• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Smash 4 Ruleset Poll RESULTS!

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
The amount of people who said they never attend tournaments...

Suddenly I care less about these results.

:093:
Well I mean what about 3DS tournaments that those people could've joined? I mean I know there's different stages and having to use the 3DS as a controler but same character engine so experience? I guess?

...............I don't know?.........

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I am.... I am talking about a Villager camping on the ledge spawning explosive balloons from under the stage nonstop with a tripping tree right in front of him....
I've seen this in practice in only one tournament and it was the most bs camping ever.
It didn't win the tournament because an opponent picked a Pikachu to Thunder Jolt him on the ledge as it was the only viable way to beat that camping as it was nearly impossible approach him or hit him with anything else.
Yes, let's all have to pick Pikachu every time someone pick a Villager with those two moves, that is totally better than just banning that combo and be over with it.

This strategy has been completely figured out in this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/comm...under-wave-followups-sonics-hammer-sd.396222/ made by @Jaxas

Overview
Fighting against a Villager attempting to camp the ledge with the Explosive Balloon Trip and Counter Tree customs may be difficult, but if you abuse some of Villager's other weaknesses, or the holes in the strategy, you can come out on top.

From our discussion, the most important thing to do while fighting this setup is to get the percent lead and force him to approach. (Luckily this is the same strategy that works on normal defensive Villagers, as his approach game isn't that strong.)

Dealing with the Strategy

• Get the Percent Lead and force Villager to approach
    • If Villager's strategy is to win by timeout, he has to be ahead in percent to do so. If you get the percent lead, he is then forced off the ledge, and you can punish his (far weaker) approach game.
    • You can gain the percent lead by using a number of strategies
      • Using a Disjointed/Invincible attack to hit Villager (without popping the balloons)
      • Using an arcing (Diddy's Peanuts, Yoshi's Eggs, Mario's Fireballs), angled (Sheik's Needles), or downwards (MegaMan's Dair, Sonic's Spring - this also pops 1 balloon, which can stop recovery!) projectile to hit Villager on the ledge
        • Watch out for Pocket, though!
      • Attack Villager from the weak spots in his camping: directly above and below him
        • the only thing that covers these spots well is his Uair and Dair turnips, but they're laggy and therefore punishable if you can bait them out
      • Ledge Trump Villager into a punish (Damage is all you really need)
  • Wait out the Trip Sapling, then punish Villager on the ledge
    • Once the trip tree is gone, Villager is either forced to come back onto the stage to re-plant the tree or leave a gaping hole in his defenses
      • If the Villager comes up to the stage, he's then vulnerable to attacks.
        • There is also a delay between the sapling being planted and the trip hitbox actually appearing, so you can punish this!
      • If the Villager doesn't come back to the stage to refresh the tree, he's then very vulnerable on the ledge.
        • For most characters, the easiest way to punish a vulnerable Villager on the ledge is Dsmash (release it as Villager grabs the ledge). The Dsmash should trade with a balloon (5%) and hit Villager (for more than 5%, hopefully), also likely stage-spiking him. While it is Villager (with Villager's recovery...), the stage-spike will kill much earlier than the balloons will.
          • Dsmash doesn't work for characters with high-hitting Dsmashes (Captain Falcon/Ganondorf, for example). Dairs generally work well as a substitute for this, however. Some character's Dtilts (like Captain Falcon) or angled-down Fsmashes (such as Wario) work for this too.
    • Ledge trumping becomes a much easier option once the sapling is gone, as well
  • Beat the strategy before it begins
    • Pick a stage where the strategy doesn't work, such as Delphino Plaza, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, Castle Siege, and even Halberd to a lesser extent. The idea is that if the ledges go away, he can't camp them.
  • Gimp Villager with a Windbox
    • Explosive Balloon Trip only grabs the ledge after the apex of the jump after the balloons are popped
    • This lets you take a kill incredibly easily, but only some characters have access to these types of moves.
Further Strategies
Also, there are a number of characters who can beat this strategy incredibly easily. This tactic does not require a character-switch by any means, however if you're a player of one of these characters it may be easier to deal with it with them.
Some suggested characters are :4pikachu:, :4bowserjr:, :4littlemac:,:4metaknight:,:4ness:,:4miigun:,:4zelda:,:4wiifit:,:4myfriends:,:4dk:,:4megaman:,:4samus:, :4mario:,:4drmario:, :4pit:and many more.
Oh, and apparently XXX2 :4greninja:: just stand at the ledge and mash Dspecial a lot. It's invincible and has a large explosion that also hits the ledge. See this post for more information.

Video References

Reference: Full Discussion
Starting Post -> Ending Post

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I am.... I am talking about a Villager camping on the ledge spawning explosive balloons from under the stage nonstop with a tripping tree right in front of him....
I've seen this in practice in only one tournament and it was the most bs camping ever.
It didn't win the tournament because an opponent picked a Pikachu to Thunder Jolt him on the ledge as it was the only viable way to beat that camping as it was nearly impossible approach him or hit him with anything else.
Yes, let's all have to pick Pikachu every time someone pick a Villager with those two moves, that is totally better than just banning that combo and be over with it.
We are talking about the same thing a EBT and TS Villager. You are also defeating your own point by saying that is broken and then pointing out that there is a viable strategy in Pikachu. If you are talking about Jtails then I know for a fact that was the first time he used Pikachu in tourney so he got a free win for adapting. Also in that same tournement @Jigglymaster or Dapuffster beat Villager with Mii Brawler.There are many ways to defeat this strategy I have a game plan as Ness to beat it so I will never lose to it. Here is @NinjaLink 's twitch http://www.twitch.tv/ninjalink/profile where he has in his past broadcasts show how this strategy can be beaten with every character. Also you didn't answer my question what have YOU done to adapt and come up with a counter play.
TL&DR: If easy to beat then don't ban it

Edit: :4greninja:'d by based TNT

Last edited:

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
This topic quickly became cancer, with the Coliseum, Luigi's mansion people, and Radical Larry, it's hilarious

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
Basically: it has a lot of ridiculous transformations.... just take a deep look at them.... the pillars one is the cutest.
No, I won't be talking the problems with every one of them.
I have never seen an example of pillars being abused by anyone or any character. All of walkoff transformations are solved by doing one thing: NOT GOING TO THE WALKOFF IF YOUR OPPONENT IS THERE! Seriously they are not permanent and if you die early then it is your fault.

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
This topic quickly became cancer, with the Coliseum, Luigi's mansion people, and Radical Larry, it's hilarious
Yeah Larry's always stirring up stuff, but debate is to be expected whenever rulesets are up for discussion. In fact I welcome disagreement as long as we respect each other.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Quoting Budget Player Cadet because he can say it better than me.
While it may have you need to know more about your character, the point that the stage simply makes gameplay completely different on the stage than any other stage in the game makes it ban worthy. Why is this the case?
Well: The stage breaks the pace of the game too much. The conveyor belts go towards the outside of the stage. Less traction makes it hard to both approach and punish your opponent. Low gravity keeps players from landing and can give players recoveries when they should have died.
I would be fine with playing ON this stage if gimmicks were not taking it over on 3/4ths of its transformations.

Though a tournament with only PS2 I wouldn't mind that much. It allows for a completely different meta.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Never thought Omega Pally's Temple was that popular....
It's the most FD omega. It's a platform with a ball at the bottom. Some people whine about the flashes in FD, so some TOs have a rule that Omega Palutena's can be substituted. The next closest is Omega Skyworld, which is pretty much the same but the ball has gone flat.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Lylat Cruise: Legal
Town and City: Legal
Smashville: Legal
Castle Seige: Legal
Coliseum: Banned
Halberd: Legal
Luigi's Mansion: Banned
Me: *starts going red with anger*

Let me tell you some things, okay?

Lylat Cruise is a stage with a very low blast zone and can catch anyone's recovery from underneath; it's a discount version of Brawl Final Destination, where one mistake, however minor it can be, in recovering, will catch you on the bottom of the stage.

Town and City suffers from the same thing that Wii Fit Studio has; it has platforms that can automatically kill you if you're unprepared. And even if you manage to escape, it allows your opponent to freely hit you because of that. Why do we have a legal stage that can automatically kill you, but not any run off stages? Tell me how the hell that makes sense.

Smashville...ugh, it's basically got the same thing that Town and City does. But ask yourselves this...when we have stages that have equal sides to them, why do we have a stage that allows the opponent to kill you at such a low damage at so close to the blast zone? And why have a stage that catches your impromptu attacks from above?

Castle Seige...okay, as if the second part being a run-off isn't bad enough, since we shouldn't have run-offs, right? Every time you're in the wrong spot during the transition, you get KO'd because it now transitions too fast.

Coliseum, so wait, we can have cheaper stages like Castle Seige, Smashville and Lylat Cruise, but not this stage? Still, doesn't...make...sense.

Halberd. Wait, so we can have this stage, which has hazards on it that benefit one character if they hit, but we can't have the other stages as well? Poor stage selection.

Luigi's Mansion. How does banning it even make any remote sense? It's not like there are hazards or run offs, or that it catches recoveries and stuff, but just...how the heck is that stage even banned? There's absolutely nothing wrong to it. "Competitive" logic I guess.

I did this all in the GamingSins style, but really, if you think long and hard about it, the stage legality makes almost no sense. At all.
About Luigi's mansion, I believe its banned solely because of all the caves of life, meaning people would live to hugely high %s

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Wuhu Island's transitions being random, enormous, one with hazards, other with walk-offs and people wanting Caste Siege to be banned.

really guys

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain why walk off stages are considered bad for competitive play? Is this something that was a problem in a previous smash game that just transitioned?

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
Well I think Custom Stages should be a possibility in competitive Smash in that it can replicate stages like PS in its neutral state.
I think as long as there is a reviewing party to look at stages and it legality it should be fine to include custom stages.
I completely agree with that. Neutral stages can be designed and if agreed to by TO's or most players it can add many more stages.

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
While it may have you need to know more about your character, the point that the stage simply makes gameplay completely different on the stage than any other stage in the game makes it ban worthy. Why is this the case?
Well: The stage breaks the pace of the game too much. The conveyor belts go towards the outside of the stage. Less traction makes it hard to both approach and punish your opponent. Low gravity keeps players from landing and can give players recoveries when they should have died.
I would be fine with playing ON this stage if gimmicks were not taking it over on 3/4ths of its transformations.

Though a tournament with only PS2 I wouldn't mind that much. It allows for a completely different meta.
How is different gameplay banworthy? It's GAMEPLAY. Adapting to different situations and knowledge of stages, characters, and strategys are staples of Smash. On PS2 the better player will always win the stage does not change the outcome itself the player's knowledge of the stage and their skill. Transformations only last for 30 seconds and most of the match is played on the glorious neutral stage. Also Ice and Wind promote air play and require a different mental approach whenever I gentleman people to this stage and Ice comes up I destroy them because I know how to move. PS2 to me is the greatest stage for testing a players ability to adapt and use the stage to their advantage one of the greatest things a Smasher can do.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
IMO customs have no place in a standard tournament, if there are customs allowed equipment should also be allowed in some sort of custom singles/doubles side event but not in a main event tourney

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Can someone explain why walk off stages are considered bad for competitive play? Is this something that was a problem in a previous smash game that just transitioned?
It's not as bad as in Brawl or Melee, where you could be chain thrown off the ledge, but walkoffs are still pretty bad. They promote camping and sometimes require the player to make a tech off ground they can't see or die from their opponent's dash attack.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
So you're saying that because a few characters don't have custom moves that everyone else shouldn't be able to use theirs. I would much rather keep my customs and let the DLC characters develop without customs. They aren't erased from the game by not having them. Also Mewtwo doesn't really need customs all of his current moves are useful.
Yeah that's totally what I said. You can tell by the fact that I said I am "generally in favor of customs."

It was just a point I brought up. Not to mention your perspective is that of a player of a non-DLC character, so naturally you'd disagree.

As for Mewtwo not needing customs, I completely agree. But does anyone really need customs? Now while some characters are obviously worse than others, every single character in Smash 4 is highly playable without. I'm still in favor of customs though because of the reverse of that fact. It makes weaker characters (like DK and Marth) have more rewarding options.

Last edited:

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
IMO customs have no place in a standard tournament, if there are customs allowed equipment should also be allowed in some sort of custom singles/doubles side event but not in a main event tourney
The problem with equipment is that there is no way for every one to have the same sets. It would be a logistical nightmare and no one would be able to even agree on standard sets for each character. And coupling it with custom moves would also be nearly impossible to agree on. Please give reasons for your opinion or it means nothing.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Yeah any new game is to be judged on whether mostly old players play it...if it's mostly old players then it's a good game, and if there are new players it must be a showing that the game is bad and should be ridiculed.
Love your sarcasm here! Gold, baby.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I think Pilotwings, Kongo Jungle 64, Colisuem, Pokemon Stadium 2, Wii Fit Studio & Windy Hill Zone should all be legal. but that's my own opinion.
Pilotwings is a little iffy, but I'm highly in favor of Wuhu Island. The planes I think promote to much camping and defensive play not only on the lower level, but also because of the divider between the two wings.

Also, recovering while the planes are switching is a pain. More so imo than other travelling stages. Wuhu is a little easier with this. I also love how long the main bottom platform is, but that's just me.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
So glad my TGC series and Houston have been doing 3 stocks since day one. This prove (yet again) that i am literally a genius.

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
Yeah that's totally what I said. You can tell by the fact that I said I am "generally in favor of customs."

It was just a point I brought up. Not to mention your perspective is that of a player of a non-DLC character, so naturally you'd disagree.

As for Mewtwo not needing customs, I completely agree. But does anyone really need customs? Now while some characters are obviously worse than others, every single character in Smash 4 is highly playable without. I'm still in favor of customs though because of the reverse of that fact. It makes weaker characters (like DK and Marth) have more rewarding options.
Woah man don't make generalizations like that I wholeheartedly think that Mewtwo not having customs is stupid and that it's unfair to him. But it's also equally unfair to all the other characters with customs to be unable to use theirs. The way you worded your post made it sound like all characters should be brought down to Mewtwos level. I agree with your other points though.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
The problem with equipment is that there is no way for every one to have the same sets. It would be a logistical nightmare and no one would be able to even agree on standard sets for each character. And coupling it with custom moves would also be nearly impossible to agree on. Please give reasons for your opinion or it means nothing.
I just don't think custom move sets should be a thing in standard Smash 4 tourneys if you're going to allow custom moves I say allow all customization in some sort of side "for fun" kind of event as someone else mentioned before if the current status of Mewtwo customs is an indication of more DLC characters following and not having custom moves it would be kind of disappointing for anyone who plays any DLC character to not have any options for custom move sets in a tournament that allows custom moves for everyone else. Also, I just decided to share my opinion, my opinion may differ from yours on the legality of customs and it may mean nothing to you and in turn your opinion may mean nothing to me everyone is entitled to their own opinion

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
So glad my TGC series and Houston have been doing 3 stocks since day one. This prove (yet again) that i am literally a genius.
lol Xyro. Btw I haven't thanked you for all the work you do on Samus's meta game. I learned a lot from you back when I mained Samus. But I dropped her for Ness because I just couldn't click with her and Ness is also better. Keep up the good work and the attitude!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
lol Xyro. Btw I haven't thanked you for all the work you do on Samus's meta game. I learned a lot from you back when I mained Samus. But I dropped her for Ness because I just couldn't click with her and Ness is also better. Keep up the good work and the attitude!
You are very welcome and i do not blame you at all for dropping Samus for a much better character. When lucas comes out, i may be switching too. I love her to death and i do pretty well with her but Smash 4 is so cut and dry that there is very little hope of her climbing the ladder.

edit: tell your local TO to do 3 stocks no customs and thank me later

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
I just don't think custom move sets should be a thing in standard Smash 4 tourneys if you're going to allow custom moves I say allow all customization in some sort of side "for fun" kind of event as someone else mentioned before if the current status of Mewtwo customs is an indication of more DLC characters following and not having custom moves it would be kind of disappointing for anyone who plays any DLC character to not have any options for custom move sets in a tournament that allows custom moves for everyone else. Also, I just decided to share my opinion, my opinion may differ from yours on the legality of customs and it may mean nothing to you and in turn your opinion may mean nothing to me everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Yeah man to each his own I can respect that attitude. I don't view custom moves as 'a fun side event' but as playing my character to their maximum potential. I participated in an online customs off tourney a few weeks ago and the whole time I was thinking "Wow if only I had this move I could do X or X and play better. But that's just my opinion. :p

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
You are very welcome and i do not blame you at all for dropping Samus for a much better character. When lucas comes out, i may be switching too. I love her to death and i do pretty well with her but Smash 4 is so cut and dry that there is very little hope of her climbing the ladder.

edit: tell your local TO to do 3 stocks no customs and thank me later
Yeah I've mentioned it but people act like they're allergic to change.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
The people saying Stadium 2 should be legal :facepalm:.

Most of the sections make this stage unplayable in tournaments. Ice physics, treadmills, wind, etc.
The transformations are brief, and only two of them are legitimately bad (Electric & Ice). The stage isn't ideal, but it's acceptable as a counter-pick; ultimately, you just have to momentarily adapt.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player

I don't get this argument. "Breaks the pace of the game too much"? Two minutes of what basically everyone agrees is neutral, followed by 30 seconds which might break up the neutral somewhat. Compare that to PS1 in Melee and Brawl, or Wuhu Island, and it's really quite tame, plus the electric segment allows for thoroughly interesting counterplay. There's nothing banworthy about gimmicks that aren't degenerate. There's nothing broken about breaking up the fight temporarily. Lots of stages do that. So it's different. So is every stage in the game. That doesn't make it banworthy.

Also, thanks to Radical Larry for the most hilarious post in the entire thread. Dude, you are the best troll I have seen in forever. Stay classy. :laugh:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
To those of you refuting Luigi's Mansion legality because of high % survivability & caves of life, just break down the pillars to force the other player to come out or let them turtle then punish them hard. They can run, but they can't hide. If this stage stretches out percentages for too long, TOs could institute a timelock midway to the scheduled end of the bracket to make tourneys finish quicker.

I've always wondered why Pilotwings hasn't been legal a while after the game came out, to my recollection. It always seemed very Halbred-esque, where the ledge-wide hazards are telegraphed and memorizing the path of the stage makes the seesawing platform easier to predict and adapt to. The 2nd plane really cripples projectile-based characters such as Robin, Villager, Pac-Man, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom