• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Which is why it's nice Sakurai guaranteed no exclusives. Period. :grin:
Which I think is silly if that is the case. IC can't work on 3DS from everyones assumptions. There's no reason to keep them out of the Wii U version period. Plus they need to hype up the Wii U version so it sells. Transferring some characters from Wii U to 3DS would certainly do that and generate hype for a version that's to come out later.

Besides, so what if both versions don't have the same roster? You pay 30 for "Smash Lite" get an overall taste of the characters, then get enticed to buy the real full version on Wii U. I dislike the idea of the 3DS holding back potential veterans like Ice Climbers, and personally won't be buying the Wii U version unless there's more characters to entice me to do so. A new mode or two won't do it for me. Sure, just my opinion, but they want people to want to buy Wii Us for Smash and if everyone could just play the full roster on 3DS already would people really go out and buy Wii Us for it?

If Ridley and/or Mewtwo shows up playable on the Wii U, I'll buy that version too. Otherwise I have no reason to buy that one at all. So I hope this rumor turns out true.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which I think is silly if that is the case. IC can't work on 3DS from everyones assumptions. There's no reason to keep them out of the Wii U version period. Plus they need to hype up the Wii U version so it sells. Transferring some characters from Wii U to 3DS would certainly do that and generate hype for a version that's to come out later.

Besides, so what if both versions don't have the same roster? You pay 30 for "Smash Lite" get an overall taste of the characters, then get enticed to buy the real full version on Wii U. I dislike the idea of the 3DS holding back potential veterans like Ice Climbers, and personally won't be buying the Wii U version unless there's more characters to entice me to do so. A new mode or two won't do it for me. Sure, just my opinion, but they want people to want to buy Wii Us for Smash and if everyone could just play the full roster on 3DS already would people really go out and buy Wii Us for it?

If Ridley and/or Mewtwo shows up playable on the Wii U, I'll buy that version too. Otherwise I have no reason to buy that one at all. So I hope this rumor turns out true.
Yeah, there's a blatant reason. You're screwing an entire set of players out of characters.

Introducing more characters that you can get later for the 3DS version will give the Wii U version hype for sure.

It doesn't matter if you dislike it. You're just going to have to live with it like everyone else. Ice Climbers' technical issues were not fixed. We don't know what they are either. Maybe they will someday. But till then, people will just have to live with it. Cuts happen. He told us it was probably going to happen. He even told us that the Ice Climbers may not be back due to issues but he'd work on it. He did. it didn't work out how he wanted it to. It happens. We dealt with the cuts from Melee, and the NPC cuts from 64(although no playable cuts). I dislike the cuts too. Many do.(if not most) But I don't see any legitimate reason to screw over players of one version because some people just can't get over a single cut. You're not getting Wii U exclusive characters. If they appear, they're going to the 3DS version too. That's not even up for interpretation. That's a cold hard fact. Wait for a true Smash 5 for IC's or hope he fixes the issue. Those are the only options available.

And the Wii U has unique modes, courses, assist trophies, regular trophies, and more course music. There's plenty of incentive from that alone. Sure, I think "characters" are the biggest seller, of course. But the others do play a role too. We aren't buying character art either.

And just remember that the 3DS version is not "Smash Lite"(plus, it's 40 dollars, not 30). It's a 100% full game. That will get a bit more later due to patches and other dlc(and it's gotten dlc and getting a regular patch soon). It's definitely "full".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

or hope he fixes the issue
This isn't an option. It is assumed CPU problems are what caused the Ice Climbers to be cut. You can't fix CPU problems with a patch. The only viable option for Ice Climber players is to wait for the next game if they reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to play as them that badly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This isn't an option. It is assumed CPU problems are what caused the Ice Climbers to be cut. You can't fix CPU problems with a patch. The only viable option for Ice Climber players is to wait for the next game if they reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to play as them that badly.
We don't make assumptions. The A.I. is unlikely to be it. He made two separate A.I.'s work with the Pikmin. They aren't controlled like Luma.

It's either him being unable to remove de-synching or the large models causing severe online lag. A.I. is very unlikely to be the issue here. Not with programming knowledge. The 3DS can easily handle that type of stuff. We've seen it already.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there's a blatant reason. You're screwing an entire set of players out of characters.

Introducing more characters that you can get later for the 3DS version will give the Wii U version hype for sure.

