• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Zero Suit/Samus in Shorts Social

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
THIS IS A PARTY NOW.

WE CELEBRATE THE GREATNESS THAT IS WAIFU SUIT SAMUS

Take 5

Smash Apprentice
It's not uploaded yet, but once it is we should really look at the Nick Riddle vs ESAM set at MLG. Nick Riddle really showed some good stuff for the ZSS v Pikachu MU.

Great play @NickRiddle , that Flip Kick should've killed!
Easily the most hype set of the event...

Next to Grand Finals!!!

So happy for you, @Nairo. Keep it up, you KNOW ZeRo's gonna be back with a vengeance!

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Phenomenal play @Nairo, you made this the most hype Smash 4 tournament to date.

Now for the burst of ZSS mains!

Also I'm picking up Doc.

PyrenZero

Smash Rookie
NNID
PyrenZero
3DS FC
3952-7346-9514
Fantastic stuff @Nairo, so pleased to see my biggest inspiration conquer the unconquerable!

Honor

Smash Apprentice
Been watching every set Nairo and Zero have played religiously!! Super pumped that Nairo finally broke through to the top!

David Viran

Smash Lord
Zero won his first Smash 4 tournament with zss. It's only fitting that he loses his tournament streak to a ZSS. Good stuff @Nairo.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Can't wait for everyone to start wondering if ZSS is better than sheik now. At the very least, everyone is going to start saying she's the obvious number 2.

Anyways, Nairo's grab setups we're unreal. The most impressive part was that Nairo wasn't even getting many early kills. He was just consistently beating ZeRo in the neutral. Think about that. Nairo, with ZSS' sub par neutral, was beating out ZeRo with Sheik's and Diddy's neutral.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Can't wait for everyone to start wondering if ZSS is better than sheik now. At the very least, everyone is going to start saying she's the obvious number 2.
I'm actually dreading this. The out cry for a ZSS nerf will be louder than ever and I'm just gonna avoid the Viability Impressions thread.

DragonBall_Zack

Smash Cadet
As someone who consistently loses to a Ganondorf, you gotta be conscious and mix things up. If you usually recover low, mix it up and recover high. If you find that you use u-air after d-throw a lot, use b-air instead. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable could give an in depth explanation.
If you can, watch videos of yourself playing and be critical. Pick out times where what you did worked and times when you could have used a better option. If you're short on ideas for better options, watch some of the top ZSS players and be critical of them too. As for the specific questions, here's my 2 cents:

1. I actually like practising spacing against the CPUs because they read your inputs and frame perfectly punish you if you mess up most of the time.
2. Sometimes just force yourself to forget about how you perform in a match and just try and nut out an opponent's play style and habits. Soon enough you'll think of ways to counter what they're doing and work these into your game instead of spamming your usual options.
3. Going in as many tournaments as possible makes the anxiety less frequent for me, keen to hear others' thoughts on this.
Thanks guys, much appreciated! :).

Honor

Smash Apprentice
I killed a Fox off the side who was at 160 percent with a somewhat charged dsmash. I laughed really hard. That is all :)

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I'm actually dreading this. The out cry for a ZSS nerf will be louder than ever and I'm just gonna avoid the Viability Impressions thread.
It's obviously justified since the last update though, her aerials on shield are... kinda stupid.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
So I am kinda wondering now that I saw nairo murder zero with this alot during their set in GF.

Is jab to grab like the future? Is it seemingly safer now? I don't want to assume that zero was not ready for every single attempt nairo threw out there...but man that option looks sexy af.

Has there been any development from people like our boy Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen About the viability of something like this after the shield formula change?

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
It's obviously justified since the last update though, her aerials on shield are... kinda stupid.
Our aerials are definitely a bit too safe, but I see most people complaining about our specials instead which have been the same since release and have not caused major problems.

T-Loc

Smash Rookie
I'm curious about a specific grab (kill?) throw setup I saw Nairo throwing out a few times. Basically after the dthrow midstage he somehow combo'd into RAR (perfect pivot or turnaround jump?) UpAir into BAir, which landed the horizontal kill and was hella sick. I remember Nairo experimenting with some reverse UpAir DI mix ups a few months back, but this looked like way more fleshed out than just a mix up. Is this a thing we need to add to our repertoire? What percents should this work best at? If it's solid, is it objectively better than the standard double UpAir followthrough at 60+ %?

I THINK it was either against the Sonic or Fox in top 32.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'm curious about a specific grab (kill?) throw setup I saw Nairo throwing out a few times. Basically after the dthrow midstage he somehow combo'd into RAR (perfect pivot or turnaround jump?) UpAir into BAir, which landed the horizontal kill and was hella sick. I remember Nairo experimenting with some reverse UpAir DI mix ups a few months back, but this looked like way more fleshed out than just a mix up. Is this a thing we need to add to our repertoire? What percents should this work best at? If it's solid, is it objectively better than the standard double UpAir followthrough at 60+ %?

I THINK it was either against the Sonic or Fox in top 32.
Late-hit Uair has always comboed (and frame-trapped airdodges!) into Bair; don't know why more people haven't been using Dthrow -> Rar Uair, honestly.

But yeah, it's definitely a great setup

Peahnuts

Smash Cadet
The reverse uairs might be unpopular because the timing is somewhat strict and thus makes the input harder. But yes, I agree that if ZSS remains unchanged in any large way, using reverse uairs to land the late hitbox should be something we're adding more to our repetoire.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
So I am kinda wondering now that I saw nairo murder zero with this alot during their set in GF.

Is jab to grab like the future? Is it seemingly safer now? I don't want to assume that zero was not ready for every single attempt nairo threw out there...but man that option looks sexy af.

Has there been any development from people like our boy Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen About the viability of something like this after the shield formula change?
Jab: 1.5%, FAF = 21, KBG = 100, WBKB = 45 (stronger hitbox). Weight for Shiek = 85.
Weight Based Knockback = 53.56
Hitstun Frames from Jab 1 = 21

Jab 1 hits on frame 1. Hit lag for striking moves are experienced equally between attacker and victim, so no need to account for that here. I believe the frame you are struck is not counted, or is somewhere accounted for in hit lag, but given that I'm not completely sure, know that this may have an error of 1 frame. Anyways, if ZSS can act on frame 21, Shiek can act on frame 22.

All said and done? Your foe has 15 frames to act when jab 1 is followed by grab.

This seems to be even worse on shield. Attack power of 1.5% generates 2 frames of shield stun. All in all, your foe gets 18 frames to act when jab 1 is followed by grab on shield. 12 frames to act if they choose to shield drop.

So... In either case, I'm not sure what happened. 12-15 frames is plenty of time to do whatever you'd like. However, it may be that jab 1 elicits a surprise response from foes. It's the fastest move in the game, after all. Surprise reaction time can jump to 0.2 seconds (12 frames) or higher.

So... maybe Zero just got spooked? Otherwise, this isn't a trap. Not even close.

David Viran

Smash Lord
It's definitely not a true block string but nairo uses jab 1 for mix ups where if he predicts zero will try to punish jab 1 he will do jab 2. If zero decides to not drop shield he grabs or tries to take good stage position.

T-Loc

Smash Rookie
BTW, does anyone know what Nairo's reasoning is for using a default set up? I understand why tap jump would be more beneficial in some instances, but why does he use Smash C-stick? AFAIK, the only advantages of it would be pivot DSmash. Setting c-stick to "attack" allows for double sticking UpAirs, better ariel mobility, and easier tilts in general.

I know someone is just gonna say "because that's what he's comfortable with", but I just wanna make sure there's not something we're missing out on. I think pretty much every other top ZSS uses "attack" c-stick and it just seems peculiar that the #1 ZSS doesn't.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Choco uses default controls as well. He might just be used to it so he has no problems with using tilts and all that while oos up b is easier.

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
I'am new to zss ,mines is only about three weeks and I think this one of most enjoyable threads to read.I look forward to improving my zss with yall and appericate the time you put into this charcter to make her look good

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
True say Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen and at all my sisters above who started talking about reverse up airs , you ladies bringing a smile to my face as I recall talking about hitting with the end hit of up air (which I should have clarified all those times replying to those posts about getting the up airs to up) so that our lives could be easier.

Now I just need to find a way to inflate my bank account so I can binge on more smash events and set a proper example / make the senpai's proud xD.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
sexy video as always Take 5 Take 5 BB, Now before my dreaded short term memory johns make me forget again I've been meaning to ask you something based on what I've noticed in about some of your plays.

I've seen you showcase a lot of different plays that have lead into laser resets both close and mid range, I was wondering is there a reason you are only going for one downsmash in those scenarios. I didn't want to be presumptuousness and assume I know what you know.

Did you know that when you get those laser resets you can down smas them as they bounce on the ground and as they are getting back up for that small extra %?

Take 5

Smash Apprentice
sexy video as always Take 5 Take 5 BB, Now before my dreaded short term memory johns make me forget again I've been meaning to ask you something based on what I've noticed in about some of your plays.

I've seen you showcase a lot of different plays that have lead into laser resets both close and mid range, I was wondering is there a reason you are only going for one downsmash in those scenarios. I didn't want to be presumptuousness and assume I know what you know.

Did you know that when you get those laser resets you can down smas them as they bounce on the ground and as they are getting back up for that small extra %?
I did not know this (then again I haven't touched a video game for about a month XD).

Thanks for the tip :)

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I did not know this (then again I haven't touched a video game for about a month XD).

Thanks for the tip :)
any time BB just remember to do the first one asap and to charge the second just slightly you can get the timing after a few tries via training mode with battle field edge slips.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Jab: 1.5%, FAF = 21, KBG = 100, WBKB = 45 (stronger hitbox). Weight for Shiek = 85.
Weight Based Knockback = 53.56
Hitstun Frames from Jab 1 = 21

Jab 1 hits on frame 1. Hit lag for striking moves are experienced equally between attacker and victim, so no need to account for that here. I believe the frame you are struck is not counted, or is somewhere accounted for in hit lag, but given that I'm not completely sure, know that this may have an error of 1 frame. Anyways, if ZSS can act on frame 21, Shiek can act on frame 22.

All said and done? Your foe has 15 frames to act when jab 1 is followed by grab.

This seems to be even worse on shield. Attack power of 1.5% generates 2 frames of shield stun. All in all, your foe gets 18 frames to act when jab 1 is followed by grab on shield. 12 frames to act if they choose to shield drop.

So... In either case, I'm not sure what happened. 12-15 frames is plenty of time to do whatever you'd like. However, it may be that jab 1 elicits a surprise response from foes. It's the fastest move in the game, after all. Surprise reaction time can jump to 0.2 seconds (12 frames) or higher.

So... maybe Zero just got spooked? Otherwise, this isn't a trap. Not even close.
Wouln't jab1 combo into itself then? or is it no longer frame1? lol

also is there any info for jab hitbox uptime if holding A? Our jab hitbox duration is like one frame, does it fire every... 21 frames or what?

also im still curious what the startup of our smashes is on charge-release. I.e. upsmash first hitbox comes out on frame 100 if flicking the cstick upwards. Now I start charging upsmash halfway and release, on what frame will the first hitbox come out now compared to when I released?

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Wouln't jab1 combo into itself then? or is it no longer frame1? lol

also is there any info for jab hitbox uptime if holding A? Our jab hitbox duration is like one frame, does it fire every... 21 frames or what?

also im still curious what the startup of our smashes is on charge-release. I.e. upsmash first hitbox comes out on frame 100 if flicking the cstick upwards. Now I start charging upsmash halfway and release, on what frame will the first hitbox come out now compared to when I released?

Do you mean charged up smash using the cstick or just flicking it for quick upsmashes

David Viran

Smash Lord
Also im still curious what the startup of our smashes is on charge-release. I.e. upsmash first hitbox comes out on frame 100 if flicking the cstick upwards. Now I start charging upsmash halfway and release, on what frame will the first hitbox come out now compared to when I released?
Fsmash is 3 frames, usmash is 5 frames and dsmash is 4 frames.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
i lost to #1 in my region while i am #3 so i am ok with it considering the fact that aside from yesterday where i dropped the ball and got 2nd at a much smaller tourney I have not played this game for like a month since #1 came to my house Lol.

I really wish the competition was Siginificantly higher so I stop getting away with semantics, I also need to realize paralyzer shots are kind of obsolete now with the shield change unless I am going for landing traps and junk.

BUT TY anyways #1 zss in the world is still the dream despite how I am lazily slinking on towards that goal like a snail?

Last edited:

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
Always aim for the top and the only time I use my netural or side b is when I wave bounce,b reverse, or guess a getup attack or standup ledge option from the ledge

Exodia

Smash Rookie
pichuthedk pichuthedk Are you V115? Lol because it says you're from Toronto and you say you're 3rd best in the region. Personally I don't believe there are any notable ZSS' in Western Canada.. I'm the only Zero suit known to us and maybe out of state players? (that'd be cool lol). I don't travel out of state very much but I plan to do so soon. I'd really like to play V115 some time, wondering if he or any of you guys are going to attend NorthWestMajors in Washington this November 20th. Might attend that, and will probably be attending Genesis!

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
N
pichuthedk pichuthedk Are you V115? Lol because it says you're from Toronto and you say you're 3rd best in the region. Personally I don't believe there are any notable ZSS' in Western Canada.. I'm the only Zero suit known to us and maybe out of state players? (that'd be cool lol). I don't travel out of state very much but I plan to do so soon. I'd really like to play V115 some time, wondering if he or any of you guys are going to attend NorthWestMajors in Washington this November 20th. Might attend that, and will probably be attending Genesis!
No bro V115 is @infiniteV115 .
I am just his "unofficial understudy" have been since brawl like 4 years ago.

I said I am 3rd in my region ontario has the main pr which is generally all the toronto guys. But it was decided to just make a pr for the towns around an hour away from Toronto just to sort of cultivate a part of the scene since the players of durham either can't travel to toronto or don't even know about it.

I am Ryoko the zss main and unlike V115 I don't actually have any other characters other than zss(sure I can pretend I know how to play sheik but who can't ?).

I am not really known by a majority of the high/top level players because I am just above the mid level due to the fact that I am lacking in a lot of the fundamentals required to be successful at the higher levels generally solely playing on my physical capabilities(although I do have a surprise/limit break factor).

Most notable thing would be that game on ally I guess...

I've hung out with some high/ top lv players lIke ally , holy , nairo, Vinnie , esam (although he was so drunk at apex 2014 he probably doesn't remember me xD.)

And I've received a shout out from seagull Joe

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeagullJoeSSB/status/592868652069875712

Which since he beat Zero kinda makes me feel good ;).

I was gonna upload the pic of our pr however they updated the page and it only has the melee one zzzz....
Anyways I have 2 more hours of work if I remember I'll just take it off my phone...if I saved it.

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Hey, Zamus social! My question isn't too important, so I figure I'll ask it here: What are some tips for beating Master Core on 9.0 with ZSS? What are some safe/quick moves that hit decently hard?

Last edited:
Top Bottom