• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Well Unity Ruleset goes by result screen, so I say Zelda.

brb, becoming best Zelda

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Results screen also shows which character you got KO'd by (by showing the character icon under Falls). You can sorta game it, but it's normally a pretty accurate showing of who you're killing with.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I wouldn't lie to ya, I went all Sheik against Gnes. Against Keitaro it was all sheik game 1 against Falco. Against MK there was a combination of both Zelda and Sheik with more Sheik based, Zelda getting some kills. Honest truth.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Wow, Zelda and Link seem to mean a lot to people these days.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Wow, Zelda and Link seem to mean a lot to people these days.
No, Xavier just keeps bringing up his opinionated list and people have to explain to him why hes wrong.
But he's one of those people who will continue to argue even when hes proven wrong.
So it in turn makes it look like there's a big discussion about them, when it's just people telling Xavier to sit down.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
TearBear is the only one who actually has proven me wrong that he deserves a spot on top 5 Links. Mainly because well he uses everyone so its harder to gauge his solo Link representation/skills.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
But we all love Zelda lol.

Xavier is pretty unbiased. Pushy, but more unbiased than many if you ask me.
Every Zelda post is just him riding Vens ****.

Dudes been to like a total 5 tournaments with more than 25 people and has been to two regions and Xavier will argue till the ends of the earth why he deserves a raise.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
He has been to much more than 5 by now... Its about 8 or 9 tourneys in the past year (Since he started going offline) which is pretty active. Just cuz you don't see that he goes to a tourney or two a month doesn't mean he has only been to 5 tourneys =_=.

Just like you not knowing about SK92 doesn't mean he is a random lol

Chuee

Smash Hero
No, Xavier just keeps bringing up his opinionated list and people have to explain to him why hes wrong.
But he's one of those people who will continue to argue even when hes proven wrong.
So it in turn makes it look like there's a big discussion about them, when it's just people telling Xavier to sit down.
Fuujin, you never even explained why he was wrong. You just said Ven sucked because he places decent in a bad region. Then when Xavier and others actually post good players he's beaten (in fact he beat 2 players that YOU lost to) you don't say anything in response? Oh, yes, clearly they must be extremely biased compared to you even though you've ALWAYS been out to make Ven seem bad, even after he beat Rich Brown, Vato, and Z. Compared to the wins of other Zelda's, which are pretty poor, I don't see why he doesn't deserve top 2.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Fuujin, you never even explained why he was wrong. You just said Ven sucked because he places decent in a bad region. Then when Xavier and others actually post good players he's beaten (in fact he beat 2 players that YOU lost to) you don't say anything in response? Oh, yes, clearly they must be extremely biased compared to you even though you've ALWAYS been out to make Ven seem bad, even after he beat Rich Brown, Vato, and Z. Compared to the wins of other Zelda's, which are pretty poor, I don't see why he doesn't deserve top 2.
I've been saying this for awhile now (since he beat rich brown to be honest).

But I guess someone might use the excuse WC doesn't handle low/mid tiers well, they never played a Zelda, etc...

Obviously losing to Zelda's worst MUs or a good player majority of the time doesn't fly for ven.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I never said that actually, Ven has a very nice Zelda but as I said before, a majority of his tournaments have 15-25 people in a region with 3 other notable players.
He's been to one national/regional and didn't do any better than most Zelda's do at a tournament.
It sort of undermines everyone else's results because he beat so and so in pools.

I think everyone can agree that he has the easiest region and considering he's only traveled like once it's a little ridic to say he should be top two.
Mocha's been playing like 5 months and she has better results imo for the region she's in.
It's fine if you wanna say he's top 2 but saying "he beat RB in pools = auto top 2" is dumb.
At least go with him beating Z, it's an actual bracket win.
Overall placement >>>> who beat who in bracket.

I've been saying this for awhile now (since he beat rich brown to be honest).

But I guess someone might use the excuse WC doesn't handle low/mid tiers well, they never played a Zelda, etc...

Obviously losing to Zelda's worst MUs or a good player majority of the time doesn't fly for ven.
Aren't these all in pools?
Maybe SoCal takes pools a lot more srsly than other regions but I've never seen anyone place such a huge emphasis on pools matches.

I mean if were REALLY gonna go by pools I'm sure I could spend like 30 minutes pulling up Riot or my pool wins.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Mocha has yet to beat someone noteworthy. She beats the easier part of the bracket placing decent for a Zelda as far as I have seen. Ven actually does that AND beats noticeable names at times (obviously not 24/7 its Zelda beating a great player of any character is difficult). He has been to I believe 3 out of state tourneys at least (aisight would know more then me)

The easiest region is Linkz's for the record. Mocha should get higher then him right now anyways off of activity. 1 tourney in the past 4 months in a tourney scene easier then RI (except when DeLux went there ;)).

Riot and Mocha have hardest regions imo, then you and ED then ven. (NOW THIS COULD BE BIAS HA)

falln

Smash Ace
ven's win on vato was in bracket though

i dont get where all the anti-ven stuff is coming from it seems pretty clear to me at least that he's top 2

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ven went to two OOS tournaments - E4K Champion and Genesis 2.
He's been to six locals.
Well, seven, if SiN III counts as a local.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Mocha
[COLLAPSE="2012"]
Revolution 9
Dallas, TX (01/14/12)
9th out of 28
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317062[/QUOTE]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="2011"]
Hobo 34
Houston, TX (12/17/11)
25 out of 37
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=315727

Lone Star Circuit
Austin, TX (11/12/11)
33 out of 78 singles
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=314162

Battle Network 3
Houston, TX (10/22/11)
9 out of 18
http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...3#post13570373

Hobo 33
Houston, TX (09/10/11)
33 out of 48
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=310616

Battle Network 1
Houston, TX (08/27/11)
9 out of 18
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309853
[/COLLAPSE]

Ven
[COLLAPSE="2012"]Neo VegasSmash Brawl Monthlies #10
Las Vegas, NV (1/21/12)
3rd out of 25 Singles
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12939
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="2011"]Neo VegasSmash Brawl Monthlies #3
Las Vegas NV (04/10/11)
7th out of 25 singles
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11724

Neo VegasSmash Brawl Monthlies #2
Las Vegas, NV (03/21/11)
9th out of 19 singles
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11623

Neo VegasSmash Brawl Monthlies #1
Las Vegas, NV (02/27/11)
5th out of 29 singles
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11416[/COLLAPSE]

It would be debatable to me really.
Him beating someone good in pools isn't automatically top two worthy.

ven went to two OOS tournaments - E4K Champion and Genesis 2.
He's been to five locals.
He should post his results so I can update the tournament thread then.
Those are all hes submitted.

Chuee

Smash Hero
It's fine if you wanna say he's top 2 but saying "he beat RB in pools = auto top 2" is dumb.
At least go with him beating Z, it's an actual bracket win.
Overall placement >>>> who beat who in bracket.
Surely not. If a mk player gets Xth place in bracket by beating say a sheik, ROB, and a Kirby, losing to an Olimar, and another mk player gets Y (where Y is a lower placing than X) by beating a falco, diddy, and a snake, losing to the same Olimar, then is it right to logically conclude that the player who placed higher is a better overall player? I think not. Placing is a good indication of how good someone is, but you can't conclude that without analyzing who he beat and lost to in the bracket.

Aren't these all in pools?
Maybe SoCal takes pools a lot more srsly than other regions but I've never seen anyone place such a huge emphasis on pools matches.

I mean if were REALLY gonna go by pools I'm sure I could spend like 30 minutes pulling up Riot or my pool wins.
I'd like to see them :3

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Surely not. If a mk player gets Xth place in bracket by beating say a sheik, ROB, and a Kirby, losing to an Olimar, and another mk player gets Y (where Y is a lower placing than X) by beating a falco, diddy, and a snake, losing to the same Olimar, then is it right to logically conclude that the player who placed higher is a better overall player? I think not. Placing is a good indication of how good someone is, but you can't conclude that without analyzing who he beat and lost to in the bracket.

I meant to type overall placement >>> who you beat in pools.
I agree bracket wins are very important.

But I don't think beating someone in pools yet not making it out is better than making it out of bracket and placing.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Actually I can't find Riots pool results, SoCal/west coast seems to be the only place that actually saves pool results.
None of the tournaments Ive been to other than E4 and Apex have saved pools.
Other regions really don't put as much emphasis on pools as you guys are right now.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
I meant to type overall placement >>> who you beat in pools.
I agree bracket wins are very important.

But I don't think beating someone in pools yet not making it out is better than making it out of bracket and placing.
The thing is ven made it out and only lost to the same people he lost to in pools (Jebus and Kira). Kinda like Mr R playing the Japanese all weekend and rooming with them only to lose to them at APEX.

I know this feeling...

vato_break

Smash Master
ven ***** me btw, 2 stocked my mk but, vs my diddy it was close. He's also beaten richbrown i think? which is another great win. He was in socal for only a short while, like fujin but, actually did some damage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

TKD

Smash Lord
TKD, stop with the over meatriding.
I've personally critiqued a set or two of Wonf and watched his vids that he submits to the critique thread.
He is not a top 5 marth.
Nene beat Havok in bracket and money match the last time we played in TJ though (mk vs snake, marth vs mk). He got like 5th along with tearbear though because he lost to an IC by being silly.

Wonf is not like the videos, at all. He got a lot better in the past few months. His Marth is better than my Fox. He's INCREDIBLE. And I've played him and Mike. He does things I can only describe as Asian; LOL, he also looks a bit asian. He does things like double/triple fsmashes and usmash to uairs in transforming stages. And he's so fast he won't let you think like most American players do, while maintaining mix-up and execution sound. He's very good.

Oh and he got 1st and 3rd the last time Mexico made inter-region tourneys.

Monterrey vs DF
1. Wonf (Marth)
2. Chota (Falco)
3. Hyuga (Toon)

Monterrey vs Tampico vs TJ
1. TKD (MK/Fox)
2. Waymas (Wario)
3. Wonf (Marth)
4. Addy (DDD/Wario/MK)

He'd place high in any MK-banned tourney and only because he doesn't know the MK match-up since no one in his region -or most of Mexico for that matter- has a good MK (which is why he's not a threat for me yet).

IMO, most players here won't support the idea of Mexican players being good because they haven't played us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom