• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The unofficial "Does the online lag?" thread

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am not a mod, so I can't make official threads, BUT since the release of the game, I have seen like... 10 or more threads about the online lagging or not lagging. It always either some asking if the online lag or complaining about the online lagging. So I figured making one thread for questions about the online in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS would be a good idea. If it isn't a good idea, then any mod is free to lock this thread, if they want.

Anyways, as for me, I have played around 150 online matches since the game was released (lol obviously I couldn't play them before) and at least 80% of them were lagless. Only 10 of those matches were For Glory, with more or less 10 For Fun matches and all others against friends (a lot of them against @jaeohjae). The matches against friends were like 95% of them without any lag, but the every single For Fun match lagged a LOT. Also, something worth noting is that all matches in Arena Ferox lag to me, regardless of which mode I am playing. I dunno why.

So at least to me, the online experience have been great. I can see myself playing this game for years with a netcode this good. Obviously, it isn't perfect, but honestly? It couldn't have been.

Share your experiences with the online or ask questions about it in this thread :)

Nezzuccho

Smash Rookie
From what I've seen it uses a peer to peer network so playing with your friends is going to mean no lag.

As for me I've played a few games online as it only came out today where I am and none of the games I've played have been lagless :( it's a little frustrating that I can't just like set a ping limit or anything like that

Thearnaud44

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone i'm new here.

I have a pretty good connection but the thing is that I always seem to get this 0.5 second lag input. It really does bother me and I feel that it is keeping me from showing my full potential online. I have yet to play with 1 single friend online but every other for Fun or for Glory match I've done have been disappointing. I have also been with a 3 player online friends match and the results were barely better. I was just wondering if any of you have the same problem, or is there a lucky fellow who has seemed to escape the lag completely.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I've definitely experienced a lot of matches with lag. Mostly For Fun and For Glory matches. It's really bad when a player from Japan enters the match.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I have not experienced any lag, even though I´ve played 300 for glory matches. It´s a bit choppy every know and then. But for me it´s "a okey".

Reila

From what I've seen it uses a peer to peer network so playing with your friends is going to mean no lag.
My Smash friends live in different places (some in different countries), so I don't think that is the case.
Hi everyone i'm new here.

I have a pretty good connection but the thing is that I always seem to get this 0.5 second lag input. It really does bother me and I feel that it is keeping me from showing my full potential online. I have yet to play with 1 single friend online but every other for Fun or for Glory match I've done have been disappointing. I have also been with a 3 player online friends match and the results were barely better. I was just wondering if any of you have the same problem, or is there a lucky fellow who has seemed to escape the lag completely.
I think online matches will always have a little bit of input lag, but it is hardly noticeable in most of my matches. Again, I would like to mention that some stages lag more than others for whatever reason. I just played 8 For Glory matches against the same person since I posted this thread, I only had problems in one of the matches, namely a Robin x Charizard match in the Tomodachi Life stage. I noticed a bit of input lag there, but it wasn't THAT bad either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The online is perfect in this game so long as everyone has a decent connection, and most people will.

I've heard a lot of people say that 4 player games have problems. However, I was playing 4 player with friends yesterday, and for the most part, it ran just like a single player game (we switched items on and off periodically, and it didn't seem to have any bearing either).

For reference, I live in Ireland, Co. Meath, and my internet speed is around 100Mb download and 20Mb upload. One of the players was also Irish, living in Dublin. One of the players lives in New York. And I don't know where exactly the fourth player is from, but I know she lives in the United States.

In our entire session (it went on for at least an hour with all four of us), we only had one real hiccup, in that one of the players (the guy in Dublin) got a communication error during one match. It caused the match to start going crazy slow for a second and the match got automatically ended in No Contest by the game. The lobby didn't get disbanded, however, and the guy who had the communication error was able to rejoin just fine and we continued.

As far as For Glory goes, again, mostly fine. I get the odd match that's a it delayed or has stutters. And I will admit, my very first match online actually performed Brawl levels of terrible.

However, considering how most of my matches have been perfect, I think it's safe to say the netcode is actually very good overall, even if it has a few small problems. It seems to be about as good as any Tekken game, honestly.

Heck, I've even played against some Japanese players with no issues at all.

Last edited:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
To be quite honest I haven't experienced major lag online, there were a few hiccups here and there but it worked overall pretty good. I can say one thing though, it beats Brawl Online by a long shot!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's almost perfect in 1v1s with near if not perfect button response if the players have good connections or something. I can't say the same with 4 players when I played on For Fun. I don't think I ever had a non-laggy game with 4 players yet, though I only played with so little.
But again, it varies with the players, and I'm better off with doing 1v1s and such.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
All these people getting matched with good partners while I'm here wishing my FPS would go above 10 in a 1v1 For Glory match.

;n;

Someone test if I can play with friends laglessly; my FC is:4596-9639-1071

Last edited:

HelveteDoragonX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4871-4887-6597
Meh, What I have noticed is that the game does not make an ounce of an attempt to find people from your region, Hence the obvious input and visual lag at times. You'd think that at launch the game wouldnt find any problem at pitting at people close to you,but it seems to fail at that.

In other words, if you play people from your region, it's ok. If you are playing with someone whos across the other side of the world, it ain't pretty.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This game seems to be entirely on your connection if you get lag or not, not so much the ping, in For Glory at least.

I've played people from Japan laglessly. I've played people from America where it was intolerable.

If you get a laggy connection with someone in For Glory, just quit and look for someone else. If 90% of your matches are laggy, it PROBABLY means your connection isn't good enough for Smash.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
In ALL of my matches I have only had a single stutter in one of them and that is all.

Last edited:

Reila

Meh, What I have noticed is that the game does not make an ounce of an attempt to find people from your region, Hence the obvious input and visual lag at times. You'd think that at launch the game wouldnt find any problem at pitting at people close to you,but it seems to fail at that.

In other words, if you play people from your region, it's ok. If you are playing with someone whos across the other side of the world, it ain't pretty.
This is not necessarily correct. I live in South America and I often have pretty good matches against people from Japan (given the usernames).

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
All of my matches have been laggy so far. It's clearly the game connecting me to anyone regardless of if their ping is in a reasonable level to me (50ms). I can tell these are 200ms ping matches, and it makes For Glory useless for me.

Thankfully there's r/smashconnect so I can avoid Nintendo's horrible matchmaking.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I have not experienced any lag, even though I´ve played 300 for glory matches. It´s a bit choppy every know and then. But for me it´s "a okey".
Yeah, I'll say. The lag, wholeheartly, is MILES better than brawl's wifi. Thank god. I've barely encountered any lag whenever I played for glory mode.

Can I also just say this game is amazing?

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Every For Glory match ive done about half of it i was dealing with input lag, even causing my guy to roll twice because my next command didnt go through yet (never had that issue before..). Oddly enough ive never had an issue with Friend battles unless my internet decides to shut off lol

People actually used Brawl's wifi? you couldnt even play a proper match on that due to fixated settings :p

Last edited:

Conda

Anyone have advice on how to reduce lag? The game in unplayable for me. I wish I could plug the darn 3ds into my modem via ethernet, hate wifi.

ybj

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-6639-8555
I rarely have lag less matches on For Glory, maybe 2/10 games I get little lag but other than that it's pretty bad :/

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
I seem to get choppiness when playing sometimes, but I don't believe it's on my end, but rather the other persons as it doesn't happen too often. It gets quite frustrating when it does though.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I honestly refuse to believe anyone that says they don't have lag. You might not have chopiness type of lag, but input lag is definitely there. There's always a few frames of lag like you tried to hook up your gamecube to an lcd screen. I have a really reallly fast connection too. I can't play tournaments that way.

Last edited:

Conda

I haven't encountered much lag, maybe 1 out of 10 games it gets bad.
We get it, but there is a huge amount of people experiencing unavoidable lag, I presume because Nintendo likes connecting us to people with 200ms ping to us.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
We get it, but there is a huge amount of people experiencing unavoidable lag, I presume because Nintendo likes connecting us to people with 200ms ping to us.
Actually, I retract my previous statement. Yesterday it was fine. Today when I hopped on it's been about 2 out of every 3 matches have had noticeable/bad lag.

Reila

I honestly refuse to believe anyone that says they don't have lag. You might not have chopiness type of lag, but input lag is definitely there. There's always a few frames of lag like you tried to hook up your gamecube to an lcd screen. I have a really reallly fast connection too. I can't play tournaments that way.
Good thing you refusing to believe doesn't change the fact I had plenty of awesome lagless matches. :p

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
For me it works well.
I only had lag with the 4 player matches but all the 1vs 1 where fine.

Conda

I'm actually quite livid and sad about this. The game is brawl-level unplayable for me.

Matthew "Demo" Rak

Bad at Smash
Slippi.gg
Demo#0
It's better than Brawl online which isn't saying anything.

As far as actual "lag" and "stuttering" go, overall it isn't horrible. What kills it for me is the input lag when you're playing online. It feels nothing like local. It feels like playing on an HDTV.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
For the most part, every For Glory match I've played has had little to no lag. Of course it had the occasional choppiness or few second freeze, but other than that they've been great connections.

Playing with my friend online as well had little to no lag, though he lives 10 minutes away from me so that may not contribute much to this discussion, lol.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I'm actually quite livid and sad about this. The game is brawl-level unplayable for me.
Same. I can't believe that it's my connection. No other online game lags like this. I play Dolphin netplay with my friends in the midwest with 80ms max between us. I have a friend in the Netherlands who gets ~110ms when doing peer-to-peer connections with me. The stuttering is just unbearable.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It depends really. I played with a friend in Japan and it was good save some input lag. I've had other matches that were bad, but most are pretty good. Leagues better than Brawl.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
When I'm in the same general area as my friend there has been very , VERY little times where there was any lag. Even the music was in sync. That's hard to do.

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
I booted up Smash, it lagged as hell. Looked it up, other poeple had the same problem. After 10 minutes all the probs were gone. I dunno.

Glare S

Smash Rookie
It does lag when you play online. It has caused me to lose a couple matches, which i was mad about.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
The shame you feel as a Captain Falcon knees you in slow motion due to lag stutters.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
All these people getting matched with good partners while I'm here wishing my FPS would go above 10 in a 1v1 For Glory match.

;n;

Someone test if I can play with friends laglessly; my FC is:4596-9639-1071
Oh really? Practically every game I've played feels like there's no lag present (1v1 or with friends). There's more than likely some very minor input lag, but it goes relatively unnoticed to me.

Spikes have rarely occurred, but the connection stabilizes after a short time.

Maybe you're just unlucky :p.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Oh really? Practically every game I've played feels like there's no lag present (1v1 or with friends). There's more than likely some very minor input lag, but it goes relatively unnoticed to me.

Spikes have rarely occurred, but the connection stabilizes after a short time.

Maybe you're just unlucky :p.
I hope it's that I'm just unlucky. Were it just input lag I'd have nothing to complain about. But nope, stutter stutter stutter. Maybe the game doesn't know how to match me with nearby folks.

Top Bottom