It doesn't matter if you dislike it. You're just going to have to live with it like everyone else. Ice Climbers' technical issues were not fixed. We don't know what they are either. Maybe they will someday. But till then, people will just have to live with it. Cuts happen. He told us it was probably going to happen. He even told us that the Ice Climbers may not be back due to issues but he'd work on it. He did. it didn't work out how he wanted it to. It happens. We dealt with the cuts from Melee, and the NPC cuts from 64(although no playable cuts). I dislike the cuts too. Many do.(if not most) But I don't see any legitimate reason to screw over players of one version because some people just can't get over a single cut. You're not getting Wii U exclusive characters. If they appear, they're going to the 3DS version too. That's not even up for interpretation. That's a cold hard fact. Wait for a true Smash 5 for IC's or hope he fixes the issue. Those are the only options available.

And the Wii U has unique modes, courses, assist trophies, regular trophies, and more course music. There's plenty of incentive from that alone. Sure, I think "characters" are the biggest seller, of course. But the others do play a role too. We aren't buying character art either.

And just remember that the 3DS version is not "Smash Lite"(plus, it's 40 dollars, not 30). It's a 100% full game. That will get a bit more later due to patches and other dlc(and it's gotten dlc and getting a regular patch soon). It's definitely "full".

It's not screwing anyone. Those who buy the cheaper version of the game for a cheaper console are still getting a full game. Why do you think they're not both called "Smash 4"? Because one is for 3DS, the other is for Wii U. If you want the full experience after playing the Smash Lite version, then you buy the Wii U version.

Otherwise there's no point in even making a Wii U version. Might as well have just made it a purely 3DS game if both are going to have the same roster, or just make it a Wii U exclusive to boost sales. As is if that roster we saw is the final one and linking them doesn't unlock some for the 3DS or if the Wii U version doesn't just straight up have more characters, there's no reason for people who already have a 3DS with no intention of buying a Wii U for Smash to go buy one. You buy the cheaper version of Smash which isn't even named exactly the same, you're not gonna get the whole experience. It's that simple. So keeping characters out for the Wii U would make sense and is the only way I personally will be buying the Wii U version.

Edit: As for the Ice Climbers issue I see no reason they shouldn't have become Ice Climber with there being 4 Nana alts and 4 Popo alts and you control just one at a time. Tweak their playstyle so it's as close to their original as possible and there you go. Unless they show up in the Wii U version anyway which I see no reason shouldn't happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We don't make assumptions. The A.I. is unlikely to be it. He made two separate A.I.'s work with the Pikmin. They aren't controlled like Luma.

It's either him being unable to remove de-synching or the large models causing severe online lag. A.I. is very unlikely to be the issue here. Not with programming knowledge. The 3DS can easily handle that type of stuff. We've seen it already.
Pikmin were reduced in number to 3 and are rendered at 30 FPS. Luma is an extremely simple model. I'm still betting on the 3DS being unable to process 8 larger character models at the same time.

It's not screwing anyone. Those who buy the cheaper version of the game for a cheaper console are still getting a full game. Why do you think they're not both called "Smash 4"? Because one is for 3DS, the other is for Wii U. If you want the full experience after playing the Smash Lite version, then you buy the Wii U version.
Uh...no. The people who paid for the 3DS version expect a full game, just like the people who paid for the Wii U version. There is no "Smash 4 lite."

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pikmin were reduced in number to 3 and are rendered at 30 FPS. Luma is an extremely simple model. I'm still betting on the 3DS being unable to process 8 larger character models at the same time.
That's what I said the issue probably is, actually. The A.I. thing? Doubtful. Pikmin couldn't work since they can act on their own overall. Luma was a horrible example when it came to A.I. because you are fully controlling it in this case.

Uh...no. The people who paid for the 3DS version expect a full game, just like the people who paid for the Wii U version. There is no "Smash 4 lite."
I do like hearing the voice of reason here. :)

D

Deleted member

That's what I said the issue probably is, actually. The A.I. thing? Doubtful. Pikmin couldn't work since they can act on their own overall. Luma was a horrible example when it came to A.I. because you are fully controlling it in this case.
OH! I see why you're confused now! I meant CPU problems as in the 3DS's central processing unit, not Nana's AI. Whoops! Should've specified.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
This theory is very plausible in my eyes, nintendo need to hype up the wii u version or risk shooting themselves in the foot due to offering the exact same roster that's been shown in the 3ds version. The Wii U is the console in need of sales right now, so if they don't have some new meat to reveal, then they've ruined a great opportunity to raise the hype bar with new characters. Which would be able to be sent to the 3ds via an update regardless so I see no problem with it, it's not like the cartridge hasn't got enough left over space for it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
OH! I see why you're confused now! I meant CPU problems as in the 3DS's central processing unit, not Nana's AI. Whoops! Should've specified.
No big deal. Thanks for specifying. :)

I will enjoy having the same rosters overall. I really do hope for dlc or new characters coming out when the Wii U version does(regardless of how it does).

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Why is everyone so intent on assuming the 3DS should be the same level as the Wii U version? There's no crossplatform play. I get that any characters shown in the Wii U should be in the 3DS as well, but the 3DS has limited technical capabilities compared to the Wii U. So the question is, should the Wii U version be gimped just so it can stay on the same level as the 3DS?

I don't think Smash 3DS is Smash Lite, but it is Smash 3DS, with all the pros and cons and limitations of a 3DS system.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Back on topic, the Wii U is the system that has been a failure, not the 3DS. This isn't about Smash Bros being successful, its about Smash Bros saving the Wii U. Sure Mario Kart 8 helped, but this game is really the last chance the Wii U has especially as its being released right before the holidays.

I'm not saying we will be getting new characters alongside the Wii U version, but there is a 100% chance that something big will be released with the Wii U version.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Back on topic, the Wii U is the system that has been a failure, not the 3DS. This isn't about Smash Bros being successful, its about Smash Bros saving the Wii U. Sure Mario Kart 8 helped, but this game is really the last chance the Wii U has especially as its being released right before the holidays.

I'm not saying we will be getting new characters alongside the Wii U version, but there is a 100% chance that something big will be released with the Wii U version.
Ridley's in the Wii U version. Nuff said. :troll: But seriously, I agree.

Why is everyone so intent on assuming the 3DS should be the same level as the Wii U version? There's no crossplatform play. I get that any characters shown in the Wii U should be in the 3DS as well, but the 3DS has limited technical capabilities compared to the Wii U. So the question is, should the Wii U version be gimped just so it can stay on the same level as the 3DS?

I don't think Smash 3DS is Smash Lite, but it is Smash 3DS, with all the pros and cons and limitations of a 3DS system.
Yep. It's part of what it is. Limitations happen. The pros and cons are what they are. I love the ability to travel anywhere with Smash. That's a strong appeal to some. You couldn't do that beyond handheld emulation/etc. Now you can play Smash on the go. It helps.

The Wii U version is overall bigger and has its upsides too. I think both will be great regardless. You don't need exclusive characters for that, after all.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
...eh. PotD predictions never turn out well....
But we'll see, as always.
I think all he really means is, that mode is something sakurai would likely show off before release, so that would be his only moment of authenticity.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
From a marketing point of view... it makes sense.

Why wouldn't Nintendo pump life into Smash a few months down the road... it's only the most popular, most played game in their arsenal. Let's not cash in on this once in a Wii U life's time opportunity.

DLC characters? More Amiibos? Another cash cow, that they'll pass up? ... Yeah, not likely.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
From a marketing point of view... it makes sense.

Why wouldn't Nintendo pump life into Smash a few months down the road... it's only the most popular, most played game in their arsenal. Let's not cash in on this once in a Wii U life's time opportunity.

DLC characters? More Amiibos? Another cash cow, that they'll pass up? ... Yeah, not likely.
But I am NOT talking Amiibo or DLC.

Nintendo's goal is not to to make as much money off of Smash Bros as possible.

Their goal is to use Smash Bros to sell as many Wii Us as possible this holiday season.

Which means they will add things into the main game in order to increase Wii U sales. DLC would only attract consumers who already have the game, not people looking to buy a new video game console this Christmas.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But I am NOT talking Amiibo or DLC.

Nintendo's goal is not to to make as much money off of Smash Bros as possible.

Their goal is to use Smash Bros to sell as many Wii Us as possible this holiday season.

Which means they will add things into the main game in order to increase Wii U sales. DLC would only attract consumers who already have the game, not people looking to buy a new video game console this Christmas.
But we know it won't be exclusives. Not many like the idea of buying both to unlock all characters by connecting them. The Wii U first showing off new ones and then it becomes available later via DLC or can be connected right away might work, though.

I know characters sell Smash quite well, but it's not that easy this time around. There's stipulations.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm asking honestly.
To be honest I feel both of them are a waste of two slots. Dark Pit while important in Kid Icarus, was a clone by nature and had the same abilities as Pit, and seeing as how Bowser Jr. as detailed costumes that are different characters with similar abilities, I don't see why Dark Pit couldn't be a costume. This also goes for Dr.Mario as well, he's not even a different being he's just Mario, why have the same Mario on the roster twice? It would be different if it were say Paper Mario a being with different abilities, but its not, its just Mario with some slight tweaks.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario is probably the least clone of the three with his old Down B. But given how the Koopalings and Alph are done it's really questionable how the 3 clones are done.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To honest I feel both if them are a waster of two slots. Dark Pit while important in Kid Icarus, was a clone by nature and had the same abilities as Pit, and seeing as how Bowser Jr. as Detail costumes that are different characters I don't see why Dark Pit couldn't be a costume. This also goes for Dr.Mario as well, he's not even a different being he's just Mario, why have the same Mario on the roster twice? It would be different if it were say Paper Mario a being with different abilities, but its not, its just Mario with some slight tweaks.
Mario and Dr. Mario have entirely different Down B's. Dr. Mario can't use the FLUDD and he decently represents Mario's old Melee self. They don't actually share the same abilities even. They're actually very different characters. The only thing they mostly had were the basic ability to punch and kick, and their Up and Side B's. But they have even different elemental smashes. Dr. Mario is associated with Electricity, not Fire.

A lot are happy to have a Melee-style Mario after Mario was poorly received in Brawl due to how horrid he was. People may hate the clone idea in itself, but still also like Dr. Mario for what he brings, the classic moveset. It's a pro and con really.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
But we know it won't be exclusives. Not many like the idea of buying both to unlock all characters by connecting them. The Wii U first showing off new ones and then it becomes available later via DLC or can be connected right away might work, though.

I know characters sell Smash quite well, but it's not that easy this time around. There's stipulations.
We don't know that. Sakurai has gone back on his word before, and a decision like this would probably be run by Nintendo. Sakurai isn't marketing the game, he's just making it. For all we know he may have been forced to hold back on the characters on the 3ds so that the WiiU version will attract more people by having those characters. Sakurai doesn't want to do this, that much we know, but he doesn't have the final say.

To be honest I feel both of them are a waste of two slots. Dark Pit while important in Kid Icarus, was a clone by nature and had the same abilities as Pit, and seeing as how Bowser Jr. as detailed costumes that are different characters with similar abilities, I don't see why Dark Pit couldn't be a costume. This also goes for Dr.Mario as well, he's not even a different being he's just Mario, why have the same Mario on the roster twice? It would be different if it were say Paper Mario a being with different abilities, but its not, its just Mario with some slight tweaks.
PSA TO THE UNINFORMED. SLOTS DO NOT EXIST. THERE IS NO SET LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF CHARACTERS IN THIS GAME. INCLUSION OF CLONES DOES NOT EQUATE TO EXCLUSION OF NON CLONES. CLONES REQUIRE MUCH LESS DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES THAN NORMAL CHARACTERS. THAT IS ALL.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace

I never said "Wii U exclusive characters"

If they add more characters I think they would put up a free update for the 3DS.

However, I said they will be adding something BIG in the Wii U version. I never said it had to be characters. I just said they WILL add something to increase sales this holiday season.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Mario and Dr. Mario have entirely different Down B's. Dr. Mario can't use the FLUDD and he decently represents Mario's old Melee self. They don't actually share the same abilities even. They're actually very different characters. The only thing they mostly had were the basic ability to punch and kick, and their Up and Side B's. But they have even different elemental smashes. Dr. Mario is associated with Electricity, not Fire.

A lot are happy to have a Melee-style Mario after Mario was poorly received in Brawl due to how horrid he was. People may hate the clone idea in itself, but still also like Dr. Mario for what he brings, the classic moveset. It's a pro and con really.
I understand all that and I'm aware of the Melee love but I have to ask, why not just improve Mario then? Especially seeing as how the Mario Tornado, and Mario spinning in general has been a thing that has appeared constantly in Mario games after Brawls release .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I understand all that and I'm aware of the Melee love but I have to ask, why not just improve Mario then? Especially seeing as how the Mario Tornado, and Mario spinning in general has been a thing that has appeared constantly in Mario games after Brawls release .
Because they did that in Brawl. And it sucked. Brawl was the combination of both. Separating them again made Mario non-sucky so far. So this was ironically the best move.

We don't know that. Sakurai has gone back on his word before, and a decision like this would probably be run by Nintendo. Sakurai isn't marketing the game, he's just making it. For all we know he may have been forced to hold back on the characters on the 3ds so that the WiiU version will attract more people by having those characters. Sakurai doesn't want to do this, that much we know, but he doesn't have the final say.
Not my point. We do know the characters will be the same in the end. And we do know that. Entirely. No exclusive characters. We could have no extra characters at all either.

PSA TO THE UNINFORMED. SLOTS DO NOT EXIST. THERE IS NO SET LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF CHARACTERS IN THIS GAME. INCLUSION OF CLONES DOES NOT EQUATE TO EXCLUSION OF NON CLONES. CLONES REQUIRE MUCH LESS DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES THAN NORMAL CHARACTERS. THAT IS ALL.
They somewhat do exist. A Moveset = Slot unless you can select multiple characters in a single slot. But the CSS is based around all the character choices overall anyway. The CSS does not determine the slots. The slots determine the CSS.

It's not a clear thing with how he views slots. We just know he'll add however many he wants that works. And to be frank, Dark Pit is non-different he isn't exactly a great slot. Doesn't mean he'd be replacing by someone else, but being a "waste of a slot" is a valid complaint. You seem to misunderstood what he said anyway. He did not say "wasted slot somebody else could have". That's a different complaint. He's saying the slot was a waste because he finds the characters completely useless. I don't exactly agree, but it's not a "slot taking way from another" issue anyway. That's never a valid point unless they meant a more deserving clone.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I heard that you can unlock characters by linking the 2 versions of the game. They're already accounted for in the 3ds version but they can't be unlocked yet because the Wii U version isn't out yet. This would encourage people to buy both versions.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I heard that you can unlock characters by linking the 2 versions of the game. They're already accounted for in the 3ds version but they can't be unlocked yet because the Wii U version isn't out yet. This would encourage people to buy both versions.
True. But that would mean if somebody can't, they lose characters. This is why people are sure DLC will also be available. Maybe at a lower price than the combination of buying the Wii U and the game? I mean, unless it's free, of course.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
True. But that would mean if somebody can't, they lose characters. This is why people are sure DLC will also be available. Maybe at a lower price than the combination of buying the Wii U and the game? I mean, unless it's free, of course.
I take rumors with a grain of salt, but this web site was right about the original leaks and they also predicted that the koopalings would be alts for Bowser Jr. Apparently the characters are Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Ridley, and Chorus Kid.

Ridley and Chorus Kid are questionable but the leak said they they've defiantly seen moving models of Dixie and Mewtwo

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I take rumors with a grain of salt, but this web site was right about the original leaks and they also predicted that the koopalings would be alts for Bowser Jr. Apparently the characters are Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Ridley, and Chorus Kid.

Ridley and Chorus Kid are questionable but the leak said they they've defiantly seen moving models of Dixie and Mewtwo
For the record, the "apparent characters" were never part of that leak. Somebody else made that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean the leak that actually showed the real character screen, the ones i mentioned weren't there.
I'm not sure that was really the same people. A lot of websites tend to fabricate stuff. I would join the leaks group and ask exactly what the facts were.

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to honestly believe Ridley is going to be playable.
He's a very significant part of Metroid, the Bowser of the series...and no trophy? (Unless we've found one)

Also, remember the New 3DS. Using the second c-pad is already restricted to New 3DS only, no using the extension for the original. Who says there might be an exclusive dlc for it? *cough Ice Climbers cough*.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Well, this is what I hope happens. With how bad the WiiU is doing, I am a bit afraid they will try to force it on people, but I think that'll hurt them in the long run.

I seriously hope there is some sort of DLC, preferably free but released after the WiiU version. That seems the most fair in my eyes. I'm buying the WiiU version anyways, so it doesn't effect me much either way. Of course, this is assuming there are actually more characters, but I'd honestly be surprised if there weren't at this point.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
He's a very significant part of Metroid, the Bowser of the series...and no trophy? (Unless we've found one)

Also, remember the New 3DS. Using the second c-pad is already restricted to New 3DS only, no using the extension for the original. Who says there might be an exclusive dlc for it? *cough Ice Climbers cough*.
I still think trophies mean nothing on DLC and I still think Ice Climbers have a shot of being wii u exclusive.

lightdasher

Smash Lord

You have no idea how mad I'd be if both Ridley got playable and Ice Climbers remained dead.

"Oh let me remove one of your most favourite characters and put in your most hated character instead"
[Sakurai laughs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom