• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I still think trophies mean nothing on DLC and I still think Ice Climbers have a shot of being wii u exclusive.
Yeah, but no Ridley Trophy is VERY suspicious. Why wouldn't he have one? It would be like not having a Goomba trophy, in a sense (Can't say Bowser Trophy, as he's playable)

You have no idea how mad I'd be if both Ridley got playable and Ice Climbers remained dead.

"Oh let me remove one of your most favourite characters and put in your most hated character instead"
[Sakurai laughs]
I feel your pain brother.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, but no Ridley Trophy is VERY suspicious. Why wouldn't he have one? It would be like not having a Goomba trophy, in a sense (Can't say Bowser Trophy, as he's playable)
...You can ignore his Wii U exclusive character bit. We know it'll never happen.

However, Ridley was only shown on the Wii U version. If he's just a stage hazard, why would he have a trophy in the 3DS version? He doesn't show up. (I'm a Ridley support, but I gotta be realistic too)

Trophies don't mean anything for DLC, but his trophy showing up doesn't mean anything period. Unless it's not in the Wii U version.

D

Deleted member

...You can ignore his Wii U exclusive character bit. We know it'll never happen.

However, Ridley was only shown on the Wii U version. If he's just a stage hazard, why would he have a trophy in the 3DS version? He doesn't show up. (I'm a Ridley support, but I gotta be realistic too)

Trophies don't mean anything for DLC, but his trophy showing up doesn't mean anything period. Unless it's not in the Wii U version.
Because he's the 2nd most important Metroid character, besides Samus herself.
Also, characters could be patched into the 3ds version

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because he's the 2nd most important Metroid character, besides Samus herself.
Also, characters could be patched into the 3ds version
Well, yeah, characters.

But I'm talking about Trophies here. I think trophies will show up on the version the bosses/hazards show up on. Now, we could find a Ridley trophy, but if it doesn't exist, it's simply because he's a stage hazard and all. I think that's a reasonable reason to leave his trophy out of the 3DS version, no? Well, okay, maybe not. But it has logic at least.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
and Ridley :( man I am so dissatisfied by the roster... DLC will never happen, we are just gonna be forgotten and left to rot with the sands of time...
All I ask is for King K Rool and Mewtwo and I would be completely satisified...

Sakurai hates K Rool though, so I am 99% sure this will never happen. But could we at least get Mewtwo?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We will get nothing and have an incredibly disproportionate roster. It was always destined to end in tears from the start...
Dude, stop. We got DLC a bit ago. It was a new Mode.

So we always have a chance of DLC characters.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Let me clear something up. I've never meant that the Wii U will have characters that only appear on the Wii U. They could come to 3DS from linking them, or DLC later, or free update. I just feel that the Wii U version will and should be the "full" Smash version considering it's meant to be the main version of Smash and try and help sell consoles.

I'm not saying if the Wii U doesn't have exclusive characters that I won't buy it, but that if it doesn't have characters not initially in the 3DS version I'm not buying it. If there's no more than what we saw in the 3DS version I see no real point personally in double dipping for Smash 4. Ridley and Mewtwo however would sway me quite well.

I just also personally disagree that people should just accept IC as cut. If they can work on the Wii U but not the 3DS? Well bummer for those with the 3DS version. Shouldn't penalize IC players on both platforms just because the 3DS version exists. As much as you may dislike the term, it is Smash Lite. It has nowhere near the amount of soundtracks, fewer stages, and hopefully fewer characters initially compared to the Wii U version. Not to say they won't come to the 3DS later. Though I still say IC should be in the Wii U version. I don't even play as the IC but never once did I want any unique play style to be cut. Especially not while characters like Dark Pit and Dark Mario got in. (Yes I understand that Doc is Melee Mario but normal Mario should have went back to Melee Mario to begin with, buffed, had FLUDD removed, and had Doc as an alt.)

So I'm personally hoping the linking the versions rumor is true because I really want Ridley and my cousin really wants Mewtwo. Even if I don't get Ridley him getting Mewtwo would make him happy, and that'd make me happy. The roster has poor choices and good ones, but a few certain characters really could turn it around for me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not meant to be the main version of Smash. They're both equal in that regard. I really don't know where you ever got that idea. Sakurai never attempted to make them more than equal players.

I do agree that the idea of having more characters added on to buff up the rosters equally once the Wii U version releases(regardless of how it's done) has merit.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
It's not so much an idea I picked up from anything. It just seems obvious to me, so admittedly opinion. It's a full game in of itself, true. However the Wii U version is a bigger beast in a sense and is most certainly the "main" version as far as content is concerned. I'm not saying this to say the 3DS version is garbage or bad or anything. Just that ever since both versions were announced, and announced to be coming out close to each other, I've always felt that the Wii U version would be the main one. They want to help push Wii Us after all, and no longer need to "save" the 3DS.

Hardcore Smash fans will buy both most likely. If the Wii U has no extra characters and just more modes/music, the average Joe may look at both and just go "Well I've got it for my 3DS. I don't need to buy a Wii U now just for this if the characters are all the same." Which is not what they want, they want people to get interested in the Wii U version. Heck there may not even be extra characters for the Wii U version initially. If not I'm just not so sure any amount of modes or marketing can really sway people to snag it for the Wii U or a Wii U in general. Me being one of them and I even own a Wii U.

Back to IC real quick as I know I keep touching on them, even though I don't play them ever. I don't think them being exclusive to the Wii U version due to 3DS limitations would be bad. It may make some 3DS users upset, but they're not in the 3DS version anyway. Wouldn't it be petty for them to demand that the Wii U owners aren't allowed to have them either? They're the only major constant veteran with a unique move set that has been cut. Doesn't seem fair. Then again as I said I'm pulling for Mewtwo to come back as well so the Wii U version is really the last hope some people have. Perhaps the IC could be added later and only accessible to the New 3DS? Not fair exactly but it's an option, and Nintendo has had content in games for newer hardware revisions before like Links Awakening, DSi download store, etc.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's equally petty for Wii U users to ask for the Ice Climbers when the 3DS version won't get them. It goes both ways.

But the idea behind Sakurai's philosophy is that he just wants everyone to have the same character experience, no matter the version. Which I think is a very logical move.

Anyway, the real issue with the 3DS version is a lot of people are breaking their Circle Pads. The "not as much content" might not matter due to the fact it's mobile and has unique modes too.

But fair enough. It's your preference what you think counts as the most important.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
and Ridley :( man I am so dissatisfied by the roster... DLC will never happen, we are just gonna be forgotten and left to rot with the sands of time...
Yeah I agree about ridley. I still haven't given up hope for dlc though. ..

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I hope this is the case and that Bandana Waddle Dee is a character. He's the character I most wanted in but didn't make it on 3DS.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
My thoughts on this idea:

1. It should happen.
2. It makes complete sense, both from a hype perspective and a sales perspective.
3. It does not betray Sakurai's "both versions will have the same roster" quote, thus is has not been invalidated.
4. I feel like the link-up won't happen though. Maybe DLC.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
It's equally petty for Wii U users to ask for the Ice Climbers when the 3DS version won't get them. It goes both ways.

But the idea behind Sakurai's philosophy is that he just wants everyone to have the same character experience, no matter the version. Which I think is a very logical move.

Anyway, the real issue with the 3DS version is a lot of people are breaking their Circle Pads. The "not as much content" might not matter due to the fact it's mobile and has unique modes too.

But fair enough. It's your preference what you think counts as the most important.

I'll just have to agree to disagree because wanting people to never be able to play a character because you bought a cheaper game on a cheaper console doesn't fly with me. At least we're both hoping that there are more characters that are initially on the Wii U version that will be added to the 3DS at a later date, or through linking. Otherwise what will they hype up the Wii U version with? I'm not throwing in the towel for Ridley until the Wii U version comes out for this reason, especially with the characters being added through linking the versions rumor that has been circling around.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll just have to agree to disagree because wanting people to never be able to play a character because you bought a cheaper game on a cheaper console doesn't fly with me. At least we're both hoping that there are more characters that are initially on the Wii U version that will be added to the 3DS at a later date, or through linking. Otherwise what will they hype up the Wii U version with? I'm not throwing in the towel for Ridley until the Wii U version comes out for this reason, especially with the characters being added through linking the versions rumor that has been circling around.
What I mean is that could very much happen. But many don't believe there is such thing as a superior version regardless. Namely because they both play exactly the same character-wise. There will be new modes, sure. That's confirmed. I'm fine with the Wii U introducing a few then the 3DS getting them, of course. But I will be fair and say that it may not happen too.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Don't care about all these overrated newcomers being imported with dlc, especially after the full character roster was already finished. Newcomers definitely are out of the equation on how I see it. If they are in, it will definitely be decided a long time after release, maybe late 2015 or so. But Veterans are a different story.

Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers are what I'm rooting for, they've been in previous installments and are much more deserving. (Well, idk about Lucas, people say Ness' customs are Lucas' brawl moveset..) in a rare case, maybe Mewtwo could return some day in Smash 4, not expecting it though.

I still completely loving the roster either way, props to Sakurai for that 48+ freshness. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
If that's true then I hope it means Lucas could return with the unique moveset that he never got in Brawl.
Id like that but Id be fine either way, his b moves werent that great anyway, his normals are what made lucas, lucas. (it would be amazing if Lucas received Project M's specials, that would be fantastic.)

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
his b moves werent that great anyway
Yeah, that's what I mean. They made PK Fire very unique, but there was definitely potential for (PSI) Shield/ (PSI) Counter and those stat buffs. If you won't give Lucas his own moves at least give him the moves unique to his game.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah, that's what I mean. They made PK Fire very unique, but there was definitely potential for (PSI) Shield/ (PSI) Counter and those stat buffs. If you won't give Lucas his own moves at least give him the moves unique to his game.
Id be fine either way, as long as the cuts come back. If they do im almost certain they will receive some cool tweaks (im looking forward to this the most, you know if it wasnt a pipe dream.)

Laambo

Smash Rookie
I would love to know the description as well.
A huge batch of trophies( most of which have descriptions) have been leaked here. Sadly Wolf's description isn't there. All we have is that vague trophy of Wolf with no description. His trophy description could be the missing piece to the puzzle and possibly hint at him being playable in the near future. Rally up everyone to find that wolf trophy and translate it's description word for word it could be vital for Wolf and other unrevealed characters.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
A huge batch of trophies( most of which have descriptions) have been leaked here. Sadly Wolf's description isn't there. All we have is that vague trophy of Wolf with no description. His trophy description could be the missing piece to the puzzle and possibly hint at him being playable in the near future. Rally up everyone to find that wolf trophy and translate it's description word for word it could be vital for Wolf and other unrevealed characters.
I wish I knew someone on this board that could speak japanese.

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
Idk, I think IC are different case, because they could be WiiU exclusive due the 3DS limitation...
Who will get mad? Non Ice Climbers users? I think thay dont care about them
Ice Climbers Users? Is Better have them in one version than dont have them...
(If the cut was about console limitations, that is an injustice)
(It's only my opinion Im very sad about their cut I become smasher for them)

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Sakurai intends on sticking to his 'same roster across both versions' status, so I doubt any character will be exclusive to either version.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I hope they are a WiiU exclusive currently and the are working on a patch that makes it so they can fit on the 3ds.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
As much as I don't care whether the Ice Climbers are in or not, you are really going to trust Sakurai with his "same characters" statement? He would be the last person I would trust to keep a promise.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Because he's the main antagonist of the Metroid series? Because he killed Samus's parents? Why wouldn't he have a trophy in the 3DS version? He's not just some random Metroid mook that can be taken or left on a whim.

I'm not even a Metroid fan and I think that's a strange omission. Also characters don't need to "show up" in order to get a trophy. There's a Fossil Fighters and Chibi Robo trophy among others.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because he's the main antagonist of the Metroid series? Because he killed Samus's parents? Why wouldn't he have a trophy in the 3DS version? He's not just some random Metroid mook that can be taken or left on a whim.

I'm not even a Metroid fan and I think that's a strange omission. Also characters don't need to "show up" in order to get a trophy. There's a Fossil Fighters and Chibi Robo trophy among others.
I do not think it's strange at all. Being a Wii U exclusive non-playable character(if that's the case) makes his trophy showing up there perfectly logical. If Sakurai cared about his severe importance, he'd be more than a quick show-up in 2 of the 3 Smash games. He's barely notable in the first game, a quick appearance in the intro and a trophy in the second, and a double boss with a trophy or two(and I think stickers) in the third. He's not given that much love. It probably won't change either way. If Sakurai doesn't see him as severely important(again), why would it change now? Really, people just gotta accept he doesn't care about his importance as much as everyone else. He has his own priorities and opinions.

Whether you like it or not, he may not have a 3DS trophy and there's a completely logical explanation for it, since his importance is clearly not that relevant to Sakurai as it is to us. What his role is. That's more important than just the fact he's a notable character. We knew exclusive trophies would exist anyway. There is nothing surprising about him being a Wii U exclusive trophy, especially if his role only exists on that version. This is a matter of logic here. Oh, and those "other" trophies just happen to be from a handheld character and someone who has almost no representation anyway. Stickers are gone now. Chibi-Robo has to go somewhere. His last game was on a handheld. Simple solution of where to put a Trophy on. He's not an AT either, so why give him a Wii U trophy unless he's a Wii U AT. There is more logic than "The character holds some importance." to take into account here.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
While I'm skeptical about this idea in general, it would be strange if Nintendo didn't provide stronger impetus for purchasing both versions of their game.

In other words, if there is little difference other than cosmetics from both games, why bother purchasing both? And this is problematic for Nintendo, because essentially they'd be competing with themselves, instead of the overall fanbase purchasing 1 of their games. It's silly.

That's why I have to believe there IS some strong incentive to linking both versions. Whether or not it's unlockable characters is up for debate. I've yet to see strong evidence for either direction.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Remember that Sakurai said "fundamentally" the roster would be the same across both versions.

Don't care about all these overrated newcomers being imported with dlc, especially after the full character roster was already finished. Newcomers definitely are out of the equation on how I see it. If they are in, it will definitely be decided a long time after release, maybe late 2015 or so. But Veterans are a different story.

Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers are what I'm rooting for, they've been in previous installments and are much more deserving. (Well, idk about Lucas, people say Ness' customs are Lucas' brawl moveset..) in a rare case, maybe Mewtwo could return some day in Smash 4, not expecting it though.
Well, Mewtwo isn't actually a newcomer, dude. If you're implying he is, then your point has been completely invalidated.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Idk, I think IC are different case, because they could be WiiU exclusive due the 3DS limitation...
Who will get mad? Non Ice Climbers users? I think thay dont care about them
Ice Climbers Users? Is Better have them in one version than dont have them...
(If the cut was about console limitations, that is an injustice)
(It's only my opinion Im very sad about their cut I become smasher for them)
I completely agree with you! I have yet to meet a person (minus Hyper Falco) who would be upset about ICs being an exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom