• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Western society is very intolerant of mourning and sadness, and sympathy and empathy are generally not part of the cultural DNA.

That's just a sad fact.

We live in a world of emotional isolation, it sucks but rather than trying to "move on", you should work on the technique of grieving and dealing with great sadness without having others notice, otherwise you will just get nothing but insensitive and hypocritical remarks.

Y

Yodery

Western society is very intolerant of mourning and sadness, and sympathy and empathy are generally not part of the cultural DNA.

That's just a sad fact.

We live in a world of emotional isolation, it sucks but rather than trying to "move on", you should work on the technique of grieving and dealing with great sadness without having others notice, otherwise you will just get nothing but insensitive and hypocritical remarks.

I'll try that, thank you, and yes, I agree completely.

I'm just... so ****ing tired of putting on some bull**** happy act whenever I go to school, just to please others, you know? Not that I'm a generally depressed person, but like, you know what I mean... idk.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'll try that, thank you, and yes, I agree completely.

I'm just... so ****ing tired of putting on some bull**** happy act whenever I go to school, just to please others, you know? Not that I'm a generally depressed person, but like, you know what I mean... idk.
I wouldn't say you have to put on a happy façade, you just have to keep a lid on your grief in public to a large degree. The proverbial stiff upper lip.

It's a large part of why I play music, I can express anything I want quite intensely (in ways I couldn't put into words anyway) and not really have to place those emotions on others. That's the main reason really, most people feel that you're trying to burden them with feelings they'd rather not try to comprehend, sympathise with, or feel themselves.

It's also a good part of the reason why very happy/smiley people can also bother others, mainly because their overt displays of joy and general contentment can instill feelings of resentment and jealousy.

In any case if you can't play music, listen to some that might contain the complexity of emotion that express what you feel. You'd be surprised how well it can work. If you want you can add me on AIM for any sort of recommendations if you can't think of anything that fits that description.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium

In any case if you can't play music, listen to some that might contain the complexity of emotion that express what you feel. You'd be surprised how well it can work. If you want you can add me on AIM for any sort of recommendations if you can't think of anything that fits that description.
This so much. Music has a very unique way in which it can relieve your emotions. There have been a couple singers I have discovered during emotional/stressful times in my life that have really helped me through it. (namely Britt Nicole, when I was going through lot's of insecurities and self hate)

"Any time you feel alone put on your headphones"

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
My eyesight sucks balls. I'm gonna need glasses/corrective lenses real soon.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
@ Yondery: My advice is to just hang in there. Yes, people will tell you to move on, or get over it, but deal with the grief however you need to. Of course, like Masquerain said, you need to continue with your life as well. It sucks, and it can be very hard to do, but it actually does help with coping if you're continuing to better your life.

I lost my mom in August of last year to cancer. She passed away only 8 months after being diagnosed, and she was by far the person I was closest to since growing up, it was always just me and her living together, and I literally felt like every day my mom's health declined, that I was getting 1 step closer to the end of my life too. I couldn't even picture a life without my mom in it, but now over time, I've been coping with it and moving on with my life (I'm at the point where I'm just starting my life, so I've had no choice but to deal with my grief in ways that allow me to get other stuff done) and I can say that over time, it does get better. You won't ever "get over it", but it will be easier to deal with over time.

I wish you the best of luck, and I sympathize with you. Just know that things will get better.

:059:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
At least you have the luxury of correcting your vision.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You should feel bad for making that implication.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well you shouldn't if you're a c***, so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not to stick with that absurdly juvenile statement.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That whilst having bad eyes sucks, at least if your vision can be corrected artificially then it's not all terrible, since it's just an inconvenience and not a life altering disability.

You know, something like that.

Actually what I meant to say was at least they aren't gay, and yes it is a competition for the most miserable life, but I mean I would never consider competing for that because I'd have no chance.

And your mum is fat.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Teran, if i remember from previous posts, didnt you say you have macular degeneration or something similar?
That's pretty precise, I don't think I actually mentioned that specifically in here.

But yeah.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Now I feel creepy u _ u;;;
I remember you saying something of the like
I mightve just pieced it together. Grandma had it, so I guess I can piece together the signs n stuff? idk

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
No worries Oneupsalesman, this is nothing really to be sad over. ^^ It's just unfortunate for Teran to interpret that as me actually making fun of him, for whatever reason I'd do that to him.

Also Falcon, why the self-deprecation? It's been a while since anyone has bickered at you and got butt-hurt about things you've said, as far as I know.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
My first reaction is to think you're bull****ting, but then a part in me thinks and feels bad. Ellen Page is right, you're among friends.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I really miss my laptop and the notation software on it.

This hunk of junk backup of the backup is too crappy to run such a thing, so I'm probably going to have to buy manuscript paper and that **** takes so long to scribble in just the basic stuff.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Teran did you just interrupt me in the middle of a possibly fake moment?

Wow you really are making this into a competition.

I DON'T THINK WE CAN BE TAG TEAM PARTNERS ANYMORE.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well let me tell you somethin jabronijackdude, you've been holdin' me back long enough.

Yeah this is a competition, for the World Misery Championship, and I'm going to the main event to win it. *points at Jobbermania sign*

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well neither do I anymore.

Also if you want to beat Froggy, I can always just make your life worse for you.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Canned bread is like one of the worst forms of bread on the Earth, get outta my face.

AS FOR YOU, TERAN, I'LL SEE YOU AT JOBBERMANIA AFTER I TAKE DOWN WHITE MAGE FOR THE WORLD JOBBER WEIGHT TITLE.

I'M GONNA BE ALL THE CHAMPIONS.

I AM THE SWF CHAMPIONS.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Canned bread is like one of the worst forms of bread on the Earth, get outta my face.

AS FOR YOU, TERAN, I'LL SEE YOU AT JOBBERMANIA AFTER I TAKE DOWN WHITE MAGE FOR THE WORLD JOBBER WEIGHT TITLE.

I'M GONNA BE ALL THE CHAMPIONS.

I AM THE SWF CHAMPIONS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ak_7tTxZrk

Too lazy to cut a promo so will just roll a video/music package.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well **** that was disappointing, even if it was "possibly" going to be fake. People in our culture just love imperfection and pain, because like that makes things beautiful and interesting and other stuff I forget. This is your chance.

Top Bottom