• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tunes Bi-Weeklies: LAZERS PEW PEW -SATURDAY JULY 12TH MELEE!

Should i turn this into a Biweekly?

• Yes

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezit

Smash Ace
Lol yah u left even after me ill talk to them tomorrow and get a hold of it and uhhhh figure out a way to get it back to him

Eggm

Smash Hero
Melee please for this one. So that half the people there who were more entertained by the one melee setup on tiny tv can have some fun, I know the philly guys would support melee as well. xD

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Until I recently got to know him, I thought his name was DMB Brandon because of the way peoplw wrote it. hmmm DMV Brandon sounds cool.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Only 16 people were really interested and two of us me and you had to be talked into it. Where as I can name 7 people who would rather have played melee. Eggm/Jfox/cheezit/m2k/randomsmasher/eazy/jota, which is basically half of all the people who wanted to enter. Also I rarely hard of people not entering melee tournaments cause there was no chance to win money which is stuff I heard in my little melee corner. Brawl is stupid lol, its just a bunch of smashers who try to steal money from the huge influx of casuals who will be gone in 6 months anyways cause casuals don't get into games for more time than that. Melee for life. :) And 6 teams? That was pathetic, melee for the next one please. :)

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
So your saying we don't steal money from casuals playing Melee?? Cause the chance of that is alot more likely.

Also I believe there were only 6 teams because of the DM tourney the day before having around 20 teams.

3 NJ Brawl tournies in just 3 days is rediculous. I didn't even want to enter on Sunday cause of the 12 hours I played Brawl the day before but I did. I don't know how DM does it.

Scar

#HarveyDent
So your saying we don't steal money from casuals playing Melee?? Cause the chance of that is alot more likely.
IMO this is false. The top 3 will steal casual's money, yes, but not everyone. I mean I don't expect to win money when I go to tournies (even though at this point I probably should) but if I ever entered a Brawl tourney, the main reason would probably be to luckily beat everyone and win the money.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Lol, sure there are people like that in melee who will travel to some no name tournament in western NY *cough plank *cough* but the majority of the melee community plays for competition and recognition. Aka see me and m2k. The majroity of the community would go to a competitive tourney with a ton of good players rather than another one on the same day just as close with like 18 scrubs just to make a quick buck. Simply because the competition in melee is fun and exciting. In brawl's case the competition is boring and slow and whoever wants to camp/rolll harder wins. So your going basically for money lol. 3 tourney weekends in melee were awesome... those were the good ol days, where I went to NY on friday took 1st place in teams and singles, then saturday to a tourney and cheezits on Sunday.. man.. if only.. :)

Keitaro

Eggm said:
Lol, sure there are people like that in melee who will travel to some no name tournament in western NY *cough plank *cough* but the majority of the melee community plays for competition and recognition. Aka see me and m2k. The majroity of the community would go to a competitive tourney with a ton of good players rather than another one on the same day just as close with like 18 scrubs just to make a quick buck. Simply because the competition in melee is fun and exciting. In brawl's case the competition is boring and slow and whoever wants to camp/rolll harder wins. So your going basically for money lol. 3 tourney weekends in melee were awesome... those were the good ol days, where I went to NY on friday took 1st place in teams and singles, then saturday to a tourney and cheezits on Sunday.. man.. if only..
I do not go for the money. Any money I have won in Brawl I have never spent it on myself. If I did then I would have never entered Melee tournies because there I would place 7th @ most at an easier local tourney.

You can't "luckily" beat someone because there are obvious differences in skill level in Brawl. I was 14-0 in Brawl matches till I faced Velocity @ DM's tourney. I didn't luckily beat every single person I faced till I got up to Velocity. Most matches were easy, some were a little tougher, but not 1 match was taken off me.

I never entered tournies for money and never will. Last time I won money @ a Brawl tourney I gave it to my girlfriend cause I went to the tourney instead of chilling with her and felt bad about it. Ask anyone and they'll tell you the exact same. The other time I won a Brawl tourney I got a $10 dollar gift card for Starbucks that I plan on using randomly with my girl someday if I don't lose the card first. I entered that tourney expecting no prize btw.

I got 5th and 4th @ 2 tournies this weekend so why do I plan on entering the Brawl tourney this weekend at Rutgers if I have recently consistently made no money? Hmmm....

I do it for competition and recognition.

Edit: As for traveling, the NY tourney this friday had NY, NJ, and CT representives that I know of. DM's had NJ, PA, and NY representives that I know of.

Scar

#HarveyDent
There's far more of the battle for recognition in Melee than has developed in Brawl yet. Which is odd because at the beginning of Brawl, everyone wanted to be the best. Now it seems like a lot of people don't really care so much.

Also lol @ that bookkeeping account with regards to your tournament money winnings. I don't think it disproves the point that many people would play Brawl for money over competition just by saying, "Well I don't!"

There are plenty of people who don't follow this rule, but I definitely think it's more prevalent in Brawl than Melee. I mean, no one plays Melee for money I guess because you just can't win.

Anyways, LOL @ 16 entrants for such a new game. How the hell did that happen? Also LOL @ DMB forcing people to split. If I were there I would have made M2K **** you. Stop being a *****.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I do not go for the money. Any money I have won in Brawl I have never spent it on myself. If I did then I would have never entered Melee tournies because there I would place 7th @ most at an easier local tourney.
This helps my point. There were tons of people who entered, simply because the competition was fun, it was a great game. But I heard quite a few times people saying "I have no chance of making money so why should I enter?" And the fact that 14 out of 30 were interested in entering shows this. The only place i heard of half of the attendees entering melee was in NY weeklies, but everywhere else that doesn't really happen.

You can't "luckily" beat someone because there are obvious differences in skill level in Brawl. I was 14-0 in Brawl matches till I faced Velocity @ DM's tourney. I didn't luckily beat every single person I faced till I got up to Velocity. Most matches were easy, some were a little tougher, but not 1 match was taken off me.
This is entirely false. Jman placed dead last at the NY weekly then at the next one without practicing like pretty much at all, got like 1st in teams and 5th in singles beating D.A Wes, whom plays a ton and is highly "skilled" in brawl. Stuff like this happens constnatly, and you want to know why? Once you hit a certain level of SMASH skill, brawl isn't deep enough to where the better player can always win. You might as well flip a coin for the winner when a certain level is reached. For example, I practice pretty much well NOT AT ALL. And the two tournaments i've been to i've taken their best player in the reigon (azen/dmbrandon) to super hard matches on the last stock and lost by SD's. Azen said I was his hardest match in the tournament, and i'd be surprised if brandon doesn't say the same thing. SImply because i'm skilled at smash in general and once u hit a certain level of smash in barwl its deteremined by like a random smash attack on the 3rd stock high % whoever gets more impatient first. I could provide more examples if you wish. Even tho I hate the game I still follow techniques and results for whatever reason lol.

I never entered tournies for money and never will. Last time I won money @ a Brawl tourney I gave it to my girlfriend cause I went to the tourney instead of chilling with her and felt bad about it. Ask anyone and they'll tell you the exact same. The other time I won a Brawl tourney I got a $10 dollar gift card for Starbucks that I plan on using randomly with my girl someday if I don't lose the card first. I entered that tourney expecting no prize btw.

I got 5th and 4th @ 2 tournies this weekend so why do I plan on entering the Brawl tourney this weekend at Rutgers if I have recently consistently made no money? Hmmm....

I do it for competition and recognition.

Edit: As for traveling, the NY tourney this friday had NY, NJ, and CT representives that I know of. DM's had NJ, PA, and NY representives that I know of.
This is very cool and honorable and of course theres exceptions to every rule, but you can already tell that some people play it for money, look at dm brandon. Chibo told me he BEGGED blackenese and m2k to do a 3 way split at his tournament, then asked m2k to split here. That doesn't sound he like he wants to be considered the best to me, sounds like he wants to win money. You can't tell me tho that 95% of the brawl community isn't new brawl scrubs who think they can win cause theres no wd/l-cancel now and melee players who want to take the money from the bigger community? Cause its true. There are that 5% who truly enjoy the game like yourself and d1( The cool brawlers), but they are far and few between, a huge community of people like you could exist peacefully and probably have a lot of fun, but thats not how it is. :(

NY way over hypes their brawl biweeklies lol. Mainly cause of D.A. I know for a fact on aim pc said he likes melee way better, and probably goes to the brawl biweeklies to make money lol. He got 2nd at the other one without caring or practicing brawl at all. Again to further prove my first point.

Keitaro

There's far more of the battle for recognition in Melee than has developed in Brawl yet. Which is odd because at the beginning of Brawl, everyone wanted to be the best. Now it seems like a lot of people don't really care so much.

Also lol @ that bookkeeping account with regards to your tournament money winnings. I don't think it disproves the point that many people would play Brawl for money over competition just by saying, "Well I don't!"

There are plenty of people who don't follow this rule, but I definitely think it's more prevalent in Brawl than Melee. I mean, no one plays Melee for money I guess because you just can't win.

Anyways, LOL @ 16 entrants for such a new game. How the hell did that happen? Also LOL @ DMB forcing people to split. If I were there I would have made M2K **** you. Stop being a *****.
He already beat M2K. "SURPRISE!!" Did you not look at the bracket? I guess not??

Whoever does it for the money are just *****. I know I don't, and I know if you ask most people they will say they don't, but it would be hard to believe them anyway.

I don't keep record of my money winnings. I don't even remember how much I won when I did the first time. I also wasn't trying to disprove that other people do if for compitition or recognition, I was just saying that I do. That's why I quoted Eggm not you.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i dont get all this splitting stuff... just play it out, there no way it can be predicted. plus, splitting stuff only hazes the resuts which makes things difficult come rankings time. the money is awesome, but come on, smash TOURNAMENTS are to see who comes out on top. obviously theres all the reasons of chilling with ppl, getting better, and what not, but if these were the only reasons everyone would only do smashfests and no paid tourneys. it would save a lot of us some money. and some of us have to make a living haha

Keitaro

Eggm said:
This is entirely false. Jman placed dead last at the NY weekly then at the next one without practicing like pretty much at all, got like 1st in teams and 5th in singles beating D.A Wes, whom plays a ton and is highly "skilled" in brawl. Stuff like this happens constnatly, and you want to know why? Once you hit a certain level of SMASH skill, brawl isn't deep enough to where the better player can always win. You might as well flip a coin for the winner when a certain level is reached. For example, I practice pretty much well NOT AT ALL. And the two tournaments i've been to i've taken their best player in the reigon (azen/dmbrandon) to super hard matches on the last stock and lost by SD's. Azen said I was his hardest match in the tournament, and i'd be surprised if brandon doesn't say the same thing. SImply because i'm skilled at smash in general and once u hit a certain level of smash in barwl its deteremined by like a random smash attack on the 3rd stock high % whoever gets more impatient first. I could provide more examples if you wish. Even tho I hate the game I still follow techniques and results for whatever reason lol.
No offense to Wes but I don't think he's so great in Brawl. Ask NJ players who have played him. I do understand your saying that once you reach a level in Brawl it feels like a flip of a coin but it really isn't. Nothing is directly luck and even though you may have lost to Ronnie and he beat me first match, once I got used to his fighting style I wrecked him with no probs. I feel alot of people don't know what another character can do which causes matches to go back and forth alot in Brawl.

Eggm said:
This is very cool and honorable and of course theres exceptions to every rule, but you can already tell that some people play it for money, look at dm brandon. Chibo told me he BEGGED blackenese and m2k to do a 3 way split at his tournament, then asked m2k to split here. That doesn't sound he like he wants to be considered the best to me, sounds like he wants to win money. You can't tell me tho that 95% of the brawl community isn't new brawl scrubs who think they can win cause theres no wd/l-cancel now and melee players who want to take the money from the bigger community? Cause its true. There are that 5% who truly enjoy the game like yourself and d1( The cool brawlers), but they are far and few between, a huge community of people like you could exist peacefully and probably have a lot of fun, but thats not how it is. :(
Well D1 and I will make sure that 95% don't win money somehow :laugh: The world is an evil one in Brawl indeed.
Eggm said:
NY way over hypes their brawl biweeklies lol. Mainly cause of D.A. I know for a fact on aim pc said he likes melee way better, and probably goes to the brawl biweeklies to make money lol. He got 2nd at the other one without caring or practicing brawl at all. Again to further prove my first point.
I don't really practice either but it's mainly cause I don't know what to perfect or anything. Every Falco vid I watch on youtube no matter who it is does not teach me anything I didn't know. Back when I used to play Melee "still do sometimes" I would watch and amazing Falco on youtube "IE: the egg master" and learn ****. At the moment I can't do that. D.A. btw is taking Brawl way overboard so early in the game that's it's rediculous.

Keitaro

lmao I love how worked up you get over stupid things. And by love, I mean not love at all in any way.
I honestly hate posting to prove things but sorry if I sounded angry or something I just assumed you thought M2K would win when he already lost even though alot of BS happened in the match against M2K.

I'm taking away so much time from the class I'm in doing this :(

Scar

#HarveyDent
I think than in Brawl, even if DM beat M2K in a set, M2K could easily beat DM in a different set. There is so much BS that happens in Brawl sets it isn't even fair. ...which I suppose is my argument in the first place.

I would have strongly recommended M2K play it out. He doesn't care about the money anyways.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea i thought the same. im not gonna lie i assumed m2k would win no probs, but it seems DM did beat him in one set. however, even with skill, they are two good players and in a game with such an early metagame, matches can go either way. m2k would have had 3 sets over the 2 tournies and only played one out. he could have won on the other 2, but so could brandon. we wont know cause they "had" to split it

Keitaro

I would have strongly recommended M2K play it out. He doesn't care about the money anyways.
Quoted from M2K's mouth yesterday after deciding to split with DM "that's what I'm here for anyway, the money" I also heard he directly said he plays for the money and fame, lol!

Urgh!! Chibo I can't understand your post man :confused:

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I like Brawl more than Melee because mindlessness can't win even against scrubs. You can't just push buttons fast and win.

I don't play for money, but money is cool to win. I won a lot at Texas Showdown.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
lol sry for some of the typos and missed words, i was typing in class and wasn't watching my screen lol. i edited my post above so that should make it a bit clearer. pretty much like over the 2 tournies (DM's and tunes), DM had to play M2k 3 times. they only actually played 1 of those matches and the other 2 were splits. the one match DM won, though its completely reasonable that m2k could have won the other 2. its impossible to predict who woulda won especially between 2 good players in brawl, a game where the metagame hasn't had much time at all to evolve.

uhg either way, no matches should be split. except for a couple instances like good friends getting 1 and 2 as gotm pointed out to me, like scar and pakman at harrisburg.

and all m2k cares about is the money and fame lol. hes said so many times. thats why he plays brawl, its his only real source of income. if there was no money in it, he would only play melee

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Keitaro don't let opposing opinions force you to contradict yourself or where you stand. Just because scar or eggm present an idea that may force your actions to seem wrong, it's not going to be deemed wrong for every situation. We have talked, and both enjoyed the fact that we can now actually win money off of brawl. Whether it be some random tourny, a weekly or whatever, there is a chance and it is a good feeling to know that you can be in the higher ranks of the game. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GOING TO TOURNY FOR MONEY. As far as a claim for brawl vs melee its sad however. In melee if m2k cactuar eggm spam were at a tourny, who else felt like they were going to make money? ....Yea.... We all played and entered no question involved because the game was thaat intense.The game was def that good that I would pay to enter knowing dam well I had no chance to win money. BRAW...I can not force myself to play this game even if there is a chance I could wini money. its just worse thats all. But seriously you dont have to make it seem like money is never an issue when its obviously not true. Anyone who can win the money, would like to win the money its not a bad thing. But when its the onlything motivating you to enter...what does it say about the game??
Inui...are u serious? Wtf is with this mindlessness ****? If me as a falco player is fighting a scrub, everything I do has a purpose. Im thinking yes, the scrub however is not forcing me to think very hard. If i begin pillaring his sheild and he cant do anything about it, IM THE MINDLESS ONE??????? Come on, seriously, you want to have to try to beat scrubs?

Most people who will lie to themselves and say brawl is better than melee have the illusion that they have made a name for themselves in this game. One day they will see that especially at this point, THAT MEANS NOTHING. That is all

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
It takes more than fast buttons, it's called effort. I can beat a scrub without even L-cancelling. It should be about who put more effort into a game. Brawl, to me doesn't provide that. I watched two people who don't even play smash at all beat two other people that do. Brawl does that, Melee doesn't, unless it's VERY rare, like when I FIRST started playing melee, lol. Anyway, point being, this game is skill and luck, in an uneven split- favoring luck. That'swhat I've gotten. No offenseto hardcore Brawlers.

"Crank that Roy"

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GOING TO TOURNY FOR MONEY. As far as a claim for brawl vs melee its sad however. In melee if m2k cactuar eggm spam were at a tourny, who else felt like they were going to make money? ....Yea.... We all played and entered no question involved because the game was thaat intense.The game was def that good that I would pay to enter knowing dam well I had no chance to win money. BRAW...I can not force myself to play this game even if there is a chance I could wini money. its just worse thats all. But seriously you dont have to make it seem like money is never an issue when its obviously not true. Anyone who can win the money, would like to win the money its not a bad thing. But when its the onlything motivating you to enter...what does it say about the game??
qft thats a good way to put it

dmbrandon

Smash Master
3 NJ Brawl tournies in just 3 days is rediculous. I didn't even want to enter on Sunday cause of the 12 hours I played Brawl the day before but I did. I don't know how DM does it.
^_~ I do it for the lulz

Bad news, son. I promised to split with m2k if ever I was in winners and he was in losers. Blackanese knew he couldn't beat m2k, and I knew I could. So blackanese forfeited to me so I could fight m2k, and we would split, and m2k knew he was going to lose because he can't fight meta. So he said he'd split 150 a piece and 70 to blackanese.

fyi, The next day, I played m2k in winners semi's and 2-0'd him. I lost one game to velocity 3-1 in winners finals, and the rest of the day I went perfect.

I took three wins in 3 days, with two seconds in singles.

I don't camp, I don't cheat, and I don't whine.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I'm probably stating the obvious that brawl is alot easier than melee, took me a hell of alot longer to get decent with a character in melee than it does in brawl. I also agree with Eazy that it's silly to try to get recognized in a game that not too many people know how to "master" or whatever yet. I've yet to see a brawl video that left me with the "WOW" feeling that some melee videos have, but that's because the game's been out for like two months. But is the drama necessary? Certain people like one game, certain others like the other game. No need to shove opinions down other's throats right?

And it's not wrong to compete to win money. That's like saying you go to a poker tournament for fun or something. Personally, I like brawl more, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not going to try to "convert" anyone.

To those who are awesome at melee, it's really cool to watch you guys. Wish I could pull off stuff like that.

Cheezit

Smash Ace
Lots of spam in this thread go back to The tunes spams alot thread as i am currently working on acquiring a date for the next one That will be melee!!!!!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
It takes more than fast buttons, it's called effort. I can beat a scrub without even L-cancelling. It should be about who put more effort into a game. Brawl, to me doesn't provide that. I watched two people who don't even play smash at all beat two other people that do. Brawl does that, Melee doesn't, unless it's VERY rare, like when I FIRST started playing melee, lol. Anyway, point being, this game is skill and luck, in an uneven split- favoring luck. That'swhat I've gotten. No offenseto hardcore Brawlers.

"Crank that Roy"
Remember Scars: the most effort won't always win?

Take a look at my tourn record this weekend, plz.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
any vids from all fo that DM? interested in seeing some high lvl play and i tihnk m2k vs DM or DM vs anyone would be good to watch. i wanna be a student of this game.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I'd like to add that I would have thousands more dollars if I didn't get screwed at evo world ruleset and was slightly better by the time MLG vegas came around, along with losing over 1,450 dollars extra cuz of the skybus incident right before OC3. I never expect luck to be on my side, in fact I'm always expecting the worse case scenario, so being satisfied with doing okay is easier now. I wish I could go back in time in maylay with my current mindset and play it out, but I can't do anything about that

don't record matches and my simple style unless you just want to see fair to forward B combos and up B out of shield for half the match

Eazy23

Smash Lord
^^ umm oh ok...and YES UR MARTH IS GHHEEEEEEEY

Also, the game is so **** new that almost no 1 is comfortable with certain character matchups. People please dont get ur little wee wee's hard over wins because usually people are experiencing their FIRST matches vs certain characters right now

Keitaro

Keitaro don't let opposing opinions force you to contradict yourself or where you stand. Just because scar or eggm present an idea that may force your actions to seem wrong, it's not going to be deemed wrong for every situation. We have talked, and both enjoyed the fact that we can now actually win money off of brawl. Whether it be some random tourny, a weekly or whatever, there is a chance and it is a good feeling to know that you can be in the higher ranks of the game. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GOING TO TOURNY FOR MONEY. As far as a claim for brawl vs melee its sad however. In melee if m2k cactuar eggm spam were at a tourny, who else felt like they were going to make money? ....Yea.... We all played and entered no question involved because the game was thaat intense.The game was def that good that I would pay to enter knowing dam well I had no chance to win money. BRAW...I can not force myself to play this game even if there is a chance I could wini money. its just worse thats all. But seriously you dont have to make it seem like money is never an issue when its obviously not true. Anyone who can win the money, would like to win the money its not a bad thing. But when its the onlything motivating you to enter...what does it say about the game??
Inui...are u serious? Wtf is with this mindlessness ****? If me as a falco player is fighting a scrub, everything I do has a purpose. Im thinking yes, the scrub however is not forcing me to think very hard. If i begin pillaring his sheild and he cant do anything about it, IM THE MINDLESS ONE??????? Come on, seriously, you want to have to try to beat scrubs?

Most people who will lie to themselves and say brawl is better than melee have the illusion that they have made a name for themselves in this game. One day they will see that especially at this point, THAT MEANS NOTHING. That is all
I never said I entered tournies for money. I think it's an awesome benifit though. When we spoke in person I told you I don't enter for the money so why are you saying they are changing my words when they clearly aren't?!?!? Why must you always argue against me when you don't even understand what I'm trying to say. Ask me clearly first before you go assuming things like this :/

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I argue against u because u constantly contradict yourself...If you change your view on something thats fine, but if you say something Im going to assume you meant it. You have on more than one occasion displayed a Positive reaction to gaining money from a tournament. And as I stated in my post, there is nothing wrong with admiring or desiring the monetary reward for competiting in a tournament. I simply said you shouldnt feel like you have to defend yourself against someone claiming that its negative... more in your defense than against you. Any negative factors of my post would not logically be pointed at you so sorry if you read it the wrong way. They were general comments are far as the melee/ brawl comparison went. So umm what are you even talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom