• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Twilight Series by Stephanie meyer

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I really hate this series. Biggest blind-conformist fad in the ****ing world right now.

These books have been out for what... a couple years now? Give or take a few, no one read them until suddenly a movie was being made. Agh... pisses me off.
Yes, and on top of that, they were RE-READING the Frickin book!, because they "needed to remember what was in it." HORRIBLE memories these girls have, because you didn't see a single guy wanting to re-read the book did you? Also so many girls only went to see the movie because they thought it was good, the movie almost burns my eyes, and they say "...OMG THAT WAS THE BEST MVIE EVER!!!"

Darkslash

Smash Master
Twilight makes Call of duty 3 look like one of the best games in the Series.

The premise of the book, though, is based around the idea that vampires can be attractive to women. This fails when women realize that her vampire boyfriend would want to eat her our while she's on her period, because it'd be like a feast for him
True. Plus Twilight makes the whole Vampire thing all wrong. They can't go into sunlight becuase they sparkle like diamonds. They can't have immortal baby sues becuase its the #1 sin. I mean common, what has the world gone to?!?!??!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What does "sues" mean? I have never heard that word used in any way like that ever.

Vampyric lore is a bit undecided if they definitely can or can't go out in sunlight. Look at Blade and even Dracula at times. It's one of those "It depends," deals. For all intents and purposes though, yeah, can't go in sunlight.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
To elaborate on what CK said, the whole mythology about vampires is subjective; since they're not real and just figments of someone's imagination. Who's to say that vampires can't go out in sunlight? Anne Rice? Everyone realizes these are her interpretation of them. I'm just pulling out a name; if her vampires actually go out in sunlight, just replace the name with someone else, I haven't read any vampire books. But, there's no law that says that if you have vampires they can't go in sunlight, they have to depend on human blood, or even that they can fly. Literary writers are free to intepret these characters as they please; there's no intellectual copyright on them.

Besides, if you read the fan fiction here, I don't see very many people arguing over the fact that Mario would cuss or that Link lives with Zelda.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
To elaborate on what CK said, the whole mythology about vampires is subjective; since they're not real and just figments of someone's imagination. Who's to say that vampires can't go out in sunlight? Anne Rice? Everyone realizes these are her interpretation of them. I'm just pulling out a name; if her vampires actually go out in sunlight, just replace the name with someone else, I haven't read any vampire books. But, there's no law that says that if you have vampires they can't go in sunlight, they have to depend on human blood, or even that they can fly. Literary writers are free to intepret these characters as they please; there's no intellectual copyright on them.

Besides, if you read the fan fiction here, I don't see very many people arguing over the fact that Mario would cuss or that Link lives with Zelda.
But the point is that Meyer should have had a better reason for creating her vampires the way she did. Just because she's allowed to take liberties doesn't mean she necessarily should.

There's a basic understanding that the reason vampires can't go out in sunlight is because they'd burst into flames. If Stephanie Meyer wanted her version of a vampire to differ from this, she should have made it worth the change. Making Edward sparkle just for the sake of sparkling is all kinds of ********.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
My god, Twilight is like a plague affecting every girl (and a few guys) in my school.
I get straight up harassed over this book.
"omg read twilight its a good book pls pls pls pls twiliiiigght promise me youll read twilight if you dont read twilight ill be sad and ill have to read it to you pls pls psl spls pls oh yeah and twilight ITS GOOD FOR THE SOULLLL"

But never, I shall continue my mission to not read Twilight.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
We know this. Most people who dislike the book don't get mad at it for trying to reinvent the vampire, we get mad at it because Stephanie Meyer can't write.

And to summarize what the two sue-related links were saying, a sue is an overpowered character in a book, usually taking a lot of traits from the author/authoress themself.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
To elaborate on what CK said, the whole mythology about vampires is subjective; since they're not real and just figments of someone's imagination. Who's to say that vampires can't go out in sunlight? Anne Rice? Everyone realizes these are her interpretation of them. I'm just pulling out a name; if her vampires actually go out in sunlight, just replace the name with someone else, I haven't read any vampire books. But, there's no law that says that if you have vampires they can't go in sunlight, they have to depend on human blood, or even that they can fly. Literary writers are free to interpret these characters as they please; there's no intellectual copyright on them.

Vampires not being able to come out into the sun came mostly from the british, and the most accepted mythology about vampires is that they came out of their graves AT NIGHT (reason for them not liking the sun), the lack of sun is what kept them pale. And they became bloated and full of blood which is why they are depicted with blood dripping from their mouths, but that's a natural process of gasses expanding (bloating) and pushing blood out. They were also mischievous and caused havoc in the place of residence of their loved ones and or where they used to live. So really almost every vampire-if not EVERY-book, even Dracula is a different version of these myths.

She didn't really invent her vampires, from an interview I read, she supposedly came up with the story and idea for this book in a dream.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Vampires ARE supposed to be sexy. The vampire story is about eroticism, sexuality, and sensuality.
I'm pretty sure there's a throwaway quote about this in the book. Something to the effect of "Everything about me draws you to me. My face, my smell," etc. They used it in the movie. But yeah, I understand what you're saying.

*EDIT*

hemightbegiant said:
Also for Vampires that can go out in the sun, read "I Am Legend." Probably the best example.
I thought the vampire from I Am Legend (the original story) couldn't go out in sunlight? I was under the impression that they were subject to the "usual" vampire tropes? I've never read the story, but I thought that the main character went around during the day, killing them in their coffins while they slept.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
as far as I know from I am Legend, the person the "vampires" chose to 'stock' the main character, was still immune to the sunlight because she wasn't fully infected, but all the others were completely infected so they stayed out of the sun.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I thought the vampire from I Am Legend (the original story) couldn't go out in sunlight? I was under the impression that they were subject to the "usual" vampire tropes? I've never read the story, but I thought that the main character went around during the day, killing them in their coffins while they slept.
He does that, but later versions of vampires develop some kind of immunity and revert basically back to "human-like" vampires. Unless you read, it's hard to explain. >_>

Darkslash

Smash Master
Okay in English today 3/4ths of the class where reading Twilight and its sequels. Then when we where assigned our Project some people asked if they could use a novel instead

I actually said to my class
"Let me guess. is it twilight?"
Imagine the surprise when they all said yes.

Plus I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover but look at them. The pictures have no relationship to the title. What does a Apple have to do with Twilight. What does a Red and White rose have to do with the New moon, and what the hell does chess have to do with a Breaking Dawn? IT MAKES NO SENSE LIKE THE BOOK AND ITS FANS.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Plus I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover but look at them. The pictures have no relationship to the title. What does a Apple have to do with Twilight. What does a Red and White rose have to do with the New moon, and what the hell does chess have to do with a Breaking Dawn? IT MAKES NO SENSE LIKE THE BOOK AND ITS FANS.
I don't know about the rest of the books, but I think Twilight's cover makes perfect sense. It's the whole forbidden fruit thing.

EDIT: Wait, I totally just realized I misread your post. My bad. Though I think the real issue there is that the titles themselves are just arbitrary to begin with, not that they don't match the pictures on their respective covers. Twilight's cover fits Twilight's storyline, but not the name Twilight. So it's really the title that's the problem, if anything.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Haven't read it. Considered it until I learned Edward was a Vegetarian Vampire. Which combined my hatred of Vampires, and Vegetarians together. And not just any vegetarian, I have no problem with them I have problems with Vegetarians that try to make ME a vegetarian which I find rather ridiculous.

Anyway Vegetarian Vampire made no sense to me so I decided to not even look at the book. Of course that doesn't help me avoid the raving mad fans of the (highly overrated) book who seem to think if your opinion isn't Pro-twilight it isn't worth hearing.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Out of boredom, I went through chapter one and decided to highlight all the adjectives, adverbs, and weak verbs to use as examples of bad writing. One sentence sticks out like a sore thumb (it scarred me so badly, I am quoting it from memory):

"Charlie gave me an awkward, one-armed hug when I stumbled my way off the plane."

That sentence is good to convey their obviously harsh relationship, but the focus is on Charlie instead of the act he is doing, the hug. I revised it to say:

"After I stumbled off the plane, Charlie hugged me in his awkward, one-armed way."

Good readers' minds are trained to glance over the introductory phrase "after..." and focus on the actual main clause with Charlie. Charlie is still doing the action, but the action is hugged and then we see how he hugged her. Also, I changed it to "his" to characterize Charlie as ALWAYS giving her awkward, one-armed hugs to symbolism his lack of commitment to their relationship.

This is just one example that shows she can write, but her editor could not edit. That first sentence is a good rough draft sentence, but really shows a very lazy editing process that it got through to the final, published draft.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Definitely written for females. I've never read the book, but to be honest, it looks stupid.

Someone told me that Stephanie portrays high school as something completely different than what it really is.

A good friend was dragged to the movie by his girlfriend. Don't know what he thought of it.

EDIT: He thought it was good. What?

urdailywater

Smash Hero
This book is advertised all over my school.
The posters for it look gothic and just disgusting.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, there are 3 more movies that are definitely going to happen. As long as these pieces of **** keep making money, it won't end, movie-wise, which keeps fans interested.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
sadly it is true, the only pro to these right now, is that Midnight Sun (twilight from Edward's view) actually seems better than Twilight itself, so really there are 7 more movies, so be prepared for 7 years of bad movies.

RDK

Smash Hero
This is ********. Good literature sits on the shelf and gets dusty year after year while random Joe Blows pump out steaming piles of **** like this every so often and people flock to it.

It's like the free market is on crack. Good products should garner success, not the other way around.

Groovy Kong

Smash Cadet
This is ********. Good literature sits on the shelf and gets dusty year after year while random Joe Blows pump out steaming piles of **** like this every so often and people flock to it.

It's like the free market is on crack. Good products should garner success, not the other way around.
I'm glad we're on the same page here.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
sadly it is true, the only pro to these right now, is that Midnight Sun (twilight from Edward's view) actually seems better than Twilight itself, so really there are 7 more movies, so be prepared for 7 years of bad movies.
I don't see them making Midnight Sun (or any of it's possible sequels) into a movie. It's the same exact story as Twilight. Unless there's a significant amount of Edward-only sequences, there's no way they could justify re-releasing Twilight under a different title.

Though I have heard that Edward leaves for a while in New Moon. So Edward's version of that book may have some big differences.

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
You know, I admit, I was heavily baised towards the book. I was baised because of how bad I heard the writing was, so I read the first two paragraphs...

"My mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down. It was seventy-five degrees in Phoenix, the sky a perfect, cloudless blue. I was wearing my favorite shirt--sleeveless, white eyelit lace; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture. My carry-on item was a parka."

"In the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington State, a small town named Forks exists under a near-constantcover of clouds. It rains on this inconsequential..."

And then I just stopped reading right there. I just kinda wondered "just what kind of teenager describes her own town as 'inconsequential'? That didn't make sense to me! I might've read more, but like I said, I was baised, so I didn't.

Also, what exactly did she mean by a "perfect" cloudless blue? That's also another thing I noticed.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
"My mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down. It was seventy-five degrees in Phoenix; the sky was a cloudless blue. I was wearing my favorite shirt--white eyelit lace; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture. My carry-on item was a parka."

"In the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington State, a small town named Forks exists under a near-constant cover of clouds. It rains like [a creative simile for sadness."

Seriously, it isn't hard to fix this book, just someone was too lazy to do so.

RDK

Smash Hero
The point is that it shouldn't have garnered thousands of fans. The book would be garbage even if you went in and fixed all the little grammar and wording nuances.

Top Bottom