• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Truth About Smash Bros- An Interesting Article on Brawl's Competitive Appeal

BrawlinNess

Smash Cadet
The article: http://www.gamingvice.net/2009/08/29/the-truth-about-super-smash-bros/
Link on N4G: http://www.n4g.com/gaming/NewsCom-386250.aspx?CT=1&Page=1&Page2=1#C2725611

Long story short, it seems as though the guy writing the article has a good handle on the game but makes a bunch of weird points on how Brawl should only be played using items and Smash Balls. He also has some good footage from EVO last year and a quote by Capcom-Unity's Sam Killian on Smash.

It was definitely an interesting read but I'd like to hear what all of you guys think of this? Honestly, I disagree with the guy and think Smash should be played however people want and that competitively, it should be with no items or Smash Balls.

D-Win commented on the article already and made some good points but liek I said, I'm interested in what everyone else thinks.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Completely disagree.
People can fight and bicker about how Metaknight is a broken charcater, Snake and Lucas have ridiculously unfair up-smashes
lolwut?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Why does nobody seem to realize MK + Items (Projectiles) + Stupid stages that he can time out even easier = autowin?

Dekar173

Justice Man
Superior to Melee in every single way? I prefer Brawl to Melee, but being realistic here, it's nearly impossible to make a sequel superior in every single way.

Article full of fallacies, generalizations, and just an outright misled writer in general, interesting read though :p

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
I saw the article earlier. Interesting read, if nothing else. Hard to agree with the guy when he puts so many extremes into his work. I personally say, live and let live. Let people play the way they want. End of story there.

As for this thread, I forsee about 3 pages of people-

A. Commenting on how supposedly ignorant he is for saying Brawl is superior to Melee.

B. Going 'Lol' and 'Melee>>>>Brawl'.

C. Badmouthing Sakurai, Brawl's mechanics, and items in general.

D. Complaining about how 'broken' Brawl is.

Naturally this will lead to 2 outcomes. Increased post counts and Brawl Vs Melee flame war.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I saw the article earlier. Interesting read, if nothing else. Hard to agree with the guy when he puts so many extremes into his work. I personally say, live and let live. Let people play the way they want. End of story there.

As for this thread, I forsee about 3 pages of people-

A. Commenting on how supposedly ignorant he is for saying Brawl is superior to Melee.

B. Going 'Lol' and 'Melee>>>>Brawl'.

C. Badmouthing Sakurai, Brawl's mechanics, and items in general.

D. Complaining about how 'broken' Brawl is.

Naturally this will lead to 2 outcomes. Increased post counts and Brawl Vs Melee flame war.
E. Saying STFU and play whatever you want.

:)

I don't feel like reading the article. We've already discussed no items in competitive Smash.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Does this guy know ANYTHING about competitive Smash? He sounds like one of those annoying guys who, instead of attending tournaments, just sit in their basements and BAW about "tourneyf*gs".

Ignore plz

Prawn

Smash Master
idk, the only valid point he has is about Final Smashes evening out tiers.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Now, I must say, that watching the Ken vs. CPU videos had me more excited than watching any 1 vs. 1 no items match ever has. Ken, the best in the world, verse a fellow smasher but with items like the bumper and smashballs had even me wondering who would win. The Skyworld vid (2nd match) had me surprised they even picked it, and while I still thing it's cheap, it was interesting to watch. But notice that items were on a low and not every item was on, such as crates, barrels, bomb-ombs, gooey bombs, hot heads, ect. I think if some items were put in, it could spruce up certain characters, like Ganondorf and Falcon what with giving them some form of projectile and diminish the Meta-ruling. What does everyone else think?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
idk, the only valid point he has is about Final Smashes evening out tiers.
That doesn't even it out at all lmao.

It just makes Falco like, the best character.

Also, who the **** cares what Seth Killian says? I don't see him attending tournaments, he's not important to Smash in any way, so who gives a **** what his opinions are?

"Storyline Penned"? What could you "pen"? There's no ****ing dialogue and the story is dumb. It doesn't explain anything lmao.

EVO vid? Really? The items are the reason that everyone hated it and no one legit went lololol.

This guy should go to a real tournament and get his *** handed to him on a plate served with some rapesauce and then maybe he'll see the light.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I also like how he quotes that Capcom guy.
Some Capcom employee that doesn't even play competitive Smash OBVIOUSLY knows a lot more about it than SBR and the rest of the communtity lol.

haha lolz at the idea of final smashes making stuff even. Lucas's final smash is so easy to dodge, he would still be low tier. WTF is this guy's problem anyways?
But Lucas is totally unfair, so naturally he should have a bad FS. Read the article DUUUUR xD

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
OH GOSH the article said that lucas has an unfair upsmash. I guess that means I'm only going to use that next time I'm at a tourney; I'm clearly going to win now that he pointed out that fact. We're practically going to have to ban lucas for being so broken.

Jonas

Smash Champion
OH GOSH the article said that lucas has an unfair upsmash. I guess that means I'm only going to use that next time I'm at a tourney; I'm clearly going to win now that he pointed out that fact. We're practically going to have to ban lucas for being so broken.
Yeah, it has enormous range and killing power. It's even better than Ike's Fsmash (previously thought to be the most broken move in any video game ever).It's just ridiculously unfair D:

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I do like brawl better but this guy for the most part doesnt know what hes talking about.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I swear I've seen this before somewhere. Copypastaing troll is copypastaing.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I also like how he quotes that Capcom guy.
Some Capcom employee that doesn't even play competitive Smash OBVIOUSLY knows a lot more about it than SBR and the rest of the communtity lol.

But Lucas is totally unfair, so naturally he should have a bad FS. Read the article DUUUUR xD
Dude, did you read the article? The guy has played Melee and Brawl and is the cofounder of EVO so I would take into consideration what the guy says. Besides, aren't there members of the SBR who don't even play Brawl?

Anyway, I'm fine with items since they add a sense of strategy, but of course, there are the times where a bomb appears next to you just as you're about to attack.

Next game, the game needs to balance the characters using a neutral stage and no items. Otherwise, we'll have characters who are dependent on the presence of items or environmental hazards. Also, instead of making final smashes an item, it should be built up like a super meter.

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention. Tiers shouldn't exist. At the very least they shouldn't exist in the state they are in Smash at this point. We shouldn't have tourney viable and non-viable characters. Everyone should be viable regardless of learning curve and whatnot.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
What he appears to be missing is that Final Smashes are intended to be used against multiple opponents for maximum KO's. Using them in 1v1 is like trying to swat a fly with a shotgun.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
What he appears to be missing is that Final Smashes are intended to be used against multiple opponents for maximum KO's. Using them in 1v1 is like trying to swat a fly with a shotgun.
Exactly, the whole item idea is pointless unless they put them on low, and have specific items on. These items would be fair:

Screw Attack
Mr. Saturn
Beam Sword (maybe)
Warp Star
Franklin Badge
Hammer (maybe)
Banana
Fire Flower
Smoke Ball

No bombs or food.

Random, random, random. So far, I wouldn't consider items in competitive smash until someone can clearify the benefit of bombs falling into your attack.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
yeah. with 64 and Melee, it's not really possible to play with items on in a fair way, but with Brawl, you can turn off crates, which were the balance breakers in the last 2 games. the reason why people get pissed at items is because of your instinct that even if only, like say, food was on, you could still get an exploding box. but with Brawl, that problem is gone, so you can actually have true competitive play with items.

just saying.
Screw Attack
Mr. Saturn
Beam Sword (maybe)
Warp Star
Franklin Badge
Hammer (maybe)
Banana
Fire Flower
Smoke Ball
Hammer has godlike knockback, so no. trade with lipstick. Mr Freezie works too.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
He has some points (if he was trying to make some), but based on things he said about the game I don't really find it an interesting story, he knows too little about the game to make a good statement about the subject.

.WC.

Smash Journeyman
Now, I must say, that watching the Ken vs. CPU videos had me more excited than watching any 1 vs. 1 no items match ever has. Ken, the best in the world, verse a fellow smasher but with items like the bumper and smashballs had even me wondering who would win. The Skyworld vid (2nd match) had me surprised they even picked it, and while I still thing it's cheap, it was interesting to watch. But notice that items were on a low and not every item was on, such as crates, barrels, bomb-ombs, gooey bombs, hot heads, ect. I think if some items were put in, it could spruce up certain characters, like Ganondorf and Falcon what with giving them some form of projectile and diminish the Meta-ruling. What does everyone else think?
I think competitive smash =/= items, regardless of what's allowed and the rate at which they spawn.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
This guy sucks **** We've already discussed the existence of tier, what is 'fair' in smash, a good skill only involved ruleset, and the fairness of items. The only 'decent' point this guy has was not comparing the game to melee to solve the item debate. And even then, items still shouldn't be used.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
That article was AWFUL. Is that a respectable site or author? It almost seems like a joke to me. Like, did some random guy just write that? Because anybody with the least bit of knowledge about smash wouldn't write such garbage.

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
Plus
1. Random tripping is very gay
2. Brawl does have BETTER music, character choices, graphics, etc.
3. Subspace was a nice addition.

Minus
1. Snake has an unfair usmash? are you talking about his utilt...???
2. Lucas's usmash is a lot of ending lag ... sure it's powerful but i woudn't call it "unfair" :ohwell:
3. People argue about Rob's chain grabs being broken??! okay then.
4. "Marth is just **** cheap" i'm not even gonna bother going into how many billion ways you can argue this.
5. Introducing items and smash balls into tournaments.... yea I don't think that would work so well dude.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I knew I should've mained Lucas instead of Ness. .__. Anyway, Brawl does have nice stuff in it. However, I still prefer Melee > Brawl. And not because it's more competitive, but because I actually have fun playing Melee over Brawl. After the Wii stopped reading Brawl, I decided to try out Melee, though it's so outdated. But I found myself enjoying it so much, I almost told myself I wouldn't play Brawl anymore.

.WC.

Smash Journeyman
I knew I should've mained Lucas instead of Ness. .__. Anyway, Brawl does have nice stuff in it. However, I still prefer Melee > Brawl. And not because it's more competitive, but because I actually have fun playing Melee over Brawl. After the Wii stopped reading Brawl, I decided to try out Melee, though it's so outdated. But I found myself enjoying it so much, I almost told myself I wouldn't play Brawl anymore.
Screw Lucas. He's too noob friendly. Ness all the way!

Melee is better than Brawl in almost every aspect. I got back into it recently, but now I'm into Brawl+ as well.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Screw Lucas. He's too noob friendly. Ness all the way!

Melee is better than Brawl in almost every aspect. I got back into it recently, but now I'm into Brawl+ as well.
I was joking about the Lucas part. XD Just because of that up smash. "Look at that up smash!" :laugh: Gah, who said that?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
"for the first time in series’ history, a flat-out broken chartacter, Metaknight."

I'm pretty sure it was competitive Smash that made Metaknight broken. If it stayed a party game, like the author wanted it to, no one would even notice.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I think it's just stupid how people fight over stuff like this.
Just play & have fun. That's what games are for. I'm not saying you shouldn't be competitive, but some things are just ridiculous.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Regardless of the ignorance of items, I laugh at the fact that most of the posters here think competitive item Smash is an impossibility.

Top Bottom