• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The unofficial "Does the online lag?" thread

dguy6789

Smash Lord
It's very comparable to Brawl in my experience so far. Most games are somewhat smooth but the latency is definitely there and impacts matches in a negative manner. Performing air dodges and spot dodges in response to very fast moves online makes the latency highly noticeable.

People buffering moves have a huge advantage over the people that have to try and react. Example: Lucario rolling behind a character and doing an uptilt immediately after the roll. The Luc player can input that utilt before the roll ends so it comes out instantly after the roll while the opposing player is trying to grab or jab or whatever to punish the roll. The delay between the time the opposing player presses buttons to punish the roll and when the move comes out is just about always too high to possibly be able to punish the roll so you get uptilted. If not for the input delay you would usually be able to just grab someone at the end of their roll before they could do anything else.

The fact that everyone rolls so fast in this version of the game makes even small amounts of latency truly alter the way the game is played.(rolls are far harder to punish online than in local play)

Additionally, a lot of people who do not notice the latency are not good enough to do so yet.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Brawl's online was far better in this regard.
I'm not kidding.
Too bad your brutally incorrect. I've played Brawl's online many times in the past and I can assure you the online for Smash Bros. 3DS is SO much better than Brawl's. I never had one match where it wasn't extremely laggy or had major input lag. In Smash Bros. 3DS I've played over 120 1v1 matches with little to no lag and very little input lag. It is leaps and bounds better than Brawls's online. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. There are multiple people in this topic who are saying they have had a great online experience. How many people can say they had a great online experience with Brawl?

Perhaps your Internet is crap or you've had poor matches up, I'm not sure. But to claim that Brawls's online was better is a farce and sounds like trolling to me. I personally guarantee anyone that Smash Bros. 3DS's online is amazing and while it may not be perfect, it's a thousand times more playable and fun than Brawls's crappy online. I promise you that much.

Last edited:

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Too bad your brutally incorrect. I've played Brawl's online many times in the past and I can assure you the online for Smash Bros. 3DS is SO much better than Brawl's. I never had one match where it wasn't extremely laggy or had major input lag. In Smash Bros. 3DS I've played over 120 1v1 matches with little to no lag and very little input lag. It is leaps and bounds better than Brawls's online. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. There are multiple people in this topic who are saying they have had a great online experience. How many people can say they had a great online experience with Brawl?

Perhaps your Internet is crap or you've had poor matches up, I'm not sure. But to claim that Brawls's online was better is a farce and sounds like trolling to me. I personally guarantee anyone that Smash Bros. 3DS's online is amazing and while it may not be perfect, it's a thousand times more playable and fun than Brawls's crappy online. I promise you that much.
Speak for yourself. I don't think I've ever had an unplayable match on Brawl, which is more than I can say for this.

Granted this may pass a few months after launch, but out of several dozen matches I've had maybe two or three that didn't take at least twice as long as the actual time to complete.

Last edited:

Daisy101

Smash Journeyman
wisely this is at least better then Brawl online for sure. Noticed some input lag button on some games, but it wasn't very strong ones like brawl.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Speak for yourself. I don't think I've ever had an unplayable match on Brawl, which is more than I can say for this.

Granted this may pass a few months after launch, but out of several dozen matches I've had maybe two or three that didn't take at least twice as long as the actual time to complete.
Hmmmm that is unfortunate. Sorry to hear your online experience hasn't been as enjoyable as mine and many others. Not sure how this is possible but I suppose it's either really bad match ups or your wireless. Hard to say either way. Regardless, the many people who have had they're impressions in this thread have mostly said the online is very good and has little to no lag sometimes. Therefore, by evidence from they're word, the online overall is much better than Brawls. I know of no one besides you who had a pleasant experience with Brawls online, even if they had a good Internet connection but If you say you had a good experience with Brawls online, so be it. Just please don't discredit the voices of myself and many others when we say that Brawls online no where near compares to Smash Bros. 3DS's online in terms of stability and overall enjoyment.

Last edited:

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm that is unfortunate. Sorry to hear your online experience hasn't been as enjoyable as mine and many others. Not sure how this is possible but I suppose it's either really bad match ups or your wireless. Hard to say either way. Regardless, the many people who have had they're impressions in this thread have mostly said the online is very good and has little to no lag sometimes. Therefore, by evidence from they're word, the online overall is much better than Brawls. I know of no one besides you who had a pleasant experience with Brawls online, even if they had a good Internet connection but If you say you had a good experience with Brawls online, so be it. Just please don't discredit the voices of myself and many others when we say that Brawls online no where near compares to Smash Bros. 3DS's online in terms of stability and overall enjoyment.
There have been plenty of people who have found the online just as bad as I do; just read the other comments in the thread. It works both ways; you shouldn't discredit the people who aren't finding the online great for them. A lot of people with optimal setups are still experiencing the same problems. And it isn't just lag, a large number of games just get dropped altogether. Just my own experience.

Matthew "Demo" Rak

Bad at Smash
Slippi.gg
Demo#0
Brawl's online was atrocious and unplayable for the entire duration of the game's life cycle.

Smash 3DS, while more stable, is every bit as bad. I haven't had disconnects, or terrible stuttering. Just consistent, noticeable 5-10 frame input lag.

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another where someone stated that other fighters have this problem. I play Street Fighter IV, I've played it online (on an HDTV, no less) via XBL, and also through Steam. Input lag in that game is nonexistent. In general, though, it's a lot better designed. You can see opponents' connections and can opt not to play them if the connection is poor (something that could, and SHOULD be implemented in Smash).

Nintendo messed up, again. I'm not surprised and I have very little faith that the Wii U version will fare any better. It's sad.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Lag everywhere, I'll just wait for Wii U to play online. 3DS is a joke.

Ian095

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eponian
3DS FC
0473-7759-5302
If you always have lag chances are it's you creating it, I barely ever get lag but when that one person with a bad connection joins in and lags the entire game for a minute straight it's so annoying! I just leave after the match and find new people I seriously can't play with massive lag it puts me off.

yume_nikki

Smash Cadet
So at least to me, the online experience have been great. I can see myself playing this game for years with a netcode this good. Obviously, it isn't perfect, but honestly? It couldn't have been.
Ironically, I played with you in For Glory (or at least, with someone with your nickname), and I had some of the laggiest online matches I've had since release.
Still, the online is decent. 80% of the matches I've played were enjoyable, some of them with barely any lag. Not as good as local, but responsive enough.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
For some reason, I get random bouts of bad input lag at points. Typically, I'll exit the 'room' and find a new match and it'll be gone. Otherwise, it's very good.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ironically, I played with you in For Glory (or at least, with someone with your nickname), and I had some of the laggiest online matches I've had since release.
Still, the online is decent. 80% of the matches I've played were enjoyable, some of them with barely any lag. Not as good as local, but responsive enough.
If the Reila was playing Bowser Jr, Robin or Duck Hunt, it was likely me indeed.

Anyways, please note that I never said I only have perfect matches, but MOST of them are lag free or have very low input lag.

By the way, I just had a couple For Fun matches with barely any traces of lag and it was awesome. For Fun was actually fun, which is kind of rare :p

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
I notice the lag with certain people. Even after one game ends, if you play that game and then play against said person again, the lag is still there. If you leave and fight somebody else its gone. I understand that they make the lag the same on both ends to be more "fair" but let the person with bad internet face the consequence. Maybe they'll stop doing online play if they can't handle it.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
My experience has been very enjoyable so far. Very few matches have had unbearable lag, and even fewer with bad latency. There will always be a liiiittle bit of input lag online, but it's so minimal that I can still time my attacks pretty well. I'm loving my experience. It's leaps and bounds better than Brawl.

CH4LK

Smash Rookie
I waited soooooooooo long for this game, and was so excited to be able to play online. But even with friends I cant have a decent match. Its all choppy and my inputs most of the time don't even register. I'll input to dash and just stand still, completely ruining my timing and ITS ****ING GARBAGE. Makes me so mad. Sakurai needs to make some damn servers. I can play any other game on my pc or my xbox with no lag at all. WHY CAN'T I JUST PLAY MY FAVORITE GAME. /endrant

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Out of 10 matches : 4 are unplayable, 4 has delay/input latency, 2 are ok ( still with some delay).

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
Yeah in a few 1v1 matches I got some pretty bad lag. You'll find lag especially in free for all or team. Though whenever you play with friends (in the same room IRL) you won't find even a bit. Have fun and good luck

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I've experienced a lot of lag thus far. I've purposely ended matches because they were simply unplayable (took me about 10 seconds to land on the ground from a double jump). I have had a lot of minor lag or no lag matches, but yeah, the lag is overall pretty terrible atm.

Reila

Just played like two hours of friendly matches with two to four persons. No lag at all. It sucks that a lot of people are having trouble with the online, though :ohwell:

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
I've played over a hundred matches on for glory and had minimal lag, sure it wasn't perfect and, I did have one or two unplayable matches but the online is not as bad as Brawls IMO I don't even remember a good match I had in brawl.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Well looks like you can't drop out of a game and join another immediately. i was in a horribly laggy match and i wanted to quit and do another one, but it says i had to wait 10 minutes...

pretty lame. so anytime you have a laggy match you have to suck it up and deal with it or else be banned for ten minutes...

Dundaga

Smash Rookie
First Brawl game i've played online. Thought it would be great with Nintendo's servers. Drop out every 3 or so games and extremely laggy at some point.
Was not fun lel.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Online is a joke. It's better than brawls, but input lag and sudden jumps kills it. 2014 and we're still playing like it's 2004.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I have mixed reactions on the online. Sometimes it runs very smoothly, but other times I'm either have severe input lag, usually with JPN players, or it feels like I'm playing Super Smash Bros. for Microsoft PowerPoint.

sssetz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5964-6193
The games online works completely fine for me. If you are on a shared network it might lag, but I played on my home network with friends from all across the country, 4-player matches and it was great.

Dont.Forget.To.Smile

Smash Rookie
I think someone should look into this....

every match I've played has been incredibly choppy. Painfully playable, but every single action, animation, and input feels like it's running at 10-15 FPS. Get hit by a forward smash and it might take 6 seconds to fly across the screen, choppy and interrupted.

Just did speed test on my ISP, I'm getting 3.2 mbps down and 1.1 mbps up.

If the problem is simply not enough bandwidth, that's one thing, but from reading above it seems that most are in the "online is playable" boat, while the select few are experiencing what I have - it takes ten minutes to complete five minute game.

is this a bandwidth problem on my end? is the consistent and inescapable lag on behalf of nintendo servers and high traffic? if there are people playing this online who have little to no complaint, i feel that some other problem must exist that only affects a minority of users who have yet to enjoy anything close to a tolerable online experience.

Reila

I think someone should look into this....

every match I've played has been incredibly choppy. Painfully playable, but every single action, animation, and input feels like it's running at 10-15 FPS. Get hit by a forward smash and it might take 6 seconds to fly across the screen, choppy and interrupted.

Just did speed test on my ISP, I'm getting 3.2 mbps down and 1.1 mbps up.

If the problem is simply not enough bandwidth, that's one thing, but from reading above it seems that most are in the "online is playable" boat, while the select few are experiencing what I have - it takes ten minutes to complete five minute game.

is this a bandwidth problem on my end? is the consistent and inescapable lag on behalf of nintendo servers and high traffic? if there are people playing this online who have little to no complaint, i feel that some other problem must exist that only affects a minority of users who have yet to enjoy anything close to a tolerable online experience.
I read the online quality depends more on the ISP than on the bandwidth. Of course, you will stoçç need a decent upload speed, but it is not the most important factor, apparently.

Hopefully people will find a way to "fix" the connection issues some are having. Smash online has been very enjoyable to me, so I want more people to experience it with lag free (or almost lag free, in For Fun) matches.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Honestly I've barely had any lag issues at all. Latency here and there but my connection is incredibly stable, and tbh it requires really good connections to work well. If you have those, the online is GREAT. Otherwise it varies.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten some real bad lag offline with peers. And notoriously bad lag with some american players funny enough. No lag in 75% of matches.

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
80% of the time I experience 1-2 frames of lag and all is well.
20% of the time I'm playing in what can only be located deep in some uncharted island that makes a 5 minute match last 30 minutes.

It feels bad having that 1 out of every 5 games.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Having read many of your experiences with the online, it leads me to believe I either have a good internet connection or I've just been really lucky with my 200+ online matches because while I do have the occasional input lag or laggy matches, for the most part, my online matches have been very enjoyable with little to no lag, which is fantastic! I'm sorry to hear that many of you are not enjoying the online or are having a crap load of problems with it, that's truly unfortunate. Not trying to brag or anything, I'm merely showing that not everyone is having a problem or has issues with they're online experience.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Having read many of your experiences with the online, it leads me to believe I either have a good internet connection or I've just been really lucky with my 200+ online matches because while I do have the occasional input lag or laggy matches, for the most part, my online matches have been very enjoyable with little to no lag, which is fantastic! I'm sorry to hear that many of you are not enjoying the online or are having a crap load of problems with it, that's truly unfortunate. Not trying to brag or anything, I'm merely showing that not everyone is having a problem or has issues with they're online experience.
Probably cause you have awesome Canadian internets. US has some of the worst internet speeds in the first world, even though we invented the damn thing.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Probably cause you have awesome Canadian internets. US has some of the worst internet speeds in the first world, even though we invented the damn thing.
Meh, our internets are alright but hey, that's cool if you believe we have awesome Canadian internets! :seuss:

Last edited:
Top Bottom