• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Im waiting for LoZ MM because I haven't played yet and all of my friends say Im not a true Zelda fan...
I'm definitely getting the older zeldas as well...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
snaking is impossible
Actually, it is possible to snake in the 64 version, but it is much harder to pull off since many tracks have hills and incredibly uneven surfaces. You just have to practice more than you probably had to in the DS version. Drafting is also in the game.

It's a shame you can't save ghost data because you needed a Controller Pak. :ohwell:.

Sensai

Smash Master
Thanks GAW. You have all the games I own, or I would give you a suggestion.

But instead, I have a question for you: is your Wii close to filling up? Or do you still have plenty of space? Sorry, I'm just a little worried about how much space my Wii will have come August or something...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
You mean space in memory or space in channel windows? I don't think you have to worry about memory filling up that soon. I have one game from each system except the 64 (there's only 2 anyways) and they take a mere 20-30 blocks. Super Mario Bros. probably has the lowest of 20 being an NES game, so the others games up not to much more than that. I started with like, 2000 blocks and now my block space = Sensai's post count. That's probably because the Internet Trial takes up as much space as roughly 10 VC games. SO if you filled you Wii with nothing but VC games, you could probably fit nearly 80 of them in there. Can someone tell me how many blocks an N64 game takes up?

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Actually, it is possible to snake in the 64 version, but it is much harder to pull off since many tracks have hills and incredibly uneven surfaces. You just have to practice more than you probably had to in the DS version. Drafting is also in the game.

It's a shame you can't save ghost data because you needed a Controller Pak. :ohwell:.
Well, it not really snaking, since you have to pause between every Mini turbo.

Zink

Smash Champion
I think N64 games take significantly more blocks. I know I have 1 NES game and 2 TurboGrfx games, and I have like 1650 left. I'm considering getting rid of the Internet Channel, considering I will never have a stable internet connection, and I wouldn't use it anyway. Same goes for weather and news channels.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Shh don't tell anyone but my internet connection to the Wii isn't coming from my house... And my actual one sucks, so I get benifits from Opera, and such things. When I think about it, why would someone buy and use the Internet channel if most people have better features on their actual computer? Now I'm thinking that when more favorable N64 games come out this year, people will be slowly getting more and more worried about space.

Loop

Smash Apprentice
The virtual console is amazing.

The only games I've downloaded so far are:

Super Castlevania IV
Gunstar Heroes

Everything else that is worth getting I already own and/or have played a million times. I'm just waiting for some more games to come out that I haven't played already.

Sensai

Smash Master
How's Castlevania, Loop?

And I expect for them to release something so that we can have more space (external harddrive?). Things are going to start fillin' up QUICK, especially if they start having some games that can only be downloaded offline (Sam and Max comes to mind).

Loop

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoyed Castlevania IV. I got into the series late, and the only Castlevanias I have played are the metroid-style games like Symphony of the Night and the ones on GBA and DS. I wanted to finish up with the classic Castlevanias, and I figured since SCIV was on VC it would be a good place to start.

It's a really fun platformer/action game. It can be a little hard at times, but it's nothing too difficult. I would highly recommend it to anybody.

I just noticed that Contra III was released today. Anybody who hasn't played it should really look into it. I've beaten it countless times and it's still fun to play through.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Mario Kart still has it's bugs in it. :( For instance, music in multiplayer is wack. People on the left side get music when they get a star while people on the right don't. It's a lot faster too for some reason, I heard. It's fun drifting in 90 degree angles!

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think N64 games take significantly more blocks. I know I have 1 NES game and 2 TurboGrfx games, and I have like 1650 left. I'm considering getting rid of the Internet Channel, considering I will never have a stable internet connection, and I wouldn't use it anyway. Same goes for weather and news channels.

Dude, just pick up an SD card. You can get a gig now (which is about 17,000 blocks) for 20 dollars.

I have 9 VC games, the internet channel, and a bunch of songs on the card and needless to say I doubt I'll ever fill it up. With songs, maybe, but those aren't vital.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Thanks GAW. You have all the games I own, or I would give you a suggestion.

But instead, I have a question for you: is your Wii close to filling up? Or do you still have plenty of space? Sorry, I'm just a little worried about how much space my Wii will have come August or something...

I'm actually a little concerned about space. If I remeber correctly, I'm down to around 1,300 blocks. This wouldn't be a big issue if games on the SD card could be played immediatly upon inserting the SD card into the Wii, but from what I hear, you have to put the games back onto the Wii hardrive. I can not confirm this, and don't know how big of a hassle it would be, but I have little doubt that with any new channels coming in the future, more VC Games, and even the normal Wii games, I could easily run out of space.

(On a side note: if you were talking about running out of space in terms of channels for VC games, it shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure that Nintendo could update us for another page in the future if need be.

:)

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Mario Kart still has it's bugs in it. :( For instance, music in multiplayer is wack. People on the left side get music when they get a star while people on the right don't. It's a lot faster too for some reason, I heard. It's fun drifting in 90 degree angles!
It does that in the original, so yea...

Sensai

Smash Master
GAW, I was talking about the space (as in, the 512 MB), so you answered my question perfectly. Thanks.

Typh, reading GAW's post. That's why people wouldn't necessarily rush out to buy an SD card ( I got a gig one for 3 dollars on Black Friday, w00t).

Chill

Red
BRoomer
So I downloaded a Link to the Past. I'm kind of bothered by some things but I'll see what I think when I beat it.

Majora Zach

Smash Cadet
So I downloaded a Link to the Past. I'm kind of bothered by some things but I'll see what I think when I beat it.
Bah, when that game came out on the virtual console I felt like punching myself in the face. I was disappointed in spending 1500 of my 2000 points on NES games. I wanted to get LTTP so badly. Too bad SNES games are more than 500 points (Whatever their price is...)

I guess I'll just buy another Wii points card...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Oh, the lovely things you can do with a debit or credit card. Wii Shop Channel. Purchase points.

Zink

Smash Champion
My full review of Street Fighter II World Warrior!
Overview-
This game, I think, does not make the best entrance to the 2D fighter genre. However, it isn't the worst, either. It's a good game to try out if you aren't sure if you want to play other fighting games, because it has the bare basics of the Street Fighter series. However, it lacks a lot of the polish and extra stuff the later additions have, so in that regard it might be a good idea to pick up one of the Capcom Classics Collections for a different console, as they have many SF games in one package.
Graphics-
Well, it's SNES era. Nothink too special, mostly sprites and little fire effects. Looks decent, the graphics get the job done, and aren't terrible.
Story-
Not much of one. Apparently, whoever you pick wants to become world champion. To this ens, you battle the other 7 characters in random order, then fight 4 bosses in a set order. There are also two bonus stages where you break bricks or smash a car. There isn't any real dialouge aside from taunts.
Gameplay-
The meat of the game. There are 8 playable characters- Ken and Ryu, who are exact clones, Guile, Honda, Chun Li, Blanka, Dhalsim, and Zangeif. They all, except for Ken/Ryu, play differently. Everyone can block by pressing back, although there is no guard animation unless an attack connects or just misses. You can block standing or crouching, and each one blocks different attacks. You move with the control stick and jump/crouch with it as well. Everyone also has 6 attacks- weak punch, strong punch, fierce punch and weak kick, strong kick and fierce kick. Each varies in range, power, and windup/cooldown lag. They have different properties in air and while crouching. In the air, stronger punches stay out for a shorter time. Same for kicks, although the strong kick has the most range. You may only perform one aerial per jump. There are also special moves, which are executed in 3 ways: with a roll of the stick and a button, by rapidly pressing a button, or by holding the stick one way for 2 seconds ("charging") then putting it the other way and pressing a button. They work reasonably well. However, some of them, notably the charge attacks and the more difficult stick rolls like that of the dragon punch, are very difficult to do with the GCN controller. As a whole, the moves come together to form a pretty balanced moveset, and each charactr has a unique fighting style. There is one problem, however- proectiles are a bit overpowered, taking off 10%-15% of your lifebar and being essentially unblockable- you can guard, but since projectiles are special moves they do damage even when blocked. You can only erase a projectile with another projectile. So this can lead to "projectile wars" where both opponents spam projectiles in the hopes of winning through and leading to a combo.
Single Player-
Simple player mode takes the form of the "World Warrior" travel-n-fight path, with no option to go one on one with a CPU in single matches. That said, the story mode is mostly enjoyable, although retardedly difficult boss characters destroy the learning curve. It's possible to go through all 7 normal battles without being defeated, then get perfected several times in a row by a boss. It's very frustrating, the more so because it's difficult to even come up with strategies to beat the bosses. In addition, you won't be able to beat the same boss the same way on different difficulty levels, of whaich there are 7. I have never attempted above 4. At 3 you get a personalized ending, which is nice.
2 Player-
2 player is pretty normal, a one on one with selectable handicaps and stages. This also functions as a training mode if you leave the 2nd player's controller alone.
Final
The game does what it does seamlessly, without any lag or glitches, but the bosses are so difficult as to reduce replay value. If there was another installment released on VC, say, Hyper Fighting, I'd probably buy it based on my experience with SFIIWW. It's pretty fun, except for the bosses, and has solid and deep gameplay. Worth a try- $8 isn't much, and you might like it. It will take yo ua few day to get used to the controls, however, and maybe a few more to actually learn how to effectively use the attacks.
Rating- 8.5/10, Worth Trying.

Sensai

Smash Master
Cashed, jeah, I know. The thing is, my parents don't feel comfortable giving away the credit card numbers and such to anything ever. Thus, I'm reduced to buying cards.

Plus, I think it helps me be calm about it all. If I could just download games whenever, by the end of the week I'd have downloaded anything and everything. This way, I'll have to wait until I actually get the card to purchase these games...then I'll only have 2000 points, so I'll be forced to choose.

And there were none. There WERE, however, a ton of nunchucks...

Sensai

Smash Master
I just turned 18, meaning it's just now possible for me to get my own debit card.

I don't spend their's (just giving you a hard time), either. I have a job (I tutor). I spend my own money, and when I need a credit card, assuming they let me use it, I pay them back.

When I do borrow their money (as in, they say 'here, take this money, don't worry about paying us back'), I'm really REALLY cheap about it. I went on a snowboarding trip this Xmas vacation and spent a grand total of five (5) dollars from their pocket.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
You don't have to be 18 to have a debit card. All you need is a bank account. You're saying that you just keep your money at home when you get paid?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything I just think it's odd that you wouldn't have a debit card yet.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Yeah I was only 15 and a half when I got my card (tho they said I'm supposed to be at least 16 but oh well), and I've gotton at least 2000 points on it already. Gotta save in case something worthy comes out Monday.

And, Happy Birthday Sensai. :colorful:

Sensai

Smash Master
Super Mario World today, along with a few others.
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=11194

Nintendo said:
Super Mario World™ (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): During a vacation in Dinosaur Land, Princess Toadstool gets kidnapped and a spell is cast on the inhabitants of the island. When they stumble upon Yoshi™, a young dinosaur, Mario™ and Luigi learn that Bowser is responsible for the terrible misdeeds. Now, all Yoshis are trapped in magical eggs that Bowser has hidden throughout seven castles. Many hidden paths aid Mario in making his way to Bowser's castle, completing 74 areas and finding all 96 exits. Discover items, including a feather that gives Mario a cape that allows him to fly, or a flower that shoots fireballs in layers upon layers of 2-D scrolling landscapes. Players can even ride Yoshi and swallow their enemies.

VIGILANTE™ (TurboGrafx-16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): Brave the streets of New York City in this side-scrolling beat-'em-up game. Thugs kidnap the beloved Madonna, and it's up to players to become vigilantes. Players fight their way into enemy territory to get her back. Enemies attack with weapons like iron pipes, chains, guns and motorcycles. To fight back, players can punch, kick or use the "nunchaku" item that appears in the stage. Players must use each of the attacks effectively to defeat their enemies. To clear a stage, defeat the boss that waits at the end. Players fight their way through exciting stages that include the City Streets, Junkyard, Brooklyn Bridge and the Backstreets.

Gain Ground™ (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): It's the 31st century, and science and technology have progressed to the point that the human race is approaching perfection: no war, no poverty and no conflict. With nothing to worry about, the human race seems destined to live forever in harmony. But what if Earth came under attack? By this point in time, people did not know how to cope with problems or conflicts, and had completely lost their survival instincts. In response to this, the United Earth Government created the Gain Ground system, a war simulator that would help humans rediscover their lost instincts. After several terrible malfunctions, the creators became prisoners in their own creation. Now it's up to players and two courageous comrades to go into the Gain Ground system, rescue their fellow humans and destroy the system. Players battle through different periods in history as they revive their survival instincts, while trying to live.
I got 4000 points, w00t.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to be 18 to have a debit card. All you need is a bank account. You're saying that you just keep your money at home when you get paid?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything I just think it's odd that you wouldn't have a debit card yet.
To be on an account solo you need to be 18. Which means you need to be 18 to have a debit card.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
...I have a debit card and I'm 16, even though it's not a solo account.

Zink

Smash Champion
HAPPY DRIVER'S DAY SENSAI!
I'm thinking of d/loading SMW, but I found that I didn't play Super Mario Bros as much as I expected, and I'm wondering if I should save my points.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
All right people, the most notable game this week is Super Mario World, and I'm here to give you the details.

As you can see above, Sensai quoted the game's story and basic functions in general. Diving a little deeper into the game, you'll find an awesome platforming game, what I consider to be the best one on the SNES. If you've played Super Mario Bros., then you already have an idea of what this game has in store. The graphics are more vibrant, there are many stages, and the game flows smoothly along. You're familiar with the mushroom, flower, and star I presume. The feather that introduced Mario's cape allows him to fly for short periods of time. Yoshi is also introduced as a sidekick and can be used as a tool and weapon to get through the stages. They also come in sepreate colors: green, red, yellow, and blue, each capable of a different ability when holding a shell in it's mouth. Red can spit fire, yellow can cause tremors when he jumps on the ground, and blue can fly! Green...he's normal. You'll need to have a specific colored shell if you want one of those abilities for greenie.

The controls are a little different from the other Mario platformers, as he can now do a spin jump that lets him break blocks when he's big. See, instead of using A to jump, you use B while A is to spin jump. You run with X or Y. (Avoid playing this game with a GameCube controller if you can; the controls are wack)This scheme makes controlling Mario a little weird if you've been playing Super Mario Bros. for a while, but you get that hang of it. You'll need good control if you want to find all the secret areas, like the Star World, or even the one beyond that. If a stage is marked with a red dot, that indicates an alternate exit is possible, leading to a hidden stage. There are plenty as you go along, so if you want to find every last secret, you'll be playing SMW for a long while.

If you have this game on the GBA, there isn't much reason to get it on the Wii unless you really want it, or want the original in your collection. This was all based on my own thoughts and memories I have of the game, as I remember this game extremely well. Heck I have a freaking strategy guide on this game from Japan (a lot more useful than you'd think). After losing my SNES 4 years ago, I'm really happy to actually have this game back with me. This is one of my favorite games from the old systems... I love this game, and if you like any other Mario Bros. games, you will too.

Zink

Smash Champion
Yeah, the GCN controls take a lot of getting used to... man, I think I need a classic controller. First SFII and now this.
Anyway, the game is a fine example of 2D Marios. I like Yoshi, although the run mechanics are a bit awkward because you have to tongue first.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ok. I'm looking to buy a game, but I'm not sure which one to get. Here are the choices:

Sonic
Legend of Zelda
LoZ: Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros.

I own all of them already, but my Genesis/Snes aren't hooked up (and I don't wanna have to find the cartridges...), and the NES isn't in my room. Feel free to suggest another game, if there's a good one. I already own Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, and Gunstar.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Don't you see it as wasting money if you already have them? I picked up Mario 64 and Super Mario Bros., both of which I already have on the original system, and it just feels like a total waste. I played SMB for about 10 minutes and haven't touched it since. I beat Mario 64 in a day and haven't touched it since. I played Gunstar Heroes once by myself and once with a friend, it's way too clunky for me to enjoy, but atleast I don't own it so I enjoy it somewhat. I'm not going to be buying games I already own on the VC, hell, I only play on purchasing Super Metroid, Mario Kart 64 (Eventually. Not in a rush. And yeah, I don't own it.) and Smash Bros (Yeah, I don't own it, either) if they continue to release old games only. Nintendo, plz let indie developers release really low budget titles over the Wii Shop Channel. I love Assault Heroes, Heavy Weapon, Geometry Wars, Zuma, etc. on my 360. I'd like some original love on the Wii, too.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yeah, I'm only buying games I never owned. Super Mario Bros is probably the most downloaded title on the VC. But I won't buy it. I played that game so many times as a kid I don't see a reason to buy it again.

I might buy Super Smash Bros. but even that's not likely. If I already have Brawl and Melee I don't need it. I get the whole "nostalgia" thing but it's not for me.

Nintendo did say we would see original games on the VC so we should expect to see those in three or four years.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I'm so tempted to give into temptation and buy some VC games. But I live under the PAL region. And thanks to region locked VC's as you would imagine ours really won't end up being that impressive lol. I was really hoping to see some classics which never reached our shores (like Super Mario RPG or Fire Emblem 1-5) but apparently it may not happen.

What do you guys think the odds are of Nintendo changing their minds and throwing me some more reason to get into the whole VC thing? Lol.

And wow, picking from one of those games Sensai... it may not be easy as they are all must-haves lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom