• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Iridium

Smash Hero
We Young Link players are still trying to find out if we still have dtilt spike and more importantly the Fire Spike

:135:
Fair enough. I still don't get why Sakurai nerfed Link's d-tilt to begin with, though. It wasn't that easy to get, was it? I know it used to act like in Melee and Brawl...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I bought that skell.

I liked Link's Dair better in Brawl when it didn't spike. F1 Dair was an extremely powerful upwards launching move. I had an easier time killing with it than the spike in SSB4. YL probably has an easier time spiking due to his superior speed and mobility. Still both Dairs start slow and last over 60 frames so they're not the best aerials to use offstage. IMO Dair's spike would be better as the late hitbox, rather than the early one.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I have finally decide on who I am going to main in Smash ultimate
Must say I am quiet pleased with my choices

SSBU mains plus ultra.png

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have finally decide on who I am going to main in Smash ultimate
Must say I am quiet pleased with my choices

View attachment 178430

Who's the middle guy?

I'll keep Link of course but will primarily focus on Young Link. I was going to 2nd Wolf but it looks like he got a lot of nerfs from Brawl. Fast Bair (f6 iirc) is nerfed to f13 and Fsmash was changed, which ruins to fun of Bair zoning>Fsmash. Newcomers I'm most interested in are Richter and Parana Plant.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Who's the middle guy?

I'll keep Link of course but will primarily focus on Young Link. I was going to 2nd Wolf but it looks like he got a lot of nerfs from Brawl. Fast Bair (f6 iirc) is nerfed to f13 and Fsmash was changed, which ruins to fun of Bair zoning>Fsmash. Newcomers I'm most interested in are Richter and Parana Plant.
The main character from My Hero Academia. I'm just referencing the fact that his hero costume looks very similar to default Mii Brawler. Also that Brawler has a throw counter, which is Deku is sort of know for

I'll definitely try Link or have him as a secondary, though I also have Robin, Sonic, Shulk, Roy, Zelda and maybe Sheik as secondaries too.
People have said similar things about Lucas being nerfed but Idk, it seems more like the dev team is trying to get rid of single trick game plans and change up playstyles more (i.e not having characters play entirely around one single move) rather than just nerfing cause they seemed too strong

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm becoming worried. I think I've only ever see Link lose in all the footage I've watched. I know these matches are super early, and actual Link players will build his meta, but his lack of hookshot and generally shoddy frame data makes me skeptical. :(

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm becoming worried. I think I've only ever see Link lose in all the footage I've watched. I know these matches are super early, and actual Link players will build his meta, but his lack of hookshot and generally shoddy frame data makes me skeptical. :(
Pretty much. I've been trying to search for literally any video I can find, and I can't find many competitive Links out there, which doesn't surprise me at all. Honestly, I don't think I've seen many top Links from other Smash games even try this demo yet, so maybe it's that.

Still going to main him, and I hope his mobility isn't so horrendously slow anymore, and that bomb recovery is useful enough.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pretty much. I've been trying to search for literally any video I can find, and I can't find many competitive Links out there, which doesn't surprise me at all. Honestly, I don't think I've seen many top Links from other Smash games even try this demo yet, so maybe it's that.

Still going to main him, and I hope his mobility isn't so horrendously slow anymore, and that bomb recovery is useful enough.
Play your bombs right and I imagine Link won't need to move much. Though faster jumpsquat is always a plus.

Honestly, having his old hook/clawshot with the controlled, larger blast from these bombs could have been pretty obnoxious. You either try to move away from or dodge the grab and get blasted, or shield and get grabbed.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Play your bombs right and I imagine Link won't need to move much. Though faster jumpsquat is always a plus.

Honestly, having his old hook/clawshot with the controlled, larger blast from these bombs could have been pretty obnoxious. You either try to move away from or dodge the grab and get blasted, or shield and get grabbed.
True. I still don't get why Link ever had his mobility nerfed in the first place. His running speed from 64 to Melee, and air speed from Melee to Brawl. He never really recovered from those nerfs completely, and he wasn't that fast anyway.

Eh, the jumpsquat buffs do excite me anyway at least.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
True. I still don't get why Link ever had his mobility nerfed in the first place. His running speed from 64 to Melee, and air speed from Melee to Brawl. He never really recovered from those nerfs completely, and he wasn't that fast anyway.

Eh, the jumpsquat buffs do excite me anyway at least.
Well, they had to do SOMETHING to make him more distinct from his nimbler counterparts...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree with this mostly. Losing the tether grab was overall a buff imo but losing Zair sucks. And Link like most characters lost his throw combos so he's not a better grappler than in SSB4 despite the normal grab.

I beat Xenoblade C X again. The story was super cheesy but it had good acting. Overall it's a fantastic open world game with a ton of content. IDK if I'll grind global nemesis battles for an Ares 90 skell or not. My character's set up with the either blossom dance/ core crusher build, which is stupidly OP, but I still need the ghost walker skill to make it complete.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Y'all be sleeping on his aerial attacks, increased sword range, and projectiles.
Obviously, his ground game isn't going to be the best compared to other characters, but improving his other zoning options, improving shield pressure, and stage control means he's not gonna be trampled over like in previous Smash games. The boomerang having its returning hitbox back allows Link to put his opponent in a situation more advantageous to him than the Gale boomerang's windbox, and the remote bomb opens up unique setups where for example, he can cover ledge options and gimp the opponent. I can also see his new Fair getting pretty good use for combo setups and hit confirms.

I don't think losing the hookshot hurts him that much considering he'll be better at punishing attacks and applying shield pressure, which he struggled to do in Smash 4. The landing lag on his aerial attacks has been improved significantly as well as his jumpsquat, so his frame data isn't completely crap.

I'm not saying Link is top-tier material or anything, just that he has more potential to shine than you think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I mean that the gap between them is just that big from what it seems. Just a little more speed couldn't hurt.
Staying as he was, even the smallest gap in speed compared to his counterparts would have made him the strictly inferior choice. Now, even if he's still lower than Young and Toon Link, he'll at least offer something fairly unique compared to them.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyone know good adventure/open world games for Switch or PS4? I already have botw, mario odyssey, horizon zd, skyrim, yooka laylee and Dark souls 1 & 3. Those are the kind of games I like.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Anyone know good adventure/open world games for Switch or PS4? I already have botw, mario odyssey, horizon zd, skyrim, yooka laylee and Dark souls 1 & 3. Those are the kind of games I like.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Monster Hunter World come to mind for me. If you're also into the Indie side, Iconoclasts is a really good Metroidvania-esque adventure game for the Switch (it's a bit linear, but there's VERY little hand-holding, which I like).

Otakuni is on fire, he never lost a match in Ultimate ;) (as far as i know)
He's a player from France (i don't know about players caliber there) so it's hard to tell how he would do against US top players. Among other things, his bombplay is particularly impressive, especially in the last 2 matches imo (thx to Iridium Iridium for the links).

I'm pretty optimistic for Link, on paper, the buffs are more significant than the nerfs imo plus the remote bombs will add so many new layers to his playstyle.

As Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken mentionned, his ground game won't the best (better zoning tools and sword range could make up for his slower attacks tho) but the reduced landing lag on his aerials and faster jumpsquats are the real blessing for Link since he had one of the slowest jumpsquat animation since forever. For him it's more than twice as fast as before (from 7 to 3 frames), compare to let's say, Kirby and Pikachu for example who only got one frame of reduction (from 4 to 3).

Combined with a higher jump and again the longer sword, i'm convinced his aerial game will surprise more than one.

About his new grab, i'm not sure yet, his neutral grab is one of the fastest in the game but his dash grab is one of the slowest... that's weird. I guess i'll need to try it or see more of it to make up my mind.

But yeah... like you said, it's still early, the meta is still embryonic and i think it could take a while for pro players to consider using Link competitively (just because he's been in the gutter of competitive play for so long).

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong but they only decreased the landing lag on U/Dair and it's still greater than Link's F/B/N/(and previously)Zairs. In SSB4 F/B/N/Zair all were positive on shield drop. So the landing lag decrease in SSBU really doesn't help Link that much.
The jumpsquat however was a huge buff. The only character benefiting more from it is Bowser (previously with a f8 js).

Correct me if I'm wrong but they only decreased the landing lag on U/Dair and it's still greater than Link's F/B/N/(and previously)Zairs. In SSB4 F/B/N/Zair all were positive on shield drop. So the landing lag decrease in SSBU really doesn't help Link that much.
About the landing lag, I took my info from PushBlock Gaming (video down below, i've set the mark to the landing lag part) but i agree the jumpsquat change is the biggest buff, but nevertheless a few frames less of landing lag can make the difference imo.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Monster Hunter World come to mind for me. If you're also into the Indie side, Iconoclasts is a really good Metroidvania-esque adventure game for the Switch (it's a bit linear, but there's VERY little hand-holding, which I like).
Thanks. Sorry I forgot to reply earlier. I have MH World but will check out the other 2.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Iconoclasts is a really good Metroidvania-esque adventure game for the Switch (it's a bit linear, but there's VERY little hand-holding, which I like).
I've been looking to try out the Metroidvania genre as I've never really played the type of game before and have had my eye on Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind forest but looking up Iconoclasts it too sees like a really interesting game. May I ask which you'd recommend more to a Metroidvania newcomer?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I've been looking to try out the Metroidvania genre as I've never really played the type of game before and have had my eye on Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind forest but looking up Iconoclasts it too sees like a really interesting game. May I ask which you'd recommend more to a Metroidvania newcomer?

If you want to just get your feet wet before diving in, play Iconoclasts. Compared to Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest, it doesn't have as many Metroidvania elements, but it's still got cool levels to explore and a great story behind it. It's the more linear game as well, so if you're comfortable with that, give it a try.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
If you want to just get your feet wet before diving in, play Iconoclasts. Compared to Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest, it doesn't have as many Metroidvania elements, but it's still got cool levels to explore and a great story behind it. It's the more linear game as well, so if you're comfortable with that, give it a try.
Alright. Would you recommend for switch or pc?

Or is that just personal preference

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Alright. Would you recommend for switch or pc?

Or is that just personal preference

I say it's personal preference. Iconoclasts runs flawlessly on my laptop without any modifications, and my laptop's running on a measely Intel Pentium core. The controls are pretty simple and customizable, so I don't think you'll have much issue with them. It's really just up to you.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I say it's personal preference. Iconoclasts runs flawlessly on my laptop without any modifications, and my laptop's running on a measely Intel Pentium core. The controls are pretty simple and customizable, so I don't think you'll have much issue with them. It's really just up to you.
Might just get it on PC since it's cheaper there then it is on the Switch

Rizen

Smash Legend
Happy Thanksgiving!

Here's a video with a lot of projectile footage:

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Arlo made a good video on why subspace was so awesome.
Why doesn't Mario have textured overalls anymore?.................................................................................^

Unless ShinnyMetal ShinnyMetal comes back I'm going to ask a mod to give someone else control of the thread so we can change the title. Anyone want to do it? If not I'll do it.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Arlo made a good video on why subspace was so awesome.
Why doesn't Mario have textured overalls anymore?.................................................................................^

Unless ShinnyMetal ShinnyMetal comes back I'm going to ask a mod to give someone else control of the thread so we can change the title. Anyone want to do it? If not I'll do it.
"If you try to please all, you please none."
.............................^mobile^..............^PC^

On a more important note, I would like to be the person to take charge of this thread and change the title since, well, it's a bit dated.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Hello, all! Here's Link's Palutena's Guidance, if you haven't seen.

Notice anything new with me? Just wanted people to see...

D

Deleted member

Link looks awesome and effective as ever. Going t be a long and short-range beast.

A user here created this wonderful thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/lan...ad-training-mode-tested.464174/#post-22768840

The info so far:
:ultlink:
Nair: 6 frames
Fair: 11 frames
Bair: 6 frames
Uair: 14 frames
Dair: 19 frames
Fullhop height: 3 stage units
Shorthop height: 1.5 stage units
Bomb stats: Pull takes 39 frames. Detonation takes 11 frames. Throw takes 23 frames. Bombs have 60~ HP.
Interesting Notes: Link can infinitely recover with bombs it seems. Throw them down and blow them up, that's all it takes, you can also zdrop-detonate. Bombs can take roughly 60 damage before exploding on their own. Bombs can't be blown up in someone else's hands. Link's dtilt can't meteor anymore (dunno if it could in 4, could in melee). Link can shorthop bair and double jump, but cannot shorthop nair and double jump.

Other bits of info found about the new remote bombs (you can check the full conversation between JohnKnight416 JohnKnight416 and Bakasama in the thread i've linked above):
-You can zdrop them yes. It didn't occur to me but they always blow you up and away at about a 45 degree angle no matter what. As long as you don't accidentally fast fall while detonating, you'll instantly get blasted up and away like you want.

-They actually send you mostly horizontally, also I tested if the game had some weird failsafe so you couldn't do it infinitely. I did it five times in a row in one airtime just fine.

-It appears Link's location in reference to the bomb matters a little bit, but even if you're underneath it, it will still send you up and away. The bomb's terminal velocity is a lot faster than Link's so you have to blow it up very quickly after the downthrow, and you even have to be careful during the zdrop method. For when this method is actually useful to aid your recovery, usually you'll get about 5 stage units of height off of it and it will blow you about 10 units away (so at about 70%~).

-You can start to gain height once you're at like 170% but usually what happens below that is in the time it takes to prep, drop and blow up the bombs you gain height and lose that height over and over, so its more powerful as a one-time thing or as a horizontal recovery.

-If you do this once and save your double jump, you'll probably recover from any blast zone on any legal stage.

-For reference, it takes 11 frames to detonate.
Infinite horizontal recovery huh? Definitetly a buff :p

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
A user here created this wonderful thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/lan...ad-training-mode-tested.464174/#post-22768840

The info so far:
:ultlink:
Nair: 6 frames
Fair: 11 frames
Bair: 6 frames
Uair: 14 frames
Dair: 19 frames
Fullhop height: 3 stage units
Shorthop height: 1.5 stage units
Bomb stats: Pull takes 39 frames. Detonation takes 11 frames. Throw takes 23 frames. Bombs have 60~ HP.
Interesting Notes: Link can infinitely recover with bombs it seems. Throw them down and blow them up, that's all it takes, you can also zdrop-detonate. Bombs can take roughly 60 damage before exploding on their own. Bombs can't be blown up in someone else's hands. Link's dtilt can't meteor anymore (dunno if it could in 4, could in melee). Link can shorthop bair and double jump, but cannot shorthop nair and double jump.

Other bits of info found about the new remote bombs (you can check the full conversation between JohnKnight416 JohnKnight416 and Bakasama in the thread i've linked above):

Infinite horizontal recovery huh? Definitetly a buff :p
Looks like you and I both had the same idea. I just happen to create a separate thread on recovering with Link's Remote Bombs.
https://smashboards.com/threads/link-can-indeed-recover-with-his-remote-bombs.464218/

Top Bottom