• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I do not think it's strange at all. Being a Wii U exclusive non-playable character(if that's the case) makes his trophy showing up there perfectly logical. If Sakurai cared about his severe importance, he'd be more than a quick show-up in 2 of the 3 Smash games. He's barely notable in the first game, a quick appearance in the intro and a trophy in the second, and a double boss with a trophy or two(and I think stickers) in the third. He's not given that much love. It probably won't change either way. If Sakurai doesn't see him as severely important(again), why would it change now? Really, people just gotta accept he doesn't care about his importance as much as everyone else. He has his own priorities and opinions.

Whether you like it or not, he may not have a 3DS trophy and there's a completely logical explanation for it, since his importance is clearly not that relevant to Sakurai as it is to us. What his role is. That's more important than just the fact he's a notable character. We knew exclusive trophies would exist anyway. There is nothing surprising about him being a Wii U exclusive trophy, especially if his role only exists on that version. This is a matter of logic here. Oh, and those "other" trophies just happen to be from a handheld character and someone who has almost no representation anyway. Stickers are gone now. Chibi-Robo has to go somewhere. His last game was on a handheld. Simple solution of where to put a Trophy on. He's not an AT either, so why give him a Wii U trophy unless he's a Wii U AT. There is more logic than "The character holds some importance." to take into account here.
Ridley had a trophy in Melee and was merely just in the intro though.

To be honest since I'm hoping linking the two games unlocks more characters I don't even think a trophy showing up means they won't be on the roster anyway. That Mewtwo trophy looked damn good for example. Now let's say Ridley had a redesign and is playable on Wii U. Would they add a Ridley trophy to the 3DS and spoil his overall redesign that way? If there is a Ridley trophy in the 3DS version and it's heavily redesigned Other M Ridley it still wouldn't deconfirm him I don't think. At least not til we saw the Wii U version with everything fully unlocked.

Now that I think about it are there any trophies in the 3DS version of things we know are exclusive only to the Wii U seen yet?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley had a trophy in Melee and was merely just in the intro though.

To be honest since I'm hoping linking the two games unlocks more characters I don't even think a trophy showing up means they won't be on the roster anyway. That Mewtwo trophy looked damn good for example. Now let's say Ridley had a redesign and is playable on Wii U. Would they add a Ridley trophy to the 3DS and spoil his overall redesign that way? If there is a Ridley trophy in the 3DS version and it's heavily redesigned Other M Ridley it still wouldn't deconfirm him I don't think. At least not til we saw the Wii U version with everything fully unlocked.

Now that I think about it are there any trophies in the 3DS version of things we know are exclusive only to the Wii U seen yet?
None on the last bit. But I could see two entirely unique trophies exclusive to each version. The graphics aren't identical between each, after all. So it's logical the models are updated/different.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I WANT DLC to happen. After all, SSB doesn't come out every year so what's the harm?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What leak is this?
I guy said the wii u version will be released on the 21st

And that 4 characters on the wii u version are not on the final roster are in there

And to get them in the 3ds version you transfer them over to the 3ds

And those characters are ridley, mewtwo, dixie kong and chorus men

(The ones shown as trophys does not deconfirm them for dlc/patch release characters)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I guy said the wii u version will be released on the 21st

And that 4 characters on the wii u version are not on the final roster are in there

And to get them in the 3ds version you transfer them over to the 3ds

And those characters are ridley, mewtwo, dixie kong and chorus men

(The ones shown as trophys does not deconfirm them for dlc/patch release characters)

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
DUDES

THAT LEAK HAS CREDIBILITY NOW
Add to the fact that there is the sneaky spirit enemies from Rhythm Heaven Fever in Smash Run. The only other enemies from series with no playable characters ( Not including Subspace ), is the Ice Climbers' Polar Bear and Bacura from Xevious. ( Who is there because of Pac Man's taunt)

Has anyone wondered that maybe some of those trophies of Mewtwo and such will become animate like in the Smash Bros intros?

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
November 21 can't come soon enough. Let's pray that leak happens.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I WANT DLC to happen. After all, SSB doesn't come out every year so what's the harm?
I personally hope they don't over do it, as weird as that sounds. Maybe a few new characters and some of the people who were cut but I wouldn't mind waiting until the next installment for a whole new batch of people to speculate on.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Here's my take on all of the alleged characters

On Ridley, Sakurai hasn't been clear about Ridley for 1 full year. Why drag this on if the guy is just a boss? I get it if he was meant to introduce the concept of Stage bosses, but that's what Yellow Devil was used for. So with the concept already known,and us knowing he's in the game in some fashion, why not just reveal him already? He knows more people want him playable, and not a boss, he isn't afraid of deconfirming requested characters, and Ridley is amongst the most. I don't think Sakurai wants to create needless backlash if he can avoid, especially considering Nintendo wants this game to sell, you want to try your best to stay in the customer's good faith, no matter the minority, which is why they went with the quick deconfirms on all notably requested characters. Ridley has only been teased to be a boss, but why tease what's already been a precedent for almost 30 years? That'd be like teasing Mario for another Mario game, or Mario as a playable character. As its stands, Ridley has never been playable in any form thus far, that's a much more hype worthy payoff, worth the 1 year tease.

To Chorus Men, these guys were brought up for so long. They aren't particularly predictable choices, or even highly requested, so why would these oddbball characters be brought up on the Gematsu leak, which love it or hate it, has been dead on with virtually every character it listed, with the exception of Chrom, who even then it was partly right about, since he does appear as a piece of a playable character.

As for Mewtwo, Sakurai said he was considering it, sure this could mean many things. One of the possibilities i thought of was Sakurai had a pokemon slot open, and Mewtwo was probably the consolation choice if he couldn't find an appropriate pokemon from gen 6. But then again, why go back to Lucario? Its obvious more people wanted Mewtwo over Lucario, maybe so gen 1 wasn't overly represented, but again, that hasn't stopped Melee or Brawl from being overrun with gen 1 pokemon and the odd other gen pokemon. Also, Sakurai says there are 39 characters in Brawl, you only reach that number if you separate the changing moveset characters like Samus, Zelda, and Pokemon trainer. In Brawl, there was technically 6 unique pokemon characters, each character had to be developed and worked on separately. So if there can be 6 pokemon in Brawl, why lower the number? Especially considering Mewtwo was planned for Brawl anyway He was never on Sakurai's chopping board. You'd think the high demand for the character, coupled with the fact Sakurai had intended on having Mewtwo in the game, it only make sense he be a priority for pokemon reps.

Dixie Kong, she's a character that doesn't necessarily have a lot of evidence pointing to her being in the game, with the exception of her appearing on the leak with the aforementioned characters. Aside from that, she is a popular character, who would make sense to be a DK newcomer. Honestly, it makes sense for DK to have a newcomer after the success of DK Country Returns, and Tropical Freeze. We don't have all stages for the WiiU confirmed, so its posible DK gets both her and a stage. This isn't like Starfox which was a dead franchise between Brawl and Sm4sh, this series saw even more success than KI, and that has 3 reps. Thus it only makes sense to pay tribute on that success with a new character. Lastly, she was considered for Brawl but couldn't make it, due to time contraints, and if history has taught us anything, Sakurai likes to incorporate ideas he failed to incorporate on the current game to the next one. "cough" Sonic, Snake, Dedede "cough".

Last character I want to bring up is Impa, who I think is among those alleged characters for several reasons. 1, Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, and it has had a miserable period for newcomers. The only true newcomer since Melee was Zelda and Sheik. Ganondorf is just a Captain Falcon clone and isn't accurate to his series portrayal. Toon Link is just a redesign of Young Link, who was just a clone of Link to begin with, similarly to how Link was redone in his Twilight Princess look from the OoT design he had before. So really, the Zelda franchise has been cheated on a true, wholesome newcomer for too long, and Impa can help fill that void, especially considering the only real change to the Zelda reps was a splitting of Zelda and Sheik only really. Also, her inclusion would help bring the trophy quiz full circle, because so far, it hasn't been wrong on teasing newcomers, and if Ridley is among those other characters, then it leads to her being the next character for Zelda. She's also the only other character to appear in more than one game, so she has that going for her, especially considering Skyward Sword gave her a look that would be approriate as a Smash character.

These are the characters I think are indeed coming with the WiiU, so with these 5, and the 48 other characters is what I think the planned roster was. Here's a list of characters I'd like to see become DLC down the road.

