• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tunes Bi-Weeklies: LAZERS PEW PEW -SATURDAY JULY 12TH MELEE!

Should i turn this into a Biweekly?

• Yes

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
NJ needs to stop living the past and move on. Older versions of games DO NOT STAY AS THE MAIN GAME IN TOURNIES. You guys need to understand that. SC2 was killed by SC3 despite SC2 being considered better by most people. It's what happens. The Smash community just hasn't experienced such a thing yet due to not playing other games.

I'm sure Emblem Lord would at least understand this.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
NJ needs to stop living the past and move on. Older versions of games DO NOT STAY AS THE MAIN GAME IN TOURNIES. You guys need to understand that. SC2 was killed by SC3 despite SC2 being considered better by most people. It's what happens. The Smash community just hasn't experienced such a thing yet due to not playing other games.

How come? Even if eventually brawl is going to take over the majority of the smash community, it doesnt mean it has to ASAP. If people still practice melee, enjoy melee, and are willing to participate in melee tounrny, than why not? There is no written rule stating that a pervious game cant be played, even in the shadow of a newer one. Honestly, melee is so much different than brawl it wouldnt surpirse me if they were simply separate communities. We all know what the better game is,, play brawl if you want, but there is no reason to attempt to hasten the retirement of melee.

JFox

Smash Hero

Who cares?! This isn't your ****in' job, this is a video game. Are you going to tourneys to make money?

If I don't enjoy a game, why the **** should I play it? Cuz its most popular? I don't care what anyone thinks, I don't ****in' like the game.

As long as I like the game, I'm gonna keep right on playin. And ya know what, you're right. The tournament scene will decrease, it already has. They might even completely cease to exist, and I still won't go to brawl tourneys. They suck, the game sucks.

See the difference is that some people like winning, people like you who just do the cheapest **** to win, just cuz you like winning. People like brandon who switched to metaknight just to win win win, make ****in' money, buy that slice of pizza. And thats fine, all you care about is winning, cuz thats all you enjoy.

But see I, and many people that have stuck to playing melee, are playing melee cuz its fun. These are the people that have payed 20 bucks in every tourney knowing they have no chance. People like cactuar who mess around with the secondaries cuz its more fun than just winning everything.

Now who the **** are you to tell me to stop playing something I enjoy? Shut the Fawk you!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Melee and Brawl aren't different enough that two communities will be formed. They've got a lot more in common than people give credit for. Honestly, lots of stuff broken about Melee was fixed. Low percent gimps being easy, chaingrabbing, horrendous counter matches, Fox and Falco's l-cancel to shine garbage, etc. Ganondorf vs MetaKnight is perhaps the worst match in the entire game, and I think it's just 60/40 because of how balanced the game is. Sheik vs Bowser in Melee was 80/20 at best for Bowser, which is horrible and basically unwinnable.

I'm not trying to hasten Melee's death, but I'm getting the impression that people think Melee will stick around as a main game. Majors won't have Melee. They will have Brawl. MLG and EVO won't care about Melee, and neither will anime conventions or any other venues that will host majors.

That's reality, and some people in NJ don't seem to get it. It's because this is the first time this community had a new version come out and Melee lasted over half a decade. With games like SC and GG, new versions come out faster, so they experienced it multiple times. It's how it works.

Edit @ JFox: I'm not telling you to stop playing Melee. I'm just telling you that Brawl will overshadow it and that nothing can be done about it. Some people, such as yourself, seem to think otherwise.

JFox

Smash Hero
See you are the one that doesn't seem to get it. We don't care what the majors are doing, we just wanna play melee cuz we like it. LOL.

And as long as people enjoy the game, we will have our small tourneys. And melee is so good that as long as we have 10 people from each state still playing, those 10 people will make a 70 person tourney somewhere.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman

If Emblem lord understands the fighting game community as much as you think he does, then he will also understand why people are keeping melee ran at tournies. look at games like UMK3, XvSF, etc. beleive it or not, tournies are ran for those games frequently, sure, the BIG tournies dont run those games, but the fanbase is still apparent, and small tournies are still ran for them. same goes for MvC1, i still see online tournies for that game all the time. yes the newer game always takes lead and has tournies held for it more often and is also held at bigger tournies, but that doesnt mean, the older game is auto destroyed, tournies will still and always be ran for melee, if there are a group of people that enjoy melee, they will make it happen.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Melee and Brawl aren't different enough that two communities will be formed. They've got a lot more in common than people give credit for. Honestly, lots of stuff broken about Melee was fixed. Low percent gimps being easy, chaingrabbing, horrendous counter matches, Fox and Falco's l-cancel to shine garbage, etc. Ganondorf vs MetaKnight is perhaps the worst match in the entire game, and I think it's just 60/40 because of how balanced the game is. Sheik vs Bowser in Melee was 80/20 at best for Bowser, which is horrible and basically unwinnable.
LOL shut up :laugh:. There is NOTHING REMOTELY similar to melee Falco in Brawl. NOTHING. There is NOTHING that even comes close to that. NOBODY plays like melee Falcon. When ENTIRE ways to play the game are COMPLETELY removed, you can't possibly say that Melee and Brawl have a lot more in common than people give credit for.

Low percent gimps being easy? You have to guess what your opponent is going to do, and if you guess wrong you could potentially eat a death combo. Hey guess what? If I guess that my opponent is going to trip, I can charge fsmash right in front of their shield and win the match(which btw, I HAVE done before ;)).

There's still chaingrabbing in Brawl, and Dedede can do it forever <_<.

How DARE you call Fox and Falco's L-cancel to shine garbage? G-T-F-O. There are a number of ways to work around that. Shieldgrab the shine, wavedash out of shield to fsmash, SH nair out of shield, other stuff I'm too lazy to list. Yes, you have to actually have to have existent tech skill to do any of those. If you practice, you can get to the level of tech skill where you can do any of those with a good degree of success. This is something good about melee. The game rewards you for putting time into it.

There are TERRIBLE matchups in Brawl as well. Meta Knight vs Captain Falcon for example. In fact, Meta Knight ***** the majority of the characters in the game with just the whornado.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Kashif and I have differing opinions. What a surprise. :lol:

Falco still has the same back air, down smash, up smash, forward tilt, and down air. That's pretty similar. Forward B got better. They made him a newer character instead of a clone. That's cool, imo. You're not even looking for similarities at all.

Cheezit

Smash Ace
INUI Get out your gonna cause another Big uproar Brawl v melee So either shut up about the discretions or don't post here There will be brawl brawl tournys in the future hosted by me but for the moment this is melee and yes singles and doubles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
EVO has smashballs on, MLG isn't even 100% sure to have it, anime conventions are small as ****, who cares if the majority of people like Melee so play Melee. Melee isn't a step to the past we just got this game 6 years in the future, the timelines messed up and Brawl was supposed to be released when Melee was and vice versa, you can tell by the depth of the gameplay. Super Smash Bros. Brawl should be called Super Smash Bros. Shield-Camping cuz that's the most dominant, skilless strategy to do to win, and that SUCKS cuz it takes no practice at all and everyones on almost even terms. For the better players, the more luck involved and the more simple the gameplay the worse, especially in 3 stock matches, anything unlucky can happen and if you're me you realize how much bull**** that is for tourney play, so we can play melee as much as possible at tourneys.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Kashif and I have differing opinions. What a surprise. :lol:

Falco still has the same back air, down smash, up smash, forward tilt, and down air. That's pretty similar. Forward B got better. They made him a newer character instead of a clone. That's cool, imo. You're not even looking for similarities at all.
Wow you moron. Falco's bair is better in melee. In fact, all of those moves are all significantly better in melee. His dair actually SPIKES in melee and can be comboed into. Don't even TRY to insinuate that Brawl Falco plays remotely similar to the way he used to in Melee.

pockyD

Smash Legend
wow, if brawl is really good enough to replace melee, it will happen naturally

you don't tell someone or even convince them what they should play or what the community should do - if brawl is a better game, then its tournaments will be more successful, melee tournaments will decline heavily in popularity, and the melee players will probably switch over at that point... no one needs to be told what to do, it will happen naturally

Oorah-Kabra

Smash Journeyman
::clears throat:: YEH-HE-HEAAAAAAA FAWKIN MELEE TOURNEY BABY!!

I'm at this son!! ::hugs Cheezit:: Thank you buddy.

Come on... who else is at this shizzit? or... CHEEZIT!? (Yeah, I went there with that corn joke)

Eggm

Smash Hero
m2k had a point. Anime conventions like otakon have crappy tourneys who caers what they run? And EVO did best of 1 and other dumb rules. And MLG isn't sure about brawl yet like he said. Also theres tons of melee fans pulling for another Fc, and there is going to be a pound 4 for melee. Plus the majority of the people in our immediate area nj/pa like melee better, if its dying please tell me how. THIS month every weekend theres a melee tourney (chu's biweekly tomorrow) (then pittsburgh) (then cheezits) (then SPOC) if everything goes according to plan, that seems like a pretty **** dead game to me lol, you idiot.

THAT COMBO IN MAGUS'S SIG IS AMAZING. Lmao, melee's awesome.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Eww, Pound 4 for Melee wtf, lol! I don't think I would be encoraged enough to come to this tourney as it's a tourney in a game I don't play at all unless for fun nowadays. If I get the energy to practice for a couple hours the day before I'll be there.

I honestly don't believe it should only be Melee though. Half the people who say Melee is better whateverwise are playing Brawl more anyway. I can at least say that the turnout for this Melee tourney in particulary will be nice :D

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Brawl just came out. It hasn't been out long enough to suffocate Melee. It will eventually...it's just what happens.

I want to come to this, even if it's just Melee. I miss being able to use Ganondorf and win.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'm sure alukard/jman/hax/djnintendo are very interested. I'll inform them this is going on. Scar, talk to wife. :)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
GOOD WORK CHEEZIT. See you there. Melee tournies are determined by skill!
Stop being so ignorant. It's really ugly.

Melee has tons of broken crap, as well as horrible counters and luck-based things, that can make it determined by luck.

Granted, Melee has been out much longer, and thus is a well-established game with an established high level of play, while Brawl is new and people are still learning it and discovering the metagame, etc.

Please grasp that concept. Smashers in general can't because they, for the most part, only play one game competitively and that one game lasted forever.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Luck based things in melee?

I don't ever remember tripping on the floor in front of my opponent, then eating a forward smash because of it.

You'd have to enlighten us, Mr. Person who seems to know so well.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
You're the one being ignorant.

Melee has tons of broken crap, as well as horrible counters and luck-based things, that can make it determined by luck.
Well, I warned you but it seems you didn't listen. I'm not teaming with you at the next Rutgers weekly. Spout more biased, inaccurate information about melee and it'll be even longer until you team with me.

Granted, Melee has been out much longer, and thus is a well-established game with an established high level of play, while Brawl is new and people are still learning it and discovering the metagame, etc.
Unless playing 1000000 hours in Brawl unlocks an option to turn tripping off, Brawl will ALWAYS be more luck based than melee. At least in melee, you KNOW you deserve to be punished if you make a bad judgment or a mistake. I don't deserve to be punished for trying to move.

R1 vs Yes' Snake I tripped into a slightly charged fsmash at 30 and died, and I SDed on my last stock. Granted, it's my fault I SDed, but he was at last stock 100 something at the end of that match. If I didn't trip into that stupid fsmash, I probably would have won the match. R3 vs Yes' Wolf, I tripped into dsmash at like 90-100 and died. I have entered Brawl singles three times in my life and bs like that has happened. I have entered Melee singles idk how many times and played Melee friendlies a billion times more and NEVER has ANYTHING that stupid happened to me.

Cheezit

Smash Ace
Im tired of this Brawl v Melee Debate last time i swear i see anything about here again im reporting it to a Mod i have asked nicely 4-5 times. This IS A MELEE TOURNAMENT DON"T LIKE IT DON"T COME!!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
teh_spamerer said:
Well, I warned you but it seems you didn't listen. I'm not teaming with you at the next Rutgers weekly. Spout more biased, inaccurate information about melee and it'll be even longer until you team with me.
OOOHHH SHNIZISNAPPPSS!! Hey, maybe we can try something and team for the next RU weekly. If we don't get first I'll give you 3 pieces of chicken wings "I don't have legs".

Scar

#HarveyDent
If everyone else is going then I guess I have to go.

Edit: I just saw this

Please grasp that concept. Smashers in general can't because they, for the most part, only play one game competitively and that one game lasted forever.
lol @ this came from after I said "Melee tournies are too good!" I'm glad we're over it, Kashif actually just came in and shut down... where did that come from btw?

The metagame in Brawl isn't going to change, man. I don't understand how you can still say that, it hasn't changed from its release. If it was continually evolving then yes, we say that we have no idea. But it's moving at snail's pace and hasn't changed significantly from "camp projectiles or a broken lagless gay approach move" since the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom