• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
The current ruleset also gives Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Pit as many ledge grabs as everybody else. Are there any complaints about planking Kirby or Jigglypuff players? If not, then it's hard to claim any sort of relation between number of jumps and ability to ledge-stall while minimizing ledge-grabs. You might be able to make half of a case on having multiple jumps AND the ability to glide, but that's still pretty shaky. Meanwhile, it also passes over characters that have been notable at ledge-stalling decently effectively - G&W and ROB.
Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. You have seen Will vs. Rich Brown haven't you? Put the LGL at 45 and take away 5 ledge grabs for each additional jump a character has after his second jump.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
So then kirby only gets like 20 lgs in an 8 minute match?

He's not mk and can't recover without that ledge very well his up b is his only vertical recovery and those last 2 jumps cover the distance of a single normal jump at best

Your basically screwing kirby because you have a problem with MK

:phone:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
So then kirby only gets like 20 lgs in an 8 minute match?

He's not mk and can't recover without that ledge very well his up b is his only vertical recovery and those last 2 jumps cover the distance of a single normal jump at best

Your basically screwing kirby because you have a problem with MK

He gets 25 ledge grabs. Also, how often do you think any player in any match is going to go over 20 ledge grabs especially players who main characters with multiple jumps?

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I do, since Kirby's recovery is strongly vertical. Hitting the ledge is the safest recovery, but stalling there is out of the question...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. You have seen Will vs. Rich Brown haven't you? Put the LGL at 45 and take away 5 ledge grabs for each additional jump a character has after his second jump.
So we get complaints about Donkey Kong, a character with two jumps and an Up+B that has relatively low vertical recovery potential?

Before Kirby and Jigglypuff?

And you're trying to use this AGAINST my case?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
So we get complaints about Donkey Kong, a character with two jumps and an Up+B that has relatively low vertical recovery potential?

Before Kirby and Jigglypuff?

And you're trying to use this AGAINST my case?
If a character with only one double jump can stall out on the ledge, it should be easier for a character with multiple jumps to do it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This must be why the two most known instances of ledge-stalling winning the game involve Meta Knight and Donkey Kong.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You mean how he did the correct method to stop planking and then decided to stop doing it.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You mean how he did the correct method to stop planking and then decided to stop doing it.
All I'm saying is that we have a LGL for a reason. Characters with multiple jumps can abuse the ledge grab limit by using all of their multiple jumps before re-grabbing the ledge. It is stupid to give characters a limit on ledge grabs that they are never going to exceed. You have to be trying to go over the current ledge grab limit in order to go over it.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
The only char who can SAFELY stall with his multiple jumps is MK all the others have downsides that make it not safe

Your way makes it worse for chars who's redeaming quality is that they have more jumps it doesn't take into account how weak they are offstage against an onstage opponent

Again kirby NEEDS that ledge he can't up b on stage because not only does that move have slow as hell lag it causes him to have (rlag?)

And in a planking match DK(2 jumps) destroys kirby (5 jumps)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Does Kirby really need more than 25 ledge grabs to safely get back on stage? I can post up videos of top level Kirbys winning/losing matches without exceeding 20 ledge grabs. which ones would you like to see?

Just because it happens once doesn't mean it'll happen every time.

Don't bother looking for videos, Kirby needs all the ledge grabs he can get.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Jebus, it doesn't matter how many jumps it takes for Kirby to recover, nor does it matter how many ledge grabs he needs in an average match because Kirby is not causing problems. We don't make rules when there is no reason to do so. Remember: discreet, enforceable, and warranted. The fact of the matter is that grabbing the ledge is not broken. It's just not. In and of itself, no character breaks the game by grabbing the ledge. No character, in high-level play, is unapproachable on the ledge...

...with one, singular exception. A global ledge grab limit is nice and politically correct, but it breaks the criterion of being warranted entirely, because no other character except MK causes problems on the ledge, regardless of how and when they throw out U-airs. How many jumps a character has is irrelevant, because that's not what causes a problem. Having a great U-air isn't even a problem.

The problem is having multiple jumps AND a great U-air, AND a super-gimpy D-air, AND a glide, AND an invincible recovery move, AND 3 emergency recovery moves, one of which transitions into a second glide. No other character has that range of options and abilities, and so no other character causes problems on the ledge that can't be dealt with in some reasonable manner.

Global ledge grab limits are unwarranted, scrubby, politically-motivated rules that have no place in competitive Smash.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Are we worried about Kirby planking or Jiggs planking? No, closest case people get is G&W when not talking about planking. And he had to be very linear to do it in which it's perfectly stoppable.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
A character that is on the ledge is as powerful as a character who is walk off camping. It's beatable, but the risk outweighs the reward. Every character needs a ledge grab limit

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So Zelda, Link, Lucario, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Ike, Snake, Ice Climbers, all need a LGL because they will plank their way to victory if they get the lead?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That DK did it because the Olimar stopped doing the method that did stop it.

Your also assuming all character are equal, this is a huge fallacy if you know how the cast changes from character to character.

Also tell me how Lucario planks people, if you know how they can you can share it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I found pretty ironical how Jebus wants to set an objective LGL, while everyone else either just disagrees or can't come up with something better.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The current ruleset also gives Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Pit as many ledge grabs as everybody else. Are there any complaints about planking Kirby or Jigglypuff players?
Jigglypuff's planking is so gay >.>
It really only screws over spacies though so it's not that bad lol.
A character that is on the ledge is as powerful as a character who is walk off camping. It's beatable, but the risk outweighs the reward. Every character needs a ledge grab limit
The risk of approaching a Diddy behind a banana outweighs the reward, ban that too?
Planking is strong, but I don't think it's as strong as walk off camping. (And if it is, the precedent would be to ban all stages with ledges. I mean we didn't create some limit to battle walk off camping, we banned the stages)
Are we worried about Kirby planking or Jiggs planking? No, closest case people get is G&W when not talking about planking. And he had to be very linear to do it in which it's perfectly stoppable.
Depends on the character really, planking screws over a lot of lower tiered characters, and doesn't take any effort to do. So is it really a skill we want to test?

The main fault with a LGL, and the reason I disagree with anyone but MK having one, is that characters are forced off the ledge when they're not planking, and simply trying to find an opening to get off, and as such they'll get punished when without a LGL they probably wouldn't have been (or not punished as hard anyway).
Anyone who plays DK will be able to tell you how hard it is to get back on-stage against many characters. When they can just sit on-stage and punish all your options to get back on-stage, with a LGL you have no choice but to put yourself in a bad situation.
Without a LGL, your opponent has to pressure you to get off the ledge, giving you more openings to get back on-stage (which is overall safer anyway, it's just getting there that's the problem)
Again, if a DK could do it, I don't see how they can't.
DK's very different to a lot of characters, it doesn't make any sense to say other characters can do what DK can do.

Anyway, having a LGL based on how many jumps you have is ridiculous,

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Diddy's banana disappears. That is not something that happens with a ledge. Why ban stages when you could add a ledge grab limit?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I found pretty ironical how Jebus wants to set an objective LGL, while everyone else either just disagrees or can't come up with something better.
How is it objective when there is absolutely no connection between number of jumps and observed planking ability? More people are accepting of the current LGL - did I just come up with something better by suggesting what's in place right now?

Cut the snide remarks and back up your proposals, instead of just claiming that **** can happen and banning it just in case. You don't see me carrying cans of elephant repellent spray everywhere I go.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Don't get me wrong, what I meant is that LGL is subjective per se, any number there is subjective, and he's trying to find a logic behind it and a solid number based on something concrete, like number of jumps or whatever, while most people just put a number based on how much they'd "think" it would be enough... and it might increase/decrease as tests gets done (because there's people testing this kind of stuff, right?)

lol that's a lot of edits!
I need to sleep....

FoxFireMage

Smash Apprentice
How about we limit the amount of ledge grabs with a certain amount of time? Something like 10 ledge grabs within 30 sec. We can come up with a punishment later

MechaWave

Smash Champion
It'd be too complicated for some. Why not just get rid of it altogether except Meta Knight's? Like someone said before: If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Meta Knight is broke.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
But Meta Knight is the only one who causes problems when he does grab the ledge.

Evidently DK can too.

My suggestion:

Characters that "can plank" but can only stall with it [they can't attack if the opponent keeps a distance] such as MK, DK, Marth, GW should have a lower limit
Characters that "can plank" and not just stall with it such as Samus, ROB, Yoshi, Pit should have a moderate limit
Every other character should have no limit at all

Note that [because I know some dumbtard will make the argument] that it's not an "artificial nerf" to some characters but to put a limitation on something that is nothing short of abusing a grey-area of the ruleset [because "planking" can't be objectively defined and doesn't match the explanation on "stalling" in the ruleset but still adds no options to a character *other* than to stall]. This needs to be limited and discouraged, regardless of character choice. If Will has made anything clear at Whobo it's that the LGL is not a character specific issue.

:059:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
It'd be too complicated for some. Why not just get rid of it altogether except Meta Knight's? Like someone said before: If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Meta Knight is broke.
If MK is broken, then why can't anyone just pick him up and win a national?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
...Because it's limited?

If there was no LGL, then bad players could do REALLY well with him just by knowing how to plank.

@Gheb: "Evidently DK can too."? What are you basing this on? ONE match where a DK timed out an Olimar who was hardly even trying to stop it?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If there was no LGL, then bad players could do REALLY well with him just by knowing how to plank.
Not if a better ruleset is in place.

@Gheb: "Evidently DK can too."? What are you basing this on? ONE match where a DK timed out an Olimar who was hardly even trying to stop it?
Do we really need to derail another national tournament with something *we've already seen to be broken* just to have more evidence for what everybody already knows?
DKs planking might be "beatable" in theory [but so is MKs, mind you] but the risk/reward is still drastically in DKs favor to an extent where it can easily be considered anti-competitive. Why do you draw the line right after MK? Because it fits your ******** pro-ban agenda better?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No, because without a ledge-grab limit, Meta Knight becomes stupidly broken.

I challenge someone to win a tournament with DK by abusing his planking. I don't seem to remember Will winning the tournament that he planked Rich Brown in, and wasn't his entire goal to show how broken planking is?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

I challenge someone to win a tournament with DK by abusing his planking. I don't seem to remember Will winning the tournament that he planked Rich Brown in, and wasn't his entire goal to show how broken planking is?
He made it further than he should have beating out someone he wouldn't have if there was a ledge grab limit.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not if a better ruleset is in place.

What MK has ever won a tourney via planking?

And yes, his entire goal seems to have been to show planking being broken. Planking. Not "MK-planking" or "Charatcer-XY-planking" but just the tactic of planking itself. Had he continued to actually plank against 4DHD in the same manner he did against R1ch Br0wn he would've beaten a player that he never beat before in tourney and that he never outplaced either, after already taking out a guy with it that can easily be called a threat at any [inter-]national tourney.
It's not a character specific problem, it's the tactic.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Yeah, and I'm sure he got further by using Giant Punch than he would've without using Giant Punch. That doesn't make Giant Punch broken.
This isn't some attack. This is a stalling tactic that every character has and can abuse. Sure you can stop it (you can even stop MK), but the risk outweighs the reward.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
@Gheb
M2K won Schools in Session via planking. Prove that Will would've beaten ADHD.

It's a legitimate tactic because it isn't broken. There is no reason to limit any more than there is a reason to limit forms of on-stage camping. The "this person placed higher than they should have" argument makes no sense, because you are assuming the standard is that the character cannot plank rather than the other way around.

I have very little evidence that Meta Knight's planking is broken. You have very little evidence that DK's is broken. So why don't we just not have a ledge-grab limit at all and see how that goes? Let me make it clear that I don't support an MK LGL either, but if he isn't banned, I think it is necessary to stop him from being broken.

@Jebus. Come back after you learn the definition of stalling.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
@Gheb
M2K won Schools in Session via planking. Prove that Will would've beaten ADHD.

It's a legitimate tactic because it isn't broken. There is no reason to limit any more than there is a reason to limit forms of on-stage camping. The "this person placed higher than they should have" argument makes no sense, because you are assuming the standard is that the character cannot plank rather than the other way around.

I have very little evidence that Meta Knight's planking is broken. You have very little evidence that DK's is broken. So why don't we just not have a ledge-grab limit at all and see how that goes? Let me make it clear that I don't support an MK LGL either, but if he isn't banned, I think it is necessary to stop him from being broken.

@Jebus. Come back after you learn the definition of stalling.
How much more experience does every other MK have with planking over a player like Will? It didn't seem like will knew what he was doing. He was just trying to get as many ledge grabs as possible

Top Bottom