Ice Climbers(Them and the following 2 are fan favorite vets, which would make people happy to see them back)

Lucas

Wolf

Snake(Kojima can always ask Sakurai if he can make Snake a DLC character)

Ghirahim (He is an assist trophy, which means he wasn't a planned character, but they can always work on a playable model after release)

Magnus(Same principal as Ghirahim)

Chrom(He's still the main character of Awakening, and my second favorite Fire Emblem protagonist, they can always work around making someone else appear in Robin's final smash when he's playable)

Daisy( Not as her own character, but an alt for Peach, much like Alph for Olimar, seriously, missed opportunity, Sakurai)

Chrono( Wish fulfillment on my part, but I'd absolutely love to see Chrono from Chrono Trigger, as that would serve as both a Square rep, and strike a balance towards the group thst constantly request Goku)

Last edited:

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
Chrom bothers me for the fact that Fire Emblem characters seem the most likely cuts. I do not imagine Lucina will be back for Smash 5. There is a alot of Fire Emblem characters that could be put in Smash Bros, and I really don't want to see Fire Emblem manage to surpass the amount of Pokemon we have. To me, Fire Emblem characters are only interesting for their story. However , their stories can not be told in Smash Bros, which takes away alot from them. Sword fighters start looking generic after awhile.

The only new characters I would expect to show up on the Wii U version are the Ice Climbers. Their apparent cut is probably due to technical issues more than anything else; I doubt they'd get cut on the Wii U just because the 3DS had trouble with them.

If there is indeed some trick about getting more characters by linking systems, I (spitefully) hope that Wii U players also can't play as them until linking.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
You know if Ice climbers are in, Sakurai needs to make some really cool and unique changes to their grabs. Since they don't want any chain grab potential. I would love to see what they would come up with if the DLC is legit.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
You know if Ice climbers are in, Sakurai needs to make some really cool and unique changes to their grabs. Since they don't want any chain grab potential. I would love to see what they would come up with if the DLC is legit.
Simple 2 options.

1 force nana to up throw on grabbing

2 nana can't grab.

Problem solved.

Also there is already a mechanic in this game that prevents chain grabbing any ways by making it impossible for a grab to combo into a grab.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I personally hope they don't over do it, as weird as that sounds. Maybe a few new characters and some of the people who were cut but I wouldn't mind waiting until the next installment for a whole new batch of people to speculate on.
I think DLC should be released periodicly for the next 2 years since Smash is only released every new system. However, they should not forced things into the game. I would much rather a small amount of well-done DLC packs than many bad ones.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think DLC should be released periodicly for the next 2 years since Smash is only released every new system. However, they should not forced things into the game. I would much rather a small amount of well-done DLC packs than many bad ones.
I think the cut veterans should be dealt with first via dlc then add the newcomers everyone wants. (But dlc ain't gonna happen do what's the point)

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Very true, BUT, as far as stages w/ FD variants n costumes.... MORE

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
The only new characters I would expect to show up on the Wii U version are the Ice Climbers. Their apparent cut is probably due to technical issues more than anything else; I doubt they'd get cut on the Wii U just because the 3DS had trouble with them.

If there is indeed some trick about getting more characters by linking systems, I (spitefully) hope that Wii U players also can't play as them until linking.
Its a miracle to me how your post was liked. This make me wish that Sakurai never bothered to release a handheld version of Smash. As soon as a rumor hit the Wii U version of semi exclusive content that make sense, you 3DS users still whine. Even though you get to enjoy Smash way before us.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Its a miracle to me how your post was liked. This make me wish that Sakurai never bothered to release a handheld version of Smash. As soon as a rumor hit the Wii U version of semi exclusive content that make sense, you 3DS users still whine. Even though you get to enjoy Smash way before us.
The 3ds development was a wasted endeavor that resulted in many veteran cuts and lack of newcomers, I'd say. Shoulda only been for Wii u.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Why shouldn't the Wii U version have some exclusive characters? Heck they can still be added to the 3DS version later somehow. Point being though is they need something more than modes and fancy graphics to grab the interest of more people to the Wii U version. What better way to do that than characters? Bring back IC for the Wii U version only and maybe New 3DSs, and then have the Wii U come with Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie/K. Rool, Impa, Chorus Men. Maybe Wii U has these characters by default and 3DS has to wait for it become DLC or get them by linking the two? 3DS players got to play the game months before Wii U players, so why shouldn't Wii U players get a bonus too? Especially for it being on a more expensive console and a more expensive game.

Also I want a Ridley and Mewtwo amiibo, dagummit.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I agree. Why shouldn't the Wii U version have some exclusive characters? Heck they can still be added to the 3DS version later somehow. Point being though is they need something more than modes and fancy graphics to grab the interest of more people to the Wii U version. What better way to do that than characters? Bring back IC for the Wii U version only and maybe New 3DSs, and then have the Wii U come with Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie/K. Rool, Impa, Chorus Men. Maybe Wii U has these characters by default and 3DS has to wait for it become DLC or get them by linking the two? 3DS players got to play the game months before Wii U players, so why shouldn't Wii U players get a bonus too? Especially for it being on a more expensive console and a more expensive game.

Also I want a Ridley and Mewtwo amiibo, dagummit.
I would buy a Wolf, Mewtwo and Ridley amibo instantly.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
If there is DLC then I would honestly hope it's not the more hyped characters like ridley because that would take a lot away from the next smash bros. That's saying the leak is fake and none of them are on the roster but if there is DLC then that's when you put clones in the game and a veteran dlc

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I would buy a Wolf, Mewtwo and Ridley amibo instantly.
Depending on if the Wii U version comes with more characters and sways me into buying it, I may only stick with Samus/Luigi/King Dedede amiibos.

If the Wii U version has some characters that aren't in the initial 3DS version or somehow wins me over, I'm not sure how many of the lil figures I'll pick up. If Ridley or Mewtwo make it in though I think I may even buy two of each. One to open and one to keep in the box. This is a bad slippery slope, potentially.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
4. The "final" 3ds roster can fit 4 more character slots onto it and completely fill up the screen without altering the size of any of the character icons.
Five characters, actually. In the first four rows, there are nine slots in each row. In the fifth row, there are eight slots, and in the last row there are five slots (including the Random slot).

((9 - 8) + (9 - 5)) == (1 + 4) == 5.

Black-chestnut

Smash Rookie
The 3ds development was a wasted endeavor that resulted in many veteran cuts and lack of newcomers, I'd say. Shoulda only been for Wii u.
they did the 3ds so they would make more money i mean it has already sold a million copies in japan alone but i get were your coming from

lightdasher

Smash Lord
So they are completed in WiiU version? >_>
Yes, but due to Sakurai being stupid with his "must have same characters" no Icies, infact this makes me wonder how many characters we could've had if he decided to stick with just the Wii U version, or wasn't held back by "same characters on each"

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Yes, but due to Sakurai being stupid with his "must have same characters" no Icies, infact this makes me wonder how many characters we could've had if he decided to stick with just the Wii U version, or wasn't held back by "same characters on each"
Considering the 3DS couldn't handle something the Gamecube could handle, there is a possibility complex newcomers, new movesets, or any other stuff were scrapped because of it.

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much.
I hope this is the only time we're offered 'Red and Blue' versions of a Smash Bros game.
It should have always been just one big, complete game.

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
God!!
"Additionally, the team didn’t give the climbers a high priority since they’re unlikely to have another game installment anytime soon. Sakurai also discussed launching both 3DS/Wii U versions at the same time"
Thanks sakurai for put salt in the injury
He is saying this while he add Duck Hunter, keep R.O.B. and Mr game and watch

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
From a marketing point of view... it makes sense.

Why wouldn't Nintendo pump life into Smash a few months down the road... it's only the most popular, most played game in their arsenal. Let's not cash in on this once in a Wii U life's time opportunity.

DLC characters? More Amiibos? Another cash cow, that they'll pass up? ... Yeah, not likely.
You do know you are talking about Nintendo right?

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
God!!
"Additionally, the team didn’t give the climbers a high priority since they’re unlikely to have another game installment anytime soon. Sakurai also discussed launching both 3DS/Wii U versions at the same time"
Thanks sakurai for put salt in the injury
He is saying this while he add Duck Hunter, keep R.O.B. and Mr game and watch
Don't forget Kid Icarus and Earthbound, which were both said to not be getting a sequel at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom