• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The unofficial "Does the online lag?" thread

xTeru

Smash Cadet
I honestly refuse to believe anyone that says they don't have lag. You might not have chopiness type of lag, but input lag is definitely there. There's always a few frames of lag like you tried to hook up your gamecube to an lcd screen. I have a really reallly fast connection too. I can't play tournaments that way.
Well ofc online will NEVER be as smooth as offline play on a CRT TV , what the hell do you expect? 1v1 works pretty well and the input lag is really good for me, maybe like 5 frames. It's better than project m on netplay for me

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
There's always some level of input lag when I play, but most of the time it's fairly low. It's usually not on Brawl's online level.
There's always some level of input lag when I play, but most of the time it's fairly low. It's usually not on Brawl's online level.
Well ofc online will NEVER be as smooth as offline play on a CRT TV , what the hell do you expect? 1v1 works pretty well and the input lag is really good for me, maybe like 5 frames. It's better than project m on netplay for me
Most games don't have this level of lag. This and Brawl are the only games that I've played with actual input lag.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
It's varied. Sometimes it feels like no lag, possibly because I have been playing P:M and Brawl on an HD tv so I just don't notice anymore, but sometimes the input lag is worse than brawl, and I had a wait like a whole 2 seconds for an input to go through.

However, my household has acquired much more wireless items since Brawls time, going from 2 computers to 3 computers, a bunch of smartphones, a wii u and another 3ds, and it's still better than Brawls online majority of the time. And the lag has never prevented me from doing something I originally intended to do anyway.

If it comes down to it i just end the game by suiciding and just leave the room if the lag's really that bad.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
So I found that reducing wireless interference around the router and the 3DS can help somewhat. I turned off my cellphone and recent fights have been much less laggy.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
This game overall feels too reliant on each player having a reliable ping for the most lag reduction. I've had some games were it was almost as fluid as fighting a CPU alone to Brawl levels of degradation. Most of these were For Glory 1-v-1s.

I had a Marth vs. Villager match on Luminose City FD and there was a lag hiccup of 1 minutes, trickling down into seconds worth of chunky lag w/o disconnecting. The peak occured when Villager used his Lloid Rocket to receover from the left side, so the lag made it a desperate waiting game where my approach was screwed up by the server reading my inputs at the wrong times.

For reference, I live in Massachusetts, United States and my ping is 25ms. I'm going to try reducing wireless interference, since my living room has had the least lag to play from.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mine worked well for the most part. Had one team match that took a good four minutes due to one guy having terrible internet.

Over-all, it's not bad enough for me to complain about netcode or anything. Lag online is only slightly worse than in local.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I've run into a couple of laggy Online battles, but for the most part, the speed of my matches are very good, nothing that would want me to give up hope.

For some reason, there's less lag for me when I'm up against players from Japan, as opposed to players of other areas.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I've run into a couple of laggy Online battles, but for the most part, the speed of my matches are very good, nothing that would want me to give up hope.

For some reason, there's less lag for me when I'm up against players from Japan, as opposed to players of other areas.
I think Japan has better internet services in general. *shrugs* Can't remember where I heard it...

Farorae

Smash Ace
I've played around like 20 matches online(probably more) and only once have I had a lag problem. I left that match and it was fine as soon as I went against someone else. So far my online experience has been great.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
From my experiences, maybe 1 out of 5 people I encounter will have some issues with lag.

When that's the case, I simply look for someone else to play with.

When it plays smooth, I can barely tell the difference, so I've been having a great time online. TBH, I'm actually quite surprised. A month back, I genuinely did not think the 3ds would be able to handle this.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Some people are calling the online trash... Well....

The online isn't trash. If it was, no one would be able to play it without lag. If you read the thread you will see a lot of people are having great online experiences.

DarkZeroGSX

Smash Rookie
Some people are calling the online trash... Well....

The online isn't trash. If it was, no one would be able to play it without lag. If you read the thread you will see a lot of people are having great online experiences.
Stop repeating yourself. It works for you, congrats, stop rubbing it around. It doesn't for a bunch of other people (myself included), most of us have a pretty decent connection and it still lags. Yes, the online is trash.

I live in the east side of canada, and played around 30 or so matches so far. Most of those lagged from little input lag to full blown ultra slow-mo action. Very rarely did I find someone that didn't lag.

It's a pretty terrible experience so far. That and the controls.

Reila

Stop repeating yourself. It works for you, congrats, stop rubbing it around. It doesn't for a bunch of other people (myself included), most of us have a pretty decent connection and it still lags. Yes, the online is trash.

I live in the east side of canada, and played around 30 or so matches so far. Most of those lagged from little input lag to full blown ultra slow-mo action. Very rarely did I find someone that didn't lag.

Don't tell me what to do :)

Also, the controls are perfectly fine. Git gud.
The world doesn’t revolve around you, buddy.
I am not your buddy :)

Last edited:

Aura Warrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-2557-2596
Today I played 2 matches online with the same guy, the first was super laggy, and the seconds was perfect...
In general, half of my matches have lag.
I do not know what to conclude from this, Sakurai said the lag is due to the internet speed, but I think the server is also partly to blame.

Don't tell me what to do :)

Also, the controls are perfectly fine. Git gud.
Let me fix that last sentence:
Also, the controls are perfectly fine for me.

The world doesn’t revolve around you, buddy.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I do better online than I do wireless lol.

Shog

Smash Ace
So people blame the game for there bad connection, while people like me who have nearly flawless experience (out of ~ 80 matches only one Brawllike Lagfest, and I do 4 player matches with items folks)

Huh. I dun geddit. How does I and other here get a good experience while for other it lags? Isn't it than your own fault? As I said: I dun geddit.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I honestly refuse to believe anyone that says they don't have lag. You might not have chopiness type of lag, but input lag is definitely there. There's always a few frames of lag like you tried to hook up your gamecube to an lcd screen. I have a really reallly fast connection too. I can't play tournaments that way.
I don't know, I actually switched from Local Multiplayer with my friends to wifi from my phones personal hotspot and the online was less laggy. I actually switched because Local was having input lag.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Ive come to the conclusion the game has a very bad long distance matchup. Even when i play with friends, if theyre more than half hte US or so away the game gets really bad. Likewise, more than 2 players tends to drag it down.
Any For Glory games i get that lag i just quit and find another player afterwords. Usually by the 3rd/4th person i find someone close to me and we have virtually no lag. Fortunately its usually an even match too lol

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
I've yet to touch the online yet.
They really should add a way to seperate the potential matchups with the option to play within a specific region.
I imagine playing online and getting a really laggy foreign person would be really annoying and is easily preventable with a patch for this.

BanjoK&MarioBros

Smash Cadet
Nope! It hasn't lagged much at all. Only in 4 player ''for fun'' matches. The online in this game is amazing IMO, I guess I'm just lucky :awesome:

Shookie

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0731-4834-0579
Played 4 matches in For Glory 1v1 a couple minutes ago. No lag except for a couple seconds in one of them.

Khao

Smash Lord
The more-or-less 10 For Glory matches I played were just plain unplayable, input lag was ridiculous to the point I could jump, try to do an aerial, and the button would get registered after landing.

With friends, it has been ****ing flawless, though, almost as smooth as local multiplayer.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
It's really weird to hear that the online is going terrible for some people. I haven't had any problems with the online on all modes. The only problem that I get on occasion is input lag.o

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
i get pretty bad input lag, in some games nearly as bad as brawl :/
it makes it so hard because it basically means you have to rely on hard reads
im already ready to give up on for glory mode

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
Well, for me it's either AWFUL framerate lag OR sort-of-awful input lag (it's playable but unpleasant, on my other house).
I guess I have to play online at midnight just to play the game well, with my family using the whole wifi(it's actually great when I'm the only one using it.)

Oh if only I can show you the replay where me and some japanese guy just rolled around for about 3 minutes and he made mistakes to use his side b(he's on Lemmy) and fell off, and I got lucky to hit him with a fully charged shot(Samus)

Last edited:

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
When I got back home, the lag is gone. Sometimes, there is a noticeable about of input lag, but it's much better than Brawl's online.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I haven't played with Australian friends yet, but I've more or less had a typical Brawl-level online experience - one second input lag, 10FPS, etc. I've put up with this for my entire life in every online game I've ever played, though, so... eh. I've seen it running flawlessly on streams so it's probably on my end. Sharing a connection with four people in the Australian countryside is not ideal for online anything.
Local should be fine, at least.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I've only played two matches, and the lag has been horrendous. It's been unplayable, and I've lose solely because of the lag making me SD and run into attacks, etc. I can play Mario Kart 8 online with a full party with zero lag, I play online on my PC and Xbox One constantly with no lag, so I should think that I could play a 1 v 1 game of Smash with little lag. Apparently not. The Wii U version needs to be better in this regard.

Reila

Has anyone experienced the problem of friends not seeing the rooms you create? I can join other rooms just fine, but seems like the people on my friend list can never see my rooms. It is not a big deal, but still weird and slightly annoying.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The online has been great so far for me. It's of course not perfect with the occasional match with lag and choppiness, then the occasional input lag, but overall fantastic.

Also, it seems to be getting better and better as time passes. I think it's because less people are playing online now that we are off launch day.

Friends are also a fun time. <3

Smashingveteran

Smash Rookie
Now that I'm playing with my friends who can host and have actually good connections, lag has been minimal with them. We even had lag-less 4 player matches with one of them being in the UK. Given it was jittering for a few seconds the first match but then everything went smooth

I've only played two matches, and the lag has been horrendous. It's been unplayable, and I've lose solely because of the lag making me SD and run into attacks, etc. I can play Mario Kart 8 online with a full party with zero lag, I play online on my PC and Xbox One constantly with no lag, so I should think that I could play a 1 v 1 game of Smash with little lag. Apparently not. The Wii U version needs to be better in this regard.
Because it's a fighting game. They need to have every person in sync and it needs to pause to stay in sync. Mario Kart 8 does lag quite a lot, but it's unnoticeable because the race doesn't pause to bring everyone back into the same position and the server-side information won't force you to where it thinks you are so you yourself don't feel interference ever. Mario Kart 8 is also server based, along with those other games. Smash 4 is peer-to-peer. They could improve the netcode through updates but unless your Wii U is wired there will be no difference.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
That's weird that everyone seems to be having trouble. I almost never have lag trouble. When I do, it's a noticeable spike and clearly on the opponent's end.

xTeru

Smash Cadet

He's just saying that it could be your fault and not the games. Maybe your router is crap or you're too far away from it or your wifi settings could need some tweaking

xTeru

Smash Cadet
Most games don't have this level of lag. This and Brawl are the only games that I've played with actual input lag.
All fighting games that I've played online had some input lag, other genres work differently and over servers. Smash and most fighting games are p2p so even if the netcode is perfect you will always have minimal lag

Imagine fighting games would use servers for 1v1 combat, it would be expensive and the player with the lower ping to the server would have a huge advantage

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I've played around 120 online matches in 1v1 now and I must say, 90% of my matches have been lag free with little to no input lag. What's amazing about all this is that I don't exactly have the greatest wifi connection in terms of download and upload speed. I mean don't get me wrong, it's obviously decent enough to have so many matches feel as good as they do but it still surprises me.

I've found almost every time I play in For Fun it's lagging but not unbearable laggy like Brawl, at least not for most of my matches. I had some actually really lagless free for all matches in For Glory mode which was amazing and made me hopeful for when I try that again.

Obviously the online isn't perfect. If it was, we wouldn't have so many people enjoying the online and others deeply depising it. Overall though I can say with certainty that I've had a very pleasurable experience with online, making this games replay value infinitely better that's for sure. Sorry to hear that there are those experiencing such levels of unbearable lag when it comes to they're online matches. Hopefully your match ups in the future will improve so you can experience what most of us are experiencing in regards to the online quality of this game.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
The lag isn't any more fun when everyone's just rolling around baiting attacks. Seriously, why do people just roll and camp now? It's slow enough already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom