• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Truth About Smash Bros- An Interesting Article on Brawl's Competitive Appeal

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
"for the first time in series’ history, a flat-out broken chartacter, Metaknight."

I'm pretty sure it was competitive Smash that made Metaknight broken. If it stayed a party game, like the author wanted it to, no one would even notice.
QFT.

In Melee, Ganondorf was the broken character in casual play.

Regardless of the ignorance of items, I laugh at the fact that most of the posters here think competitive item Smash is an impossibility.
Competative play with items is in no way immpossible. The thing is, most people don't see that it is possible and don't accept it.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
"for the first time in series’ history, a flat-out broken chartacter, Metaknight."

I'm pretty sure it was competitive Smash that made Metaknight broken. If it stayed a party game, like the author wanted it to, no one would even notice.
In that case, 64 and Melee made MK broken. They were what made competitive Brawl, and then competitive Brawl made MK broken.

So basically it's all Melee's fault ;)

The Brigand

Smash Cadet
Read the article, there's some things I agree with and some things I don't.

For starters, random tripping was definitely included to restrict the usage of certain techs (which were also nerfed themselves, too). And his quote from Seth is right: Banning things without bothering to test them in a competitive environment is pretty dumb.

I could go on and on about everything he got wrong, but... well, everybody else has already done that.

Also, for the people condemning items (and Seth for saying Brawl should be played with them): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675

Item Standard Play exists, y'know.

Top Bottom