• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Anyone see any good movies? I found Justice League Dark online; it was pretty good, not great. The beginning is actually very dark then the rest is pretty standard superhero/magic stuff. Batman always has the superpower of 'plot armor'.

Link stuff: I think bomb recoveries might help far offstage situations but will be overall less useful than before. The new issues are you can't renew upB with them and have to input downB to detonate the bomb, which causes fast falling. The reason Snake's C4 recoveries are good is he can act out of upB, cheeky b******.
I wish I had enough interest to go to theaters, but eh. I'll think about it later.

I heavily agree on the issue with bomb recovery. Maybe we need to learn on light taps to prevent fast-falling when not it's not needed. A less vertical angle might make for problems recovering from deep distances, so we probably shouldn't try that.

If only we could jump after using Spin Attack, then perhaps we would have far more favorable ways of performing recoveries.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
At this point i don't want to speculate anymore. It's time for me to sit back and wait for the final built, I don't know why but a lot of top players are saying that they are interested in this Link so maybe there is a ray of hope 4us.

D

Deleted member

Link will hopefully be played a lot by people, hope so anyway.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Looking back at this video, I almost wonder if d-throw to Spin Attack will become a thing when the game comes out, as a combo, not a 50-50.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

Looking back at this video, I almost wonder if d-throw to Spin Attack will become a thing when the game comes out, as a combo, not a 50-50.
Still looks like a 50-50 to me, especially on middle-to-heavy characters.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Still looks like a 50-50 to me, especially on middle-to-heavy characters.
I can see that too. I don't usually see things like this in Smash 4, but this should be nice to use even more. It does also look like the Ganondorf could have done a quick action, right?

I also noticed the change in Link's height. I know that his idle pose does contribute to this, but I don't think Zelda has looked any taller than this compared to Link.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I looked up the South Park Fractured But Whole cutscenes and have to say: the writing was ****. I'm a big SP fan and they're usually clever, brutally honest social commentary. But the game wasn't funny; it was a mess of random offensive **** posing as a story. I haven't felt this insulted by a game since the world of Final Fantasy. I'm so disappointed in South Park.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It would be funny if Cranky Kong was an assist trophy but instead of assisting you he just had a talk bubble appear that said "git gud".

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
It would be funny if Cranky Kong was an assist trophy but instead of assisting you he just had a talk bubble appear that said "git gud".
I feel like this could be Therion from Octopath Traveler as well, except he'd add the word Scrub in

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want a new Zelda game. Annoucement for a new game is taking too long I feel.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I want a new Zelda game. Annoucement for a new game is taking too long I feel.
I get the feeling we might not hear about another Zelda title until after Ultimate drops. Maybe they'll drop a tease within the game itself, just like they did with the Wooly World stage and Mario costume from Smash 4.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
So after watching the Link vs. Gdorf Match, it realy doesn't look like they've improved Link any. Hell, it feels like he seems to be having a hell of a time getting in any KOs.

Sigh

It's looking like Link is still stuck in low to low-mid tier. I think Sakurai just has it out for the poor guy.

So after watching the Link vs. Gdorf Match, it realy doesn't look like they've improved Link any. Hell, it feels like he seems to be having a hell of a time getting in any KOs.

Sigh

It's looking like Link is still stuck in low to low-mid tier. I think Sakurai just has it out for the poor guy.
That's a worthy concern. I don't think we should jump to conclusion with one match. Otakuni at Japan Expo in Paris pulled off some cool stuff:

I mean... he beats Bayo... therefore Link should be at least top tier :p:troll:

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
That's a worthy concern. I don't think we should jump to conclusion with one match. Otakuni at Japan Expo in Paris pulled off some cool stuff:

I mean... he beats Bayo... therefore Link should be at least top tier :p:troll:
Didn't Bayo get nerfed? I honestly don't know.

Also, it still looks like Link has a hell of a time getting KOs. He can rack up damage, but he doesn't seem to have any reliable kill moves.

Last edited:
Didn't Bayo get nerfed? I honestly don't know.

Also, it still looks like Link has a hell of a time getting KOs. He can rack up damage, but he doesn't seem to have any reliable kill moves.
Changes for Bayo are mainly nerfs:
Aesthetics
  • As with all veterans returning from SSB4, Bayonetta's model features a more subdued color scheme.
  • Love is Blue and Scarborough Fair have louder sound effects to distinguish the two.
  • Bayonetta's taunts are sped up.
Attributes
  • Like all characters, Bayonetta's jumpsquat animation now takes three frames to complete.
Ground attacks
  • Up tilt connects better on grounded opponents, improving its combo potential.
Aerial Attacks
Throws/other attacks
  • Bayonetta's hand now grabs characters using a form of umbran magic, as seen via a slightly updated animation where she swings her hand around, which is sparkling with a noticeable umbran purple.
Special moves
  • Bullet Climax's charge can no longer be cancelled by shielding, rolling, or air dodging.
  • If the first hit of Heel Slide is blocked by a shield, she will be unable to use the second hit.
  • Bayonetta can no longer use another After Burner Kick if it collides with an opponent's shield. This prevents multiple mixups and ledge getup options.
    • However, it's unknown at this time whether she can Downwards After Burner Kick after the regular one hits a shield, due to the changes explained above.
  • Downwards After Burner Kick can no longer be autocancelled.
  • Witch Twist has increased startup.
  • Witch Time no longer grants intangibility when used, and its effect duration has been significantly lowered. It also has increased ending lag.
  • The screen turns dark whenever someone is affected by Witch Time.

And a lot of good buffs for our boi Link:
Aesthetics
  • Link's design is now based off of his appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which brings with it many related changes.
    • Link's default appearance is now the blue Champion's Tunic, with the more traditional green Tunic of the Wild as an alternate costume.
    • Link now takes on a new stance: his legs are further apart, with his sword and shield up at all times. His body also faces more towards the camera.
    • Link now holds the Master Sword with his right hand and shield with his left hand as opposed to previous Smash Bros. games, with many of his animations altered as a result. This references how he holds his sword and shield in Breath of the Wild and other recent Zelda titles such as Skyward Sword.
    • The Master Sword now bears its design from Breath of the Wild, and is much longer.
    • Link has a new on-screen appearance: he now glides using the Paraglider onto the stage.
    • Link's Boxing Ring alias has been changed to "Champion of Hyrule".
  • Link has a new taunt where he holds in the Master Sword in both hands, similar to one of Ike's taunts.
Attributes
  • Universal frame 3 jumpsquat significantly improves Link's historically lacking ground-to-air maneuverability, down from frame 7.
  • Link's jump height and dashing speed are noticeably higher and faster than they were previously, respectively.
  • The Master Sword is longer and larger than it was in previous installments, increasing Link's reach for his sword-based attacks.
Ground Attacks
  • The final hit of Link's neutral attack is altered: he now swipes vertically instead of thrusting the sword. This also has an effect on the angle, being more vertical than in previous games.
  • Dash attack's sweetspot deals more damage.
  • Dash attack covers less distance when Link is jumping. While this decreases the move's range, it allows Link to hit opponents more reliably.
  • Link has a new up tilt, an overhead arcing slash. It allows Link to better hit opponents that cross up Link from behind. This new up tilt appears to no longer be able to hit opponents from beneath Link, hindering its range. Additionally, the move's new animation makes Link more vulnerable to frontal attacks.
  • When at 0% damage, the first swing of Link's forward smash will shoot out a spinning sword beam. This is in reference to numerous Zelda titles, including Breath of the Wild, in which Link's sword shoots out sword beams when he is at full health. The sword beam will increase in damage, size and speed the longer the player charges Link's forward smash.
Aerial attacks
  • Forward aerial's first hit now has set knockback that reliably links into the second hit. However, the first hit is no longer a kill move as a result, and the damage has been lowered on both hits.
  • Back aerial has a slightly different animation.
Throws/other attacks
  • Link no longer uses the Clawshot for his grabs, instead having standard grabs where he reaches out with one hand. This significantly decreases their lag, but also their range.
  • Due to Link's Clawshot being retired, he no longer has a grab aerial or a tether recovery.
    • As a result, Link can now Z-drop his remote bombs without triggering the grab aerial's lengthy animation.
Special Moves
  • Link now uses the Traveler's Bow from Breath of the Wild instead of the Hero's Bow.
  • Arrows fired from Link's bow now travel much further when charged at minimum, but also travel slower than before.
  • The arrows fired from Link's Bow can be picked up and thrown after it sticks to the ground.
    • Using the Bow while holding an arrow causes Link to fire two arrows in one shot for double damage.
  • Arrows now seem to stick out of the opponent for a second before disappearing.
  • Link's Boomerang is no longer the Gale Boomerang. This means he can no longer bring opponents towards him to continue combos, or push them away with the lingering wind hitbox. However, just like in Melee and Smash 64, Link's Boomerang now has a returning hitbox to interrupt opponents near it.
  • Boomerang has increased range.
  • Spin Attack's visuals have been updated. Additionally, Link can now spin either inwards like in Smash 64, or outwards like in his other appearances.
  • Link can now reuse his double jump if hit during his aerial Spin Attack.
  • Link's new down special is the Remote Bomb Rune, specifically the spherical bomb from Breath of the Wild. Unlike Link's old Bomb, it does not explode upon contact with a fighter, attack or surface. Instead, it simply bounces off of them, while dealing minimal damage and knockback. Instead, they are manually detonated by inputting down special again, similar to Snake's C4. This allows for various item setups, but prevents Link from extending his recovery in the same way as previous games.
  • Remote Bomb Rune has drastically higher knockback and a more favorable horizontal angle than Bomb, allowing for potential combo setups from afar and increasing its edge-guarding potential. It also has a larger blast radius, and can be thrown further.
  • Link can only have one Remote Bomb Rune out on the battlefield at a time, instead of two standard bombs.
  • Link has a new Final Smash called the Ancient Bow and Arrow. It is functionally similar to Light Arrow from the previous games, although it only deals a single powerful blow to the first opponent in the arrow's path, alongside any bystanders.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
Changes for Bayo are mainly nerfs:
Aesthetics
  • As with all veterans returning from SSB4, Bayonetta's model features a more subdued color scheme.
  • Love is Blue and Scarborough Fair have louder sound effects to distinguish the two.
  • Bayonetta's taunts are sped up.
Attributes
  • Like all characters, Bayonetta's jumpsquat animation now takes three frames to complete.
Ground attacks
  • Up tilt connects better on grounded opponents, improving its combo potential.
Aerial Attacks
Throws/other attacks
  • Bayonetta's hand now grabs characters using a form of umbran magic, as seen via a slightly updated animation where she swings her hand around, which is sparkling with a noticeable umbran purple.
Special moves
  • Bullet Climax's charge can no longer be cancelled by shielding, rolling, or air dodging.
  • If the first hit of Heel Slide is blocked by a shield, she will be unable to use the second hit.
  • Bayonetta can no longer use another After Burner Kick if it collides with an opponent's shield. This prevents multiple mixups and ledge getup options.
    • However, it's unknown at this time whether she can Downwards After Burner Kick after the regular one hits a shield, due to the changes explained above.
  • Downwards After Burner Kick can no longer be autocancelled.
  • Witch Twist has increased startup.
  • Witch Time no longer grants intangibility when used, and its effect duration has been significantly lowered. It also has increased ending lag.
  • The screen turns dark whenever someone is affected by Witch Time.

And a lot of good buffs for our boi Link:
Aesthetics
  • Link's design is now based off of his appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which brings with it many related changes.
    • Link's default appearance is now the blue Champion's Tunic, with the more traditional green Tunic of the Wild as an alternate costume.
    • Link now takes on a new stance: his legs are further apart, with his sword and shield up at all times. His body also faces more towards the camera.
    • Link now holds the Master Sword with his right hand and shield with his left hand as opposed to previous Smash Bros. games, with many of his animations altered as a result. This references how he holds his sword and shield in Breath of the Wild and other recent Zelda titles such as Skyward Sword.
    • The Master Sword now bears its design from Breath of the Wild, and is much longer.
    • Link has a new on-screen appearance: he now glides using the Paraglider onto the stage.
    • Link's Boxing Ring alias has been changed to "Champion of Hyrule".
  • Link has a new taunt where he holds in the Master Sword in both hands, similar to one of Ike's taunts.
Attributes
  • Universal frame 3 jumpsquat significantly improves Link's historically lacking ground-to-air maneuverability, down from frame 7.
  • Link's jump height and dashing speed are noticeably higher and faster than they were previously, respectively.
  • The Master Sword is longer and larger than it was in previous installments, increasing Link's reach for his sword-based attacks.
Ground Attacks
  • The final hit of Link's neutral attack is altered: he now swipes vertically instead of thrusting the sword. This also has an effect on the angle, being more vertical than in previous games.
  • Dash attack's sweetspot deals more damage.
  • Dash attack covers less distance when Link is jumping. While this decreases the move's range, it allows Link to hit opponents more reliably.
  • Link has a new up tilt, an overhead arcing slash. It allows Link to better hit opponents that cross up Link from behind. This new up tilt appears to no longer be able to hit opponents from beneath Link, hindering its range. Additionally, the move's new animation makes Link more vulnerable to frontal attacks.
  • When at 0% damage, the first swing of Link's forward smash will shoot out a spinning sword beam. This is in reference to numerous Zelda titles, including Breath of the Wild, in which Link's sword shoots out sword beams when he is at full health. The sword beam will increase in damage, size and speed the longer the player charges Link's forward smash.
Aerial attacks
  • Forward aerial's first hit now has set knockback that reliably links into the second hit. However, the first hit is no longer a kill move as a result, and the damage has been lowered on both hits.
  • Back aerial has a slightly different animation.
Throws/other attacks
  • Link no longer uses the Clawshot for his grabs, instead having standard grabs where he reaches out with one hand. This significantly decreases their lag, but also their range.
  • Due to Link's Clawshot being retired, he no longer has a grab aerial or a tether recovery.
    • As a result, Link can now Z-drop his remote bombs without triggering the grab aerial's lengthy animation.
Special Moves
  • Link now uses the Traveler's Bow from Breath of the Wild instead of the Hero's Bow.
  • Arrows fired from Link's bow now travel much further when charged at minimum, but also travel slower than before.
  • The arrows fired from Link's Bow can be picked up and thrown after it sticks to the ground.
    • Using the Bow while holding an arrow causes Link to fire two arrows in one shot for double damage.
  • Arrows now seem to stick out of the opponent for a second before disappearing.
  • Link's Boomerang is no longer the Gale Boomerang. This means he can no longer bring opponents towards him to continue combos, or push them away with the lingering wind hitbox. However, just like in Melee and Smash 64, Link's Boomerang now has a returning hitbox to interrupt opponents near it.
  • Boomerang has increased range.
  • Spin Attack's visuals have been updated. Additionally, Link can now spin either inwards like in Smash 64, or outwards like in his other appearances.
  • Link can now reuse his double jump if hit during his aerial Spin Attack.
  • Link's new down special is the Remote Bomb Rune, specifically the spherical bomb from Breath of the Wild. Unlike Link's old Bomb, it does not explode upon contact with a fighter, attack or surface. Instead, it simply bounces off of them, while dealing minimal damage and knockback. Instead, they are manually detonated by inputting down special again, similar to Snake's C4. This allows for various item setups, but prevents Link from extending his recovery in the same way as previous games.
  • Remote Bomb Rune has drastically higher knockback and a more favorable horizontal angle than Bomb, allowing for potential combo setups from afar and increasing its edge-guarding potential. It also has a larger blast radius, and can be thrown further.
  • Link can only have one Remote Bomb Rune out on the battlefield at a time, instead of two standard bombs.
  • Link has a new Final Smash called the Ancient Bow and Arrow. It is functionally similar to Light Arrow from the previous games, although it only deals a single powerful blow to the first opponent in the arrow's path, alongside any bystanders.
Eh, Link's got some buffs, but it seems like mostly aesthetic changes. Sure, he's faster, but as I said with both videos, he seems to struggle to actually get any KOs, which for a heavier character is rather disappointing.

Eh, Link's got some buffs, but it seems like mostly aesthetic changes. Sure, he's faster, but as I said with both videos, he seems to struggle to actually get any KOs, which for a heavier character is rather disappointing.
I hope future videos will prove this wrong but i tend to agree that he seems to struggle a bit. Can't wait to test it myself, especially his brand new bombs :)

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Is no one going to talk about Link's reanimated victory pose?
The angle looks pretty cool, but what bothers me is how his elbow is sticking out towards the camera. He looks so uncomfortable. :(
Probably because he’s breaking the laws of physics.

If you think about it, everything Link does is probably uncomfortable, Rolling with a Sword and shield on his back, for one example.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Probably because he’s breaking the laws of physics.

If you think about it, everything Link does is probably uncomfortable, Rolling with a Sword and shield on his back, for one example.
It seems like he's doing the same pose from Smash 4 (aside from the sword swipe), but with his back facing us, so maybe that's why he looks weird there.

Anyway, . . .

Here is a tiny piece of Link footage we have here. Dissect it however you want.

Iridium

Smash Hero
From 64 to Melee:
  • Link's already poor dash speed is reduced even further (42 → 1.3), hindering his ability to keep up with opponents.
From Melee to Brawl:
  • Link's air speed is drastically slower (1 → 0.8084), going from 6th best out of 26 characters to 6th worst out of 39 characters. This significantly reduced Link's already poor mobility, as well as significantly hindered Link's recovery and made approaching more difficult.
Why would Sakurai do this to us?

Edit: Just hoping he doesn't do anything like this again.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
From 64 to Melee:
  • Link's already poor dash speed is reduced even further (42 → 1.3), hindering his ability to keep up with opponents.
From Melee to Brawl:
  • Link's air speed is drastically slower (1 → 0.8084), going from 6th best out of 26 characters to 6th worst out of 39 characters. This significantly reduced Link's already poor mobility, as well as significantly hindered Link's recovery and made approaching more difficult.
Why would Sakurai do this to us?
Why are we talking about old games in an Ultimate thread for no reason? Do you have Ultimate Link's movement specs?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Why are we talking about old games in an Ultimate thread for no reason? Do you have Ultimate Link's movement specs?
My point was that I hope Sakurai doesn't butcher Link's mobility again unexpectedly, but I see I didn't make it specific.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Even on platforms, does Link's up throw kill this early in Smash 4? He didn't have much rage either.

Edit: I know it kills around 160-180% on the ground, but this seems a bit early, or maybe there was bad DI.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

Even on platforms, does Link's up throw kill this early in Smash 4? He didn't have much rage either.

Edit: I know it kills around 160-180% on the ground, but this seems a bit early, or maybe there was bad DI.
It might have been tweaked but SV doesn't have the highest ceiling so it's hard to say. Hopefully it was buffed because heavy weights like DK, Bowser and Link all seem to have lost their throw>Uair kill confirms.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Matt Greoning's 'Disenchantment' cartoon on netflicks. It sucked. On a positive note the show 'Parks and Recreation' was very funny; I recommend it as an adult comedy.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been drawing and working on photoshop a lot, in addition to playing Dark Souls Remastered, but have to be careful to give my hands breaks. I can't work for several hours strait like when I was a kid.

In doing so I found an animated Dr.Strange movie online and it was quite good. They captured emotional moments well and had a deep (ish) story. For a magic animated superhero movie it was significantly better than Justice League Dark.

There isn't much left to be said about SSBU Link, not until we get a demo or something.

Q what's your favorite LoZ game(s) and why?

Iridium

Smash Hero
I've been drawing and working on photoshop a lot, in addition to playing Dark Souls Remastered, but have to be careful to give my hands breaks. I can't work for several hours strait like when I was a kid.

In doing so I found an animated Dr.Strange movie online and it was quite good. They captured emotional moments well and had a deep (ish) story. For a magic animated superhero movie it was significantly better than Justice League Dark.

There isn't much left to be said about SSBU Link, not until we get a demo or something.

I'll have to go with OoT, since I had the best memories playing that. The others are excellent too, but OoT is what really got me into the franchise in the first place.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

The original Legend of Zelda has a special place in my heart as it was what got me into the entire franchise and was the first video game I ever played.
Link's Awakening was the first Zelda game I ever owned and played ALL the time.
A Link to the Past was the masterpiece of Zelda games for the longest time.
Breath of the Wild had the most amazing world to me.

It's virtually impossible for me to pick a single one of these 4, because it depends on my mood.

Currently it's BotW, for obvious reasons... this game is a masterpiece imo. But if i had to make a short list:
2. Wind Waker
3. Link to the Past
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Twilight Princess
6. Majora's Mask

The original Legend of Zelda has a special place in my heart as it was what got me into the entire franchise and was the first video game I ever played.
I'm currently trying to beat it for the 1st time! (without any info from the internet).

This game is so unforgiving. This is so hard especially when you don't know where to go. The feeling of exploration is cool tho, i heard this is where they took inspiration to create BotW.

Edit: fun fact, the BotW team actually created a prototype in the form of a NES version (like the original LoZ)

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Continuing my delve into animated superhero movies, I watched Batman Gotham by Gaslight and it was great. It's a batman movie set in the 19th century. It really goes to show how a compelling, well thought out, grounded story* about stopping a serial killer is much more effective than the jumble of references and over the top world threatening plots in Justice League movies. And live DC movies for that matter. Substance over showmanship.

On that note Majora's Mask is easily my favorite Zelda. It was much more than a story about saving the land. MM took several characters you could interact with and alter their course of events over 3 days and ultimately explored the human condition when faced with seemingly certain death. Some characters like the carpenters were in denial. Some like Anju chose love over life. It's a masterpiece of world building and psychology. There are several zeldas I'd give a perfect 10/10 score to but MM stands out even among them. They didn't build a game; they built a world where (nearly) every character had a life and story.
PS I'm talking about the original and do think they messed up several things on the remake as described in this video.

*Except one of the red herrings was BS :/

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Fav Zelda games? Hm

1. Link to the Past
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Link Between Worlds
4. Majora's Mask
5. Twilight Princess
6. Four Swords Adventures
7. Skyward Sword

Bottom:
Four Swords
Phantom Hourglass

Unlike most I'm not a fan of BoTW. It's a good engine but an incomplete game imo. Looking forward to the next one when they actually flesh it out more.

Smash Ultimate bombs look like a mixed bag compared to 4. The fact that they hurt you now kind of sucks, but then again it's probably the only way to recover =/.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My top 5(In Order):

Majora's Mask
Four Swords Adventures
Ocarina of Time
Windwaker
Aaaand A Link to the Past
:)

Top Bottom