comes out next month, for Switch games at least.
Does that have a slide feature? I like the MMX and Zero games because their fast paced action but am not a big fan of traditional MM games.

I'll probably get Mario Odyssey* first. It looked pretty good and after beating it I can finally watch speedruns on youtube of it. Smash Ultimate is my main reason for buying a switch. Starlink BfA looks good but I'm put off by the constant talking heads. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 will not take too long to release and be good. MP3 was good but my least favorite of the trilogy; due to cutoff 'levels' as planets and more interaction with the federation than bushwacking through an alien world.

*that is a hard word to spell.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Does that have a slide feature? I like the MMX and Zero games because their fast paced action but am not a big fan of traditional MM games.

I'll probably get Mario Odyssey* first. It looked pretty good and after beating it I can finally watch speedruns on youtube of it. Smash Ultimate is my main reason for buying a switch. Starlink BfA looks good but I'm put off by the constant talking heads. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 will not take too long to release and be good. MP3 was good but my least favorite of the trilogy; due to cutoff 'levels' as planets and more interaction with the federation than bushwacking through an alien world.

*that is a hard word to spell.
Do you mean slide as in what Mega man can do in terms of abilities? There is a demo for the game, so I'll find some footage.

The Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna expansion should be nice too, if you're a fan.

Edit: You got odyssey right.

Also, do you mean slide like this?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Do you mean slide as in what Mega man can do in terms of abilities? There is a demo for the game, so I'll find some footage.

The Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna expansion should be nice too, if you're a fan.

Edit: You got odyssey right.

Also, do you mean slide like this?

Yeah vanilla MM's slide is like X's dash. That does look fun.

I went on a trip and got sunburnt (dammit :facepalm:) but also some great pictures of Colorado in the fall. It was a scenic train ride someone claimed to be the best in the country. I'll post the pics when I get around to sorting and uploading them.

edit it was the 'cumbres toltec scenic railroad'. I posted the pics here. They're big so I didn't want to post in multiple locations.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
@ Rizen Rizen if you think his new boomerang with out the gale pushing and pulling effect is a good thing and better.

Well then you never gimped a guy who had you on the edge with it.

Right? I kinda like the vertical angle it launches at now honestly.

Edit: Have you all seen this?
I getting use to the idea of no pants. We got to remove the boy shorts though

Just remove the brown shorts and sleeves.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Rizen Rizen if you think his new boomerang with out the gale pushing and pulling effect is a good thing and better.

Well then you never gimped a guy who had you on the edge with it.

I getting use to the idea of no pants. We got to remove the boy shorts though

Just remove the brown shorts and sleeves.
I actually have gimped :4zelda: in a match but there are only a few MUs I'd prefer the gale effect, specifically ones where the opponent's specials cause free falling: :4zelda::4lucas::4ness::4metaknight: and maybe :4bayonetta2: (the big windbox is great at disrupting her ladder spacing). Other than those I think returning hitstun is more useful. Although I do admit having wind reflected back at you is much better than a hitbox so the gale might be better vs reflectors too. IMO wind was more useful in Brawl with edgehogging, but it didn't break chaingrabs as well as a normal boomerang so I'd still have picked the regular one even then.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
maybe it’s good to go back to the old style. But three normal boomerangs seems Boring

Still think botw Link and SS Link should of been their own newcomers with their own slots. We can have five Links we should have five Link

Last edited:
I don't think we've seen Tink's boomerang yet.
I think you're right. Although it would be suprising to have Toon Link use a different boomerang than the one from WW.

maybe it’s good to go back to the old style. But three normal boomerangs seems Boring
You know what would have been a cool new boomerang for Champion Link:

:p

Joking aside, i would have loved to see the Lizal Boomerang for Link, i think it's the most common in BotW. Classic boomerangs are pretty rare in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom