• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
666...i know...but...goodbye 666...

hey Simna, you think you could tell us what you're doing? maybe let us help?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
in essence...we are doing just that...trying to figure out what we are doing...

we dont know exactly what causes this which is why we canty do it very well and why i cant tell u how to do it....we have to figure it out first

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Aww... I guess my vid will have to wait. But why don't you share some of the things you are doing with us? I mean, even if you don't quite know what you are doing right now, tell us what you have been doing and we may discover the tricks. I mean, that's how we discovered the current effects right?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
ok....but like i said we dont have much info at all yet

it involves WDing towards a ledge and using upsmash so the yoyo hangs COMPLETELY off the side (string and all) and still charges(does not need to hit anything)...charge all the way

being pushed to the edge while charge the smash via Tree Wind of another character doesnt work

GO FOR IT!^_^

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I think I've done that. I did it on the UFO in Fourside before as it extends everyones (minus the Icys with their cleats) WD to the max. Maybe we should test there. Oh and, I think I may have accidentally slipped across a SYYG trait the other day. I had put on Spike Jacket and was going for TJ, but the opponent (fox) walked into me during the process and I hit him 3 times with the jacket. I was like 0_o. You could tell because I heard the "smack" sound that you get when you spike 3 times, and Fox flew up, down, then up again. Tell me if I'm onto something here.

Reik

Smash Ace
I think I've done that. I did it on the UFO in Fourside before as it extends everyones (minus the Icys with their cleats) WD to the max. Maybe we should test there.
Already thought of that. According to Damian(the one who discovered the glitch), doing that makes the yo-yo look exactly the same as if you had performed the glitch, but it doesn't actually activate it.

I talked to Damian on AIM a lot about this a week or two ago. Apparently the glitch is very difficult the pull off (even with AR) because we don't fully understand it. We know that it has something to do with starting the u-smash on a certain frame of the teeter animation (one of the first few frames), but Damian commented that the frame is not always the same. He also said that he had once done it without wavedashing toward the ledge first. (However, I think we should keep that practice until we understand it more, because this is how Simna was able to pull it off once.)

Damian said that he has a video of himself doing it with AR, but he needs to find his capture card first. Still waiting on that. Once we get a video hopefully we can analyze it more.

Oh and, I think I may have accidentally slipped across a SYYG trait the other day. I had put on Spike Jacket and was going for TJ, but the opponent (fox) walked into me during the process and I hit him 3 times with the jacket. I was like 0_o. You could tell because I heard the "smack" sound that you get when you spike 3 times, and Fox flew up, down, then up again. Tell me if I'm onto something here.
Wtf... that's not possible. Exactly what were you doing at the time? Were you just running to the ledge or were you already off the stage? Maybe phantom hits make the sounds and you only thought you saw him fly up and down? Phantom hits still have hitlag, so I can imagine someone making that mistake.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ummm... I'm not sure. It all happened so fast, but I know for a fact that I wasn't even going to the edge. I was attempting an aerial floorblast. I jumped. and as soon as I left the ground, I heard 3 smacks and fox was flailing around.

:veryconfu

Reik

Smash Ace
You can't equip a jacket of an attack that has multiple hitboxes at the same time (as I explained in the FAQ). The bat has at least 3 hitboxes... I haven't had a chance to use AR in a while so I'm not sure anymore.

EDIT: Lol... sorry. I just realized that I DIDN'T explain that exactly that way in the FAQ. I think I left it out for the final version because it wasn't really necessary to know.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Maybe I was hallucinating...

I've gotta lay off the Elmers glue...:psycho:
But maybe not. I'm pretty sure I heard 3 smacks.
And after you get it to charge off the stage completely, then what? Keep charging it to the max? Hit something? Let go? I got it once today, but I fluked it. I mean, I got it to charge off the edge, but I didn't quite get how I did it, and what to do afterwards.

Reik

Smash Ace
And after you get it to charge off the stage completely, then what? Keep charging it to the max? Hit something? Let go? I got it once today, but I fluked it. I mean, I got it to charge off the edge, but I didn't quite get how I did it, and what to do afterwards.
Ahh... lucky. I've never been able to get it. I think Simna said you're supposed to let it charge for at least 10 frames. After that you should have it no matter when you let go or fully charge it. (Not sure.)

Anyway, since you pulled it off, please give me as many details as you can remember so that I can do some more testing:

1. What stage were you on? Which side?
2. Were you in training mode with slowed down speed or VS with normal speed?
3. What game version do you have? 1.0, 1.1, 1.2?
4. Did you wavedash toward the ledge?
5. Did you visibly see Ness start to teeter before you started the U-smash?
6. About how long did you charge it? (Less than half? Barely at all?)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ahh... lucky. I've never been able to get it. I think Simna said you're supposed to let it charge for at least 10 frames. After that you should have it no matter when you let go or fully charge it. (Not sure.)

Anyway, since you pulled it off, please give me as many details as you can remember so that I can do some more testing:

1. What stage were you on? Which side?
2. Were you in training mode with slowed down speed or VS with normal speed?
3. What game version do you have? 1.0, 1.1, 1.2?
4. Did you wavedash toward the ledge?
5. Did you visibly see Ness start to teeter before you started the U-smash?
6. About how long did you charge it? (Less than half? Barely at all?)
Umm... I'm not good at observing spontaneous things
, and my brain was hurting since I was trying for 2 and a half hours, but I'll see what I can remember.

1. FD left
2. Training mode normal speed
3. I always hoped no one would ask me this >_>. Alright... time to confess...
"I dont know how to tell..."
4. Yes
5. That, unfortunately, I dont remember.:ohwell:
6. I charged it as long as you would for a normal YYG.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
cool...we are making better progress than i expected

EB360...about your multiple spikes....could there have been any other targets on the stage that u could have hit such as:

Items, Needles, other characters, shy aways, anything like that?

Reik

Smash Ace
3. I always hoped no one would ask me this >_>. Alright... time to confess...
"I dont know how to tell..."
Take your Melee disk, and turn it over to the shiny side. Hold it directly in the light, and search for tiny text on the dark ring. You'll have to experiment by holding your disk at different angles in the light, until the text is visible.

Eventually, you should be able to find text that says "DOL-GALE-0-xx".
The "xx" will actually be a number, which tells you which version you have. The version numbers are below:
00: Version 1.0
01: Version 1.1
02: Version 1.2

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
also u can try this: If you live in Europe or Australia then u have PAL version

if u dont then go to training mode and try to use Link's Super Jump, if you can u have version 1.0, if you can't then switch to bowser and see if u can flame cancel

If you cant then u have version 1.2, if you can u have version 1.1

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
i've always wondered, what would it say for PAL?

hmm...
maybe i should read the guide again....last time was what, 6 months ago?

so it doesnt work on UFO? how about the slippery surface on test and flat zone?

Handorin

Smash Hero
Awsome find guys. o.O
A friend and I are great Ness fans and Im sure he will be excited about this if he doesnt already know. (About this new SYYG).

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
i've always wondered, what would it say for PAL?

hmm...
maybe i should read the guide again....last time was what, 6 months ago?

so it doesnt work on UFO? how about the slippery surface on test and flat zone?
i tried it on the slippery surface in test arena and had no success....that's not to say it doesnt work

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
OMG! no one ever answers the PAL question... oh well.

might as well try it with a max wavedash frame by "phrame" then.

huh-he....i just read post 1....wow....i missed something those 6 months....

squaminator

Smash Ace
i take it that many failed attempts are expected on this (syyg) glitch.
i wded and still, nothing. lots and lots of times.
using v. 1.00 btw

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Umm... okay, I can't check my game right now. I can't even touch my Gamecube (i'm not allowed right now). I'm actually not even supposed to be online:p ! But I can Link Super Jump, I know that. Also, I can do the Static Glitch/Electric Ness Glitch. I can even PKTB. And I really don't see why it wouldn't work on the UFO. I did it once there. (Charging it off the edge). I mean, I don't see what it doesn't have that the edge on FD does, well maybe a grabbable edge, but that doesn't affect the glitch does it?

Reik

Smash Ace
Okay... at least it works on 1.0 then (which is what I have). I've been trying it a lot with many different timings and I've never gotten it to charge even once yet, though. I really wish I had a video or a detailed description of the timing. :ohwell:

And I really don't see why it wouldn't work on the UFO. I did it once there. (Charging it off the edge). I mean, I don't see what it doesn't have that the edge on FD does, well maybe a grabbable edge, but that doesn't affect the glitch does it?
*shrugs* I've gotten it to charge many times on the UFO and the ice platforms in Icicle Mountain, but it doesn't drop a hitbox or anything.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Why does everyone keep saying "cool find with the SYYG"? I've not seen anything but text related to it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^

Because we are still in the process of making discoveries, and we can't do it consistently, thus cannot make vids of it yet. We just don't knoww how to yet.
Oh and Simna, about the triple SJ, I was fighting Fox in vs. mode, no items on FD. So, I'm pretty sure I didn't hit anything. Oh, and this has haapened to me before, but I just never took into account/ noticed it. I've seen it happen with star jacket too. Although, I'm waiting for the day in which it will happen to TJ!!!:demon:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
ok...so i guess nothing will be happening for a while.

but why do it on FD when it's so much easier to WD on somewhere with a slope?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Damian told me that he has tested and it works n both 1.0 and 1.2 (1.1 not tested)

also...I have tried this on the fin in corneria (couldnt do it successfully...but then i have only be able to do it once anyway^_^)

also consider that it might work on ANY platform big enough WD to upsmash the way required

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
but why would there be a dif from WD on a flat platform and a slpoe?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, I don't have an AR, so can I ask one of you who have one to answer these? This could possibly help us in our discoveries.

1. What is the earliest frame you can attack after performing a WD?
2. How man frames do you need for Ness to actually start charging his yo-yo.

The more I try, the more I lose hope in being able to do this in battle.:( I haven't been able to get it ever since my first time.:crying:

Rhyme

Smash Lord
last night while i was practicing the yyg, something i had never heard of before happened. i equiped the thunder jacket, then ran over to the computer(samus) and it did a phantom hit with the jacket. samus flashed with electricity and took 12 damage but did not go anywhere, then i took a short step fowards and the jacket still worked and blasted samus from the stage, even though it had already hit. so apperantly phantom hits do not use the jacket effects. just wanted to put that out there, wasnt sure if anyone else encountered the same thing.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Lol

What a coincidence! That just happened to me yesterday! I'm serious. It really happened to Fox again. I just heard zap zap, and then looked at the training mode stats to see 2 hits and 35%. But this wasn't what happened to the other jackets.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
so theoritcally you can position yourself so it does like a lot of damage.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah, but doing it in battle would be really hard. Got the frame info yet? No one has beaten you to it, so you have a chance!:chuckle:

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Yeah, but doing it in battle would be really hard. Got the frame info yet? No one has beaten you to it, so you have a chance!:chuckle:
your asking me? sry but i cant take credit for that. i have AR and basic recording equipment, i couldnt study frames in the game even if i wanted to. :cry: its up to someone else unfortunatly for me. :cry:

my guess however is that it will be the number of frames of hitlag for ness' thunder hit + 1 frame for the new hit to take place. so lets say you suffer...11 frames of hitlag because ness' b up has an electric element, then it would be 12 frames.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Umm... actually, I was talking to Annoying. He was saying he would try to get the frame data, but was afraid someone would beat him to it.

Top Bottom