• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Damn, YLink's Final Smash is Triforce Slash... kind of a missed opportunity if you ask me...

Could just be cause they are the only voice actors can afford/ have easy access to/did new voices and lines for characters
Shulk's little grunt was just pulled form his existing audio. The way World of Light looks to be structured, there probably won't be many cinematic cutscenes, so they probably just grabbed some of the voice actors and said "Hey can you record like three extra lines pls thanks"
Apparently, it was stated in the japanese version of the direct that the cinematic we saw was the only one in Adventure mode, i really hope it isn't true. Someone on the Skull Kid thread talked about it earlier i'm still waiting for the source tho.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Damn, YLink's Final Smash is Triforce Slash... kind of a missed opportunity if you ask me...

Apparently, it was stated in the japanese version of the direct that the cinematic we saw was the only one in Adventure mode, i really hope it isn't true. Someone on the Skull Kid thread talked about it earlier i'm still waiting for the source tho.
Disappointing...
but not entirely unexpected.

I told yall if it aint broke it aint fixed.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I hope that's not the case. I wanted to see at least a couple of cutscenes when I save the characters and for when I defeat the boss

:135:

I hope that's not the case. I wanted to see at least a couple of cutscenes when I save the characters and for when I defeat the boss

Here's the source:
https://mobile.twitter.com/aevanko/status/1058013060319784962?s=21

This tweet doesn't link to anything, but I doubt someone would straight up lie about this. This person seems to understand Japanese.
I think it seems reliable but there's always a chance that the guy is wrong in his interpretation tho (as he states himself).

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Here's the source:

I think it seems reliable but there's always a chance that the guy is wrong in his interpretation tho (as he states himself).
Hm that sort of sucks if it's true. But then again if I remember correct in the English direct Sakurai called it an adventure mode, not story mode

D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai say back in some interview. That the teason they'd didn't do a big adventure mode, back in Sm4sh was because he did not want the scenes leaked on Youtube. Or shown off early as that ruin the experience?

I'm fine if that's the only cutscenes might make sense. Link was great on it. So it's okay.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Didn't Sakurai say back in some interview. That the teason they'd didn't do a big adventure mode, back in Sm4sh was because he did not want the scenes leaked on Youtube. Or shown off early as that ruin the experience?

I'm fine if that's the only cutscenes might make sense. Link was great on it. So it's okay.
Yeah he did, though I thought that might have just been in terms of cutscenes?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yes and that was a stupid reason. Most people try to avoid spoilers and everything will end up on the internet no matter what. Welcome to the 21st century. It's up to the viewers to keep experiences fresh.

D

Deleted member

The reason I being it up is because if that was his reason then. Could be the same here in Smash Ultimate.

So someone saying opening cutscenes is the only one wouldn't surprise me.

I think there maybe more, but it's fine adventure mode looks good. Can't wait to try world of light. No doubt Link will a big character in it I assume.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hope there are cutscenes. Subspace was really cool and the cutscenes kept me going.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
After thinking about it, it is probably in Sakurai's best interest not to make World of Light a story mode cause Story mode and fighting games usually don't meld well all that well.

More often then not you end up with one of two case;
A) The single player is non existent and is more just a visual novel (e.g Guilty Gear)

B) There is game play but it is very simple and often very repetitive (Dragon Ball Fighterz)

After the reception Smash 4 got with it's single player option, I think Sakurai and his team want to make sure there is something there that they can offer to solo players

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
GameExplain put a video where it shows a "video" segment in the Vault dedicated primarily to the World of Light cutscenes, so there will likely be more cutscenes.

D

Deleted member

That will be cool glad there will be more. Sure Link will have a big part in some of these cutscenes, Mario, Fox, Zelda ECT too. Hopefully King K. Rool and Ridley as well. Anyway not important.

Probably going to look cool the cutscenes.

Rizen

Smash Legend
This guy has some great videos spending waaaaaay too much time analyzing things like the lowest possible score in a Luigi game:
It's fun to watch.

Adventure mode looks like the events in other smash games but the cutscenes are cool so far. Lets take a moment to remember how awesome Brawl's cutscenes were:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys... if young link ends up being high tier then link and people start playing him more, you won't start hating him like you hated Toon Link during the brawl era will you?

D

Deleted member

Toon Link is cool, whatever happens he'll be a great character.

Just as good as the other Links.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hey guys... if young link ends up being high tier then link and people start playing him more, you won't start hating him like you hated Toon Link during the brawl era will you?

No, that was more of an AllisBrawl thing.

Edit, I beat Super Mario Odyssey. Here's my review.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Subspace Emissary is one of my favorite things about the game besides the boss mode. The cutscenes and bosses were so interesting and epic, making the mode worth beating.
However, the levels and enemies felt boring to get through because they were generic, which really bogged down on the replay value. It also didn't help that... well, characters like Link, Lucario, and Olimar suffered because most of the times the platforming/enemies didn't favor them at all. The Sticker system was super forgettable because I never used it, and part of it was from a lack of understanding of how they worked (the way damage buffs were separated confused me SO much). The Great Maze... let's say an average playthrough of SE takes 5-7 hours. The average playtime for The Great Maze (based on my experience and playthroughs on YouTube) is around 1hr-1hr 30min. That's roughly 20% of the mode, which is a LOT for just one level. There's even a speedrun category on the speedrun leaderboards entirely separate from the level leaderboard dedicated to The Great Maze.

Subspace was great and cool, but as you can see, was REALLY flawed gameplay-wise. I'm so glad they decided to improve vastly on the gameplay aspect for Ultimate with Spirits, and even if that comes at the cost of viewable cutscenes or sidescrolling stages, I would MUCH rather play this Adventure Mode versus the one in Brawl (especially because many characters like my boy Link will be SO much more bearable to play as this time around).

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Subspace was a good place to practice things like DACUS and invincible ledge hop Fair. I used to have all this tech skill but it's mostly gone to waste in later smash games.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Apparently all the DLC as been chosen and finalised for smash bros. Assuming a Zelda character was chosen, specifically from BOTW because of it's popularity and recent recognition, who you'd you like to see in make it in out of the Champions?

Personally I like all the champions nearly equally, though if I had to pick it would be either Mipha or Revali because while Mipha is obvious the more popular of the two, they could bring a really interesting moveset into smash and would just help to expand the diversity not only in the Zelda characters but also with weapons based fighters. Though if I'm honestly, Revali is mostly cause I really wanted to see Decidueye in smash

Rizen

Smash Legend
Apparently all the DLC as been chosen and finalised for smash bros. Assuming a Zelda character was chosen, specifically from BOTW because of it's popularity and recent recognition, who you'd you like to see in make it in out of the Champions?
In terms of gameplay, I'd like to see Daruk. A goron would be cool because he'd be a slow, heavy weight with a big weapon but with a fast mobility special in rolling. He could have a spindash-like side b and kirby's stone like down b as a goron pound. Maybe daruk's protection acts as a counter.

Edit
"I combined ZeRo's, Nairo's, Abadango's, and Dabuz's early Ultimate tier lists"

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9vchd6/i_combined_zeros_nairos_abadangos_and_dabuzs/

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
You know, since we're getting the Ultimate crossover video game, what if we got the Ultimate anime?

It's far-fetched since writing a good story that brings every single character in this game together as well as put that story in anime format would be absolutely INSANE, but... one can dream. An animated movie series, perhaps? Man, that would be insane...

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9vchd6/i_combined_zeros_nairos_abadangos_and_dabuzs/
I think once Ultimate drops, all three Links will move up some spots, with Young Link moving up the most. The recent gameplay Yink's gotten has caught both ZeRo's and M2K's attention since they immediately noticed his improved frame data and speed from Melee. Haven't seen much of Tink, but his speed and size will definitely help his matchups. Link not having a tether may seem like a big negative at first, but having the longest/strongest sword he's ever had, a decent grab, and a bomb he can detonate anytime will change his playstyle for the better.

Also, holy crap, the Ultimate tier lists and rankings are gonna be HUGE (man, I love using Ultimate as an adjective. So much better than "Melee" and "Brawl").

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Edit

I feel like people are still sleep on Pit. Literally most of the stuff that held him back in Smash 4 have pretty much all been removed. Sure he may not be top tier but he definitely isn't weak. Also while I am loving all the praise Young Link is receiving, I feel like people are jumping the gun a bit. Yeah he has a lot of crazy things about him like high speed and damage, but looking at the footage the is available, Young Link seems to really struggle ending a stock. Sure I doubt he will be low tier with the kit he has but they struggle to kill might hold him back compared to others

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
You know, since we're getting the Ultimate crossover video game, what if we got the Ultimate anime?
I can't wait to hear what the writer's put in for Link.

Marth: "Hey Link, where'd you get that shield?"
Link begins to open mouth as a loud truck plows into him.

Ganondorf: "Well well well, looky here. It's Robin Hood's lacky, but sporting blue today!"
Link scowls
Ganondorf: "Tell you what champ, if you don't want me to punch a literal hole through your younger self here, why don't you just say so."
Link: O_O
Ganondorf: "Oh come on now, surely you must have something to say to me."
Link stares blankly
Ganondorf: "Tell you what, why don't you go grab your 4 closest friends and see if they're on board to save him...you. I know the parrot was a talker! Or how about that sassy red-head with the lightning? Wouldn't mind chatting her up a bit actually, except wait, she's not my type. See, I'm not into dead chicks."
Link begins sweating, Young Link desperately begins panicking trying to get out of a cage
Ganondorf: "Last chance to save Peter Pan here!"
Link: "hyah?"
Ganondorf: "Oh so close! And don't think I don't appreciate the effort, but we were looking for more progress in this session. And now I have to be a good psychologist and remind you that it's time to say goodbye to your inner child..."

I don't know why, but I always picture Ganondorf's voice as being like Perfect Cell's from DBZ Abridged haha.

Last edited:

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I feel like people are still sleep on Pit. Literally most of the stuff that held him back in Smash 4 have pretty much all been removed. Sure he may not be top tier but he definitely isn't weak. Also while I am loving all the praise Young Link is receiving, I feel like people are jumping the gun a bit. Yeah he has a lot of crazy things about him like high speed and damage, but looking at the footage the is available, Young Link seems to really struggle ending a stock. Sure I doubt he will be low tier with the kit he has but they struggle to kill might hold him back compared to others

Bomb to fair or dair

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The fact King K. Rool is high up there makes me smile. Things could change but glad for now he's high tier. Mario glad he's high too.

Link will do well no doubt still believe that. Despite being seen as average tier he'll be fine.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Haven't been here in weeks. Dropped by to say that I'm still maining Link no matter what, for Ultimate. I don't care how much better Young Link looks, and I'd use him too. Toon Link looks great, but I hope he doesn't get left behind.

D

Deleted member

Same here he's a character I feel comfortable with and can get the job done when it matters most.

Definetly will always use him.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm trying to get a lv50 skell in Xenoblade Chronicles X but they cost a fortune so I'm just leaving the game on all night. There's a revenue system from data probes that pays you every so often.

We need someone who frequents this thread to take over so they can change the title. IMO YL is the true Link based on his zoning to combos gameplay. We need good LoZ references like "Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!" from LA.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Best tip I can give for lv50 skell is once you reach level 30 don't really bother buy any new equipment for you party members ground gear since you can often find pretty good gear on higher level monsters and change all of you FN probes in research probes. Don't really bother with mining ones since 3 of them connect is more then enough to get you the minarium you need. This has been the best strategy for me so far.

Speaking of Xenoblade X, I really want to start another save file to try out a different class combination but I really really don't want to lose all the progress I've made on my current file....
I hope it comes to the switch soon so I can have multiple save files

Rizen

Smash Legend
Speaking of Xenoblade X, I really want to start another save file to try out a different class combination but I really really don't want to lose all the progress I've made on my current file....
I hope it comes to the switch soon so I can have multiple save files

I had to erase my near complete save file but there was nothing left to do anyway. You can switch classes from the party menu. What I settled on upgrading was duelist with all long sword arts, offensive stance and skills that boost melee. In my previous file I had an OP either/core crusher build.

XBC X is a weird game. The main campaign is extremely cheesy with choices that have no bearing on what happens. Then the side missions are dark with things like cults and choices that could end up killing several characters. It's like the main and side writers were in 2 separate groups.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I had to erase my near complete save file but there was nothing left to do anyway. You can switch classes from the party menu. What I settled on upgrading was duelist with all long sword arts, offensive stance and skills that boost melee. In my previous file I had an OP either/core crusher build.

XBC X is a weird game. The main campaign is extremely cheesy with choices that have no bearing on what happens. Then the side missions are dark with things like cults and choices that could end up killing several characters. It's like the main and side writers were in 2 separate groups.
I did just find out you can have multiple accounts on the Wii U like the switch thus Multiple save files. So that's pretty good. Yeah I know I can switch class in the party menu but it's such a core late game to try and level them up get one specific thing. If I've played the game before for an RPG, I usually go in again with what class build I want in mind and once that is achieved, switch to a different class just to not was exp

Yeah that's the thing that confused me the most. Most of the Affinity and side mission actually got me really invested into a lot of the characters and the crisis that came with trying to build a new society of mixed races on a new world. But the main story just makes me want to slap most of the characters straight silly. Especially Lao. Gods Lao was such a waste of potential

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Does anyone have any confirmation on whether or not BOTW Link can use his new bomb to recover similar to how snake uses C4 to help him recover? The fact that he no longer has a tether recovery means that he's gonna need to rely more on his UpB to recover which can be punished in certain situations unless he has an alternative option for recovering.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any confirmation on whether or not BOTW Link can use his new bomb to recover similar to how snake uses C4 to help him recover? The fact that he no longer has a tether recovery means that he's gonna need to rely more on his UpB to recover which can be punished in certain situations unless he has an alternative option for recovering.
Now that he lost his tether, he can z-drop a remote bomb and blow it up.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I still have no idea if d-tilt spikes or not...

It's just something to keep in mind for me.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I still have no idea if d-tilt spikes or not...

It's just something to keep in mind for me.
We Young Link players are still trying to find out if we still have dtilt spike and more importantly the Fire Spike

Top Bottom