• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Word Thread

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Expanding your vocabulary is something I always try to do, but I have a tendency to forget some of the really cool, unique words I learn through out the days.

So, here's a thread where if you find a cool word or interesting expression, just post it (preferably with a link to its definition and maybe a story that goes along with it) and see how much we all learn :bee:

I'll go first:

Anathema: a detested and cursed person or thing. (Found it browsing the Marvel Comics wiki site :p)

Mudita: A sympathetic joy, one received from seeing others succeed or be happy. Antonym of schadenfreude. (Found it browsing Reddit, oddly enough!)

Battlecow

Play to Win
Paneity

The quality of being bread

Best ever. I work it into conversation on the daily.

Link2thelost90

Smash Lord
"Bundesbank"

the central bank of Germany.

"endoscope"

An instrument for examining visually the interior of a bodily canal or a hollow organ such as the colon, bladder, or stomach.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
In college, I once used 'pulchritudinous' in a comic I drew for the newspaper and was asked to take it out because no one knew what it meant :p

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

''Niveous'' Like snow. Adj.

''Aphotic'' Dark. Adj.

''Ambage'' Displaying multiple notions through one idea. N.

''Noumenon'' The belief that the human mind exists only through another's human mind.

''Empyreal'' Lighter; brighter than fire, and light. Heavenly. Adj.

''Isocracy'' Equal power. N.

''Haecceity'' The essence of who we are. N.

''Atramentus'' Black as ink. Adj.

''Achroous'' Dark. Adj.

''Isatis'' A fox. N.

Those are some of the words I know off the top of my head, but keep in mind, big words aren't all that amazing IMO. Words were ment to be communication, not a game to see who can learn the most arduous nonsensical behemoths. If an adult, and a child can speak at the same level, and hold the mature foundation. What is the use of big words, except personal gain? I understand if you like words that sound better than the other, but I used all these words for my names I used to go by. I never use them outside of that. I speaketh engrish. (and the truth) ^^

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Temulency
N.: state of being drunk.
(adj.: temulent)

Aglets
N.: the little plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces

<3 this thread btw

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Abhor:
to regard with extreme repugnance or aversion; detest utterly; loathe; abominate.

Horrendous:
shockingly dreadful; horrible

I just found one of my new favorite threads ever.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Floccinaucinihilipilification - the estimation of something as valueless.

Probly my favorite word when I was in middle school, a friend told me about it. I think I actually tried putting it in an essay once but the teacher had no idea what it meant, hah.

Link2thelost90

Smash Lord
bungalow -
1. A small house or cottage usually having a single story and sometimes an additional attic story.
2. A thatched or tiled one-story house in India surrounded by a wide verandah.

obscurant-
n.
One who opposes intellectual advancement and political reform.
adj.
1. Characterized by opposition to intellectual advancement and political reform.2. Tending to make obscure: an obscurant bank of clouds.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
N.: a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs

but more importantly, the longest word in the english language

Cunnilingus

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Awww. "Anathema" was the title to the first story I posted on Smashboards. Too bad SWF's archives don't go back past 2007.

Words!

When I was a copywriter, a client once got angry with me for using the word "Sartorial" in an ad. (It means pertaining to tailors and tailoring. And clothes. And such.)

At a recent job interview, I dropped the word "esoteric" in a sentence. I later found out that they specifically referred to that when talking about why they wanted to hire me. Nerds. (It refers to knowledge only known by a select few.)

Lately, though, I've been fascinated more with usage than with exotic vocabulary, particularly with words that have similar but slightly different meanings.

For instance:

You can both sleight someone and slight someone. Sleight pertains to dexterity and trickery, especially when it pertains to magicians. It can also be used for con men. Hence the term "sleight of hand."

A slight is an insult. "He slighted Bob by not inviting him to the party." You can slight someone through sleight if you embarrass them in a game of 3 card monte. You can sleight someone through slight if you create misdirection buy calling their mother a dirty prostitute.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I was texting a friend of mine this word and she couldn't believe it was a real word and I couldn't believe she never heard of it before.

Flabbergasted: to overcome with surprise and bewilderment; astound

She thought I made it up and gave me quite the laugh.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Floccinaucinihilapilafication

noun
Rare . the estimation of something as valueless (encountered mainly as an example of one of the longest words in the English language).

My uncle told me this one once when I was younger and trying to show off my vocabulary. Needless to say, I added it.

T-block

B2B TST
Dammit Crimson =P

Floccinaucinihilipilification - the estimation of something as valueless.

Probly my favorite word when I was in middle school, a friend told me about it. I think I actually tried putting it in an essay once but the teacher had no idea what it meant, hah.
I love this thread haha... I'll try to contribute. For now, the only word that comes to mind is

ameliorate - to make better or more tolerable

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I can't believe nobody's mentioned one of my all-time favorite words: defenestrate. To throw something out of a window.

Link2thelost90

Smash Lord
narcotic -
a: a drug (as opium or morphine) that in moderate doses dulls the senses, relieves pain, and induces profound sleep but in excessive doses causes stupor, coma, or convulsions
b:a drug (as marijuana or LSD) subject to restriction similar to that of addictive narcotics whether physiologically addictive and narcotic or not
2: something that soothes, relieves, or lulls.

perplex:
1:to make unable to grasp something clearly or to think logically and decisively about something
2:to make intricate or involved

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Speaking of homonyms
I find it interesting that the word 'incense' is a pleasant fragrance meant to soothe, while another definition of the same word means 'to infuriate'

And for the word bank:
pecksniffian
- Hypocritically and smugly affecting benevolence or high moral principles

Virgilijus

BRoomer
The word 'cleave' actually has two definitions that are antonyms: one to separate and the other to join together!

Funny thing, this language of ours. :bee:

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Quibble

an instance of the use of ambiguous, prevaricating, or irrelevant language or arguments to evade a point at issue.
the general use of such arguments.
petty or carping criticism; a minor objection.

^This is honestly one of my favorite words to use ever.

Gatlin

"Qualtagh"
- the first individual a person meets after exiting his or her house.

"Slubberdegullion"
- A villian

"Tarantism"
- A psychological illness characterized by an impulse to dance, prevalent in southern Italy from the 15th to the 17th century, believed at the time to have been caused by the bite of a tarantula

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Spoonerism: an error in speech where corresponding consonants, vowels or morphemes are switched

A while ago my mother asked me to get her a "shipe knarf" (sharp knife)
there was laughing out loud

Anjila

Smash Cadet
Persnickety
1. Overparticular about trivial details; fastidious
2. Snobbish; pretentious.
3. Requiring strict attention to detail; demanding

Macaronic
1. Of or containing a mixture of vernacular words with Latin words or with vernacular words given Latinate endings.
2. Of or involving a mixture of two or more languages.

... I guess Spanglish could be considered macaronic? :p

Spoonerism: an error in speech where corresponding consonants, vowels or morphemes are switched
Haha, I did that plenty while playing Melee. You'd hear me saying "Loung Yink" a lot

Gatlin

Adoxography - Skilled writing on an unimportant subject

Brontide - The low rumbling of distant thunder

Cacoethes - A bad habit or insatiable urge

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So most people (or maybe just most Americans) speaking modern English consider jealous and envious to be interchangable. Turns out, they aren't actually synonymous.

Envy is to want something someone else has.

Jealousy is kind of an anxious resentment as if to fear having something of yours taken from you.

That may be kindergarten stuff, but it's also probably one of the biggest misconceptions in modern English.
which I only just recently learned :teeth:

Top Bottom